PDA

View Full Version : Another Thing on this Oregon Game...

StuIsTheMan
8/11/2006, 02:23 PM
About the noise at Autzen...If the OU faithfull travel as good as I think they will, the croud should be about a 1 to 3 UO advantage...and with AP taking the 1st play from scrimmage for a TD all you'll here for the rest of the day is....

Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner
Boomer Sooner, OK U!
Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Oklahoma, OK U!
I'm a Sooner born and Sooner bred
and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead
Rah Oklahoma, Rah Oklahoma
Rah Oklahoma, OK U!

over and over...

Can't wait for the game...

fadada1
8/11/2006, 02:43 PM
ya know, this whole "autzen stadium is loud" thing is a bit silly.

there IS a ceiling for loudness. i bet a big game at OU is as loud, or louder (more people), than autzen.

let me tell you, OWEN FIELD is louder than the swamp. maybe not the sustained loudness, but it IS louder overall.

I_Live_In_OK
8/11/2006, 02:48 PM
I hear Autzen is compact. There's not a lot of seats (something like 40,000) but on a good day, they are loud. Like Gallagher-Iba.

Owen Field is just plain hostile. It also can get intensely quiet.

fadada1
8/11/2006, 02:50 PM
Like Gallagher-Iba.

ah yes, the "pantry of doom".

SoonerDood
8/11/2006, 02:59 PM
who's this AP?
where can I get Boomer Sooner ringtone?
TIA

PDXsooner
8/11/2006, 03:23 PM

there IS a ceiling for loudness. i bet a big game at OU is as loud, or louder (more people), than autzen.

let me tell you, OWEN FIELD is louder than the swamp. maybe not the sustained loudness, but it IS louder overall.

a-ha! i'm glad you brought this up. I've been to multiple game at both, and here's my take. you're right, when a packed stadium erupts, is it really that much different from stadium to stadium? probably not. the thing about oregon that will impress you is the SUSTAINED loudness. they keep it going a lot longer, stand on every play, and the noise continues throughout the whole game (considering it's a competitive game).

my theory is that OU's fanbase is older (more history) and therefore the blue hairs negate some of the youthful decibels in Owen field. same thing with a lot of the traditionally good teams. older fanbases aren't as loud. you have old people telling you to sit down which in my opinion is inexcusable.

soonervegas
8/11/2006, 03:30 PM
It cannot be any louder than Kitty State when they have things going in Manhattan. We were down on the field level in 2000 and it was unbelievably loud in the 4th quarter.

fadada1
8/11/2006, 03:31 PM
a-ha! i'm glad you brought this up. I've been to multiple game at both, and here's my take. you're right, when a packed stadium erupts, is it really that much different from stadium to stadium? probably not. the thing about oregon that will impress you is the SUSTAINED loudness. they keep it going a lot longer, stand on every play, and the noise continues throughout the whole game (considering it's a competitive game).

my theory is that OU's fanbase is older (more history) and therefore the blue hairs negate some of the youthful decibels in Owen field. same thing with a lot of the traditionally good teams. older fanbases aren't as loud. you have old people telling you to sit down which in my opinion is inexcusable.
i'm gald we agree.

autzen may be loud, but they're just yelling at all the hippie tree hugging freaks to shower and take their berkinstocks off.;) :D :texan:

fadada1
8/11/2006, 03:32 PM
It cannot be any louder than Kitty State when they have things going in Manhattan. We were down on the field level in 2000 and it was unbelievably loud in the 4th quarter.
building on my previous post regarding autzen, kstaters are just anxious to get out and back to the county fair.

StuIsTheMan
8/11/2006, 03:41 PM
who's this AP?
where can I get Boomer Sooner ringtone?
TIA

You really got to be kidding me right?

OU GENO
8/11/2006, 04:07 PM
I want it to be real loud that gets me even more pumped up! There is nothing more exciting than OU FOOTBALL! 25 of the SWARM will be there and if you know us we will be partying. We are just a group of diehard fans (not a club) that love OU! The Oregon fans we have met are 1st class and can't wait to tailgate with them. BOOMER SOONER!

Bruiser53
8/11/2006, 04:16 PM
No he's not kidding you. I believe you meant to say AD, I know no AP.

StuIsTheMan
8/11/2006, 04:32 PM
No he's not kidding you. I believe you meant to say AD, I know no AP.
OK AP=Adrian Peterson
AD=what?

soonersam
8/11/2006, 04:44 PM
aTm brought in extra bleachers and tried to set a stupid noise record.... I dont think it bothered Marshall as he ran back the int.....

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/11/2006, 04:46 PM
FAQ

That means frequently asked questions

fadada1
8/11/2006, 04:51 PM
FAQ=Adrian Peterson

fixed

StuIsTheMan
8/11/2006, 04:59 PM
fixed
Gotcha..Sorry about the lingo there...AD does = Adrian Peterson...My bad...ALL DAY baby!

soonerboy_odanorth
8/11/2006, 05:00 PM
For what it's worth, my buddy and I had a Bama fan tell us after the game that when Renaldo Works broke free on that shovel pass and the stadium erupted that it was the loudest he had ever heard a stadium anywhere.

And of course that was before the expansion was completed...

I thought that was a pretty high compliment coming from SEC-land.

fadada1
8/11/2006, 05:03 PM
Gotcha..Sorry about the lingo there...AD does = Adrian Peterson...My bad...ALL DAY baby!
ahhh, you misunderstood... FAQ=Adrian Peterson, NOT "AD".;)

nobody tell bob barry, or he'll actually call him "FAQ".

soonerboy_odanorth
8/11/2006, 05:05 PM
One other thing about loud stadiums, too. Maybe we're used to it as participants, but there is no stadium in the country that at any time is any louder than the Cotton Bowl is for OU-Texas. You've got a guaranteed 38,000 plus yelling on every play. And if it is a particularly crucial point of the ball game (of which there are always about 3 or 4 dozen ;) ) you've got all 78,000 screaming at the top of their lungs.

Though I still maintain that I have never heard a stadium as loud as Owen Field was for 2000 Nebraska.

We'll see if we can't crank the volume just a little bit for Miami next year! :D

The Maestro
8/11/2006, 05:05 PM
The next game OU loses cause the fans in an opposing stadium were just too danged loud will be the first.

Make more plays...they shutup. Just ask Bama after a fake punt and a bomb to Brandon Jones...man, it was library quiet inside that stadium at that point.

StuIsTheMan
8/11/2006, 05:10 PM
ahhh, you misunderstood... FAQ=Adrian Peterson, NOT "AD".;)

nobody tell bob barry, or he'll actually call him "FAQ".
Now Iam confused...if AP and AD don't=Adrian Peterson and FAQ does...WHAT DOES FAQ MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soonerboy_odanorth
8/11/2006, 05:11 PM
Who's on first?

Miko
8/11/2006, 05:12 PM
who's this AP?

AP (More commonly called "Perk") wore #28. He graduated. He was good. He liked returning punts. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
8/11/2006, 05:40 PM
I don't know.

Quack 10
8/11/2006, 05:50 PM
Well, I for one don't think stadium volume will play much of a part in the outcome of the game, but you've certainly got some facts wrong in this thread.

Autzen seats about 56,000 since the expansion a couple of years ago, not 40,000. And there is no way in hell that OU will put 12,000 Sooners fans in it. The game is already sold out, and there won't be more than maybe 6,000 OU faithful there ... that's a lock.

The noise at Autzen is more about acoustics than sheer numbers, as those of you who attend the game will see. If it was just about numbers, then Michigan would be amoung the loudest stadiums in the country, and it certainly isn't.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/11/2006, 05:53 PM
Third base.

SoonerJedi
8/11/2006, 07:27 PM

They average about 50k in attendance ... Owen Field averages about 85k ... you do the math.

No SEC or Big12 team ever came away from a PAC10 game going "Man they were loud".

AlbqSooner
8/11/2006, 07:38 PM
Just ask Bama after a fake punt and a bomb to Brandon Jones...man, it was library quiet inside that stadium at that point.
Very True - I was there. The Bama possession before that was one of the louder stadiums I have been in. Cotton Bowl on the (normally) 2nd Saturday in October is louder than Florida/FSU in the Swamp. I have been there too.

tbl
8/11/2006, 08:02 PM
I'm shocked that there are Sooner fans out there that don't know what AD means. No offense, but I'm honestly shocked.

birddog
8/11/2006, 08:10 PM
the 2000 neb. game was louder than ou=a&m at kyle field in 2000. and that place was rockin when they were up 10 in the 4th. i wish we could be loud in between plays, not just when the visitors step up to the line.

birddog
8/11/2006, 08:10 PM
amen jeffrey, amen. unless you became a fan around 2 pm you should know what ad stands for.

Partial Qualifier
8/11/2006, 08:45 PM
I'm shocked that there are Sooner fans out there that don't know what AD means. No offense, but I'm honestly shocked.

Just to be clear.

After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize.

There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

PDXsooner
8/11/2006, 09:31 PM
come on, don't be a fag

Vegas Vic
8/11/2006, 09:37 PM
I hear Autzen is compact. There's not a lot of seats (something like 40,000) but on a good day, they are loud. Like Gallagher-Iba.

With their recent expansions, the capacity is close to 60,000. It's not the sheer numbers that make it loud. It's the close proximity of the fans to the field and the steep vertical incline. The decibel level on the field is definitely one of the highest of the college stadiums. Michigan and USC players have said it's the loudest place they've ever played at.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5237/autzenstadiumeugeneorcl7.jpg

OU GENO
8/12/2006, 08:47 AM
This sounds like the stoolwater basketball court!

Jello Biafra
8/12/2006, 08:58 AM
big freaking deal. it's loud. we get it. we make the plays, they don't make noise. it's simple.

imo........

I_Live_In_OK
8/12/2006, 10:17 AM
my fault @ 40,000. i remember an espn feature about autzen (sounds polish) stadium a few years ago and they said you only sat around 35,000 then, so i thought i'd give ya a 5,000 cushion.

fadada1
8/12/2006, 10:23 AM
Michigan and USC players have said it's the loudest place they've ever played at.
[spicoli]Those guys are FAGS!!![spicoli]

I_Live_In_OK
8/12/2006, 10:26 AM
haha.

GottaHavePride
8/12/2006, 10:27 AM
Michigan and USC players have said it's the loudest place they've ever played at.

Two programs not historically noted for playing non-conference away games against really big-time competition. When was the last time either of those schools played at Florida, or Bama, or LSU, or Texas, or A&M, or in Norman? The media jumps all over A&M's stadium about how loud it is for the same reason - its extremely tall and compact with a huge capacity. I was at the game they tried to set the record at kickoff (and failed). KSU in 2000 was WAY louder than the A&M fans. That's still the loudest game I have ever been to, and that's including the Nebraska game in 2000.

mrowl
8/12/2006, 10:39 AM
whats the big deal? OU has played in much larger stadiums, where the crowd "sustains" noise the whole game, and OU has come out as the winner.

Autzen is cool, but it won't compare to the home crowds of KSU in 2000, A&M in 2000, Bama in 2003.

birddog
8/12/2006, 10:47 AM
that k-state 2000 game sounded very loud on tv. still one of my favorite games 'cause i thought there was no way we were gonna win.

btw, i'd like to see a show of hands for the sooner fans going to autzen. it's quickly become this deified stadium and i'm not sure why.

mrowl
8/12/2006, 10:52 AM
that k-state 2000 game sounded very loud on tv. still one of my favorite games 'cause i thought there was no way we were gonna win.

btw, i'd like to see a show of hands for the sooner fans going to autzen. it's quickly become this deified stadium and i'm not sure why.

I am going...

I have a feeling its going to be more of a "pretty" stadium. :chicken:

OUstud
8/12/2006, 11:12 AM
KSU in 2000 was incredibly loud, particularily when they blocked the punt.

Autzen sounds kind of like a concentration camp. (the name, not the noise)

Jason White's Third Knee
8/12/2006, 11:13 AM
Well, if they can do better than those idiots at aTm, I'll be surprised.http://users.california.com/%7Ecsuppes/NCAA/Pac10/Oregon/aerial.jpg
http://www.aggiesports.com/football/photos/051305kyle.jpg

How could they be louder than the robots at aTm? Is it the quakers or just hype?

fadada1
8/12/2006, 11:43 AM
we went to the OU/nd game back in '99. my friend who got us some extra tickets said it was the loudest ANY visiting teams' fans had EVAR been. she said the nd folks were very suprised at the amount of noise we made. i say we do the same at that stadium with NO tradition.

Partial Qualifier
8/14/2006, 10:03 AM
LOL! I got negged by someone for dropping the Helander up in here.

Whatever, n00b!! Whoever you are!

:)

birddog
8/14/2006, 10:18 AM
there's never a bad time to break out the helander.

Zing
8/14/2006, 11:52 AM
Though I still maintain that I have never heard a stadium as loud as Owen Field was for 2000 Nebraska.

"We're number 1! We're number 1"

Ahh... what a memory. :D

sooneron
8/14/2006, 12:01 PM
there's never a bad time to break out the helander.
Sho nuff!:texan:

tbl
8/14/2006, 12:18 PM

That's so abusive...

jwlynn64
8/14/2006, 01:41 PM

Share the knowledge. I've been a casual poster for three years and I don't get the reference. I've seen several post referencing the name.

I did get the sarcasm of your post however. ;)

soonervegas
8/14/2006, 01:49 PM
we went to the OU/nd game back in '99. my friend who got us some extra tickets said it was the loudest ANY visiting teams' fans had EVAR been. she said the nd folks were very suprised at the amount of noise we made. i say we do the same at that stadium with NO tradition.

I was there as well and even Dick Enberg? who was doing the game on TV made a statement about it. I think that was just 6 or 7 years of frustration coming out with every Brandon Daniels run back. :)

It was short lived though....Nebraska brought about 35,000 fans a few years later.

Partial Qualifier
8/14/2006, 01:52 PM
Share the knowledge. I've been a casual poster for three years and I don't get the reference. I've seen several post referencing the name.

I did get the sarcasm of your post however. ;)

Basically, that guy (I think it was BleedinCrimsonRed) got real obnoxious and thus got hammered by board regulars one night... that was his retort :)

it's been pasted at appropriate times for the last year or so. People were talking about boomersooner ring tones, AD/AP confusion, so I thought it necessary to drop some Helander up in here for old times' sake.

jwlynn64
8/14/2006, 01:57 PM
Basically, that guy (I think it was BleedinCrimsonRed) got real obnoxious and thus got hammered by board regulars one night... that was his retort :)

it's been pasted at appropriate times for the last year or so. People were talking about boomersooner ring tones, AD/AP confusion, so I thought it necessary to drop some Helander up in here for old times' sake.

Agreed, the sarcasm was getting too thick. Sounds like the perfect time for the Helander manuver. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
8/14/2006, 03:00 PM
You know...

All this Autzen is loud thing, well, I guess they'll use the leg lift count thingy and that will be the end of that.

Plus with an option offense, you don't need signal calls so much...

DeadSolidPerfect
8/14/2006, 03:27 PM
Very True - I was there. The Bama possession before that was one of the louder stadiums I have been in. Cotton Bowl on the (normally) 2nd Saturday in October is louder than Florida/FSU in the Swamp. I have been there too.
When Bama scored to make it, I believe 10-7, that stadium was the loudest I'd ever been in. Hurt my ears.