PDA

View Full Version : Daddy Bomar speaks

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 03:02 PM
Bomar's dad: Rhett deserves second chance

Jerry Bomar says former Oklahoma QB made a mistake, needs to be punished

02:57 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 9, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Rhett Bomar’s father said the former Oklahoma quarterback made a mistake and needs to be punished for breaking major NCAA rules.

But Jerry Bomar said Rhett deserves a second chance and that the sophomore will pay restitution whether the NCAA requires it or not.

DMN
Jerry Bomar coached his son Rhett at Grand Prairie. “All we want to do is start over fresh from here,” Jerry Bomar told The Morning News. “He didn’t murder anybody, commit a crime or anything like that. But he made a mistake. He didn’t want to hurt Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a great school, it’s got great coaches. But he made a mistake, and he’s got to be punished.

“But this is America, and I think he deserves a second chance.”

Jerry Bomar has not spoken publicly since his son and teammate J.D. Quinn were dismissed from the team last week. An investigation revealed the players accepted money for work they did not perform at a car dealership in Norman, Okla.

Now, Bomar said his son is examining his future options but admits they may be limited. OU officials are completing a report that will be forwarded to the NCAA. It could be months before the NCAA Committee on Infractions determines whether the school or players should be punished.

“He’s going to pay the money back, whether he’s [forced] to or not,” Bomar said. “His parents are not going to give it to him, so he’s going to have to earn it.”

Jerry Bomar would not say what schools he and Rhett are looking at. North Texas and Texas A&M-Commerce have expressed interest. Houston is also reportedly interested.

Bomar also said a major league baseball team has called expressing interest in signing Rhett to a professional contract. Rhett Bomar was a two-sport star at Grand Prairie before choosing to stick with football in college.

“We know he’s out of Division I-A for this year, and we think he could play Division II now,” Jerry Bomar said. “But then there could be penalties on top of that. It’s just all going to depend on what happens with the NCAA.”

Staff Writer Randy Jennings contributed to this report.

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2006, 03:08 PM
I bet he plays baseball, makes some cash and then pulls a Weinke and come back to college football.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 03:08 PM
Wow I agree with Jerry :P

The_Red_Patriot
8/9/2006, 03:11 PM
I bet he plays baseball, makes some cash and then pulls a Weinke and come back to college football.

Bingo

fadada1
8/9/2006, 03:12 PM
shouldn't be hard for the fool to "earn" the money to pay off whoever. i'm sure there's a car dealer in the dallas area that would be happy to hire him.

sooner_born_1960
8/9/2006, 03:13 PM
Once he enrolled at OU, the clock started ticking. He can't spend too much time playing baseball.

humblesooner
8/9/2006, 03:15 PM

Can't do it unless he does it quickly. Once you start playing football, you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. Once Bomar started school at OU, his clock started. He only has 3 years left now. He has to set out this year, so he only has 2 years maximum left to play.

Weinke went the baseball route prior to starting school. Therefore, his clock did not start until he left baseball and enrolled in school.

sooner_born_1960
8/9/2006, 03:17 PM
Can't do it unless he does it quickly. Once you start playing football, you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. Once Bomar started school at OU, his clock started. He only has 3 years left now. He has to set out this year, so he only has 2 years maximum left to play.

Weinke went the baseball route prior to starting school. Therefore, his clock did not start until he left baseball and enrolled in school.
Yeah, what he said.

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 03:19 PM
The Idiot already had his second chance after being a dumbass and continuing to drink beer while underage despite being asked not to by the police.

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2006, 03:19 PM
DOH . . . forgot about that rule.

astro5169
8/9/2006, 03:24 PM
Unless he is hurt and then he can get 6th year....

MiccoMacey
8/9/2006, 03:30 PM
DII is different. They don't abide by the "5 year/4 year" rule.

He has plenty of time for DII schools if interested.

Stoop Dawg
8/9/2006, 03:37 PM
The Idiot already had his second chance after being a dumbass and continuing to drink beer while underage despite being asked not to by the police.

But this is America!

JohnnyMack
8/9/2006, 03:37 PM
Who is this person we're talking about?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2006, 03:39 PM
I just lost respect from the Bomar's...Waaaa, cry, my son messed up...You know, when the rules are drilled into you and you blatantly flaunt the rules, then you lose the right to complain about said punishment.

I see nothing about being contrite or bucking up and working hard to be better...They know the NFL ticket was torn and are trying to tape it back up...

sooneron
8/9/2006, 03:42 PM
I would say that was a good piece of spin by Jerry not trying to show the sense of entitlement that he instilled in Rhett.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 03:46 PM
Do people honestly believe he shouldn't EVAR be allowed to play football ever again? I am just saying, alot of the rants about Bomar make it sound like he should never be allowed to hold down a job ever again let alone quarterback a team on any level?

sooneron
8/9/2006, 03:53 PM
Do people honestly believe he shouldn't EVAR be allowed to play football ever again? I am just saying, alot of the rants about Bomar make it sound like he should never be allowed to hold down a job ever again let alone quarterback a team on any level?
Here's some of my thinking on the subject. When asshats like Rhett and JD break the rules, they are basically hanging entire coaching staffs/teams/ADepts out to dry with the way that the ncaa likes to hammer programs (some).In the situation, they are one of the two parties responsible for what transgresses. MAYBE if the penalty were so severe to the athlete (and booster jock sniffer), that they would not want to throw their lives away, they would think twice about what they are jeopardizing in the first place before they take down an entire ship and just move on. I realize that this would not curtail all crap that goes on, but I bet it would cut it back drastically.

I personally think the OK legislature should look into drafting a law that makes interference with college athletes a felony.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2006, 03:54 PM

Nope, I think he should shut the f up and wait until the NCAA decides what to do if anything, then go forward and work hard for whatever deal he can get. It is obvious schools will give him a second chance, he just needs to be patient and let the process work, because he lost the right to be in the driver's seat at this time.

The Bomars are wanting to claim "no foul" and allow him to move forward. I'm sorry, he picked the wrong school under some scrutiny to break some very important rules.

RacerX
8/9/2006, 03:56 PM
I don't care if some OTHER team gives Bomar a third chance.

Let'em. But it's up to the NCAA to decide what level he does that on.

sammmo
8/9/2006, 04:02 PM
Didn't he sell the rights to his future in football for about $18,000? That should be enough to get him through a semester or 2. Then he could apply for academic scholarships and student loans. Surely this all american kid has more going for him than football. Does his dad really expect that many people to have much sympathy or forgiveness for selfish meatheads?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 04:07 PM
Rhett Bomar’s father said the former Oklahoma quarterback made a mistake and needs to be punished for breaking major NCAA rules.

But Jerry Bomar said Rhett deserves a second chance and that the sophomore will pay restitution whether the NCAA requires it or not

What part of that is claiming no foul?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 04:08 PM
He didn’t murder anybody, commit a crime or anything like that. But he made a mistake. He didn’t want to hurt Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a great school, it’s got great coaches. But he made a mistake, and he’s got to be punished.

That about sums this whole situation to me really

sooneron
8/9/2006, 04:11 PM
Here's a good question, Is Rhett's life really over if football isn't in it?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 04:14 PM
Nope, but to be honest, he will always be football on some level. It's in his blood so to speak with his dad being a HS coach.

soonerlaw
8/9/2006, 04:32 PM
"There's no ill will toward Oklahoma,'' Jerry Bomar said. "We feel terrible because (Rhett) jeopardized their hopes for this season. And we don't want the university to go on probation, because they're on the up-and-up. They're above-board."

-OU's on the "up-and-up," and are "above-board" and he has no "ill-will" towards OU... wow, what sincere comments from Mr. Bomar.

"All we want to do is go to another university,'' Jerry Bomar said. "But it ain't just about football. It's about getting a degree. It's about image and reputation. "The kid is about more than throwing touchdown passes. He's a good kid who made a bad mistake. We just want to move on.''

-More sincere comments from a proud father.

Collier11
8/9/2006, 04:36 PM
TWO THINGS:

1st-those of you that are going after his father are completely sad, he could have come out and completely ripped OU for kicking his son off the team when they didnt have to( see troy smith at Ohio state), he could have said that rhett doesnt need OU or any number of things, but what he did was go out and say what needed to be said, that his son screwed up, deserved the punishment, but he should be allowed a second chance which I firmly believe is true even if it is at a D2 school

2nd-Enough with the "im sure rhett could get a job at one of the car dealerships" jokes, they ARE NOT funny...im not even defending Bomar, but if you are going to make fun of the guy be original for F*ck sake!!!!

FaninAma
8/9/2006, 04:40 PM

Very mature.

The kid made a mistake. I think his father is handling the situation about as well as he can. This has to be a major disappointment and blow to Bomar and his father considering the lifetime of work and preparation they both have put into getting the opportunity to play D-1 football.

I hope the kid gets a second chance and does well.

I hate hypocrites and the NCAA is nothing if not the biggest collection of hypocrites this side of a Sunday Baptist service.

Collier11
8/9/2006, 04:42 PM
I hate hypocrites and the NCAA is nothing if not the biggest collection of hypocrites this side of a Sunday Baptist service.

WHOAAA!!! Someone is coming out swinging ;)

cowboys70
8/9/2006, 04:43 PM
but if you are going to make fun of the guy be original for F*ck sake!!!!

He could get a job selling beer at Hornets games. :D

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 04:43 PM
1st-those of you that are going after his father are completely sad, he could have come out and completely ripped OU for kicking his son off the team

Like he did about his son not getting enough practice time last year? :rolleyes:

when they didnt have to

Oh, please. He's off the team for being a dumbass more than any NCAA violations. You can't fix stupid.

Maybe his father's statements are sincere, but that doesn't absolve him of any blame. Perhaps if he'd taught The Idiot some humility or basic common sense (like listening to police officers who are trying to give you a break) this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

Collier11
8/9/2006, 04:44 PM
He could get a job selling beer at Hornets games. :D

See, thats what im talking about

Collier11
8/9/2006, 04:46 PM
Like he did about his son not getting enough practice time last year? :rolleyes:

Oh, please. He's off the team for being a dumbass more than any NCAA violations. You can't fix stupid.

Maybe his father's statements are sincere, but that doesn't absolve him of any blame. Perhaps if he'd taught The Idiot some humility or basic common sense (like listening to police officers who are trying to give you a break) this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

I dont think you are exactly in the position to be judging how his father raised him, for all we know he raised him to a great ability and rhett just messed up. You guys keep looking past the fact that he made a frickin mistake!! And no, Ou didnt have to kick him off, they could have very easily suspended him for 2 or 3 games and made him pay restitution like Ohio state did

Collier11
8/9/2006, 04:49 PM
Perhaps if he'd taught The Idiot some humility or basic common sense (like listening to police officers who are trying to give you a break) this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

So based on this statement then im guessing that youve NEVER done anything selfish, stupid, arrogant, mis-guided, or just plain wrong huh??? Keep slinging those stones, believe it or not, OU football fans are not the biggest loser here

1stTimeCaller
8/9/2006, 04:50 PM
I think I figured out Rhett's problem or at least the root of them. Why does his dad keep saying 'we'? He didn't get into trouble, his son did. He's not transferring schools, his son is. I get the feeling that Jerry was there to get Rhett out of trouble his entire life so much so that Rhett had no idea how to not make big mistakes because he never had to pay for any of the small ones.

We. Give me a break.

Other than that, his dad sounded fine.

1stTimeCaller
8/9/2006, 04:51 PM
And no, Ou didnt have to kick him off, they could have very easily suspended him for 2 or 3 games and made him pay restitution like Ohio state did

You are correct. That should tell you that Bob had had enough of Rhett and wanted him gone.

I was a Rhett defender for the MIPs. I was wrong.

FaninAma
8/9/2006, 04:52 PM
My experience has been that the more judgemental a person tends to be the more hypocritical they tend to be. But hey, that's just been my experience.

Collier11
8/9/2006, 04:52 PM
I completely agree with that 1sttime, sometimes you just have to cut those threads and let your kid do it on his own...I think Bomars biggest problem was not that he is an idiot or didnt care about his team or coaches, I just think that he was so used to people catering to him and getting him out of trouble that he never thought that he could actually get busted like he did

1stTimeCaller
8/9/2006, 04:53 PM
then again, I'm 3/4 retarded.

Collier11
8/9/2006, 04:53 PM
You are correct. That should tell you that Bob had had enough of Rhett and wanted him gone.

I was a Rhett defender for the MIPs. I was wrong.

Thats why I am shocked that the national media is all over coach stoops, he did the right thing above and beyond what he was required to do

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 04:59 PM
I dont think you are exactly in the position to be judging how his father raised him, for all we know he raised him to a great ability and rhett just messed up. You guys keep looking past the fact that he made a frickin mistake!!

At least two mistakes, and that's just the stuff we know about.

Wahhhhhhhh! I can't follow the rules like 99% of other NCAA athletes do. I made a mistake because I'm just a poor wittle twenty-something whose brain isn't fully matured yet. Waaaaaaah!

Collier11
8/9/2006, 05:00 PM
youre a bonafide idiot, how old are you anyways

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/9/2006, 05:01 PM
Wasn't his dad the one who gave media interviews last season prior to the coaches selecting his son? Wanker.

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 05:03 PM
So based on this statement then im guessing that youve NEVER done anything selfish, stupid, arrogant, mis-guided, or just plain wrong huh???

As a matter of fact, no I haven't.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/9/2006, 05:03 PM
Oh yes, here it is http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51098&highlight=bomar%27s+dad

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 05:06 PM

:pop:

internet name calling.

It's the bessssst.

http://videodetective.com/photos/879/036956_11.jpg

caphorns
8/9/2006, 05:07 PM
I agree that you can't fix stupid, but I'd rather see him play it out. His dad's comments seem fair to me.

fadada1
8/9/2006, 05:08 PM
2nd-Enough with the "im sure rhett could get a job at one of the car dealerships" jokes, they ARE NOT funny...im not even defending Bomar, but if you are going to make fun of the guy be original for F*ck sake!!!!
lighten up, francis. the kid ****ed up and he knew what he was doing. yeah, it's just college football, but a lot of people look up to athletes - and this one just screwed up. he IS NOT above the law/rules that govern his decision to play division 1 football.

kudos to his dad for saying he made a mistake.

i say slam him. make jokes about it. we are, after all, just a bunch of hillbillies.

Octavian
8/9/2006, 05:09 PM
Given Jerry's relationship w/ the coaching staff, I figured his comments would be a lot worse.

He handled himself in this situation w/ as much dignity as can be expected from someone....which is more than his son did.

As for "their" future, I hope I'm wrong and that this doesn't ruin the guy's life...

I know he loves football but any sort've baseball contract has to look appealing since he's gonna be playing for a directional DII school.

In any event, see ya (both).

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 05:10 PM

Older than you, I'm guessing.

Guess what? Not all of us were a bunch of beer-swilling jackasses in college, so the whole "he's just a kid who made a mistake" crap doesn't work on me. Josh Heupel, Nate Hybl, and Jason White all seemed to somehow manage not to take $18,000 from Big Red Sports and Imports, so I don't think it's too much to ask out of a player.

Collier11
8/9/2006, 05:11 PM
lighten up, francis. the kid ****ed up and he knew what he was doing. yeah, it's just college football, but a lot of people look up to athletes - and this one just screwed up. he IS NOT above the law/rules that govern his decision to play division 1 football.

kudos to his dad for saying he made a mistake.

i say slam him. make jokes about it. we are, after all, just a bunch of hillbillies.

Hey, I never said dont make fun of the guy...I just said be original, I just tired of hearing all of the same tired jokes. Come on guys, we are Sooners, we can do better than that :D

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 05:12 PM

Guess what? Not all of us were a bunch of beer-swilling jackasses in college, so the whole "he's just a kid who made a mistake" crap doesn't work on me. Josh Heupel, Nate Hybl, and Jason White all seemed to somehow manage not to take $18,000 from Big Red Sports and Imports, so I don't think it's too much to ask out of a player.

http://static.flickr.com/46/131327718_577736f63f_o.gif

Collier11
8/9/2006, 05:13 PM

Guess what? Not all of us were a bunch of beer-swilling jackasses in college, so the whole "he's just a kid who made a mistake" crap doesn't work on me. Josh Heupel, Nate Hybl, and Jason White all seemed to somehow manage not to not take $18,000 from Big Red Sports and Imports, so I don't think it's too much to ask out of a player.

You truly are naive arent you, if you only knew some stories that I know. The fact of the matter is that Bomar got caught and others havent! Also, just cus you didnt drink when you were in college doesnt mean you are above the basic humanity of screwing up from time to time, you stating that you have never screwed up or done something selfish in itself is a sad sad statement

Octavian
8/9/2006, 05:15 PM
yeah, it's just college football, but a lot of people look up to athletes - and this one just screwed up.

it's not just about letting down people who "look up to athletes" (though that sucks too), the guy basically cheated on a coach and a program who handed him the world on a platter.

There's a lot of people who put the futures of their lives and careers largely into the future of Rhett Bomar...and he screwed over all of them.

A wife blames the husband when he cheats w/ a hooker.

And that's basically what Rhett did. He whored himself out and cheated on the program.

It's tough for a dad as proud as Jerry to come out and have to say what he said...he knows his boy blew it and he's trying to help his son as much as he can...I'd do the same thing.

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 05:18 PM
You truly are naive arent you, if you only knew some stories that I know. The fact of the matter is that Bomar got caught and others havent!

If you don't want to get caught, don't do it. Is that really a hard concept to understand? Are you saying that every college QB has done this

Also, just cus you didnt drink when you were in college doesnt mean you are above the basic humanity of screwing up from time to time, you stating that you have never screwed up or done something selfish in itself is a sad sad statement

Prove that I have.

(That was a just sarcasm, BTW.)

fadada1
8/9/2006, 05:18 PM
it's not just about letting down people who "look up to athletes" (though that sucks too), the guy basically cheated on a coach and a program who handed him the world on a platter.

There's a lot of people who put the futures of their lives and careers largely into the future of Rhett Bomar...and he screwed over all of them.

A wife blames the husband when he cheats w/ a hooker.

And that's basically what Rhett did. He whored himself out and cheated on the program.

It's tough for a dad as proud as Jerry to come out and have to say what he said...he knows his boy blew it and he's trying to help his son as much as he can...I'd do the same thing.
exactly. i just didn't want to type that much.

Octavian
8/9/2006, 05:20 PM
exactly. i just didn't want to type that much.

dont blame ya ;)

Collier11
If you don't want to get caught, don't do it. Is that really a hard concept to understand? Are you saying that every college QB has done this

Im not saying that, what I am saying is that one of your 3 golden boys that you named earlier used to partake in illegal actions quite frequently, somewhere along the same range as Jabhari Brown, but he never got caught. So I dont think it is completely fair to say just because he got caught that he is a bad person. People make mistakes and its not our place to judge them

mdklatt
n/m

Widescreen
Don't flatter yourself.

;) :D

sooneron
8/9/2006, 05:23 PM
Who does Rhett write the check to? BRSI is under new ownership. Brad M>?

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 05:28 PM
Im not saying that, what I am saying is that one of your 3 golden boys that you named earlier used to partake in illegal actions quite frequently, somewhere along the same range as Jabhari Brown, but he never got caught. So I dont think it is completely fair to say just because he got caught that he is a bad person. People make mistakes and its not our place to judge them

I'm not saying Bomar is a bad person, I'm saying he's a dumbass. Everybody makes mistakes, dumbasses are just better at it. I was saying he was a dumbass when he was asked to stop drinking beer at the Hornets game by the police and continued to do so. I don't know if that's supreme arrogance or basic stupidity, but neither quality is good in a QB. It's not just the MIP, or just the NCAA violations, but put them together and you have a pattern of behavior. And that behavior is being a dumbass. You know why whichever "golden boy" you're talking about didn't get caught? He wasn't a dumbass.

I don't wish any ill will on Bomar, but I don't want him being a dumbass on Owen Field.

Collier11
8/9/2006, 05:29 PM
OK, that I can deal with alot better...I just dont like people pushing blame when we are all guilty at some point and time in our lives

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 05:31 PM
Who does Rhett write the check to? BRSI is under new ownership. Brad M>?

He should make it to a charity or scholarship fund or something. Screw Brad McRae.

Texas Golfer
8/9/2006, 05:35 PM
I just lost respect from the Bomar's...Waaaa, cry, my son messed up...You know, when the rules are drilled into you and you blatantly flaunt the rules, then you lose the right to complain about said punishment.

I see nothing about being contrite or bucking up and working hard to be better...They know the NFL ticket was torn and are trying to tape it back up...

While I agree that they knew the rules and violated them, you have to realize that we're talking about teens and young adults here. When someone flashes a wad of cash and says nobody will ever know, they succumb to temptation.

Not that I'm condoning what they did, life experiences are made with many mistakes. I raised my kids by acknowledging that they're going to make mistakes along the way. The only thing I asked is that they be creative with their mistakes. Try not to make each of them more than once.

mdklatt
8/9/2006, 05:36 PM
OK, that I can deal with alot better...I just dont like people pushing blame when we are all guilty at some point and time in our lives

We all screw up, but when we do we should just accept the consequences. Which the Bomars seem to be doing, to their credit. I've said all along that I didn't care about the MIP, but rather the lack of judgement that brought it about. Hell, I technically break the law on a daily basis (speeding)--but never in front of a cop.

sooner_born_1960
8/9/2006, 05:40 PM
While I agree that they knew the rules and violated them, you have to realize that we're talking about teens and young adults here. When someone flashes a wad of cash and says nobody will ever know, they succumb to temptation.

Not that I'm condoning what they did, life experiences are made with many mistakes. I raised my kids by acknowledging that they're going to make mistakes along the way. The only thing I asked is that they be creative with their mistakes. Try not to make each of them more than once.
If it were a wad of cash, he'd still by quarterbacking at OU. These idots had to document the transactions on falsified timecards.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/9/2006, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry, I missed what mdklatt said. Could someone repeat it for me?

fadada1
8/9/2006, 05:42 PM
If it were a wad of cash, he'd still by quarterbacking at OU. These idots had to document the transactions on falsified timecards.
thus the term... "DUMB ***".

Stoop Dawg
8/9/2006, 07:57 PM
I just dont like people pushing blame when we are all guilty at some point and time in our lives

Wow, who's the naive one now?

According to your logic, there can be no judges or lawmakers. Of course people can (and always do) judge other people even though they've made mistakes too. If you think people don't judge you for your mistakes, you're living in lala land.

Here in "mature land" we prefer that people own up to their mistakes. Bomar's dad did, and I haven't heard anything from Bomar so I won't comment there. I hope the kid gets to play somewhere else. I also hope he doesn't screw up that gig if/when he gets it. But to say "you can't blame him because you've made mistakes too" is plain stupid.

Collier11
8/9/2006, 08:11 PM
It is none of our responsibilities to judge others first of all, secondly I never said dont blame him for his mistakes, I fully expected him to be punished and believe he deserve the punishment he recieved, now he has been punished let him be and see if he can prosper now...there is a huge difference between judging and blaming...as soon as you get back from "la la land" take some time to realize that!!!!

badger
8/9/2006, 08:26 PM
I would say that was a good piece of spin by Jerry not trying to show the sense of entitlement that he instilled in Rhett.

his mom is nice. she would sit in the family section with all the other parents and cheer loudly like any mom.

sooo.... yeah, he must have gotten it from daddy. the fact that every sports writer had him on speed dial after the story broke should show some of that. what other sports' parents dads on the team talk all the time?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/9/2006, 08:42 PM
. . .they succumb to temptation.

:eddie:

JohnnyMack
8/9/2006, 09:07 PM

Mmm hmm, true dat.

sooneron
8/9/2006, 09:10 PM
Mmm hmm, true dat.
I predict that makes into a few people's sigs before the week is over.

arlington
8/9/2006, 09:20 PM
That was a pretty above board response from Rhetts father.However, what did you guys expect him to say? If he hammers OU publicly he confirms that hes a pain in the *** parent that Rhetts next coach will have to deal with PLUS if he ****es off Stoops and company, they may not release Rhett in a timely manner.

sooneron
8/9/2006, 09:28 PM
That was a pretty above board response from Rhetts father.However, what did you guys expect him to say? If he hammers OU publicly he confirms that hes a pain in the *** parent that Rhetts next coach will have to deal with PLUS if he ****es off Stoops and company, they may not release Rhett in a timely manner.
That was my point. He meant it, but he was thinking of future schools when he said it the way that he did. It only makes sense.

critical_phil
8/9/2006, 09:40 PM
as an aside, i may reach through the internets and choke the next person that calls a 20-21 year old a "kid"...

musikology
8/9/2006, 09:44 PM
Maybe he can be a personal assistant to Cryin' Ryan Leaf

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/9/2006, 09:50 PM
as an aside, i may reach through the internets and choke the next person that calls a 20-21 year old a "kid"...Reminds me of one of the politicians a while back (can't remember which) who fathered a kid while he was in college. He said it was a "youthful indiscretion."

soonerfan_4
8/9/2006, 10:20 PM
BOMAR SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD REDENCE TO BAD RUBBISH!

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 10:38 PM
The kid thing, I think applies to certain people. I have friends that were so sheltered in high school, that when they get to college they are going through the things you should have gone through in high school. I honestly believe that everyone should either have to serve a year in the military at 18 or be forced to do outdoor labor for a year. I get so ****ed when I go into a work place that is well air conditioned and you hear somebody going this job sucks, I get so bored. Bored is better than 115 degree heat while harvesting onions in Calvin Oklahoma all day long!

badger
8/10/2006, 01:08 AM
the person whose father we are speaking of is 21. He turned 21 shortly before the announcement last week.

I was neg-spekked repeatedly for referring to him as "The Idiot," but in retrospect, I could call him a lot of things and everyone would know exactly who I am talking about--- WITHOUT SAYING HIS NAME!!!

8/10/2006, 06:26 AM
http://www.paintitblack.com/swaggart.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/10/2006, 07:08 AM
the person whose father we are speaking of is 21. He turned 21 shortly before the announcement last week.

I was neg-spekked repeatedly for referring to him as "The Idiot," but in retrospect, I could call him a lot of things and everyone would know exactly who I am talking about--- WITHOUT SAYING HIS NAME!!!That's insane! Bomar's my new curse word.

"WHat a bomar!"

"Mothabomar!"

soonerjoker
8/10/2006, 08:26 AM
Colley;

you left out the really sad part; his wife Suzi lost her job cause it would be hard for anybody named "bomar" to sell insurance in Oklahoma.

i just cried my eyes out.

he's gonna pay it all back (collier 11 will help), but he doesn't have a job.

can he "pay back" all OU fans ???

Stoop Dawg
8/10/2006, 09:01 AM
It is none of our responsibilities to judge others first of all

Of couse it is. Furthermore, it happens all day every day. It's a fact of life. You're being judged, I'm being judged, everyone is being judged. All day. Every day.

secondly I never said dont blame him for his mistakes

If you read what I quoted, that's pretty much exactly what you said.

To be clear - I've got no problem with the Bomar's. They seem to be taking this in stride and handling it well.

Blues1
8/10/2006, 09:02 AM
When you LET Down your School - Your Coaches - Your Fellow team mates - A couple million fans - and put us in a place where we might be facing years of ncaa hassles -- "I'm Sorry" ---- Doesn't Cut it......JMHO

8/10/2006, 09:12 AM
Seems to me we need a ***** auto-edit. You know, like smellypickle's.

GoVols817
8/10/2006, 09:19 AM
When you LET Down your School - Your Coaches - Your Fellow team mates - A couple million fans - and put us in a place where we might be facing years of ncaa hassles -- "I'm Sorry" ---- Doesn't Cut it......JMHO

That is a green speck post if I've seen one so far... I agree with you 100%... Bottom line is, Bomar and Quinn knew what they were doing was not only wrong, but could have ramifications against the team and school for years, and didnt care. "im sorry" from Bomar means as much to me as "I didnt do it" from OJ...

soonerjoker
8/10/2006, 09:30 AM
i totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sooneron
8/10/2006, 09:36 AM
If another person says they just "made a mistake" I am going to puke. They did this over a period of time. Everytime they went to deposit a check in the bank, they knew that OU's rep was being jeopardized. This wasn't a one time c note handshake. This was repeatedly premeditated, they kept the entire thing from the Athl. Dept. and the coaching staff.

TexasLidig8r
8/10/2006, 09:40 AM
. "im sorry" from Bomar means as much to me as "I didnt do it" from OJ...

But... OJ didn't do it. ;)

I've read numerous posts on here about Bomar "making a mistake." A mistake is perhaps when a person is presented with two choices, makes an incorrect one or the one with detrimental consequences. The decision is more often than not, made without full awareness of all possible negative ramifications.

In the Bomar case, it wasn't a mistake.. it was a conscious decision to undertake reprehensible, unethical and illegal conduct. The decisions were made with forethought and planning. The decisions were made with conscious disregard of the consequences not only for himself, but his team and his school. It wasn't as if he didn't know what the consequences could be. He simply chose to engage in activity which he obviously knew, or should have known, could result in dire consequences. His daddy says the young man is sorry.... I can't help but believe the only thing he is sorry for is that he got caught.

Were I a D1 football coach, there is no way on this God's green earth I would let him on my program no matter what perceived talent or potential he has. Blatantly wrong decisions made with full knowledge that they are wrong at the time the decision is made is a very strong indicator of a lack of character and leadership... qualities a successful D1 QB should have.

soonerjoker
8/10/2006, 09:48 AM
8r

again, i totally agree. you just said it best.

8/10/2006, 10:15 AM
I have no idea why college coaches do what they do, $$$ be damned.

caphorns
8/10/2006, 10:21 AM
Read the article again and what Jerry's really saying. It's not that he made a bad choice. He did something very wrong. I think they acknowledge that. Now, what's the degree of the crime and what's appropriate punishment? That's the only question here. He IS being punished either way. Public scorn and ridicule probably being the worst of it, but it's not light matter that a kid of that level of talent is losing his best opportunity in the process.

Whether he is of redeemable character is not known at this time. Lets see how this plays out.

As for punishment for the wrong - losing his scholly and status, facing public scorn, paying the money back and losing a year of eligibility - seems all in all fair to me. A lifetime ban is harsh in my opinion since this is a wrong characterized by extremely poor judgment and not so much malice aforethought IMO. He did not do this intending to cause the harm. It was reckless disregard - not atypical of his level of maturity.

Now he does need to come out and apologize himself. Fully and without equivocation. Not just through his Dad. But I don't blame his Dad for taking an advocate's position.

47straight
8/10/2006, 10:21 AM
I think that shows Jerry's not as bad as I thought. I hope it's sincere and he can kick his boy's read end enough to get him on the straight and narrow.

caphorns
8/10/2006, 10:25 AM
By the way, put the shoe on the other foot. Say it turns out that someone on OU's staff knew about this a long time back and said nothing. Would that mean Lifetime Ban for OU football? It's incredibly reckless in this day and age for them to sit back knowing that it is a form of cheating. But I'd still limit the penalty to what I perceive to be the depth of the wrong.

CORNholio
8/10/2006, 10:28 AM
My experience has been that the more judgemental a person tends to be the more hypocritical they tend to be. But hey, that's just been my experience.
Damn right

sooneron
8/10/2006, 10:32 AM
By the way, put the shoe on the other foot. Say it turns out that someone on OU's staff knew about this a long time back and said nothing. Would that mean Lifetime Ban for OU football? It's incredibly reckless in this day and age for them to sit back knowing that it is a form of cheating. But I'd still limit the penalty to what I perceive to be the depth of the wrong.
Shouldn't the punishment also prevent other kids from wanting to do this? Odds are, Rhett's story will end up a pretty good one. He'll get a scholly and if he does well, he'll get picked up in the pros. Other kids will see that it didn't affect much in the long run.

A brief suspension doesn't seem to deter kids. Of course, the death penalty for murder doesn't either.

CORNholio
8/10/2006, 10:33 AM
The whole "eye for an eye" thing. punishment should match the crime.
Don't write someone off for f-ing up. Hell, GWBush did cocain and still became president. You have to overcome your youth and learn from it.

badger
8/10/2006, 10:48 AM
i hope mo clarett's situation wakes up arrogant college athletes as to what happens when someone makes repeated mistakes. Jerry's son is headed down that road (step one: violate NCAA rules, step two: kicked off the team).

GDC
8/10/2006, 10:50 AM
Our whorn "friends" that frequent this board are sure relishing keeping this going and going and going...

badger
8/10/2006, 10:54 AM
Our whorn "friends" that frequent this board are sure relishing keeping this going and going and going...

they are friends--- they just make us angry on occasion.

critical_phil
8/10/2006, 10:56 AM

perhaps.

but not nearly as much as our own "fans".

TexasLidig8r
8/10/2006, 11:00 AM

Of the now 106 posts on this thread...

3 are by Cappy and are fairly non-descript...

2 are by me and are rivalry neutral

1 is by the new fake-UT, Volunteer hillbilly (with all due respect ;) )

and 100 are by OU fans and alums, including the thread starter and the entire first page.

caphorns
8/10/2006, 11:03 AM
Shouldn't the punishment also prevent other kids from wanting to do this? Odds are, Rhett's story will end up a pretty good one. He'll get a scholly and if he does well, he'll get picked up in the pros. Other kids will see that it didn't affect much in the long run.

A brief suspension doesn't seem to deter kids. Of course, the death penalty for murder doesn't either.

With Bomar will come the stigma. I get the feeling his road will always be tough for him at this point. I don't think anyone consciously wants infamy and knowing it would happen to them, you heighten the awareness for 99.9% of the kids. He won't be a Top 10 pick no matter what happens. He won't be a first rounder. He had that potential and we're talking serious money lost here. If he comes out of it as a late round pick though, it's a great example of how to redeem yourself when you've done something wrong.

For me this is the eye for an eye thing and it comes down to determining where on the scale of possible wrongs (or NCAA violations) you think this particular act fits.

Note that there are SEVERAL examples of kids who committed crimes (wife or girlfriend assaults, sexual assaults, robbery, drugs) that went on to star in the NFL or at other sports. In NCAA terms, there are also examples of entire FOOTBALL PROGRRAMS rife with cheating that are still "getting away with it" by continuing to have a program. The NCAA should not be MORE unfair to the unpaid players than it is to well-paid programs.

And Jeremy Bloom is not a good precedent to look at here in my opinion. Jeremy chose to take sponsor money as a professional athlete of another sport. He then challenged the NCAA rule that prohibits this. Really, it was a test of THAT rule. This is a discipline case. Bloom was not disciplined.

The best analogy for this situation - to me - is Troy Smith. Here we're talking a matter of degree. What Bomar did was WORSE because of the amount of money. His honesty in reporting to the IRS should be noted. But the punishment Bomar has already suffered is FAR WORSE than what Troy Smith faced. That's my take on it.

Now a difficult spin on this that you have to consider: what if the player had been at a lesser school (say SMU) and it was OU trying to reinstate him in a year? Tougher call isn't it? But it's not real world in my opinion as top schools don't take lower school rejects. But it does complicate your view of the punishment.

leavingthezoo
8/10/2006, 11:07 AM
i'm no fan of either bomar. i don't care if jr. plays football again, so long as it isn't at OU. beyond the payout (which was more than enough to burn a bridge alone), it sounds as if he wasn't a good mesh for oklahoma football on any level anyway (attitude, entitlement issues). if he plays elsewhere, good luck to him. i hope he's learned he is responsible for his own actions and will make better choices for himself, and any program he's involved with in the future.

as for papa bear? it's hard to fault him for what he's saying NOW. he hasn't blamed the program (like some of our own self proclaimed "non-judmental" internet gurus have- snicker) while claiming boys will be boys so junior should get a free pass. he's volunteered his son to pay restitution whether anyone else calls for it or not. he acknowledged rhett jeopordized the entire team with his actions, and i have seen NO other fathers of college athletes place that kind of blame on their sons shoulders.

like i said, i'm not a fan of either bomar. but what happens to them from this point on is someone elses concern. they aren't sooners. and i'm ok with that. but if bomar can make right, and do well... more power to him. :D

CatBallOU
8/10/2006, 11:23 AM
As I was reading the "mea culpa" article, my thought was that his dad probably knew that his son was employed at the dealership and things weren't on the up-and-up with Brett and Big Red. He's a coach, he knows the signs of an NCAA violation. He was well aware of his son's financial situation without the help of BRSI. It's easy to say "he's sorry" knowing that, with his kid's ability, toughness, looks, marketability and connections, OU and its fans will be the ones to suffer from his kid's poor judgment. In the long run, Brett will probably benefit financially from all this media attention. He still has to prove himself as a good quarterback, though. Being reckless won't get him there. Hopefully, this expensive lesson for OU teaches him that he must be accountable for his own actions.

GDC
8/10/2006, 01:03 PM
I guarantee you any Sooner with any input like this on whornfans, however innocuous and/or constructive, would be harangued and then perma-baned immediately.

Lid started an entire thread about it, if that's not kicking someone when their down and showing your true colors, I don't know what is. Meanwhile, caphorns continues to make book-length posts on the topic. It is ****ing bull**** that they are allowed to get away with that on here.

badger
8/10/2006, 01:16 PM
i have seen NO other fathers of college athletes place that kind of blame on their sons shoulders.

i assume you've seen at least a FRACTION of what Daddy Jerry has said throughout his son's career. He has always been critical of OU and of his son's performance, also.

ah well. i think it's water under the bridge, now. :pop:

TexasLidig8r
8/10/2006, 01:32 PM
Lid started an entire thread about it, if that's not kicking someone when their down and showing your true colors, I don't know what is. Meanwhile, caphorns continues to make book-length posts on the topic. It is ****ing bull**** that they are allowed to get away with that on here.

Geary, as for the thread I started, that thread simply set forth some questions regarding the Compliance Dept. and the investigation conducted. It did not, and was not, meant to harass or attempt to bring any ill will upon OU and/or its administrators. In fact, both in that thread and privately, I received a number of "good posts" and positive remarks.

Now, you may be one of those fans who wish to put their head in the sand and hope it simply goes away and doesn't want to hear or read about questions or concerns. (Quite frankly, I do not believe the NCAA will conduct an investigation and will accept the university's actions as being sufficient). You may disagree with what I had to say and you may not like it either. However, that is what the handy ignore feature is for.

The fact of the matter is.. if I wanted to "kick someone when they are down..." I would do it in a much more direct, eloquent, sententious manner leaving no doubt whatsoever what is being accomplished.

leavingthezoo
8/10/2006, 01:41 PM
i assume you've seen at least a FRACTION of what Daddy Jerry has said throughout his son's career. He has always been critical of OU and of his son's performance, also.

ah well. i think it's water under the bridge, now. :pop:

well, i did preface that speil by acknowledging what his daddy is saying "NOW". i know he's been critical of OU, and like i've said... i'm no fan of either bomar. however, i still haven't seen any other fathers place the blame on their athlete sons when it is indeed a fair place for the blame to sit.

i guess i could call for his head on a platter though if that'll help it seem i've seen a fraction of what daddy jerry has said. :confused:

caphorns
8/10/2006, 02:01 PM
I guarantee you any Sooner with any input like this on whornfans, however innocuous and/or constructive, would be harangued and then perma-baned immediately.

What a strange vibe? I have not implicated OU in any of my statements and have some understanding for Daddy Bomar and the rest. Honestly, I like the Coogs and want to see him play for them. I think it would be fun to watch and don't think he committed the world's greatest crime. Sorry if that seems like rubbing your nose in it.

And I frequent at least one Longhorn board that has a sooner fan for a moderator. So enough already. Lid and I are not represented by or representitve of hornfans.com.

caphorns
8/10/2006, 02:04 PM
By the way, I wonder who would win the UH beer chugging athletics department contest - Tom Penders, RB or my nephew (lacrosse team)?

sooneron
8/10/2006, 02:27 PM
With Bomar will come the stigma. I get the feeling his road will always be tough for him at this point. I don't think anyone consciously wants infamy and knowing it would happen to them, you heighten the awareness for 99.9% of the kids. He won't be a Top 10 pick no matter what happens. He won't be a first rounder. He had that potential and we're talking serious money lost here. If he comes out of it as a late round pick though, it's a great example of how to redeem yourself when you've done something wrong.

The nfl is full of guys given second chances- Hell that kid from fsu got a shot, all the nfl is about is $

The best analogy for this situation - to me - is Troy Smith. Here we're talking a matter of degree. What Bomar did was WORSE because of the amount of money. His honesty in reporting to the IRS should be noted. But the punishment Bomar has already suffered is FAR WORSE than what Troy Smith faced. That's my take on it.

Now a difficult spin on this that you have to consider: what if the player had been at a lesser school (say SMU) and it was OU trying to reinstate him in a year? Tougher call isn't it? But it's not real world in my opinion as top schools don't take lower school rejects. But it does complicate your view of the punishment.

I disagree about the troy Smith thing. If I were Tressel, I probably would have tossed the kid (that's just me), b/c I'm willing to bet that 500 was the tip of the iceberg. But to play devil's advocate, If the Smith situation was a one time deal, it's not worse, not b/c of the amount, but b/c it was a one time handshake kind of deal. Like what Lid said, this was something that kept going over the course of months. As implied in the Smith thing, Bomars situation wasn't a momentary lapse of judgment.

caphorns
8/10/2006, 02:59 PM
The nfl is full of guys given second chances- Hell that kid from fsu got a shot, all the nfl is about is $

I disagree about the troy Smith thing. If I were Tressel, I probably would have tossed the kid (that's just me), b/c I'm willing to bet that 500 was the tip of the iceberg. But to play devil's advocate, If the Smith situation was a one time deal, it's not worse, not b/c of the amount, but b/c it was a one time handshake kind of deal. Like what Lid said, this was something that kept going over the course of months. As implied in the Smith thing, Bomars situation wasn't a momentary lapse of judgment.

We all know Troy would have taken check 2, 3 and 4 if he hadn't been caught. Bomar sits before the NCAA as a first time offender and should be treated as such even though you could turn each transaction or check into an offense. You have to give him a chance to redeem himself in my opinion. His next offense of any kind though . . . death penalty.

And Jarrett lived in an apartment in CA rent free for what 1.5 years and gets a slap on the wrist.

Given the hypocrisy of the $$$$ in NCAA football today . . . I'm just not OK with death penalties for players on 1st time offenses of NCAA rules (unless we're talking felony conviction type stuff).

ashley
8/10/2006, 03:11 PM
I was, as an old QB coach very aprenhensive about lots of Rett's game but not his ability. I have never been a fan of his dad who I know slightly and have always thought to quite self assured to say the least. But I cannot find and fault with his quotes I found them to be proper and right on the money. He made a terrrible mistake and caused hurt to many. He is though in no way to be compared to Maurice Clarett.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2006, 03:58 PM
As I was reading the "mea culpa" article, my thought was that his dad probably knew that his son was employed at the dealership and things weren't on the up-and-up with Brett and Big Red. He's a coach, he knows the signs of an NCAA violation. He was well aware of his son's financial situation without the help of BRSI. It's easy to say "he's sorry" knowing that, with his kid's ability, toughness, looks, marketability and connections, OU and its fans will be the ones to suffer from his kid's poor judgment. In the long run, Brett will probably benefit financially from all this media attention. He still has to prove himself as a good quarterback, though. Being reckless won't get him there. Hopefully, this expensive lesson for OU teaches him that he must be accountable for his own actions.

So let's see...I have heard that Stoops should monitor the players better and make sure they aren't doing this sort of thing(which by the way is impossible) and now Jerry Bomar should have known more about Rhett's financial status. If Jerry didn't do Bomar's taxes...all signs point to he wouldn't have a clue...oh no this is all Bomar and Quinn's fault plain and simple

caphorns
8/10/2006, 04:15 PM
So let's see...I have heard that Stoops should monitor the players better and make sure they aren't doing this sort of thing(which by the way is impossible) and now Jerry Bomar should have known more about Rhett's financial status. If Jerry didn't do Bomar's taxes...all signs point to he wouldn't have a clue...oh no this is all Bomar and Quinn's fault plain and simple

You forgot the dude with the mullet too - McRae? I mostly blame him.

By the same logic used here, I think you can blame Stanley for something. There was a loose chick working at BRSI who was giving away secrets to an aggy. Shouldn't Stanley have stepped in and asked her if she'd take it in the pooper or something to shut her up. Or are you guys seriously going to act like you weren't monitoring texag at 1 am in the morning that day.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2006, 04:19 PM
We have our own aggies to deal with in Stoolwater, we don't have time to mess with your aggies too! And yes I forgot about McRae...that guy should be thrown on thumbtacks as a lesson to all morons!!