PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Jermaine can be...

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 10:09 PM
...an immediate impact player this year ????

BASSooner
8/11/2006, 10:10 PM
i think he can be

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 10:12 PM
He seems to have all of the tools to have an impact...

BASSooner
8/11/2006, 10:14 PM
i heard hes one heck of a receiver. if he can block well too, look out!

Newbomb Turk
8/11/2006, 10:14 PM
depends how you define "impact".

can be - yes.

will be - no.

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 10:16 PM
depends how you define "impact".

can be - yes.

will be - no.

Why not Turk ???

Newbomb Turk
8/11/2006, 10:18 PM
Why not Turk ???

I just wonder how much we get the ball to the TE - especially a true freshman TE. Everybody ripped on Long for not getting the TE's involved. I just wonder how much it will change. I also question how much we throw the ball with Thompson at QB. Basically...just a bunch of questions from me.

Clever Trevor
8/11/2006, 10:20 PM
I think you need to stick with your first two TEs on the depth chart - Finley and Eldridge. Let Edridge block and let Finley be Thompson's safety valve or outlet when he feels the heat.

Big Red Ron
8/11/2006, 10:21 PM
Tight ends are often the best reciever on a run oriented passing offense. Especially athletic 6'7 guys.

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 10:22 PM
Good points...we have never really focused on a freshman TE...

BASSooner
I think you need to stick with your first two TEs on the depth chart - Finley and Eldridge. Let Edridge block and let Finley be Thompson's safety valve or outlet when he feels the heat.
Eldridge just made the switch to TE

TheGodfather889
I'm very high on Jermaine Gresham. He's 6'7 and very athletic. I think he'll be a big weapon in the offense. He won't start the beginning of the season but I imagine by the end he'll start over Joe Jon Finley.

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 10:24 PM
I'm very high on Jermaine Gresham. He's 6'7 and very athletic. I think he'll be a big weapon in the offense. He won't start the beginning of the season but I imagine by the end he'll start over Joe Jon Finley.

"By the end" or by Texas ???

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 10:37 PM
What type of speed does he have ?? Does he possess end-around potential ?

Clever Trevor
8/11/2006, 10:50 PM
Eldridge just made the switch to TE
Last I heard on this board, he was over 260, you need a blocker more than a receiver (which you may have in Finley).

Newbomb Turk
8/11/2006, 10:53 PM
What type of speed does he have ?? Does he possess end-around potential ?

4.5'ish speed from what I heard. A freak for his size.

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 10:54 PM
Get ready for the secret end-around play....

jackietreehorn
8/11/2006, 11:00 PM
well it's not a secret now, thanks!! you know mack reads our board!:D

Clever Trevor
8/11/2006, 11:01 PM
I heard closer to 4.6 on Rivals. He's got a lot of leg to get up to 4.5 ish. If it's 4.5 ish it's 4.58-9

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 11:03 PM
I heard closer to 4.6 on Rivals. He's got a lot of leg to get up to 4.5 ish. If it's 4.5 ish it's 4.58-9

That is really a negative analysis...you sound like Trev...

Snrfn4ever08
8/11/2006, 11:03 PM
i think he could end up being a huge part of our passing game. we know we don't have a jason white-style drop back and throw bombs kind of quarterback. i do have a lot of confidence that this guy could help us out in the short pass department. if we can get a good TE passing game established with short passes and screen passes to peterson, i think we'll be in great shape. one more talented blocker for our RB's doesn't hurt either.

Clever Trevor
8/11/2006, 11:04 PM
That is really a negative analysis...you sound like Trev...
but I predict greatness!

There, that's Vintage Trevor!

Newbomb Turk
8/11/2006, 11:05 PM

4.59 = 4.5ish...you turd. ;)

Clever Trevor
8/11/2006, 11:07 PM
Well, your ***** assed conditioning coach always rounds down for forty times!

Sorry having too much fun in the other thread.

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 11:10 PM
Well, your ***** assed conditioning coach always rounds down for forty times!

You're use of the word "your" is very telling...enemy...

Newbomb Turk
8/11/2006, 11:11 PM

you should be....turd!

sooneron
8/11/2006, 11:29 PM
I think Gresham will be contributing on a regular basis by Dallas.

goingoneight
8/11/2006, 11:34 PM
I'm betting on the "no." Why? Because I'm one to believe that until we establish solid blocking, OUr tight ends and fullbacks will be used heavily to aide AD and ENA. Could venture out if we get off to a good start.

Soonerus
8/11/2006, 11:37 PM
Who knows ? I hope he is an All-American as a frosh...

Newbomb Turk
8/11/2006, 11:42 PM
I think Gresham will be contributing on a regular basis by Dallas.

What is a "regular basis".

DrZaius
8/12/2006, 07:44 AM
This is what Stoops said after testing in camp. Gresham He's 6-6, 260, runs a 4.47. They sadi that he needs to work on his blocking but he runs like a freak.

DrZaius
8/12/2006, 07:45 AM
That came straight from Stoops not some crappy Rivals board.

DrZaius
8/12/2006, 07:49 AM
Wilson said that he still needs some work but physically he is a monster. He needs to work a lot on his blocking skillz but he should get ample playing time this season. As of right now Finley and Eldridge will be the starters.

umberto
8/12/2006, 08:50 AM
Every year at this time, I remember Chuck "3rd &" Long talking about getting the TE more involved. Let's hope that Wilson actually follows through on that promise. We have a ton of talent at the position, and a TE can really be an inexperienced QBs best friend.

stoopified
8/12/2006, 10:22 AM
Good points...we have never really focused on a freshman TE...
Are we forgetting a guy named Jackson?I doubted his (Jermaine)chances starting his senior year at Ardmore when he was around 230 lbs and those doubts were compounded by his knee injury,but based on what I have heard and seen of him since camp started,I think he can be an impact player.At 6'7 250 he is an imposing target,add to that 4.4 speed and great hands,the possibilties are staggering.I think with ENA as qb and not being a polished passer will actually enhance the chances that Greasham WILL have an impact.My reasoning is simple,at 6'7 and with 4.4 speed,ENA has more margin for error.It IS harder to overthrow a 6'7 target and 4.4 speed gives Jermaine the speed to catch up to or adjust to poorly thrown balls.

Paperclip
8/12/2006, 10:54 AM
So...we're not talking about Jermaine Hardison?

stoopified
8/12/2006, 02:23 PM
So...we're not talking about Jermaine Hardison?No P,we are not.You once told me it wasn't PC to call you PC becuse paperclip was one word.I guess that just makes you plain 'ol P for short.:D

soonerinabilene
8/12/2006, 03:03 PM
i hope he is. we need a trent smith kind of threat to keep the safeties and lb's from crowding the box. all i know is the play action te pass works really good from the i on ncaa '07:D

Snrfn4ever08
8/12/2006, 03:36 PM
i hope he is. we need a trent smith kind of threat to keep the safeties and lb's from crowding the box. all i know is the play action te pass works really good from the i on ncaa '07:D
yea, but ncaa 07 also has linebackers jumping about 6 feet into the air:D

Big John
8/12/2006, 04:36 PM
I'm betting on the "no." Why? Because I'm one to believe that until we establish solid blocking, OUr tight ends and fullbacks will be used heavily to aide AD and ENA. Could venture out if we get off to a good start.
I know this is kind of picky, but with the way coach Wilson was talking about how he was disappointed with the fullbacks in the spring leads me to think that he won't use fullbacks unless at the goaline or fourth and short. Anyways, during the Holiday Bowl (which I know is just 1 game), Wilson threw it to Joe Jon a few times, which is a few more than Long threw to him. So I predict that with Joe Jon being similar to Gresham (both being about 6'6 and athletic), that Gresham should figure into the passing game by the time we play Texas with all the positive comments that are being said about him by the coaching staff.

PalmBeachSooner
8/12/2006, 07:01 PM
The thing is that when Gresham is in he will line not line up next to the tackle very often. He will line up split out. It forces a defensive player (LB) to cover him. Then it becomes a chess game as to whether or not the defensive player wants to cheat to the run and expose himself to a big pass play.

To be an impact doesnt require JG to catch a lot of passes. All he has to do is make the defense respect his presence by catching some passes and the offense can use that to their advantage. You can't tell me that an althletic 6'7" TE with skills won't accomplish that.

There is no way in heck that KW won't use Gresham.

FlatheadSooner
8/12/2006, 08:35 PM
I read recently that Jermaine is The Buzz from preseason practice so far.

:)

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/12/2006, 08:43 PM
Well if he has already put on 20 pounds of muscle...the fears of him being complacent and not a hard worker could seemingly be put aside!

goingoneight
8/13/2006, 12:21 AM
I know this is kind of picky, but with the way coach Wilson was talking about how he was disappointed with the fullbacks in the spring leads me to think that he won't use fullbacks unless at the goaline or fourth and short. Anyways, during the Holiday Bowl (which I know is just 1 game), Wilson threw it to Joe Jon a few times, which is a few more than Long threw to him. So I predict that with Joe Jon being similar to Gresham (both being about 6'6 and athletic), that Gresham should figure into the passing game by the time we play Texas with all the positive comments that are being said about him by the coaching staff.

I agree, I do believe it is smart to use the FB sparingly with the loss of an underappreciated JD. But as I stated, If there's one in there, he'll be using his mass instead of his hands IMHO. The 2006 O-unit needs to be solely focused on blocking until ENA knocks the rust off.

bixby28
8/14/2006, 10:23 PM
Wilson said that he still needs some work but physically he is a monster. He needs to work a lot on his blocking skillz but he should get ample playing time this season. As of right now Finley and Eldridge will be the starters.

I agree with you on that. He's not going to play much if he doesn't block well. I noticed him split out a few times at the scrimmage on Saturday, probably nothing Joe Jon can't do, but shows the coaches realize the possibilities with Gresham. He'll be sharing starting time by Texas i would think.

during the full contact portion of the scrimmage i noticed him picking up blocks pretty well on more than one occassion.

47straight
8/15/2006, 01:55 AM
I'm gonna wait for game performance before I rant and rave on him... been burned too much lately.