PDA

View Full Version : Sooners also in on two other "committed" QB's....

The Consumate Showman
8/10/2006, 12:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, the Newton kid from SEC country is nice, but there are bigger fish in the sea. I think even if we get one of the "big fish", KW will still go after a JUCO QB as well. We've got 2 more schollys all of a sudden!

Still getting info slowly, but there is going to be "good news" in a report on rivals on Friday about OU being in on two committed QB's list and they are apparently seriously thinking of decommitting. Can't mention names yet, sorry, but as soon as the article releases, I will share.

Soonerwolf
8/10/2006, 12:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, the Newton kid from SEC country is nice, but there are bigger fish in the sea. I think even if we get one of the "big fish", KW will still go after a JUCO QB as well. We've got 2 more schollys all of a sudden!

Still getting info slowly, but there is going to be "good news" in a report on rivals on Friday about OU being in on two committed QB's list and they are apparently seriously thinking of decommitting. Can't mention names yet, sorry, but as soon as the article releases, I will share.

Then why bother saying anything in the first place ?

:eek: :cool: :rolleyes: :( ;) :confused: :pop: :hot: :O :P :D :( :cool:

The Consumate Showman
8/10/2006, 01:26 PM
Go away troll-boy....

BTW, it's called a head's up...

southern sooner
8/10/2006, 01:50 PM
very nice - thanks for the heads-up showman.... any good news will help, anything to hold me over for the next 3 weeks.

Boomer!!!!

BASSooner
8/10/2006, 05:00 PM
the guys over at horfans are freaking out. some have said that they are afraid of losing brantley but a LOT have said that chiles might decommitt and come here. Mallet is a possible candidate as well

Frozen Sooner
8/10/2006, 09:41 PM
Is the name something like Rock House? ;)

The Consumate Showman
8/10/2006, 10:51 PM
BASS,

By all accounts that I have heard and the people I have talked to, Mallet should be a SOLID lock to Michigan. If you look at their program, they have a pretty good history of sending QB's to the next level and I think he is pretty psyched about going up there and being the man in a year or two.

As for Brantley...well, personally, I am hoping for some good news on that front. As for Chiles, I don't know much about him and haven't been able to speak to anyone close to him or his situation, but I feel he will probably stay at UT and maybe make a move to WR before he is done.

I think if KW wants a guy that can consistently hit the deep routes and come back and hit the RB's out of the backfield, then he should go for a Brantley, Garcia, Mansion type, but if he wants a runner-gunner type, Chiles might be a guy he's interested in going after and the Newton kid as well.

Time will tell. Just a few hours now...

Desert Sapper
8/11/2006, 03:01 AM
I've heard Garcia has shown some interestin us, and I've also heard he's a little bit of a multi-threat himself.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=33454&Sport=1

I want Brantley and Chiles to come over to us, mostly because I want the whorns to freak out.

Soonerman08
8/11/2006, 10:38 AM
I've heard Garcia has shown some interestin us, and I've also heard he's a little bit of a multi-threat himself.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=33454&Sport=1

I want Brantley and Chiles to come over to us, mostly because I want the whorns to freak out.

Any news of who the "committed" who are interested in OU?

The Consumate Showman
8/11/2006, 01:15 PM
Well guys, it wasn't quite what I expected, but it's still good info. Right now it looks like Brantley hasn't had much contact with OU, at least not enough to warrant a big rumor mill starting.

There is some INTERESTING news about Stephen Garcia, however. In an article in the newpaper where he lives, there seems to be something peculiar in his room: an OU hat sitting in plain sight. Is it reading too much into it? maybe maybe not, but he does say that if OU gets serious, so will he...

Another interesting prospect that has not got much pub that seems to be high on OU's radar is Kodi Burns out of Ark. He has some nice things to say about OU and there is a chance, a small one mind you, but a chance that wherever he goes...Lee Ziemba will follow...#4 ranked OL in the nation.....

Lastly, Richetti Jones looks to make a commitment by 8/20. Is it going to be a "rock" solid commit?? All signs point to.....NO! Which could bode well for OU. People close to the situation say that as of right now, RJ is making decsions with his heart and NOT his head. He has friends at LosuR and he acts like he can't shake that right now; HOLD ON THOUGH, RJ did say that if and when he does commit to LosuR, he will want to see that they are going to be a good team and can compete and play in bowl games. If they can't muster up the kind of season to do that, it seems HIGHLY probable that he will change his commitment to either OU, UT, or FL... This makes me happy because I think we all know that LosuR Gumby and Co. are going to once again fall flat on their faces....

All info via rivals.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/11/2006, 01:20 PM
If RJ goes to the faggies it will be the dumbest mistake of his career. I have not looked at anything on Garcia, but if he passes good then lets get after him.

O yeah by the way spek to you for the info

The Consumate Showman
8/11/2006, 01:44 PM
If RJ goes to the faggies it will be the dumbest mistake of his career. I have not looked at anything on Garcia, but if he passes good then lets get after him.

O yeah by the way spek to you for the info

BRADLEY,

you are spot on. i really do think that before signing day gets here, RJ will realize that the only way he is going to assure a guy of his talents gets to the NFL via the draft is to commit to OU. I mean, look at our team this year...we have feasibly 4 first day picks and I believe 2 first rounders in Ah You and Bird AND we will have big John Williams in there tearing sh!t up, too. If RJ comes to OU, he will have to wait about a game before he gets meaningful PT in my opinion because of our lack of depth at DE in '08 IMO... I mean, look at LosuR...they have put Kevin Williams into the NFL, okay, he was good, but tell me someone else, please!!, that's gone on to the NFL from their DL?????? i think he will eventually see the light.....

The Consumate Showman
8/11/2006, 01:53 PM
Any news of who the "committed" who are interested in OU?

Let me see if I can clear this up for you. Here's is what is being said at the moment: Garcia, Newton, and Burns are being talked up due to their lack of commitment status. As for the guys already commited, it would be a bad move on any reporter's front to go and ask these already commited kids questions about decommiting and coming to OU because the likliehood of OU actually getting to the kids and actually having a chance at landing them. Basically, they (the people running places like rivals and scout) don't want to stir up controversy on thier own right now. They will wait and let the coaching staff try to ruffle these kid's feathers first and let the kids come out and make the decision to open back up recruitng or to stay solid. Then you can expect to know more about who's considering coming to OU and who's not.

There is some intersting things floating around on the UT boards however. They seem to be frantic and freaked out at the possibility that Chiles and Brantley might both bolt for OU in the opportunity to play QB early. Personally, I think Chiles stays and Bratnley is the "dark horse".....

Herr Scholz
8/11/2006, 02:06 PM
You never know, but everything I've read is that Brantley couldn't be happier about coming to Texas, that he was walking on air after his commitment. The allure of instant playing time at a big time school is always a factor though.

The Consumate Showman
8/11/2006, 03:10 PM
You never know, but everything I've read is that Brantley couldn't be happier about coming to Texas, that he was walking on air after his commitment. The allure of instant playing time at a big time school is always a factor though.

Herr,

UT fans should be a little on edge with the Bomar incident happening. Bratnley and his parents know Stoops personally, that's something Mack couldn't even boast before hopping on the recruiting trail. The relationship with a player is crucial as most coaches will tell you, and the fact that Stoops has known them for some time and is apparently close to them...if I was a UT fan, I might be extremely concerned especially due to the fact that my FB team has TWO guys vying for the starting job this year and has Chiles coming in as well. If the idea gets planted into his head enough, Brantley might just make the decision to come to the place where all we have coming back in a JUCO QB, that, according to one DO columnist, "can't play" along with his HS counterpart that we brought in this year. I would have to say that the window of opportunity will be WAYYYY more open early at OU than it will be at UT, which should play a big role in whether or not he stays commited or decommits....I honestly boils down to how well our WR's play this year and who wins the RRS will have an upperhand.

Herr Scholz
8/11/2006, 03:34 PM
Herr,

UT fans should be a little on edge with the Bomar incident happening. Bratnley and his parents know Stoops personally, that's something Mack couldn't even boast before hopping on the recruiting trail.
True but the "personal relationship" angle is minimized by the fact that he didn't pick Florida despite his father and high school coach having played there.

As far as Mack being an outsider so to speak, one of the main reasons that Brantley cited for picking Texas was how welcoming the Longhorn team and staff were, that it was a "family atmosphere".

I'm definitely nervous about losing him though because he would be our QB of the future (2010 as a RS Jr.). I don't like having green QBs like we do this year.

I would have to say that the window of opportunity will be WAYYYY more open early at OU than it will be at UT...
I agree with this. With him, we'd have 5 schollie QBs next Fall (although 2 will probably move to WR/DB).

...which should play a big role in whether or not he stays commited or decommits....I honestly boils down to how well our WR's play this year and who wins the RRS will have an upperhand.
Sorry, but this sounds like hopeful thinking on your part to me. Nothing he or his family have said have shown that he's wavering in the least or that he's waiting on this season's results to make a decision. He and his Dad have both said they want him to redshirt at UT in '07.

Like I said though, you never know what will influence a kid.

fwsooner22
8/11/2006, 04:29 PM
There are going to be 5 scholarship QB's at Texas and 7 at Tech.......Its nice (if you are a horn) to think "well we will just make them DB's or wide receivers". I wonder if that was what they were told when they signed.

My bet is that 2 or 3 of these end up at other schools. Not to say that it will be OU. None of us know. Why would a kid go to a school that has 2 freshmen qb's. Heck one of our former QB's is at Idaho State or something like that isn't he.

We couldn't get a QB interested because of Bomars scholastic status (sophmore).

There is no doubt that UT is getting its pick of the litter right now. That however is temporary. They don't need 5 QB's neither do we. We need one and we will get one.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/11/2006, 06:01 PM
Tommy Grady went to Utah not Idaho state.

His may have been an academic issue though.

melbitoast
8/12/2006, 10:51 AM
Hey Snowman, any new developments since yesterday? I'm very intrigued by our current QB recruiting situation, and think we could really stir up the pot by stealing a QB or two.

The Consumate Showman
8/12/2006, 11:28 AM
Hey Showman, any new developments since yesterday? I'm very intrigued by our current QB recruiting situation, and think we could really stir up the pot by stealing a QB or two.

Fixed.

Nothing yet. I think the period for coaches calling players is still closed. I think when the coaches have more of an opportunity to contact certain kids and get a general feel for who they may and may not have chances with, we will learn more. At this point, everything is pretty much speculation as far as the "commited" QB's go.

melbitoast
8/12/2006, 11:24 PM
Fixed.

Nothing yet. I think the period for coaches calling players is still closed. I think when the coaches have more of an opportunity to contact certain kids and get a general feel for who they may and may not have chances with, we will learn more. At this point, everything is pretty much speculation as far as the "commited" QB's go.

Cool. Well I'll be eagerly anticipating any news you can provide us over the coming weeks. :pop:

melbitoast
8/13/2006, 10:38 PM
Does anyone have a subscription to AMP?? You can't read any further on this article unless you have a subscription. Has something new developed today??

"Just In:
OU QB recruiting picks up
The departure of Rhett Bomar from Oklahoma's football program not only clouded the Sooner's QB situation for this year, but the future. SoonerScoop.com's Josh McCuistion has the latest on some prospects OU's coaches hope to possibly sign. [Watch video]"

The Consumate Showman
8/14/2006, 12:23 AM
Does anyone have a subscription to AMP?? You can't read any further on this article unless you have a subscription. Has something new developed today??

"Just In:
OU QB recruiting picks up
The departure of Rhett Bomar from Oklahoma's football program not only clouded the Sooner's QB situation for this year, but the future. SoonerScoop.com's Josh McCuistion has the latest on some prospects OU's coaches hope to possibly sign. [Watch video]"

Yeah, I've got it. Not much on there other than what I already posted. Kind of a teaser really...

The Consumate Showman
8/14/2006, 12:30 AM
Let me give you a run down of the amp vid (just re-watched it)

-Talked about guys like Chaisson and Hartman

-Talked about OU contacting some of the commited guys to see where things stand(any hope seems doubtful)

-Talked MAINLY about the Newton kid and how he really fits the style of O KW is trying to direct the sooners in. Said a lot of QB's right now aren't a good fit because they need to be able to run and pass.

-Ended by talking about us looking at '08 guys Andrew Luck from Texas and then a couple of in state guys - Nathan Stanley and Kitteman (sp?)

Herr Scholz
8/14/2006, 10:34 AM
There are going to be 5 scholarship QB's at Texas and 7 at Tech.......Its nice (if you are a horn) to think "well we will just make them DB's or wide receivers". I wonder if that was what they were told when they signed.
John Chiles and Sherrod Harris were both told they would get a shot at QB. Unless Snead and McCoy are no good this year, however, it will be difficult for them to supplant them. Both Chiles and Harris were recruited as athletes elsewhere however. Both of those guys would be able to make the field at a different position. And as mentioned earlier as well, Brantley wants to redshirt and could be the starter his junior and senior years starting in 2010.

The Consumate Showman
8/14/2006, 01:41 PM
And as mentioned earlier as well, Brantley wants to redshirt and could be the starter his junior and senior years starting in 2010.

Okay- he might not have to redshirt at OU and if he came to OU and he was as good as advertised, he very well could get some serious pt and possibly start his soph year at OU....

I don;t know if I buy Brantley saying that he WANTS to red shirt. Most kids want to get on the field, so if he is saying that, I think that might be more of a Mack has told him that he will red shirt when he gets to UT...but who knows, this whole Bomargate crap has so much speculation going around about these new recruited high school kids that I'm starting to get a headache!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a new opinion now, I think :confused: , about our QB recruiting. I think OU is going to make a HARD push for Newton and I think we'll get him. I also think that we might also try our damndest to sign a JUCO QB as well; probably a guy that will have 3-for-3 or something like that.

THEN, I think '08 recruting is going to be pivotal and I think that Bob may just out-recruit Mack for Texas kids. I think we'll get Jusitn Johnson(RB), Shugarts(OL), Good(OL), Shugarts other OL counterpart, and then go after a kid by the name of Andrew Luck and then Brantley kid from Oklahoma. we should also get Jameel Owens(being touted as the #1 WR in '08) from Muskogee and his teammate DL, name escpaes me, and some other kids. I think we'll have the number 1 class in '08.

Desert Sapper
8/14/2006, 06:45 PM
I think we'll have the number 1 class in '08.

That might depend on how well we do this year. I'm hoping our recruiting effort of one guy goes well: AD. If Bob can convince him to return for his senior year so he gets a shot at Miami, I'm happy. If we can discover a QB of the future between now and then, all the better.