PDA

View Full Version : Scariest, Most Disturbing Movie Trailer EVAR as a child

AllAboutThe'O'
8/11/2006, 10:00 PM
This wins hands down. Scared the bejeebus out of me as a kid.
It's the trailer from the 1978 film "Magic," starring Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist with an "evil" dummy. Believe it or not, the film was OK, the dummy wasn't too scary, but the trailer was a whole other story.

Shout out to You Tube for unearthing this scary gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvSw5v3PoFw

Clever Trevor
8/11/2006, 10:05 PM
I thought it was Dennis Christopher. Burgess Meredith was the creepy part.

FaninAma
8/11/2006, 10:11 PM
Rhinestone Cowboy with Sylvester Stallone and Dolly Parton. I still haven't gotten over the trauma of the images of Sylvester Stallone singing country and western.:texan:

AllAboutThe'O'
8/11/2006, 10:15 PM
Rhinestone Cowboy with Sylvester Stallone and Dolly Parton. I still haven't gotten over the trauma of the images of Sylvester Stallone singing country and western.:texan:
I think the title of the movie was just Rhinestone.

FaninAma
8/11/2006, 10:25 PM
I think the title of the movie was just Rhinestone.

Oh gee thanks. It's taken years of psychoanalysis and millions of dollars to even start to forget the name of that horror flick. Thanks a lot.:mad:

8/11/2006, 10:36 PM
How can you discuss this when we're only MOMENTS away from a SF.com milestone?

But "The Shining" trailor made me go out and read the book as fast as i could when I was in 5th grade. When the film came to town, my dad took me to the theater in Woodward (downtown, oldschool, yo, not that new place on the west side, yo) to see it one evening.

I'm not sure I've slept really well ever since.

proud gonzo
8/11/2006, 11:24 PM
I don't remember any movie trailers from when i was a child... :confused:

leavingthezoo
8/11/2006, 11:49 PM
I don't remember any movie trailers from when i was a child... :confused:

don't worry. when you're an adult the memories will sneak up on you. ;)

pb4ou
8/12/2006, 12:03 AM
I didn't see this trailer as a child, but it was unexpected. I don't think anyone knew what was coming. It showed a beautiful scene in Central Park and a type of elevator music to the tune of New York, New York, was playing. And the picture was zooming in on what looked like some sort of statue standing with the view from the back. When it got close, Jason Vorhees turned around in the hockey mask and everyone just seemed to jump about 3 feet out of their seats. It was classic. It was the first I had ever heard of the upcoming movie...Friday The 13th Part VIII, Jason Takes Manhattan. This was pre-internet days of course. Movie trailers can't surprise you like that anymore.

The actual movie sucked, but the trailer was pretty funny. I bet some kids had a few nightmares after that one.

bri
8/12/2006, 12:04 AM
Oh man, I'd forgotten how f*ckin' creepy that damn Magic trailer was.

For me personally, the trailer Showtime would run for The Town That Dreaded Sundown chilled my grade-school self to the core. I remember one time I was in the other room, making houses and boats with my Lite-Brite, and I HEARD the commercial being played in the living room and freaked out and started crying hysterically. Years later, I finally watched the movie and was like, "What? That's it?"

Honorable mention goes to the Jaws trailer. Orson Welles is teh rule!

TUSooner
8/12/2006, 12:04 AM
I've never liked the Wizard of Oz. Never.