PDA

View Full Version : I'm up early because

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 07:11 AM
I can't sleep. Ugh - I go to bed about 12 - sleep until about 2 or 3 and then thats it- I'm wide awake and start thinking. The middle of the night is a horrible time to start thinking too - too quiet and no distractions. Anyone have some good ideas for insomnia? This has been going on for a long time and I'm going nuts. :eek:

OUHOMER
8/12/2006, 07:32 AM
Yea, but it only work for men..

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 07:33 AM
I can't sleep. Ugh - I go to bed about 12 - sleep until about 2 or 3 and then thats it- I'm wide awake and start thinking. The middle of the night is a horrible time to start thinking too - too quiet and no distractions. Anyone have some good ideas for insomnia? This has been going on for a long time and I'm going nuts. :eek:

Ambien. Seriously.

OUHOMER
8/12/2006, 07:39 AM
Yea, but it only work for focktards..

Fixed:D

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 07:41 AM
Ambien. Seriously.
Sorry Homey - Ambien makes you crazy. I've heard too many horror stories about that. My mother took it and hallucinated for a couple of days. Scary stuff. Any other suggestions?

Taxman71
8/12/2006, 07:45 AM
Do you read or do bookwork/schoolwork in bed? If so, STOP. I did this until my last year of college when a prof told me to stop doing homework in bed because it makes the brain 'come alive' when I would go to bed. It worked for me.

olevetonahill
8/12/2006, 07:52 AM
Cause I wanted to talk to Olevet :D

OUHOMER
8/12/2006, 07:56 AM
On a serious note, I have this problem from time to time. Mostly stress for me. Not finishing a task at work or home for instance. I will wake up and that is the first thing that pops into my mind and I am wide awake thinking about it. Or I will wake up about a dozen times a night. Of course I will start sleeping good about the time the alarm goes off.
What I have learned was to solve the problem, come up with a game plan to get the task finished. Then I will be able to go back to sleep.

I really dont want any drugs stronger than Tylenol PM

Now who needs a part time job? This is a task that won’t go away until somebody who can pass a damn drug test applies.

nmsoonergirl
8/12/2006, 08:01 AM
I use melatonin from time to time when I know I'm giong to be too wound up from sleep. This website has some good ideas, as well
http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/howto.html

Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate lately. If this hints don't help, you might seriously consider finding someone to talk to to help you sort through your problems.

Good luck.

Taxman71
8/12/2006, 08:04 AM
2 guaranteed tricks to going back to sleep:

1. Massage
2. Happy ending.

8/12/2006, 08:09 AM
Intense exercise at some point during the day works for me. I avoid medication to a fault, so I can't recommend anything that might help you that you probably haven't already tried.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 08:20 AM
2 guaranteed tricks to going back to sleep:

1. Massage
2. Happy ending.
My cocker spaniel just can't get the hang of massages yet -:(

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 08:23 AM
Sorry Homey - Ambien makes you crazy. I've heard too many horror stories about that. My mother took it and hallucinated for a couple of days. Scary stuff. Any other suggestions?

I can't speak to your mom's reactions, but it worked for me when I went thru a period of insominia a few years back. No problems, no side-effects. Heck, flight surgeons even give it to you when you need to catch a few hours of sleep on long-flights (while the other guy is flying.)

BoogercountySooner
8/12/2006, 08:50 AM
I use one Benadryl and a couple of Ibuprofen then I snooze like a baby!

SoonerInKCMO
8/12/2006, 10:36 AM

I need to get me some of that.

StoopTroup
8/12/2006, 10:40 AM
As long as you know it's only a hallucination...it's not that scary.

Relax and make some friend's that visit you in your sleep. ;)

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c0/250px-Freddyk.png

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 11:24 AM
NO!!!!! Her hallucinations were not cool!! She had broken her hip and was in the hospital. This was a few days after her surgery. She thought she was on the Titanic and it was sinking (no chit!) so she tried to climb to the front of the bed to keep from sinking and she rebroke her hip again in the process!! It was not a good thing. I've talked to other people who say after taking Ambien they have trouble discerning reality from hallucinating. IE - did this really happen or am I imagining it.

yermom
8/12/2006, 12:50 PM
sounds like there was a lot of other stuff going on other than Ambien...

i personally avoid drugs, so i'd probably combine what Homer and 12 are saying

Tailwind
8/12/2006, 03:16 PM
Benedryl helps me.

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 03:39 PM
Benedryl helps me.

tequila works too but the waking-up-in-a-pile-of-your-own-vomit part is a downside.

Flagstaffsooner
8/12/2006, 04:04 PM
Melatonin is great. Wild dreams though.

crawfish
8/12/2006, 04:25 PM

There's a joke here about "cocker spaniel" and "happy ending", but I ain't taking it. I'm already far enough on your fockturd list as it is. :D

yermom
8/12/2006, 05:18 PM
no peanut butter?

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 05:21 PM
sounds like there was a lot of other stuff going on other than Ambien...

i personally avoid drugs, so i'd probably combine what Homer and 12 are saying
well okay .... there may have been a little bit of morphine and anesthesia comingling with the ambien - all the more reason the doctor shouldn't have prescribed it. They say the older you are, the more side effects you can get from it. Remember when the Kennedy guy slammed into the telephone pole and wrecked his car. He was on ambien. I think they call it "sleep driving" - wacked out on ambien and he didn't even know he was driving. I think I'll stick with counting sheep.;)

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 05:25 PM
well okay .... there may have been a little bit of morphine and anesthesia comingling with the ambien - all the more reason the doctor shouldn't have prescribed it. They say the older you are, the more side effects you can get from it. Remember when the Kennedy guy slammed into the telephone pole and wrecked his car. He was on ambien. I think they call it "sleep driving" - wacked out on ambien and he didn't even know he was driving. I think I'll stick with counting sheep.;)

Jayzuz H. Kriste Babe! the guy may have had Ambien on-board, but he forgot the part about "Don't take Ambien unless you can dedicate eight hours to safe, restful sleep"

Plus,

:les: HE HAD A QUART OF GIN ON TOP!

I'm telling you, the stuff is safe. Go ahead, count sheep if you want, but Ambien is the most prescribed sleep aid on the planet.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 05:33 PM
Jayzuz H. Kriste Babe! the guy may have had Ambien on-board, but he forgot the part about "Don't take Ambien unless you can dedicate eight hours to safe, restful sleep"

Plus,

:les: HE HAD A QUART OF GIN ON TOP!

I'm telling you, the stuff is safe. Go ahead, count sheep if you want, but Ambien is the most prescribed sleep aid on the planet.
I'm just afraid to take it Homey. I'm on a couple of prescription meds and I worry about mixing them up. Course ..... come to think of it.... I'm not too worried about mixing my meds with a martini or two! Nevermind...............;)

BoogercountySooner
8/12/2006, 05:35 PM
Your other Meds may be keeping you awake Babe!

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 05:49 PM
Your other Meds may be keeping you awake Babe!
Maybe, but - everything I take says "may cause drowsiness" - I know sometimes they can have the opposite effect though. I'm not really hyper or anything - not like I'm bouncing off the walls - I just can't sleep. :(

Rogue
8/12/2006, 05:56 PM
There's lots to the sleep hygeine business of not doing anything in bed but sleep and secks. Go to bed the same time every night, stay in bed, get up the same time, don't eat or drink (especially caffeine) several hours before bedtime, etc.. I don't know what thoughts are keeping you up, but some therapists specialize in sleep disorders and, depending on what you mean by "a long time", you may have one. As the token social worker around these parts, I believe that drugs are necessary sometimes and other times they treat symptoms rather than the underlying problem. A good shrink type will rule out any physical problems first, and then maybe see if there are other reasons for you laying awake and thinking in overdrive. For what it's worth.

Rogue
8/12/2006, 06:01 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention "white noise". Having a fan or something on that creates constant meaningless noise helps some of us.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 06:07 PM
[Originally posted by Rogue]There's lots to the sleep hygeine business of not doing anything in bed but sleep and secks.
Wait - did you say sleep AND secks? Well good golly Miss Molly - there appears to be no reason for me to even go to bed at all!!!:cool:

But seriously......thank you for your advice. I'm much obliged.:)
yes I have the fan thing going. I have two fans as a matter of fact. No fan - too quiet and too quiet is too loud.

Flagstaffsooner
8/12/2006, 06:14 PM
I think I'll stick with counting sheep.That works for Mike Gundy. After his sixth sheep he is so tired......

Rogue
8/12/2006, 06:17 PM
...shoulda said "or"

Zbird
8/13/2006, 11:44 AM
NO!!!!! Her hallucinations were not cool!! She had broken her hip and was in the hospital. This was a few days after her surgery. She thought she was on the Titanic and it was sinking (no chit!) so she tried to climb to the front of the bed to keep from sinking and she rebroke her hip again in the process!! It was not a good thing. I've talked to other people who say after taking Ambien they have trouble discerning reality from hallucinating. IE - did this really happen or am I imagining it.

Sounds like a Demorol reaction to me not Ambien. Are you sure she wasn't on demorol for pain too?

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a Demorol reaction to me not Ambien. Are you sure she wasn't on demorol for pain too?
I think she was on a morphine drip for pain. Might have had the same effect though. Don't imagine it is a wise idea to mix morphine with much of anything.

LoyalFan
8/13/2006, 09:46 PM

OK, I can accept that, but how does he do on the joyous terminations?

But seriously, folks...

SBIB, try eating a ripe banana each afternoon. Your problem may be "low potassium", and 'nanners are loaded with the stuff.
It's worked for me and it worked for my late dad. It was recommended by his physician, a Chinese MD in Dallas.
It's inexpensive and there's no risk of addiction or side-effects.
May take a few days to have an effect but it's definitely worth a shot.
http://forums.spybot.info/images/smilies/animated/banana.gif

Best of luck,

LoyalFan
Master of Happy Endings, BTW.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 10:19 PM
I like bananas:cool: Especially dancing ones

http://www.clappingfetus.com/Flash/peanutbutterjelly.html