PDA

View Full Version : Eyeglass Shopping

mdklatt
8/11/2006, 11:02 PM
I haven't gotten new glasses in forever. What are some good places around Norman/OKC to go? More importantly, what are places to avoid?

Jimminy Crimson
8/12/2006, 04:39 AM
If you want to check out some cool glasses, try Dick Story Optical across the street from Penn Square mall in that white shopping center. (on Penn)

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 07:18 AM
You might want to sift through the drop box at the Salvation Army thrift store - they usually have some pretty cool things there. The price is right too!!

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 07:22 AM
I haven't gotten new glasses in forever. What are some good places around Norman/OKC to go? More importantly, what are places to avoid?

Allow me to recommend some glasses. I have these. Light as a feather, and practically indestructible. In fact, they are so light you can't even feel them when you have them on. They aren't cheap but they are worth the price. I love them, and have worn them for a couple years now.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3545/xxeyeglasses190724374682zl9.gif (http://imageshack.us)
No hinges, no screws, 100% titanium frame. Mine are made under the brand name "Silhouette." They offer several lens shapes too.

olevetonahill
8/12/2006, 08:05 AM
Do you need reading Glasses ?
I bought mine for a buck 85 at the bargain shack . A hard plastic carrying case that I carry in my pants pocket . works for this old dude !:D

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2006, 08:26 AM
I would avoid places that don't sell eyeglasses.

olevetonahill
8/12/2006, 08:32 AM
I would avoid places that don't sell eyeglasses.
Yup and then theres the Jiffy lube ! you might want to avoid them also .

SoonerInKCMO
8/12/2006, 10:45 AM
Allow me to recommend some glasses. I have these. Light as a feather, and practically indestructible. In fact, they are so light you can't even feel them when you have them on. They aren't cheap but they are worth the price. I love them, and have worn them for a couple years now.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3545/xxeyeglasses190724374682zl9.gif (http://imageshack.us)
No hinges, no screws, 100% titanium frame. Mine are made under the brand name "Silhouette." They offer several lens shapes too.

EyeWearPalace.com has a whole bunch of Silhouette models for about $160 each.

oumartin
8/12/2006, 10:50 AM
I wear these and the chicks go crazy!

http://trickakissintime.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bcg_birth_control_glasses.jpg

PrideTrombone
8/12/2006, 10:59 AM

One of the parents of the students I teach is a sales rep for Silhouette. I get free ones. :)

GottaHavePride
8/12/2006, 10:59 AM

I actually like the glasses made out of that springy/bendy metal - they're much more resistant to getting bent out of shape, so they seem to fit better to me.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 11:28 AM
Okay GHP and MDK - I'm gonna tell you again. Shuck the eyeglasses and get you some contact lenses!!!! You will love them - I'm telling you. You just pop them on your finger - and poke them in your eyeballs!!! I know how crazy you and MDK are about poking your fingers in your eyes. The excrutiating, seering pain only lasts about thirty minutes though and then you are good to go.;)

I'm kidding, I'm kidding - contacts are great!:)

Hamhock
8/12/2006, 12:05 PM
Why don't you get LASIK?

Hamhock
8/12/2006, 12:07 PM
nm

Rusher
8/12/2006, 12:27 PM
Some people look good with eyeglasses, though.

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 02:26 PM
Some people look good with eyeglasses, though.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1821/yybookoq0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mdklatt
8/13/2006, 12:01 AM
Okay GHP and MDK - I'm gonna tell you again. Shuck the eyeglasses and get you some contact lenses!!!!

Ummmm...NO.

mdklatt
8/13/2006, 12:03 AM
Why don't you get LASIK?

Unlike having a laser pointed at your eye, eyeglasses can't make you go blind. :cool:

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 12:12 AM
I just got tired of the hassle with glasses. They drive me nuts. Slipping down my nose - pushing them up again. I wear them mostly just for reading now - yeah I know- I'm getting old!!

proud gonzo
8/13/2006, 12:14 AM
Okay GHP and MDK - I'm gonna tell you again. Shuck the eyeglasses and get you some contact lenses!!!! You will love them - I'm telling you. You just pop them on your finger - and poke them in your eyeballs!!! I know how crazy you and MDK are about poking your fingers in your eyes. The excrutiating, seering pain only lasts about thirty minutes though and then you are good to go.;)

I'm kidding, I'm kidding - contacts are great!:)
1. GHP looks better with glasses than without...looks more normal since he's been wearing glasses since he was 9 or so, i'm guessing
2. GHP probably has too many allergy problems to really make contacts worth it.

Penguin
8/13/2006, 12:20 AM
I agree with the lasik. It's like circumcision. It's great if there's no problem. However, if there is a problem, the results are really, really, really bad and it's permanent.

I switched to contacts 2 years ago and I will never go back. Give it a shot.

proud gonzo
8/13/2006, 12:23 AM
i've been thinking about contacts, actually. i'm going to wait a while though. Since i started allergy shots i'm having fewer problems and less severe ones, so that means instead of sinus trouble i get itchy eyes a lot. I figure i'll wait until that gets better.

mdklatt
8/13/2006, 12:26 AM
I agree with the lasik. It's like circumcision.

No way is anybody ever going to point a laser at my weenis. :eek:

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 01:06 AM
No contacts with me. Allergies make my eyes itch pretty regularly, and I can't stand the thought of sticking anything in my eye.

Why don't you get LASIK?

I want LASIK. I just want to wait until I'm 35 or so. I figure by then they'll have the procedure really figured out and my eyes will have completely settled. From what I've read most doctors recommend you wait until about that age anyway.

I would love to be able to buy a regular pair of sunglasses and wear them without having to keep up with my indoor glasses the whole time.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 01:20 AM
I would love to be able to buy a regular pair of sunglasses and wear them without having to keep up with my indoor glasses the whole time.

You can still do that you know. Just get you a prescription pair of sunglasses. Or if you have an older pair of glasses, take them in and have them tinted. I have done that and it's a lot cheaper than a new pair of prescription ones.

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 01:30 AM
You can still do that you know. Just get you a prescription pair of sunglasses. Or if you have an older pair of glasses, take them in and have them tinted. I have done that and it's a lot cheaper than a new pair of prescription ones.

I have a pair of prescription sunglasses. But I still have to carry my regular glasses around with me for when I go back inside.

soonerboomer93
8/13/2006, 03:52 AM
just use magnetic clip ons, much simpler

mdklatt
8/16/2006, 10:00 AM
Perhaps Eyemaster in Sooner Mall needs to be added to the places to avoid list. Something still feels wrong about my new eyeglasses, even though I've had them since Saturday. I took them to my optometrist's office this morning, and one of the lenses has the wrong prescription. I wonder how often that happens.

I'm always paranoid that something like that will happen when I get new glasses, and I'll never figure it out and will just be walking around with slightly imperfect vision and eye strain. I also get stressed out at the optometrist's office. Does #2 really look better than #1, or I have I just doomed myself to the wrong prescription, which will surely lead to blindness in six months. :eek:

phead903
8/16/2006, 10:12 AM

You can also now get sunglass contact lenses. One of the girls on my daughter's soccer team has them - She says there like wearing sunglasses, only there's no frame slipping off her nose all the time.

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 10:17 AM
People that use the whole "lasik is dangerous" excuse for not having their vision corrected are ignorant.

Look at statistics. Look at facts. And pretty much everybody would undergo a surgical procedure to improve their health. Bad eyesight is a medical problem that is easily corrected through simple/painless surgery. Not taking advantage of it is just plain dumb.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 10:20 AM
if my eyes get bad enough to make lasik worth it, i'll do it. Dean talked me into it ;)

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 10:21 AM
People that use the whole "lasik is dangerous" excuse for not having their vision corrected are ignorant.

Look at statistics. Look at facts. And pretty much everybody would undergo a surgical procedure to improve their health. Bad eyesight is a medical problem that is easily corrected through simple/painless surgery. Not taking advantage of it is just plain dumb.

Ease up there cow pie. We understand you had it done so it's the best thing since sliced bread but you are not correct.

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/risks.htm

Most patients are very pleased with the results of their refractive surgery. However, like any other medical procedure, there are risks involved. That's why it is important for you to understand the limitations and possible complications of refractive surgery.

Before undergoing a refractive procedure, you should carefully weigh the risks and benefits based on your own personal value system, and try to avoid being influenced by friends that have had the procedure or doctors encouraging you to do so.

Some patients lose vision. Some patients lose lines of vision on the vision chart that cannot be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or surgery as a result of treatment.

Some patients develop debilitating visual symptoms. Some patients develop glare, halos, and/or double vision that can seriously affect nighttime vision. Even with good vision on the vision chart, some patients do not see as well in situations of low contrast, such as at night or in fog, after treatment as compared to before treatment.

You may be under treated or over treated. Only a certain percent of patients achieve 20/20 vision without glasses or contacts. You may require additional treatment, but additional treatment may not be possible. You may still need glasses or contact lenses after surgery. This may be true even if you only required a very weak prescription before surgery. If you used reading glasses before surgery, you may still need reading glasses after surgery.

Some patients may develop severe dry eye syndrome. As a result of surgery, your eye may not be able to produce enough tears to keep the eye moist and comfortable. Dry eye not only causes discomfort, but can reduce visual quality due to intermittent blurring and other visual symptoms. This condition may be permanent. Intensive drop therapy and use of plugs or other procedures may be required.

Results are generally not as good in patients with very large refractive errors of any type. You should discuss your expectations with your doctor and realize that you may still require glasses or contacts after the surgery.

For some farsighted patients, results may diminish with age. If you are farsighted, the level of improved vision you experience after surgery may decrease with age. This can occur if your manifest refraction (a vision exam with lenses before dilating drops) is very different from your cycloplegic refraction (a vision exam with lenses after dilating drops).

Long-term data is not available. LASIK is a relatively new technology. The first laser was approved for LASIK eye surgery in 1998. Therefore, the long-term safety and effectiveness of LASIK surgery is not known.

mdklatt
8/16/2006, 10:24 AM

It's not "dangerous". It has risks. Given that it's a replacement for something with zero risk, I think I'll pass.

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 10:24 AM
Yeah, OK. Dude who did mine had over 15K procedures under his belt. And that was almost 7 years ago. Millions served. Just like McDonald's.

Yes, there is a risk. No ****. But getting out of bed and taking a shower is risky. Driving your car, walking across the street, and boarding an airplane. Risky. So, what you're saying is we should all sit at home and do nothing so we can be safe. That'll work.

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah, OK. Dude who did mine had over 15K procedures under his belt. And that was almost 7 years ago. Millions served. Just like McDonald's.

Yes, there is a risk. No ****. But getting out of bed and taking a shower is risky. Driving your car, walking across the street, and boarding an airplane. Risky. So, what you're saying is we should all sit at home and do nothing so we can be safe. That'll work.

Yes, Tuba. That's what I'm saying.
;)

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 10:26 AM
It's not "dangerous". It has risks. Given that it's a replacement for something with zero risk, I think I'll pass.

Ever have a pair of glasses shatter? Ever been punched in the face with glasses on? (I'm thinking probably lots of times) Ever embed a pair of glasses into the bridge of your nose? Ever cut an eyebrow when you bump your head wearing glasses? Ever ride a motorcycle in the rain with glasses? Ever have a pair of glasses fog up while driving?

Risk free? Hardly.

TopDaugIn2000
8/16/2006, 10:29 AM
my eyes are much to dry to wear contacts (thanks to taking 10 months of Accutane in h.s.) so I'm stuck in glasses. I always told myself I'd finish ruining my eyes in college, and then get Lasik. Well, I've been out for over 2 years now and STILL haven't gotten it done yet. Maybe someday.

mdklatt
8/16/2006, 10:32 AM
Ever have a pair of glasses shatter? Ever been punched in the face with glasses on? (I'm thinking probably lots of times) Ever embed a pair of glasses into the bridge of your nose? Ever cut an eyebrow when you bump your head wearing glasses? Ever ride a motorcycle in the rain with glasses? Ever have a pair of glasses fog up while driving?

No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.

It's fine and dandy that you're happy with your LASIK, but I'm not going to pay thousands of dollars to have somebody shoot frickin' laser beams into my eyes when eyeglasses work just fine for me.

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 10:37 AM
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.

It's fine and dandy that you're happy with your LASIK, but I'm not going to pay thousands of dollars to have somebody shoot frickin' laser beams into my eyes when eyeglasses work just fine for me.

Cool. And I'll live my life without irrational fears - and make sure if I ever need lasik again I won't visit Dr. Evil.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 10:43 AM

dude, that's not safe either. your *** could fall asleep! :eek:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/16/2006, 10:50 AM

Look at statistics. Look at facts. And pretty much everybody would undergo a surgical procedure to improve their health. Bad eyesight is a medical problem that is easily corrected through simple/painless surgery. Not taking advantage of it is just plain dumb.I was so blind in my right eye that I figured if the surgeon slipped up it wouldn't be any big loss.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 10:53 AM
I actually was saved by my glasses once. A retard accidentally hit me in the face with the bell of his baritone and thankfully my glasses absorbed part of the impact so he didn't break my nose, it just swelled up and hurt a lot. I still have a dent in the cartilage though.

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 10:53 AM
dude, that's not safe either. your *** could fall asleep! :eek:

Which could lead to edema or thrombosis causing a blood clot to go to your lungs or heart and kill your *** dead. Lasik is starting to look a lot safer.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 10:54 AM
Which could lead to edema or thrombosis causing a blood clot to go to your lungs or heart and kill your *** dead. Lasik is starting to look a lot safer.
yeah, plus you'd be all tingly and sh*t :D

phead903
8/16/2006, 01:44 PM

Ever seen a grown man naked, Bobby? Do you like to watch Gladiator movies?:D