PDA

View Full Version : I wonder what USC has on the NCAA after this...

royalfan5
8/9/2006, 06:41 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/articles/0809jarrett-ON.html

Jarrett reinstated. I like to think that Pete Carroll has photos of Myles Brand involved in a Clerks II style donkey show.

Texas
8/9/2006, 06:43 PM
i expected a mike williams type ruling :(

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/9/2006, 06:46 PM
buwahahahahaha - it totalled $18,000 for 13 MONTHS

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 06:48 PM
Let me get this straight, Bomar claims 19k on his taxes for not working, he has to be booted and OU has to worry about sanctions... Jarrett gets 19k in free housing benefit, which he DOESNT claim on taxes, and USC gets to let him play? Does that sound a little out of whack to anyone else?

EDIT: sorry, 18K, same difference.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/9/2006, 06:51 PM
not really. if you are

A) a big time program
and you
B) deny you did anything wrong
and
C) don't have an opposing coach as the primary witness

you can get away with it...

fadada1
8/9/2006, 06:54 PM
buwahahahahaha - it totalled $18,000 for 13 MONTHS
seriously. it's like he wasn't even trying.

pgagolfpro77
8/9/2006, 07:06 PM
Let me get this straight, Bomar claims 19k on his taxes for not working, he has to be booted and OU has to worry about sanctions... Jarrett gets 19k in free housing benefit, which he DOESNT claim on taxes, and USC gets to let him play? Does that sound a little out of whack to anyone else?

Worse, The Dumbass is now reported to have only taken around $3,000 too much.

Regardless, I'm glad that retard is off the team, bc now I feel if he had the chance, he would have done something FAR worse.

"You gotta watch him....just got somethin to prove"

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2006, 07:16 PM
Good grief.

Scott D
8/9/2006, 08:06 PM
i expected a mike williams type ruling :(

Why? Williams was ruled inelgiible because he didn't meet the academic requirements needed to maintain his status with the NCAA. Show me where Jarrett decided not to go to any classes and in fact withdrew from them during the spring semester.

tulsaoilerfan
8/9/2006, 09:57 PM
So 18K in free rent and utilities isn't enough to get him suspended for even a game? Wow, USC has replaced Neuter Dame as the sacred cow of the NCAA; what a freaking joke.

tulsaoilerfan
8/9/2006, 09:57 PM
And i always thought that ignorance of the law wasn't an excuse to avoid punishment; try that one in court sometime

Sooner-N-KS
8/9/2006, 10:04 PM
I don't get it. It says he benefited $18K, but they are only requiring that he pays $5,352 to charity.

It appears the NCAA is allowing him to keep $15 in benefits.

And all this is at the same time that Reggie Bush's family was receiving benefits.

sooneron
8/9/2006, 10:06 PM
Dude, there is no understanding the ncaa and the chosen schools of nd and suc.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 10:42 PM
just one more reason to hate usc with a passion. if they lay sanctions on OU, all hell will break loose.

Ash
8/9/2006, 11:28 PM
My conspiracy theory:
I blame ESPN and NCAA lust for the SoCal TV market (and any and all big markets). Big markets = big money. Having USC good again is a big TV draw just like it is for Notre Dame. USC, Notre Dame and any other big ratings, merchandise, money draws get leverage with the powers that be...others, not so much.

OUstud
8/9/2006, 11:36 PM
My conspiracy theory:
I blame ESPN and NCAA lust for the SoCal TV market (and any and all big markets). Big markets = big money. Having USC good again is a big TV draw just like it is for Notre Dame. USC, Notre Dame and any other big ratings, merchandise, money draws get leverage with the powers that be...others, not so much.

I'll spek that. Norman isn't a huge market and while we have obviously established ourselves with a spectacular tradition, there will always be naysayers claiming we cheated for all of our glory, whereas SUC's 21st century renaissance opens up the football interest in LA (which may=NFL?) and they let things like free houses slide.

goingoneight
8/9/2006, 11:38 PM
OJ Simpson. Johnny Cochran.

'nuff said.

jwlynn64
8/9/2006, 11:41 PM
I don't get it. It says he benefited $18K, but they are only requiring that he pays $5,352 to charity.

And all this is at the same time that Reggie Bush's family was receiving benefits.

I think that the article was really not clear about the full benefits and repayment. It clearly said that he had to pay the 5300 but it also sounded like he has to pay the difference as well. Very confusing?:confused:

Ash
8/9/2006, 11:55 PM
I'll spek that. Norman isn't a huge market and while we have obviously established ourselves with a spectacular tradition, there will always be naysayers claiming we cheated for all of our glory, whereas SUC's 21st century renaissance opens up the football interest in LA (which may=NFL?) and they let things like free houses slide.

I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet OU probably draws as well or better than most schools with tradition that aren't in big markets. But it's pretty well known that Notre Dame and SUC draw huge oustide of their regions.

It makes me sick, but it's one of those things. Kinda like Duke, I wish I wouldn't be subjected to 24-7 Duke-love during basketball season -- but it won't go away!!!!!:mad:

soonerinabilene
8/10/2006, 01:58 AM

bomar didnt HAVE to be booted from the team(see troy smith's punishment). we just have a coach that doesnt put up with that. And i love him for it.
now, if we get sanctioned, and it is a pretty big if considering how stoops and co. handled it, then we can raise all the hell we want. but im really not too worried about it. stoops gave the most severe punishment he could. what else can the ncaa expect to do?

Desert Sapper
8/10/2006, 02:17 AM
what else can the ncaa expect to do?

Do you really need to ask that question?

Sooner-N-KS
8/10/2006, 06:06 AM

'nuff said.

If the lease don't fit, you must acquit. :eek:

Scott D
8/10/2006, 06:37 AM
I think that the article was really not clear about the full benefits and repayment. It clearly said that he had to pay the 5300 but it also sounded like he has to pay the difference as well. Very confusing?:confused:

not really, it looks like the NCAA worked out what Jarrett's half should have been, then subtracted what he had actually paid from it. I'm guessing the $960/mo housing stipend is what players get out there.

The NCAA is requiring him to give to charity the full value of his $960 monthly housing stipend, minus what he already paid in rent, plus half the cost of utilities for the time he lived in the apartment.

GoVols817
8/10/2006, 07:56 AM
bomar didnt HAVE to be booted from the team(see troy smith's punishment). we just have a coach that doesnt put up with that. And i love him for it.
now, if we get sanctioned, and it is a pretty big if considering how stoops and co. handled it, then we can raise all the hell we want. but im really not too worried about it. stoops gave the most severe punishment he could. what else can the ncaa expect to do?

I know he didnt HAVE to be booted, but Stoops really didnt have a choice if he wanted to play it safe, which I commend him for also... Anyway, I just think its a sham... I think they pick and choose who they want to go after... When the Bush and Jarrett stories broke, you saw them on ESPN for 2 days, after that, it was dropped... They are still doing OTL segments about Bama-TN 7 years later... Its rediculous...

southern sooner
8/10/2006, 08:14 AM
This is such a weak ruling by the NCAA. They really need to stay away from us then, we dealt with the issue....

Taxman71
8/10/2006, 09:18 AM
The NCAA is a bunch of communists and ND and USC are treated like younger siblings of Josef Stalin. I will be interested to see the Stoops bashers take on Pete Carroll. Let's see if the same people who think Stoops should monitor each player's work arrangements also think Carrol should monitor each player's living arrangements.

Scott D
8/10/2006, 12:47 PM
I know he didnt HAVE to be booted, but Stoops really didnt have a choice if he wanted to play it safe, which I commend him for also... Anyway, I just think its a sham... I think they pick and choose who they want to go after... When the Bush and Jarrett stories broke, you saw them on ESPN for 2 days, after that, it was dropped... They are still doing OTL segments about Bama-TN 7 years later... Its rediculous...

That's probably because the Bama-TN thing was a violation of the NCAA's Holy Grail of rules violations........recruiting.

We'd be in deep **** if the BRS&I job thing was a recruiting tool, but it wasn't.

paraloma
8/10/2006, 12:52 PM
Bomar should be reinstated for about $4,000.

PAW
8/10/2006, 04:13 PM
not really, it looks like the NCAA worked out what Jarrett's half should have been, then subtracted what he had actually paid from it. I'm guessing the $960/mo housing stipend is what players get out there.

So, what was he doing with his $960 stipend for housing? Taking the extra $310 for other uses? Hmmmm.

jwlynn64
8/10/2006, 04:13 PM
I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet OU probably draws as well or better than most schools with tradition that aren't in big markets. But it's pretty well known that Notre Dame and SUC draw huge oustide of their regions.

Remember that OU's popularity (along with a lawsuit) broke the NCAA's stranglehold on the television rights to CFB. OU was offered the CBS contract first (and turned it down for some crazy reason) that ND eventually ended up with.

OU games are traditionally ranked among the highest watched.

Don't shortchange the popularity of OU thoughout the country.

OU is to ratings as :twinkies: are to Homer! :D

"Oh sweet twinkie, how could I ever be mad at you?" - HJS

royalfan5
8/10/2006, 04:30 PM
So, what was he doing with his $960 stipend for housing? Taking the extra $310 for other uses? Hmmmm.
It's not against the rules not to spend all of your stipend. If it were, everybody would be fielding teams of walk-ons because very few atheletes spend their whole stipend on housing.

snp
8/10/2006, 04:54 PM
I think the NCAA got the decision right on this one.

That is if there are no sanctions on either us or them, then that's fine.

SOONER44EVER
8/10/2006, 04:56 PM
The way this rule reads, if Bill gates has a son who plays college ball, Bill could buy a luxury hotel and let the entire team live there free with no repercussions to the players, team or university. Nice ruling NCAA guys.:confused:

TXBOOMER
8/10/2006, 05:22 PM

'nuff said.

I wonder how many times ol Johnny has has his throat cut by OJ's ex-wife in Hell?

Luthor
8/10/2006, 05:31 PM

Cost of living in LA dude. Oh yeah, I also forgot about the gigantic media market deal and the full time ESPN scrotum tick assigned to the USuCk campus. The NCAA didn't slap Reggie on the wrist (or even ask any questions?) so how can they come back and attempt to nab Jarrett?

jeremy885
8/10/2006, 07:52 PM
I know it's Southern CA but what kind of apartment cost 3866 a month? The player didn't know it was against the rules? Let's see, I live in this fly apartment that cost 3866 a month, but only paid $650 as my share of the rent? Unless his room was a closet, how could he not figure out that he gained this "benefit" by playing for USC?

Harry Beanbag
8/10/2006, 07:55 PM
I know it's Southern CA but what kind of apartment cost 3866 a month? The player didn't know it was against the rules? Let's see, I live in this fly apartment that cost 3866 a month, but only paid $650 as my share of the rent? Unless his room was a closet, how could he not figure out that he gained this "benefit" by playing for USC?

He got a discount because he had to live under the same roof as Leinart and Nick Lachey.

jeremy885
8/10/2006, 07:58 PM
He got a discount because he had to live under the same roof as Leinart and Nick Lachey.

Ok, now I understand the ruling. :D

Ash
8/10/2006, 10:01 PM
Remember that OU's popularity (along with a lawsuit) broke the NCAA's stranglehold on the television rights to CFB. OU was offered the CBS contract first (and turned it down for some crazy reason) that ND eventually ended up with.

OU games are traditionally ranked among the highest watched.

Don't shortchange the popularity of OU thoughout the country.

OU is to ratings as :twinkies: are to Homer! :D

"Oh sweet twinkie, how could I ever be mad at you?" - HJS

Not trying to short change OU. Like I said, didn't know the numbers, not surprised OU does really well. And Hell, maybe I been lied to but from what I understand ND is huge in the NE market and USC brings in southern California and interest from across the nation. Meh, it's just a theory anyway...

mmm....:twinkies:

SOONER44EVER
8/10/2006, 11:07 PM
He wasn't getting an extra benefit. The NCAA ruling says so. :confused:

Prodigal
8/11/2006, 01:18 AM
I think the NCAA ruling is pretty much common sense and a lot of you guys are either pretty stupid or very biased.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/11/2006, 01:20 AM
I think the NCAA ruling is pretty much common sense and a lot of you guys are either pretty stupid or very biased.

That's a great way to make friends

Desert Sapper
8/11/2006, 01:35 AM
I think the NCAA is perfect in every conceivable way and a lot of you guys are poopy heads -- nya nya.

You're my hero.

SOONER44EVER
8/11/2006, 02:12 AM
The kid got an extra benefit nobody else got. It should be a violation.

jwlynn64
8/11/2006, 09:03 AM
Not trying to short change OU. Like I said, didn't know the numbers, not surprised OU does really well. And Hell, maybe I been lied to but from what I understand ND is huge in the NE market and USC brings in southern California and interest from across the nation. Meh, it's just a theory anyway...

mmm....:twinkies:

Of course the lawsuit and CBS contract happened in the late 70s (early 80s maybe). Things might be different now but I read an article a couple of years ago (didn't save it however) that listed teams and television ratings. OU was still near the top.

Of course ND is hugh with all of the Catholics so they have fans everywhere. And USC does have a lot of support throughout the country as well.

Basically, I think that if your school has a tradition of winning you will have a large following accross the country.

AllVol
8/11/2006, 09:16 AM

Wow, I didnt come anywhere close to saying anything this inflammatory, and this guy got a free pass... Guess that just goes to show how much more sensitive people are when you make a point they dont like but cant argue...lol

jwlynn64
8/11/2006, 09:46 AM

I haven't heard anyone say that the school should get sactions but Jarrett obviously got away with one. I can't speak for anyone else but that is what I am ****ed about.:mad:

I can understand he may not have known that what he was doing was wrong (and that is the only thing that separates him from Bomar/Quinn) but stupidity shouldn't be an acceptable excuse. :les: It also aggravates me that the school had to know where he was living (a students address is something that the team would surely know) and they didn't think it was suspicious.

Sure, I went to school with lots of guys who could afford $1600 in rent every month as well as gas money and splitting the bills!!!! :eek: Where is the schools accountability in all of this? We should at least hear about a compliance department firing or something.

Face it, USC dropped the ball, Jarrett received as much benefit as Bomar (approximately $18,000.) If just seems that Jarrett should have been suspended for a couple of games and have to pay back every penny that he received as a benefit.

AllVol
8/11/2006, 09:53 AM
Agreed, SOMEthing had to be done, 1 game, something, just show everyone else that USC at least has to pretend they play by the same rules...

Blues1
8/11/2006, 09:59 AM
Help me out here....Has anything been done about Bush's Parents having that Million dollar House..?? - Did I miss the outcome - or is it still to be handle..??
Whats Happening on that little perk..???

Wondering & R'

AllVol
8/11/2006, 10:33 AM
Help me out here....Has anything been done about Bush's Parents having that Million dollar House..?? - Did I miss the outcome - or is it still to be handle..??

Wondering & R'

I have never heard a resolution to that... I think with Bush being such a cash cow for both the NCAA and the NFL right now, I wouldnt be suprised for that to be dismissed as legal or 'not bad enough' to punish USC..

Macanudo
8/11/2006, 11:47 AM
Why USC gets a free pass id beyond me. IF the NCAA doesn't come down hard on them (or USC or tOSU, etc) then people at A&M, CU, etc. think they can get away with it too. And then we're back in the 80's dealing with all sorts of crap.

USC should get nailed hard for what has gone on there the past couple of years.

SOONER44EVER
8/11/2006, 06:51 PM

Wondering & R'
It wasn't a million dollar house. It was a 750 K house. I think 750K is the NCAA limit for an agent giving a house to a player's family. :D

Flagstaffsooner
8/11/2006, 06:57 PM
It wasn't a million dollar house. It was a 750 K house. I think 750K is the NCAA limit for an agent giving a house to a player's family. :Dspek

snp
8/11/2006, 08:53 PM
The kid got an extra benefit nobody else got. It should be a violation.

The COLLEGE kid receieved a benefit that is very widespread throughout college. I hate USC as much as the next guy, but I don't think he did anything wrong.

goingoneight
8/11/2006, 11:58 PM

Good point, but the NCAA probably would have let JD and Rhett play again, too had they abided by a certain code and given the moneny/stuff back. The difference is, we don't have a club of billionaires filling up our stadium. We have a good coach, who would rather do the right thing and lose it all, than be known a cheat. Unfortunately, we live with Okie Aggies and bandwagon whorns who are stupid enough to believe that he is a cheat, even when he did the right thing.

jwlynn64
8/12/2006, 12:42 AM
The COLLEGE kid receieved a benefit that is very widespread throughout college. I hate USC as much as the next guy, but I don't think he did anything wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up Super. I guess as long as everyone is breaking the rule, that makes it OK. Sorry, I guess that I was under the false impression that the rules for COLLEGE ATHLETES were meant to be followed. ;)

Just to be clear, are you comparing Jarrett to other college kids or to other college athletes? Mooching off of your friends when you are just a regular joe is OK. If you are on an athletic team, then it isn't OK.

I agree that many athletes probably move off campus and share rent. Maybe they even let other athletes stay with them without collecting rent. But what makes Jarretts case different, is that he was living in a $3300/month apartment. Even if that is LA, that is not a normal apartment at the Switzerland apartments!!!!:eek:

I am just surprised at how many people are willing to just let this go.:confused: I need to go ask for a raise or something because I seem to be one of the few that thinks $18,000 is a lot of money.

Hell, I didn't make that much actually working when I went to school. Hech, I would even go so far as to say that just a normal guy, hitting up his room mate for that much a year is wrong as well.

But hey, I guess if you live in California, that just SOP. At least the NCAA seems to think so.

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2006, 12:53 AM

I understand that you are ignorant as to the rules and bylaws of the NCAA. As a little brother of a guy that was a Compliance Officer for an NCAA athletise program I'll try to relate it this way with a true story.

I lived in the trailer park on Classen across the tracks from the Commons and Sterling. I was going to school one morning on a bitter cold and icy morning. A red and white S-10 blazer was disabled on the side of the road and I saw a guy walking towards campus on the campus side of the blazer. I pulled over and gave him a ride. It turned out to be Hollis Price.

The official story is that I gave him a ride to class.
I did not give him a ride to the Conoco where an assistant basketball coach picked him up. Because if the basketball coach would have picked him up and had never picked up a non athlete it would be against the NCAA rules.

The NCAA's rules do not make sense but they are what they are.

RedstickSooner
8/12/2006, 01:43 AM
The way this rule reads, if Bill gates has a son who plays college ball, Bill could buy a luxury hotel and let the entire team live there free with no repercussions to the players, team or university. Nice ruling NCAA guys.:confused:

Actually, by doing that (making it open to all the players), wouldn't it be less against the rules -- since the rules are directed at benefits given to specific players?

Like if a rich dude donated a private jet to carry all the players to and from games -- that'd probably be okay -- but if the private jet was only used for, say, the star RB and QB, that wouldn't be.

I could be wrong here -- maybe one of the rules experts could step in and clarify?

RedstickSooner
8/12/2006, 02:23 AM
Good point, but the NCAA probably would have let JD and Rhett play again, too had they abided by a certain code and given the moneny/stuff back.

I partially agree, but what cheeses me off about this Jarett deal is that they aren't even making him pay it back!

He's being made to give back half of the utilities (which apparently he hadn't been paying originally), and the EXTRA money he pocketed by paying less in rent than his housing stipend.

Scholarship athletes shouldn't get housing stipends -- they should be required to live in dormitories. And, yeah, there's no way a $4,000 apartment is "normal" anywhere, even in SoCal. (And isn't USC in the ghetto? Or is that UCLA?)

snp
8/12/2006, 05:29 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Super. I guess as long as everyone is breaking the rule, that makes it OK. Sorry, I guess that I was under the false impression that the rules for COLLEGE ATHLETES were meant to be followed. ;)

What the hell are you even talking about? That's not my point at all.

Just to be clear, are you comparing Jarrett to other college kids or to other college athletes? Mooching off of your friends when you are just a regular joe is OK. If you are on an athletic team, then it isn't OK.

Okay, why? They're still college kids. Something that everyone else seems to forget besides me and Collier.

DJ is a college kid who receieved typical college kid benefits. It happens everywhere. Like at our school.

I agree that many athletes probably move off campus and share rent. Maybe they even let other athletes stay with them without collecting rent. But what makes Jarretts case different, is that he was living in a $3300/month apartment. Even if that is LA, that is not a normal apartment at the Switzerland apartments!!!!:eek:

He wasn't living in the Commons or something like that. I'm sure one of the resident LA Sooners can back me up that sys that isn't an outrageous price for living out there.

The NCAA's rules do not make sense but they are what they are.

Yea, you must've missed where I said the NCAA made a right ruling for once. I'm not defending the NCAA - so don't throw me with that group.

SOONER44EVER
8/12/2006, 05:56 AM
It doesn't matter if his rent was $1 or $10,000. If he got ANY of it free from a non-family member it should be a NCAA violation. If I went and rented a $1500 apartment for AD and let him pay me $500 it would be a violation right? If thats not a violation every coach should go recruit a rich kid and let his father pay rent for the whole team.

Blues1
8/12/2006, 06:15 AM
It doesn't matter if his rent was $1 or $10,000. If he got ANY of it free from a non-family member it should be a NCAA violation. If I went and rented a $1500 apartment for AD and let him pay me $500 it would be a violation right? If thats not a violation every coach should go recruit a rich kid and let his father pay rent for the whole team.

Amen......

R'

David Earl
8/12/2006, 08:16 AM

What's stupid is calling names when you electronically signed an agreement that said you wouldn't do that, or violate other rules. Two-day shoe-whipping for you.

Scott D
8/12/2006, 08:37 AM

your argument is invalid, because your son would have to also be on the football team for it to be anywhere near the situation that was going on at USC.

Scott D
8/12/2006, 08:38 AM

you find me a college student that uses every $ from their scholarship for it's 'intended' purposes :P

SOONER44EVER
8/12/2006, 08:10 PM
:D
your argument is invalid, because your son would have to also be on the football team for it to be anywhere near the situation that was going on at USC.
OK, if my son was on the tem. Is it valid now?:D

Scott D
8/12/2006, 09:25 PM
:D
OK, if my son was on the tem. Is it valid now?:D

more valid than the random student with money scenario :)