PDA

View Full Version : WE ARE AT RED ALERT, PEOPLE!

Penguin
8/10/2006, 04:37 AM
US raises threat level for all commercial aircraft (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/10/AR2006081000166.html)

"Over the last few hours, British authorities have arrested a significant number of extremists engaged in a substantial plot to destroy multiple passenger aircraft flying from the United Kingdom to the United States," the statement released by the DHS press office said.

Jerk
8/10/2006, 05:12 AM
I wonder what religious group the plotters belonged to?

hmm.....

hmmmmm..........?

Okla-homey
8/10/2006, 05:14 AM
;) But surely if the US brings the troops home from Iraq and leaves Iraq to the Iraqis all this scary stuff will cease and it will be like the good old days when we thought muslims were quaint and harmless and they thought we were all infidel pig-dogs who deserved to die...but they were willing to tolerate us if Allah would.:rolleyes:

Okla-homey
8/10/2006, 05:15 AM
I wonder what religious group the plotters belonged to?

hmm.....

hmmmmm..........?

I'm virtually certain they are Presbyterians.

Jerk
8/10/2006, 05:23 AM

I almost spit my coffee up on that one!

Okla-homey
8/10/2006, 06:12 AM
Background. 'Member the "shoe bomber?" He made us have to take off our shoes for inspection before boarding. Now, we may have to go to a "no carry-ons rule" which would succs. Thanks a lot terrorists.

Perhaps we should just go with hospital gowns and bare feet for flying. You check-in, strip, put on a hospital gown, then board the flight.;)

US raises air security alert to red for first time

Aug 10, 6:26 AM (ET)
By Todd Eastham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government raised the security alert on passenger planes to its highest level for the first time on Thursday after Britain said it had foiled a plot to blow up flights to the United States.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said it was taking an unprecedented step by raising the threat level for commercial flights originating in the United Kingdom to "severe," or red.

The threat level for all other commercial aircraft operating in or destined for the United States would be raised to "high," or orange, from "elevated," or yellow, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said in a statement.

The threat level for the country as a whole remained at yellow, according to the department's Web site.

Homeland Security took immediate steps that included barring passengers from carrying liquids, including beverages, hair gels and lotions, on planes. It said travelers in both countries should expect long delays.

A British police source said the plot was believed to involve a "liquid chemical" device.

"Over the last few hours, British authorities have arrested a significant number of extremists engaged in a substantial plot to destroy multiple passenger aircraft flying from the United Kingdom to the United States," the statement released by the DHS press office said.

TRANSATLANTIC THREAT

British police said they had thwarted a plot to blow up aircraft in mid-flight between Britain and the United States and were holding 21 people in connection with the plot. The arrests were made in the London and Birmingham areas.

In response, Britain's security services raised its threat level to "critical" from "severe," the highest of its five ratings, suggesting "an attack is expected imminently."

"Currently, there is no indication ... of plotting within the United States," Chertoff said. "We believe that these arrests have significantly disrupted the threat, but we cannot be sure that the threat has been entirely eliminated or the plot completely thwarted."

"Consistent with these higher threat levels, the Transportation Security Administration is coordinating with federal partners, airport authorities and commercial airlines on expanding the intensity of existing security requirements.

"Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane. This determination will be constantly evaluated and updated when circumstances warrant," the statement said.

"Travelers should also anticipate additional security measures within the airport and at screening checkpoints," it said, and travelers in both countries were told to expect long delays. The changes took effect at 4 a.m. EDT.

Chertoff, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and FBI Director Robert Mueller were to hold a news conference in Washington on the security situation from 8 a.m. EDT.

Stock markets in Europe were lower in response to the security scare, led by European airline shares. British Airways shares were down 3.5 percent in morning trading.

crawfish
8/10/2006, 07:31 AM

annnnnnd....

Methodists!!!

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2006, 08:07 AM
Militant Presbyterianism must be confronted NOW!

bri
8/10/2006, 08:09 AM
Yeah, yeah...but were there SNAKES?

WILBURJIM
8/10/2006, 08:16 AM
Well, it couldn't be muslims involved, because every article I've read
online never mentions muslims or islam. The Reuters article doesn't even mention "terrorists." So yeah, I'll have to go with militant, methodical, Presbyterian, Bomar paying, Radicals.

OUDoc
8/10/2006, 08:43 AM
WE ARE AT RED ALERT, PEOPLE!
I hear the color red stops terrorists in their tracks.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2006, 08:44 AM
Okay, you're probably thinking THA is going off again, but, since I fly internationally and have a scheduled flight next week to London, here goes...

[soap box on/]Damn the "south Asians" to hell!!! The muslims better start rooting this crap out or better start vocally denouncing this crap or you are going to start seeing people take measures into their own hands. USA Today had a cry piece about how the muslims are all stressed out because of how they are currently being treated. Clue phone, when one group of people is causing all the trouble and trying to kill innocents, then you're going to get a backlash!

I'm sorry this is time for community action and time to start reeling in the malcreants! I'm tired of this crap and in general people are going to start to be tired of this crap and you're going to start to see incidents. Perhaps we round up the muslim community into camps like we did to the Japanese. It may not be socially nice, but when one group harbors the vast amount of global terrorists and said group doesn't vocally denounce that subgroup, then I'm sorry, you're just as culpable and giving tacit approval!

That's what I think...[/soap box off]

C&CDean
8/10/2006, 09:04 AM
I'm glad I flew home yesterday. But that flight next Tuesday is gonna be a bitch.....

bri
8/10/2006, 09:06 AM
Why? Are there gonna be snakes?

You know, on a plane?

Howzit
8/10/2006, 09:06 AM
I get to fly home from Dee-troit tomorrow. A-rab capital of the US methinks. Figure there will be heightened heightened security here? :mad:

Mjcpr
8/10/2006, 09:10 AM
I get to fly home from Dee-troit tomorrow. A-rab capital of the US methinks. Figure there will be heightened heightened security here? :mad:

Was your encounter with ScottD everything you had hoped?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2006, 09:20 AM
Here's an update from a British Air frequent flyer board...

Now, as far as airline security rumours go, and I must emphasise this has not been verified yet, it is believed that there were several aircraft to be targetted and that the terrorists had allegedly found a way to by-pass security. The plot was, in addition to detonating explosive devices over UK and US cities using an electrical device (key fob, mobile phone, mp3 player etc), the cabin baggage would contain bio-hazards (anthrax or similar) or "dirty" radiocative material so that the effects would be far-reaching. (Hence the insistence on baby food being tasted by the parent(s) at security.)

Taxman71
8/10/2006, 09:25 AM
After flying in and out of Atlanta last week, I frankly don't care if I ever fly on an airplane again. Thanks Delta and your uber-friendly staff in the airport.

nanimonai
8/10/2006, 09:25 AM
They're going to have to make everyone fly naked....it's the only solution.

yermom
8/10/2006, 09:38 AM
so if someone is going to blowthemselves up mid-flight, do you really think they are going to care if they eat Anthrax or something?

and i think the terror level went up for :dolemite: they knew he was coming

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/10/2006, 09:39 AM
My consultant from Atanta is here this week and he flies out this morning.

He left his toiletry bag with me until he comes back next week. He's so not looking forward to this flight...

There's some really expensive lotion in there I just might try after he's gone...:mack:

Taxman71
8/10/2006, 09:39 AM
I'm down with that...as long as people put towels on the seats before they sit so as to avoid skidmarks on the seats resembling a finely-seared t-bone.

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2006, 09:42 AM
so if someone is going to blowthemselves up mid-flight, do you really think they are going to care if they eat Anthrax or something?

Imagine them doing that very thing over NYC or DC.

Wouldn't be pretty at all.

SoonerInKCMO
8/10/2006, 09:44 AM
I heard they were going to use Diet Coke & Mentos bombs.

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2006, 09:48 AM
Oh the humanity...
http://www.nlhs.com/images/hindenburg/big_hindenburg_explodes_over_lakehurst.jpg

bri
8/10/2006, 10:09 AM
and i think the terror level went up for :dolemite: they knew he was coming

DOLEOS ON A PLANE!!!! :eek:

Oldnslo
8/10/2006, 10:22 AM
GET MEL GIBSON ON THIS IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

skycat
8/10/2006, 10:31 AM
I have a hard time believing that Antrax spread from an exploding plane would cause a signifigant amount of casualties. You would have to have huge amounts of it to make any kind of impact.

And terrorist plot or no, I think the screeners take a second look at large stashes of white powder in luggage.

skycat
8/10/2006, 10:34 AM
And on the Muslim thing. If I lean back in my chair, I can see a practicing Muslim right across the hall from me. I would not hesitate to leave him alone in the presence of my wife or child. The guy is one of the nicest men I've ever met. And there are several more like him within a couple of hundred feet of my desk.

This stuff is serious business, but some of the hysteria needs to be dialed back a bit.

mrowl
8/10/2006, 10:41 AM
http://www.startrekfreedom.com/images/reda.gif

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 10:46 AM
I just hope the investigators, who are trying to determine if there is an imminent danger of more of these attacks, remember the civil rights of the young men in custody.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2006, 10:48 AM
And on the Muslim thing. If I lean back in my chair, I can see a practicing Muslim right across the hall from me. I would not hesitate to leave him alone in the presence of my wife or child. The guy is one of the nicest men I've ever met. And there are several more like him within a couple of hundred feet of my desk.

This stuff is serious business, but some of the hysteria needs to be dialed back a bit.

Has he voiced outrage for what people are doing in the name of his religion? I work with many muslims and arabs and I think highly of them.

I am not saying to go out and harrass people, I am saying the muslims better get a handle on this and start voicing outrage, or people as they are are going to start doing things on their own. Silence = tacit approval. Glenn Beck has been speaking about this, this morning. You don't hear about Christians, Catholics, Coptics, Orthodox, Bahai's, Kabalahs, Jews, Hindus and Buddists plotting bombings and trying to create havoc. I can see if another 9/11 occurs, drastic things start to happen. All I'm saying. I lived in Norman during the Iran Hostage crisis, everyday, the mosque was targeted and fire-bombed a couple of times. Right? no, but understandable and it can be expected...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2006, 10:49 AM
I just hope the investigators, who are trying to determine if there is an imminent danger of more of these attacks, remember the civil rights of the young men in custody.

You need to use the winky when you talk this stuff...;)

The U.K. doesn't have quite the due process we expect in the U.S.

Petro-Sooner
8/10/2006, 10:50 AM

Bingo. I was thinking WTF???

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 10:51 AM

i was looking for the vomit. i figured the ;) goes without saying.

toast
8/10/2006, 10:54 AM
There's some really expensive lotion in there I just might try after he's gone..

go on...

nanimonai
8/10/2006, 10:57 AM
Has he voiced outrage for what people are doing in the name of his religion? I work with many muslims and arabs and I think highly of them.

I am not saying to go out and harrass people, I am saying the muslims better get a handle on this and start voicing outrage, or people as they are are going to start doing things on their own. Silence = tacit approval. Glenn Beck has been speaking about this, this morning. You don't hear about Christians, Catholics, Coptics, Orthodox, Bahai's, Kabalahs, Jews, Hindus and Buddists plotting bombings and trying to create havoc. I can see if another 9/11 occurs, drastic things start to happen. All I'm saying. I lived in Norman during the Iran Hostage crisis, everyday, the mosque was targeted and fire-bombed a couple of times. Right? no, but understandable and it can be expected...

Don't you realize that your silent approval of terrorizing uninvolved Muslims is the exact same thing you are complaining about??

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2006, 10:59 AM
Don't you realize that your silent approval of terrorizing uninvolved Muslims is the exact same thing you are complaining about??

No

I haven't indicted or terrorized any people.

nanimonai
8/10/2006, 11:06 AM
No

I haven't indicted or terrorized any people.

But you said you would understand people taking out frustrations on innocent Muslims.
Isn't that the same thing as Muslims saying they don't approve of 9/11 (or terror in general) but they understand which is what you seem to be complaining about.

skycat
8/10/2006, 11:08 AM

So is that tacit approval of actions that would harm innocents? Sorry if I don't find that understandable, acceptable, or something to be expected.

And if you think that people don't do horrible things in the name of a Christian God, look into the connections between McVeigh and the Wack jobs in and around St. Mary's, Kansas.

This is not to say that I am opposed to wiping out all those that truly believe that Allah demands the slaughter of infidels. I don't have a problem with that. At all. But if you support, condone, or allow attacks on people like my co-worker, you can bet that I'll stand up to oppose that.

Okla-homey
8/10/2006, 11:11 AM
The good news is, we're busting these guys and locking them up. No successful attacks since 9-11in the USA. Everyone likes to beat-up on Bush, but I say the administration must be doing something right. Three harumphs for the British cops too.

VeeJay
8/10/2006, 11:19 AM
Not to make anyone nervous or anything, but I believe George Kennedy has renewed his pilot's license and is now flying for Delta.

GottaHavePride
8/10/2006, 11:19 AM
http://www.startrekfreedom.com/images/reda.gif

http://www.doctorpundit.com/images/uploads/khan.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2006, 11:24 AM
So is that tacit approval of actions that would harm innocents? Sorry if I don't find that understandable, acceptable, or something to be expected.

And if you think that people don't do horrible things in the name of a Christian God, look into the connections between McVeigh and the Wack jobs in and around St. Mary's, Kansas.

This is not to say that I am opposed to wiping out all those that truly believe that Allah demands the slaughter of infidels. I don't have a problem with that. At all. But if you support, condone, or allow attacks on people like my co-worker, you can bet that I'll stand up to oppose that.

I believe many muslims DO NOT think like the terrorists.

However, where in the Arab world is the outrage for Hesbollah? Everyone is so concerned for the poor Lebanese, when Hezbollah, uses homes, UN outposts and parks to launch their rocket attacks and then run away expecting an Isreali response. Where is the Arab world and Hezbollah accepting Israel right to exist and not speaking of "wiping them off the earth".

The people in Kansas, while crack pots and despicable, are only voicing their beliefs. I don't see them attacking people or trying to blow up funeral processions. I still question whether McViegh was totally alone with his attack and don't necessarily believe in the conspiracy theories, but he wasn't a religious person attacking people for a religious conviction. He at least was against the government for perceived wrong to a group and attacked a soft government target. Still heinous and still wrong.

I never said attack anyone, I just said after what I have seen, I would not be SURPRISED if that happened. The muslim community has been too reticent on this issue and I think it will bite them. More of a bad PR move, but should anything happen in the U.S. to to a U.S. target, I think the recalcitrance will come back to haunt muslims and people of arab decent. I saw what happened in Norman during the Iran hostage crisis, it could happen again.

Now reported 50 "south Asians" or "Pakistani's" depending on the source have been arrested in the U.K.

OUDoc
8/10/2006, 11:39 AM
I

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 11:40 AM
I

One of your best posts. ;)

OUDoc
8/10/2006, 11:41 AM
I WANT THESE MOTHER****ING TERRORISTS OFF THIS MOTHER****ING PLANE!

OUDoc
8/10/2006, 11:42 AM
Hmmm. My computer's having technical difficulties.

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 12:45 PM

How about this?:

I demand a full investigation into how this information was obtained. If it is discovered that the authorities used an eavesdropping method that was not published in advance, then I demand their immediate release and the return of all of their personal property unjustly seized.

Okla-homey
8/10/2006, 12:49 PM
How about this?:

I demand a full investigation into how this information was obtained. If it is discovered that the authorities used an eavesdropping method that was not published in advance, then I demand their immediate release and the return of all of their personal property unjustly seized.

and blow-up all the flights too for good measure. Those countless lives saved were "fruit from the poisonous tree";)

85Sooner
8/10/2006, 12:52 PM
Muslim Dictionary

Meaning for the word "Cease Fire" Verb meaning to reload all weapons.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2006, 12:54 PM
How about this?:

How about this,

Why don't we find a deep hole, throw them in and then fill it up?

TopDaugIn2000
8/10/2006, 01:03 PM
I'm also VERY glad I flew home yesterday, or I'd be driving from Atlanta right now.