PDA

View Full Version : Higher Education and Admissions Rant...

TexasLidig8r
8/10/2006, 05:03 PM
With 11 Egyptians reported missing after coming to the United States to attend Montana St. (although 6 apparently are now in federal custody), brought to light the question of.. why in the hell are our publicly funded univerisities opening their admission doors to foreign students at the expense of United States citizens?

Granted, foreign admissions have declined in a miniscule amount in the past two years. Nonetheless, in the past 6 years, U.S. schools have hosted approximately 500,000 foreign students... at the expense of how many United States citizens who did not get in to these universities?

The argument is made that foreign students bring sources of revenue into the U.S. from international sources.. ah. but at what cost?

We educate the foreign students (and engineering, math and computer science) with no expectation that they will utilize this knowledge for the benefit of the US.. they take their education and more often than not, apply it to practical use in their home countries.

Arguments are made that foreign students are necessary to compete in a global economy. Certainly, the days of economic isolationism are over, but to allow US educational resources to be utilized to educate foreign nationals over US citizens seems rather short-sighted. Nor does it make a compelling intellectual argument that allowing foreign students to utilize the education and resources learned in the US makes the US a stronger player in the global market.

What am I missing here? I believe that any United States citizen who wishes to have a higher education and has the drive to obtain it, should be allowed the opportunity.

humph.. rant over....

What am I

jeremy885
8/10/2006, 05:39 PM
Well, since the first chick I had sex with was a hot foreign student, I'll have to disagree with you (at least on not letting the female ones come over here).

OCUDad
8/10/2006, 05:50 PM
I understand the frustration, but it's a slippery slope. I assume you would extend your argument the other way... that universities in other countries (famously - Oxford, Cambridge, Sorbonne) should not accept American students? Or do you speak only of public universities? Does the 500,000 number include only public universities?

I'm a big fan of giving preference to Americans in American universities. But I'm not a big fan of educational isolationism, either. Tough choices.

critical_phil
8/10/2006, 06:04 PM
I'm a big fan of giving preference to Americans in American universities. But I'm not a big fan of educational isolationism, either. Tough choices.

says the guy who's username is from Pohang University - 23rd Street Campus

mrowl
8/10/2006, 06:34 PM
I thought that an international student did not count against how many "domestic" students that a school accepts?

jeremy885
8/10/2006, 07:01 PM

Heh, Oklahoma Chinese University. I forgot about that one.

royalfan5
8/10/2006, 08:45 PM
As a grad student, I enjoy having class with talented foriegn students rather than a lower quality American. It improves the classes for all of us by keeping the riff-raff out, as well as allowing more interaction between cultures which will be essential for the future. If an American is too dumb to beat out the foriegn students, *&^% him or her. Get smarter or find something else to do.

TUSooner
8/10/2006, 09:44 PM
Don't you be dissin OCU!
I met my foreign wife there... uhm... OK, well, go ahead then. :O

I jest darling! hehehe

Like she ever reads this.

mdklatt
8/10/2006, 11:43 PM
Like she ever reads this.

No more rove you rong time.

Frozen Sooner
8/10/2006, 11:45 PM
Are you seriously complaining that some hard-working American student wasn't able to get into MONTANA FREAKING STATE?!?!?

Montana State takes people who couldn't get in to UAA, man.

Ike
8/11/2006, 12:35 AM
go into any engineering, math or science department at any major university and ask what percentage of the faculty in that department are natives of another land. In most cases, it will be a large number. Its pretty absurd to think that these foreign students do not contribute to American society upon graduation. The ones that do take their education back to their home countries are most certainly in the minority. especially in the sciences.

mdklatt
8/11/2006, 12:38 AM
If we're serious about getting ridding our colleges and universities of leeches on American society we should start closing down law schools.

:texan:

critical_phil
8/11/2006, 12:38 AM
true ike. i may have done better in Instrumental Analysis if i spoke Farsi.

Ike
8/11/2006, 12:39 AM
If we're serious about getting ridding our colleges and universities of leeches on American society we should start closing down law schools.

we have a winner.

OCUDad
8/11/2006, 12:51 AM
says the guy who's username is from Pohang University - 23rd Street Campus:mad: Of course, even we Chinese know that it's "whose name," not "who's name," Mr. Higher Edumacation. :rolleyes:

47straight
8/11/2006, 01:26 AM
As a grad student, I enjoy having class with talented foriegn students rather than a lower quality American. It improves the classes for all of us by keeping the riff-raff out, as well as allowing more interaction between cultures which will be essential for the future. If an American is too dumb to beat out the foriegn students, *&^% him or her. Get smarter or find something else to do.

Yes, with your attitude, we won't have any engineers left, and we will indeed have to know how to interact with those cultures, as in we will need how to politely ask "do you want fries with that" in a respectful manner to billions of Chinese and Indians.

What exactly is the point of a public university paid for by the good hardworking citizens of Nebraska? Is it to fund the technological overthrow of the US, dooming us to economic subservience? I seriously doubt that is what they're paying for.

TexasLidig8r
8/11/2006, 09:09 AM

BASTADGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For your information, the entity in the Animal Kingdom with which we prefer to be associated is.. snakes.... on an airplane. :D

As for the foreign students who remain in the United States after obtaining a degree, isn't a student visa only applicable while they remain enrolled as full time students? When the degree is obtained, aren't they either required to obtain a work visa or go back to their own country?

jeremy885
8/11/2006, 10:03 AM
They get a year of practical training, which is a one year work visa.

mdklatt
8/11/2006, 10:07 AM
For your information, the entity in the Animal Kingdom with which we prefer to be associated is.. snakes.... on an airplane. :D

What about sharks? There's that one law office (I think that's what it is) along the west side of Central Expressway with the shark on the roof. :D

Tear Down This Wall
8/11/2006, 10:08 AM
I agree with Lid up to this point...because of 9/11, we should not let any exchange students in from coutries known to harbor terrorists or to produce terrorists. Take as many Koreans and Europeans and Mexicans, etc. as you like, but avoid Arabs.

Yes, I'm saying discriminate against kids from other countries that have produced violence against us in the name of their false god, Allah.

skycat
8/11/2006, 10:39 AM
Cripes what a stupid argument. If you kicked out all of the foreign born workers at my company who got a US degree, we might as well close our doors.

Any implication that people from other lands that come here for an education don't help our economy is assinine.

I know others have said it, but I just couldn't let it go.

OCUDad
8/11/2006, 01:06 PM
I agree with Lid up to this point...because of 9/11, we should not let any exchange students in from coutries known to harbor terrorists or to produce terrorists. Take as many South Koreans and Europeans and Mexicans, etc. as you like, but avoid Arabs.

Yes, I'm saying discriminate against kids from other countries that have produced violence against us in the name of their false god, Allah.Fixed.

royalfan5
8/11/2006, 10:45 PM
Yes, with your attitude, we won't have any engineers left, and we will indeed have to know how to interact with those cultures, as in we will need how to politely ask "do you want fries with that" in a respectful manner to billions of Chinese and Indians.

What exactly is the point of a public university paid for by the good hardworking citizens of Nebraska? Is it to fund the technological overthrow of the US, dooming us to economic subservience? I seriously doubt that is what they're paying for.
maybe we ought to improve the quality of math and science education in our High schools then we wouldn't have a problem finding domestic engineers. Why should people expect to be entitled to something because of their background rather than there talent. The more competition the better for America and Nebraska. I don't think a university should be there to give out degrees like lollipops to underserving candidates simply because they are American. If American students can't handle the challenge of the foriegn students, they deserve to be asking if they want fries with that.

Stoop Dawg
8/11/2006, 11:58 PM
I believe that any United States citizen who wishes to have a higher education and has the drive to obtain it, should be allowed the opportunity.

I believe this is already the case. What exactly are you ranting about?

Frozen Sooner
8/12/2006, 12:01 AM
They took err skuuls!

Me, I'm all for exposing foreign students to what life in the United States is like. Maybe they stay and contribute their brain power as a contributing member of our society. Maybe they go back to their country and tell people how great it is to live in a free country.

It's not like Montana State is turning away a bunch of highly-qualified US Citizens.