PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Breakdown for 2006

David Earl
8/10/2006, 09:13 AM
Backfield

QUARTERBACK

We know Paul Thompson is a good, strong, fast runner. We know passing is not his forte, though he is capable of better than what we saw against TCU last year. Here are the reasons for optimism. The team likes and respects him. It is hard to quantify the value of this leadership element. He is a mature, good young man. He works hard. Wilson’s style is suited to some of Thompson’s strengths. I don’t see Thompson lighting the skies up this fall, but if he can just complete 50-60% of his passes while not making too many foolish mistakes, we should be able to move the ball and score.

I keep hearing whispers that maybe we (coaches AND fans) didn’t give Paul enough of a chance at QB. I’ll be honest; I thought they should have moved him to WR his freshman year after giving him a stab at QB. It would have been good for the team and it would have given him a fair shot at pro ball. 20/20 Hindsight says if that had been done we’d be talking about Tommy Grady right now. But water under the bridge is just that, gone and out of reach. I’ll step up to the plate and say I’m happy for Paul to get another shot. He’s a team player and he’s earned our respect. I appreciate the sacrifices he’s made and he’s making. I believe he’ll be rusty at first, but I’ve got some hope he’ll be a solid QB a few weeks into the season.

Will we have a viable backup here? I hear Bradford has good potential, but it’s asking a lot of a true freshman to come in and backup. Surely he’ll redshirt. Halzle (pronounced Halzle :D ) showed streaks of promise in the spring, but struggled in the spring game. I’ve heard his attitude is good. Coach Heupel (I like the sound of that!) can take a guy a long way if that guy has good attitude. So I’m sure Halzle will come along. Some early blowouts to get him game reps would be nice. But don’t hold your breath. First, Paul needs the reps. Second, early blowouts are hard to come by.

12 Paul Thompson 6'4", 210 Senior RS
11 Joey Halzle 6'4", 215 Sophomore
14 Sam Bradford 6'4", 200 Freshman

RUNNING BACK

We all know what we’re expecting from Peterson. Word is Patrick will get plenty of PT. Some are insisting he is stronger than last year and is the real deal. Gute is supposedly recovered from his knee surgery and cutting like his old self. I hope Wilson plans to work him into the game plan. I think we’ll see all three of these catching the ball out of the backfield. Peterson and Patrick will obviously be the big-back type players, running out of the I-formation. As Wilson and company tweak the offensive scheme I suppose they’ll use Gute similar to how we used Q, with sprint draws and shovel passes. He brings something unique to the table that none of our other backs bring.

We hear all kinds of good about Murray, Madu and Brown. Will one of them spell Peterson/Patrick? I’m guessing all three of these guys are the stand-up type runners we need in the I-formation. Somebody’s got to redshirt and ride the pine. I have no idea who it will be.

28 Adrian Peterson 6'2", 220 Junior
23 Allen Patrick 6'1", 205 Junior RS
21 Jacob Gutierrez 5'6", 185 Junior RS
3 Demarco Murray 6'0", 190 Freshman
13 Mossis Madu 6'1", 190 Freshman
24 Chris Brown 5'10", 195 Freshman

FULLBACK

Have we heard of either of these guys separating himself as the better? My guess is we’ll see more two back sets and two TE’s than FB. Stoops and company want to get the best players on the field. It’s easy to imagine them putting Finley and Gresham on the field at the same time, which may cut into FB playing time. That’s not to say neither of these guys can be good, however. They have the unfortunate circumstance of following JD’s steps, BIG shoes to fill.

40 Dane Zaslaw 6'1", 240 Junior RS
34 Matt Clapp 6'2", 240 Sophomore

Receivers

I probably don’t have these placed just right, but maybe it’s close. I think we’ll see more of Kelly, Iglesias and Johnson, probably in that order, than the others. Those three guys are coming of age and promise to be really good. Besides them I’m guessing Cheney is the next most likely to play.

How well these guys do depends on Thompson. But how well Thompson does depends on these guys too. If Paul can get his timing and decisions down we have reason to think these guys will at least have a chance to shine. Whether or not they do is up to them.

SLOT

6 Manuel Johnson 5'11", 180 Sophomore
8 Brandon Caleb 6'1", 195 Freshman

WIDE RECEIVER

9 Juaquin Iglesias 6'1", 200 Sophomore
17 Eric Huggins 6'3", 200 Redshirt Freshman
81 Fred Strong 6'1", 200 Sophomore RS

WIDE RECEIVER
2 Malcolm Kelly 6'4", 215 Sophomore
84 Quentin Chaney 6'5", 210 Sophomore RS
80 Adron Tennell 6'5", 200 Freshman

Finley’s pretty good and was getting even better by year’s end last season. He’s got enough size he should be able to block okay. How well is his blocking coming along? From what we’re hearing, it sounds like Gresham will get a lot of playing time. I’m sure we’ll have some two-TE sets. He may sub for Finley some as well. Whispers of him grabbing flying eels out of the air (that’s a metaphor for catching high passes you people) give me hope that if Paul can just get the ball up over Gresham’s head, Gresham will haul it in.

TIGHT END
19 Joe Jon Finley 6'6", 250 Junior RS
2 Jermaine Gresham 6'6", 250 Freshman
83 Brody Eldridge 6'5", 255 Redshirt Freshman
87 Aaron Cummings 6'4", 240 Redshirt Freshman
88 Erik Mensik 6'5", 245 Freshman

O-Line

This group looks young, very young. And thin, very thin. But outside of that it looks like we might could be as good as year end last year and maybe finish a little better. I guess that’s an optimistic appraisal, but I’m hopeful. If Cooper and White stay healthy at center that will help tremendously. With that we’d have Messner and Duke on the left side, and Walker and Braxton on the right side. That means four of the five starters should have significant experience.

Duke can backup at tackle and I think Walker can as well. I’m not sure what Moore’s injury status is, but I heard he was doing well so he might provide a little depth at guard. What’s the latest on Simmons? If he is a workable backup then we might be able to redshirt all the freshmen.

I’m by nature an optimistic guy. That fact certainly colors my assessment of the o-line this season. I really think our line will be okay, maybe even pretty good. The guys should struggle a little at first, until they jell. That might take some time, but I think this group will be okay.

LEFT TACKLE
79 Chris Messner 6'6", 290 Senior RS
72 George Robinson 6'5", 330 Sophomore
70 Cory Brandon 6'6", 275 Freshman

LEFT GUARD
72 George Robinson 6'5", 330 Sophomore
77 Sherrone Moore 6'4", 300 Junior
65 Ben Barresi 6'5", 310 Redshirt Freshman

CENTER
50 Jon Cooper 6'2", 280 Sophomore
66 Jesse White 6'0", 290 Redshirt Freshman
75 Chase Beeler 6'4", 275 Freshman

RIGHT GUARD
73 Brandon Walker 6'3", 305 Junior
74 Brian Simmons 6-5, 285, 5.00 Redshirt Freshman

RIGHT TACKLE
76 Branndon Braxton 6'6", 320 Sophomore (Youngstown, Ohio)
64 Trent Williams 6'5", 310 Freshman (Longview, Texas)
60 Curtis Bailey 6'7", 315 Freshman

Offensive Summary

Of course opposing defenses will stack the box and dare Thompson to pass. Because we’ve seen Paul struggle in the passing game we can easily imagine our offense running a bunch and getting stuffed, then having third and medium passes hit receivers at their feet. But that is probably our imagination run wild.

Paul can throw a little. Wilson can scheme to our strengths. And defenses stacking the box may hurt our run, but it will also yield some long runs. What happens when AD gets through that first line of nine defenders? It won’t happen every drive, but it will happen some. Between that fact, Wilson’s scheming, and the fact Paul can throw some, our offense should at least be decent.

Speaking of Wilson’s scheming, I’m really eager to see the chess match between Wilson and Chizik in October. We all know Chizik is the real deal and UT’s defense should be very good. Hopefully our offense will be finding its stride by that time. I don’t expect OU to score a lot against UT. But I believe Wilson has the ability (and the players) to create just enough havoc to win the game. However, there’s a lot of ball to be played prior to the Horn game. Can’t wait to see how it all shakes out.

sooneron
8/10/2006, 09:22 AM
Iglesias is listed as the slot with Johnson behind him
Kelly is the wideout with Cheney and Huggins behind him. as per soonersports

Simmons is not expected back until the 4th or 5th game, last I heard.

PAW
8/10/2006, 09:52 AM
Enjoyed reading that, thanks.

Just wanted to point out that Jesse White's football career is officially over. :(

pgagolfpro77
8/10/2006, 09:54 AM
A great read! Well done!

However, I do think Murray will be playing some, and maybe the 3rd unbeleivable RB in our backfield.

Because of this, I expect some crazy options, flea flickers, etc. Should be fun!!

PAW
8/10/2006, 09:57 AM

I read a report that Simmons is now day-to-day and is expected back before the start of the season. Good news!:)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/10/2006, 09:57 AM

fred strong is currently the 3rd receiver

sooneron
8/10/2006, 10:06 AM
fred strong is currently the 3rd receiver
Hmm, they don't have him listed on the depth chart as of Aug 5.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/10/2006, 10:09 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&KEY=&ATCLID=24705&SPID=190&SPSID=4465

i think he goes by - now. we don't have a RG penciled in either...

toast
8/10/2006, 10:43 AM
thanks for the read DE, now when are you going to put the defensive breakdown up???? just kidding.

Snrfn4ever08
8/10/2006, 11:17 AM
great read

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/10/2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks DE, I really missed reading your breakdowns

Football is officially here !!

HarrisTubbsFan
8/10/2006, 11:25 AM
Good job DE.

snp
8/10/2006, 11:28 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&KEY=&ATCLID=24705&SPID=190&SPSID=4465

i think he goes by - now. we don't have a RG penciled in either...

That also has Carter ahead of Clayton, and Clayton has been announced the starter.

Also, Bowers backing up ahead of Walker? Uhhhh.

william_brasky
8/10/2006, 11:45 AM
Nice report.

I give it an A.

Well done.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/10/2006, 12:06 PM
The only things I really disagree with after reading it again are about the OLine. It'll be tough to replace the 4 seniors there. And Allen Patrick could be good but I think some people are making him out as a proven star. He's not there yet. He only had 25 carries last year.

PDXsooner
8/10/2006, 12:09 PM
awesome post. i'm an optimist too, so i like the outlook. there's enough chicken littles in the OU fanbase to drive a guy crazy.

can't wait for the D breakdown.

GoVols817
8/10/2006, 12:17 PM
Nice read... Your offense will be fine.. You have superior coaching which makes lack of experience less of a factor when you couple that with great talent, which OU always has...

MikeInNorman
8/10/2006, 01:11 PM
We know Paul Thompson is a good, strong, fast runner.

Do we?

I think the only thing we know is that PT is a fast runner, at least according to the reports from the S&C fellas. And we know he is strong physically, according to the same sources, which is not the same as being a "strong runner". As to whether we know PT is a "good" runner, I submit that a couple of 50 yard zone reads in the 4th quarter against teams getting beat by 6 touchdowns in 2003 is not enough evidence that PT is a "good" runner, just as making the wrong read 10 times and fumbling on the 3 yard line in 2006 is not enough evidence that PT is a "bad" runner.

More accurately, we HOPE that PT is both a good, and strong, runner, in addition to being a fast runner.

On the other hand, Paul Thompson is in fact a much better passer than he is being given credit for by the fans. Not JW better, but a decent, solid college QB in the passing game. In regard to finding his reads and his ability to avoid being lit up on a routine sack, PT is better than Nate Hybl. Not as accurate a passer as Nate, but a better QB in some important respects.

If PT can give us Nate Hybl 2.0, the Hybl that was a good game manager, avoided turnovers and penalties, and hit his first read enough to keep the defenses honest, we will win, and win big. In my opinion, becoming this type of a game managing QB is the biggest challenge facing Paul Thopmson.

Many a giddy poster is dreaming that KW is "changing the offense" to suit PT, imagining that this means much more QB spread opiton and QB running plays. First, KW already changed the offense to include more of those things last fall and this spring. Second, these giddy fans are making unsupported assumptions about PT's ability to handle the QB running game, and nobody is giving PT credit for his passing ability. I think you will find that KW is definitely changing some things on offense, but it is the passing game that will be changed to suit PT, not the running game.

Sorry to dwell on that one line. Otherwise, awesome report, as always.

william_brasky
8/10/2006, 01:12 PM
can't wait for the D breakdown.

here's mine:
Pain. Lots and lots of pain.

FaninAma
8/10/2006, 01:17 PM
So, what was the deal in the TCU game last year with PT and the zone read? Now admittedly I am your average Monday morning QB with far less isnight into the finer details of play calling and post game breakdown of performances than some of you but it did appear that PT misread the zone read several times in the TCU game. I've heard the reason may have been that he was forbidden to keep the ball(ie. not handoff to AD) unless it was called by the coaches.

I don't know. Any thoughts on this? And if it was the coaches who pre-called the zone read option will it be any different this year?

I_Live_In_OK
8/10/2006, 01:19 PM
I just hope the offense doesn't have any breakdowns like last year.

OUstudent4life
8/10/2006, 01:21 PM
here's mine:
Pain. Lots and lots of pain.

Sincerely, Terry Tate.

goingoneight
8/10/2006, 02:42 PM
:stupid aggy: looks like boby reid is gona eat you goonerz alive :stupid aggy:

westcoast_sooner
8/10/2006, 03:18 PM
Great read, and I think an honest assessment of the situation.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/10/2006, 03:20 PM
So, what was the deal in the TCU game last year with PT and the zone read? Now admittedly I am your average Monday morning QB with far less isnight into the finer details of play calling and post game breakdown of performances than some of you but it did appear that PT misread the zone read several times in the TCU game. I've heard the reason may have been that he was forbidden to keep the ball(ie. not handoff to AD) unless it was called by the coaches.

I don't know. Any thoughts on this? And if it was the coaches who pre-called the zone read option will it be any different this year?

well, he basically lost his job because bomar came in and made 1 correct zone read. you can extrapolate what you want from that...

PDXsooner
8/10/2006, 03:26 PM
well, he basically lost his job because bomar came in and made 1 correct zone read. you can extrapolate what you want from that...

what i've extrapolated is that people are over-extrapolating a lot of stuff from that first half against tcu...

David Earl
8/10/2006, 03:29 PM
thanks for the read DE, now when are you going to put the defensive breakdown up????

Hopefully in a day or two.

David Earl
8/10/2006, 03:35 PM
I think the only thing we know is that PT is a fast runner, at least according to the reports from the S&C fellas. And we know he is strong physically, according to the same sources, which is not the same as being a "strong runner".

Point taken. However, I was referring more to Paul's physical strength than his running style. Although I think he has the ability to run strong. I'm more concerned about him making the right read on those zone plays than his ability to run once he decides to keep it.

David Earl
8/10/2006, 03:37 PM
I've heard the reason may have been that he was forbidden to keep the ball(ie. not handoff to AD) unless it was called by the coaches.

I've heard the same thing. I don't if that's true or not, but that's what I heard.

David Earl
8/10/2006, 04:36 PM
On the other hand, Paul Thompson is in fact a much better passer than he is being given credit for by the fans. Not JW better, but a decent, solid college QB in the passing game. In regard to finding his reads and his ability to avoid being lit up on a routine sack, PT is better than Nate Hybl. Not as accurate a passer as Nate, but a better QB in some important respects.

If PT can give us Nate Hybl 2.0, the Hybl that was a good game manager, avoided turnovers and penalties, and hit his first read enough to keep the defenses honest, we will win, and win big. In my opinion, becoming this type of a game managing QB is the biggest challenge facing Paul Thopmson.

Many a giddy poster is dreaming that KW is "changing the offense" to suit PT, imagining that this means much more QB spread opiton and QB running plays. First, KW already changed the offense to include more of those things last fall and this spring. Second, these giddy fans are making unsupported assumptions about PT's ability to handle the QB running game, and nobody is giving PT credit for his passing ability. I think you will find that KW is definitely changing some things on offense, but it is the passing game that will be changed to suit PT, not the running game.

Those are three fascinating paragraphs. The Hybl comparison seems fair to me. I'm not sure I agree with the ideas about Paul's running ability, but it's good food for thought.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/10/2006, 04:46 PM
what i've extrapolated is that people are over-extrapolating a lot of stuff from that first half against tcu...

why do you hate bob stoops?

PDXsooner
8/10/2006, 04:59 PM
it's the visor. that and the fact that he played his senior year with a torn acl.

jkm, how much truth is there to the belief that the pac 10 tends to put their best athletes on offense and the big 12 tends to put their best athletes on defense?

william_brasky
8/10/2006, 05:01 PM
so basically we're doomed. :twinkies:

David Earl
8/10/2006, 05:44 PM
so basically we're doomed.

It's probably worse than you imagine.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/10/2006, 05:47 PM
it's the visor. that and the fact that he played his senior year with a torn acl.

jkm, how much truth is there to the belief that the pac 10 tends to put their best athletes on offense and the big 12 tends to put their best athletes on defense?

i think its just the natural bias of the recruiting grounds. as the high school teams in our area have moved away from the 3 yards and a cloud of dust, you have seen more prolific non-running backs in our neck of the woods...

TrophyCollector
8/10/2006, 06:16 PM
One advantage that we will have with PT at QB is that he won't have to spend the first 4 or 5 games learning how to take a snap from center without putting it on the turf.

However, we won't have the superstar QB who can throw the big pass in OT to beat Baylor in Norman.

If PT stays healthy, the QB position is in as good or better shape than it was 2 weeks ago - for this season anyway.

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2006, 07:28 PM
O-Line
I really think our line will be okay, maybe even pretty good. The guys should struggle a little at first, until they jell. That might take some time, but I think this group will be okay.

Sounds VERY optimistic to me.

I think this is probably the worst looking o-line since Stoops has been @ OU.

Hope I am wrong.

Desert Sapper
8/10/2006, 08:26 PM
I like your analysis DE.

I hope the O-Line is as good as you are hoping as early as possible. That will be a big key (as we know from last season) to our success. I like the way they seem to be shaping up from those that have been watching them through the spring and summer. It seems like we are miles ahead of where we were last year right now.

ENA has the physical tools to be very successful. He has more arm strength and throwing ability than anybody has been giving him credit for. Basing his ability on one game, a game in which our O-Line looked like total crap, is completely unfair. Whether he read the zone correctly or not is mostly irrelevant. He was running for his life from a halfway decent TCU D. How he shapes up mentally as a QB (and who can argue with his current mentor?) will make all the difference.