PDA

View Full Version : Little Joe College Football Hall of Fame Article

Tear Down This Wall
8/11/2006, 10:59 AM
From his hometown paper...

Little Joe enters another HOF

By Bob West
The Port Arthur News

Some 35 years after briefly contemplating Notre Dame as a place to play college football, Little Joe Washington has finally made his way to South Bend, Ind. And the occasion makes it as sweet as helping Oklahoma win back-to-back national championships in 1973 and 1974.

The former Lincoln High School All-America arrived at the home of the Fighting Irish on Thursday to take part in festivities honoring the College Football Hall of Fame Class of 2005. Fifteen former players and five coaches are being bestowed with college football’s highest honor.

“I’m excited, but it feels kind of weird,” said Washington, who lives in Baltimore. “When you are so far removed from your playing days, it seems a little strange to be getting an award. But the College Football Hall of Fame is something I’ve thought about and wanted to be a part of.”

Among those going in with Washington are two other running backs who played in the same era as he did — Texas’ Roosevelt Leaks and USC’s Anthony Davis. Davis and Little Joe, in fact, finished 2-3 behind Archie Griffin for the 1974 Heisman Trophy.

Others in the class include Alabama linebacker Cornelius Bennett, Notre Dame QB John Huarte and Mississippi Valley State wide receiver Jerry Rice. Heading up the coaches being inducted are Auburn’s Pat Dye and West Virginia’s Don Nehlen.

The entire group has already been saluted once, at a gala dinner at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City last winter. They have reassembled in South Bend because that city has become the new home of the College Football Hall of Fame. Formal enshrinement ceremonies are Saturday night.

For Washington, it’s his fourth Hall of Fame and fifth if you count the Oklahoma Journalism HOF. He’s also been inducted into the Texas High School Sports Hall of Fame (1991), the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame (1993) and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame (2002).

Asked which of the four is the most meaningful, he hesitated, then said, “That’s a little like asking somebody which of their kids is the most special. I have been excited about each one of them, and feel deeply honored to be a part of all of them.

“If I had to pick one, though, it would be the Texas High School Hall of Fame, mainly because it was the first one. As a kid in Texas, I grew up in awe of some of those great high school players I watched and read about. To join them was great. But that doesn’t diminish how I feel about the others.”

Considering the numbers he piled up as a two-time All-America at Oklahoma — he’s No. 2 on the school’s all-time rushing list with 4,071 yards — it’s no surprise Washington was selected for the College Football HOF. What is surprising is how long it took for him to get the call.

“I really don’t know why it took so long,” he said. “I’ve thought about it. When you think about all the great players who have played college football over the years, that’s a lot of guys to consider. Part of it with me may have been the fact we couldn’t be on TV for two years. I didn’t get that much national exposure.

“But look at Anthony Davis. He played at USC the same time I was at Oklahoma, and he was on TV all the time. I figured I was going to get in sooner or later. When Barry (Switzer) got in 2001, I figured I wasn’t going to be far behind.”

Washington, who cracked Oklahoma’s starting lineup midway through his freshman year, averaged a remarkable 6.4 yards per carry for his career. His biggest season came as a junior when he rushed for 1,321 yards and 14 touchdowns, and added 531 kick return yards.

Following that season, he was named the Washington D.C. Touchdown Club’s College Player of the Year, the NCAA Player of the Year and finished third in the Heisman vote. If Oklahoma had not been banned from TV that year, he would have had a great shot at winning the Heisman.

Washington’s elusive running style led to many highlight reel runs. His most memorable game-breaking play came late in his junior season against Missouri. Trailing by seven points, the No. 1 ranked Sooners were facing 4th-and-1 at their own 24 with less than a minute to play.

Switzer dialed Little Joe’s number and he dipped and darted 76 yards to the end zone. He then followed up by hurdling into the end zone for a two-point conversion that turned defeat into victory.

Many years later, Switzer, who was headed to Port Arthur for a roast honoring Washington, lumped Little Joe with Nebraska’s Johnny Rodgers and Oklahoma State’s Barry Sanders as the most dangerous backs he saw in 16 years he coached in what was then the Big Eight Conference.

“Those three guys put your heart in your throat,” said Switzer. “In the open field, nobody was better than Joe. Every time he went back to field a punt at Owen Field, 74,000 fans would be on their feet. They knew it was showtime.”

Flagstaffsooner
8/11/2006, 11:20 AM
And the occasion makes it as sweet as helping Oklahoma win back-to-back national championships in 1973 and 1974.
Got the years wrong.:O

DrZaius
8/11/2006, 11:25 AM
Can someone enlighten me as to why we were not allowed on TV back then.

It was to early for em to remember, I was 2.

Flagstaffsooner
8/11/2006, 12:15 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to why we were not allowed on TV back then.

It was to early for em to remember, I was 2.Probation over the Kerry Jackson thing.

AllVol
8/11/2006, 12:30 PM
Man, that says something about how good you were... You won the NC without being allowed on TV??? I didnt know that, and wow, I cant imagine...

Blues1
8/11/2006, 12:33 PM
We won 3 more without being on TV - 1950 - 1955 -and 1956 -- Well in 55 and 56 maybe once each Season...(Thats National TV I'm talkin about)

Still R'

AllVol
8/11/2006, 12:43 PM
We won 3 more without being on TV - 1950 - 1955 -and 1956 -- Well in 55 and 56 maybe once each Season...(Thats National TV I'm talkin about)

Still R'

I thought he was saying they went two whole seasons being banned from TV, and won the NC... I was saying that was IMPRESSIVE considering you'd have to get votes from guys who havent even seen you play...

Blues1
8/11/2006, 12:46 PM
I thought he was saying they went two whole seasons being banned from TV, and won the NC... I was saying that was IMPRESSIVE considering you'd have to get votes from guys who havent even seen you play...

I know what you were saying....I was just bragging a little bit...Yea - we know how to win NC's without TV.......:D

R'

devOUt
8/11/2006, 12:47 PM
... I was saying that was IMPRESSIVE considering you'd have to get votes from guys who havent even seen you play...

A 47 game win streak will do that for you. The record still stands!

AllVol
8/11/2006, 12:48 PM
Pretty amazing. sorry, not trying to derail the thread, that fact was just an interesting one.

Congrats on the inductee... Cornelius Bennett was a BEAST in college... I think he may be the best COLLEGE player of the class, I say that having never seen Thompson...

CU Sooner
8/11/2006, 01:47 PM
Got the years wrong.:O

Not if we use the Alabama math.:;)

DrZaius
8/11/2006, 01:47 PM
Did you guys no that he was in Forrest Gump and some other movies.....

Diary of a Mad Black Woman (2005) .... Reporter

Scream 2 (1997) .... Reporter #1
"Ground Breakers" (1997) TV Series .... Host
"Profiler"
- Insight (1996) TV Episode .... TV Reporter
Gordy (1995) .... TV Anchorman
Forrest Gump (1994) .... Local Anchor #2
"In the Heat of the Night"
- Child's Play (1993) TV Episode .... Chester Quinn
The Real McCoy (1993) .... Newscaster
Silent Victim (1993) (TV) .... Joe Washington
... aka Hothouse (USA)
The Secret Passion of Robert Clayton (1992) (TV) .... TV Newsman 1
Livin' Large! (1991) .... Charles Hempstead
... aka The Tapes of Dexter Jackson

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
8/11/2006, 02:13 PM
Little Joe was in Forrest Gump???

GDC
8/12/2006, 03:04 PM
Joe Washington enters the hall
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/12/2006

Ex-OU Sooner star patterned his running style after LSU back.
Who did Joe Washington look up to? Who did Little Joe emulate?

Would you believe LSU's Billy Cannon, a straight-ahead, downhill, hard-charging, punishing runner for LSU in the mid-1960s?

"I thought I'd be the same size as Billy Cannon," Washington said, "but the realization with me at a young age was that I wasn't going be that big. Understanding that probably influenced my running style, which was probably already there anyway."

Washington's diminutive frame (5-foot-8, 170 pounds) helped him develop a slippery, waterbug style that made him an Oklahoma Sooners wishbone legend and earned him a place in the College Football Hall of Fame.

"Wasn't very big," said former coach Barry Switzer, "just played big."

Washington, 52, joins 11 other Division I players and two coaches in the 2006 enshrinement class Saturday at South Bend, Ind. He was a three-time All-Big Eight and two-time All-American halfback and helped Switzer's record-setting offenses to national titles in 1974 and '75.

One of Washington's 2006 classmates is former Texas fullback Roosevelt Leaks. Washington got to know Leaks in the NFL when they played for the Baltimore

Colts, and he had some humble words of appreciation for the former Longhorn.

"He had an unbelievable knee injury in college which basically helped me," Washington said. "When Rosey had the knee injury, Barry kept some of the players out of spring ball so we wouldn't get injured. That prolonged my career."

Washington's on-field skills were surpassed only by his off-field persona. He always had an encouraging word or a helpful hand for those who needed one.

"Can't find a classier guy than Joe Washington," said teammate and two-time All-American receiver Tinker Owens. "I never saw Joe out at a bar or anything else when we were in college. Everybody else was going out to have a beer, and Joe's in his room listening to music, rocking."

Washington, a financial advisor in Baltimore, rocked his way to OU's all-purpose yardage record (5,881). When he left, he had the career rushing record (4,071 yards, later surpassed by Billy Sims' 4,118).

"Joe had such tremendous athletic ability," said former Sooner tailback Steve Owens, who won the '69 Heisman and held OU's rushing marks before Washington arrived. "It wasn't just his speed. He could run as fast sideways, jump back and do things that most guys can't do."

Washington's running style influenced a young kid in Youngstown, Ohio, to paint his football cleats silver, like Washington's. Today, OU head coach Bob Stoops remembers Washington as "probably the most exciting runner that's ever played college football."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIVISION I-A COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME 2006 INDUCTEES
Players

LB: Cornelius Bennett, Alabama (1983-86)

DB: Tom Curtis, Michigan (1967-69)

RB: Anthony Davis, USC (1972-74)

OT: Keith Dorney, Penn State (1975-78)

E: Jim Houston, Ohio State (1957-59)

QB: John Huarte, Notre Dame (1962-64)

FB: Roosevelt Leaks, Texas (1972-74)

OT: Mark May, Pittsburgh (1977-80)

HB: Joe Washington, Oklahoma (1972-75)

DT: Paul Wiggin, Stanford (1954-56)

WR: David Williams, Illinois (1983-85)

Coaches

Pat Dye, East Carolina, Wyoming, Auburn

Don Nehlan, Bowling Green, West Virginia

Oklahomans in the College Football Hall of Fame

Position / Player, School, Year, Year inducted

C: Kurt Burris, Oklahoma 1951-54 (2000)

QB: Brad Calip, East Central 1982-85 (2003)

NG: Tony Casillas, Oklahoma 1982-85 (2004)

HB: Glenn Dobbs, Tulsa 1940-42 (1980)

HB: Bob Fenimore, Oklahoma State 1943-46 (1972)

FB: Forest Geyer, Oklahoma 1913-15 (1973)

TE: Keith Jackson, Oklahoma 1984-87 (2001)

HB: Tommy McDonald, Oklahoma 1954-56 (1985)

E: Jim Owens, Oklahoma 1946-49 (1982)

HB: Steve Owens, Oklahoma 1967-69 (1991)

HB: Greg Pruitt, Oklahoma 1970-72 (1999)

FB: Claude Reeds, Oklahoma 1910-13 (1961)

QB: Jerry Rhome, Tulsa 1963-64 (1998)

G: J.D. Roberts, Oklahoma 1951-53 (1993)

TB: Barry Sanders, Oklahoma State 1986-88 (2003)

DT: Lee Roy Selmon, Oklahoma 1972-75 (1988)

HB: Billy Sims, Oklahoma 1975-79 (1995)

C: Jerry Tubbs, Oklahoma 1954-56 (1996)

WR: Howard Twilley, Tulsa 1963-65 (1992)

HB: Billy Vessels, Oklahoma 1950-52 (1974)

HB: Joe Washington, Oklahoma* 1972-75 (2005)

T: Jim Weatherall, Oklahoma 1948-51 (1992)

E: Waddy Young, Oklahoma 1936-38 (1986)

Coach: Biff Jones, Oklahoma, 1935-36 (1954)

Coach: Benny Owen, Oklahoma 1905-26 (1951)

Coach: Francis Schmidt, Tulsa 1919-21 (1971)

Coach: Barry Switzer, Oklahoma 1973-88 (2001)

Coach: Jim Tatum, Oklahoma 1946 (1984)

Coach: Bud Wilkinson, Oklahoma 1947-63 (1969)

Note: Washington will be enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind., on Saturday..

stoopified
8/12/2006, 03:39 PM
Way to go Joe.Long overdue.

Snrfn4ever08
8/12/2006, 03:40 PM
i wish i was old enough to see him play:(

tulsaoilerfan
8/12/2006, 05:17 PM
Another wrong thing in the article is the Mizzou game; Joe actually went 71 yards, not 76; it's about damn time he got into the Hall.

John