PDA

View Full Version : High Speed in the Boonies?

achiro
8/9/2006, 04:06 PM
So I'm seriously considering buying some property outside of town and doubt there will be cable available. Are there any options for high speed connections in the boonies?

Mjcpr
8/9/2006, 04:07 PM
So I'm seriously considering buying some property outside of town and doubt there will be cable available. Are there any options for high speed connections in the boonies?

Who is the phone company? Or is there one?

sooner_born_1960
8/9/2006, 04:07 PM
Outside of which town? Which direction? How far?

achiro
8/9/2006, 04:14 PM
Outside of which town? Which direction? How far?
Outside of Enid, I don't know, I don't know.

I am just looking right now, probably gonna buy and start building in the next year but if I can't get high speed it may be a deal breaker.:texan:

mrowl
8/9/2006, 04:16 PM
there have been good reviews on this company.

YWIA :D

http://www.wildblue.com/

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 04:18 PM
Is Enid itself not the boonies?

BigRedJed
8/9/2006, 04:43 PM
The thread title had me worried for a minute.

Carry on.

BoogercountySooner
8/9/2006, 06:38 PM
there have been good reviews on this company.

YWIA :D

http://www.wildblue.com/

I use Wildblue. It seems OK I haven't upgraded yet to the fastest speed yet. It is very reliable so far.

You might check and see if you have any wireless internet available in your area. If there is it can be faster than cable. I'm way out in the boonies and the wireless in my area is just out of reach.:)

afs
8/9/2006, 06:51 PM
pee-m

OUHOMER
8/9/2006, 08:18 PM
i live less than 3 miles out of Mustang and no I can not get anything, except maybe satelite,, but its cost way too mush for me. I may have to check out this wildblue you speak of.

Boarder
8/9/2006, 08:45 PM
Anyone ever tried one of those wireless laptop cards like Cingular has?

BoogercountySooner
8/9/2006, 08:52 PM
Check this link out!

http://wireless.theispguide.com/

soonerbrat
8/9/2006, 09:03 PM

my parents use sprint wireless. i think it's about $80/month

afs
8/9/2006, 09:18 PM
http://www.cneconnect.com/info/

WhiteRiverSooner
8/10/2006, 12:36 AM
We live in the boonies in North West Arkansas and we have incredible high speed wireless internet. It is better than Cox cable or DSL. We had a friend that works at Cox cable come see our internet set up and it clocked at speeds he did not think possible. It is lightning fast.

It is with a company called Spectrum (spectrumhighspeed.com). These little companies are cropping up all over in areas with no service. In fact, we were told you cannot qualify for the service unless you cannot get DSL or cable.

We had directway and almost got wildblue. The wildblue installation tech came out and said we would not be happy with the wildblue for what we wanted.

There is always a delay with satelite service. It may not be detectable for some things, but it is on certain things like security systems at business computers, remote servers, and real time games. Every key stroke I make to my remote server has a 1 sec. delay on satelite. It is maddening. Not so with the wireless. It is like I am at the office.

Wireless was the way to go. We love it. It is also less expensive than wildblue. It is not adversly affected by weather like satelite either.

It may take some searching, but there should be one available near you. Or should be in the near future. These little wireless companies are popping up all over. They tend to use existing towers to place their transmitters on, so build within about 8 miles of a water tower or other local tower.

Zbird
8/10/2006, 10:13 PM
Anyone ever tried one of those wireless laptop cards like Cingular has?

Have a friend with the Cingular wireless card -- $300 for the card, $80/mo for the service-- not much faster than dial-up.

Sprint is cheaper but not as wide for coverage.

I've hear T-Mobile is reasonable.

Satellite is about $80 / mo.

Zbird
8/10/2006, 10:15 PM
Sprint also announced something call Wi-Max coverage - more range than Wi-Fi

sooner_born_1960
8/10/2006, 11:07 PM
Sprint also announced something call Wi-Max coverage - more range than Wi-Fi
Just take your time, building. Sprint's wifi should be available in a couple years.