PDA

View Full Version : TCU / Baylor

TD BU
8/9/2006, 12:58 PM
Since you guys played both teams last year, I would appreciate any opinions on this first game match up (who will win and why). Thanks.

David Earl
8/9/2006, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure what TCU has lost to graduation so I don't know how good they'll be.

I know a lot of folks are expecting Baylor to be better this year, I think the Bears will surprise people and be even more improved than some expect. Could the Bears go bowling? :eek: Don't be shocked if they do.

astro5169
8/9/2006, 01:27 PM
I think Baylor gets beat and TCU plays Jenks for the 6A state Championship.

Jenks wins by 3 touchdowns...

Someone on the sports animal said the best team in Oklahoma is Tulsa.....

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:29 PM
i think TCU wins this game, but i wouldn't be too surprised if baylor could pull it off. they showed a lot of resolve against OU last year.
<insert les miles comment here>

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 01:43 PM
Baylor will beat TCU. I'm not one to put a lot of stock into "lsat year team x beat team y thefore team z will win"; however, TCU managed to scrap a win against a very young and inexperianced OU team fresh out of the gate. We took that same much improved OU team to double OT much later in the season.

If we beat TCU then we definitely go bowling; if we don't then it's still possible but far more difficult.

boomersooner82
8/9/2006, 01:45 PM
I'll be down in Waco rooting for the Frogs (conference loyalty is for the weak). Last year's opener hurt my standing as a TCU supporter, but they're still my no. 2.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:46 PM
Baylor will beat TCU. I'm not one to put a lot of stock into "lsat year team x beat team y thefore team z will win"; however, TCU managed to scrap a win against a very young and inexperianced OU team fresh out of the gate. We took that same much improved OU team to double OT much later in the season.

If we beat TCU then we definitely go bowling; if we don't then it's still possible but far more difficult.
you guys will get to a bowl sooner or later. hopefully:D

astro5169
8/9/2006, 01:48 PM
Isnt waco were the coolaid guy was from?

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:49 PM
Isnt waco were the coolaid guy was from?
for starters, it's kool-aid. but no

astro5169
8/9/2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks I new that, I was referring to the Waco standoff...

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks I new that, I was referring to the Waco standoff...
what's that gotta do with kool-aid???

astro5169
8/9/2006, 01:54 PM
Jim Jones and the cult dividian are related in their freakishness. I was simply classifying them together in an attempt to stifen humor. :(

OUstud
8/9/2006, 01:55 PM
Kool-Aid aside, it'll be a close game, and whether a. the crowd at Floyd Casey is green-dominated or balanced will determine the final edge and b. BU has grasped the new "Air Bear" concept.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:56 PM
Jim Jones and the cult dividian are related in their freakishness. I was simply classifying them together in an attempt to stifen humor. :(
that's not a humorous situation

astro5169
8/9/2006, 01:59 PM
Ok. Maybe not. There is nothing funny in talking about the Baylor Bears and winning seasons. Let alone TCU and their new dominance....

Every dog has its day. But we are talking about 2 really bad teams. Baylor still sux. TCU will suck again.

OU was horrible last year and should have still easily handled both of them.:texan:

sooneron
8/9/2006, 02:02 PM
I think i'll pull for the bears.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:03 PM
Ok. Maybe not. There is nothing funny in talking about the Baylor Bears and winning seasons. Let alone TCU and their new dominance....

Every dog has its day. But we are talking about 2 really bad teams. Baylor still sux. TCU will suck again.

OU was horrible last year and should have still easily handled both of them.:texan:
baylor wasn't what i was talking about and you know it

proudsoonergal
8/9/2006, 02:07 PM
Never mind. Brain fart.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:08 PM
Never mind. Brain fart.
don't you just love those??

proudsoonergal
8/9/2006, 02:10 PM
Definitely. Especially in public forums. :)

sooneron
8/9/2006, 02:13 PM
People usually realize that they have NOTHING to say in threads about the aforementioned teams. Lo and behold, they hit quick reply and realize they got nuthin.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2006, 02:14 PM
Answer: TCU and Baylor
Question: What are two private schools in Texas that don't belong in the Big 12.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:18 PM
are you seriously in austin?? that sucks. i'd have brain farts all day long

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:19 PM
Answer: TCU and Baylor
Question: What are two private schools in Texas that don't belong in the Big 12.
but there was that one women's basketball championship, and that tennis championship, maybe track and field here or there:rolleyes:

VolinArizona
8/9/2006, 02:23 PM
I was thinking of betting on TCU -8.5 @ Baylor. Will the Frogs cover?

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:39 PM
I was thinking of betting on TCU -8.5 @ Baylor. Will the Frogs cover?
i would take baylor

caphorns
8/9/2006, 02:45 PM
I'm going with the 2 steps forward, 1 step back theory on Baylor. TCU will beat the snot out of Baylor. Sorry, but it's the first year of a new offensive scheme. I think this is their 1 step back year before things get better next year. I like their swagger though. Where's Les Miles when you need him?

By the way, in Fran's case, I'd say it's 3 steps back and then off the cliff to impending doom. I actually wish it was otherwise.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:49 PM
I'm going with the 2 steps forward, 1 step back theory on Baylor. TCU will beat the snot out of Baylor. Sorry, but it's the first year of a new offensive scheme. I think this is their 1 step back year before things get better next year. I like their swagger though. Where's Les Miles when you need him?

By the way, in Fran's case, I'd say it's 3 steps back and then off the cliff to impending doom. I actually wish it was otherwise.
<les miles>"I love the resolve in this team. I'll take 'em and play any sucker in the country."</les miles>

proudsoonergal
8/9/2006, 02:52 PM
are you seriously in austin?? that sucks. i'd have brain farts all day long

Well, theoretically I live in Austin, although I haven't been spending much time there lately. Of course, I got back to the office last Friday, and spent most of the day explaining what happened with the Idiot.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 02:52 PM
I'm putting together a bit of a package for anyone who wants a better idea of where Baylor is at and how that may translate into success.

Here's a good overview of our coaching staff:
http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/mercer/15203975.htm

And following will be a post from ESPN's preview of Baylor. It's kind of long but a good read. I had to go back and search like 11 pages of old bf.com threads to find it. :D

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 02:53 PM
COACH AND PROGRAM

Guy Morriss took over perhaps the toughest job in college football when he signed on as Baylor's head coach in 2003.

As long as there had been a Big 12, the Bears had resided in the cellar. In the conference's first 10 seasons, they have won a mere eight league games and lost 72. Baylor has never beaten five of the 12 teams in Big 12 competition, and has beaten only one -- Kansas -- more than once in conference play.

From that perspective, the Bears' 5-6 season in 2005, one victory away from bowl bid, can be viewed as a triumph for a downtrodden program that no longer seems quite so trodden down.

Inside the Big 12 South
Big 12Take an Inside look at the Big 12 South with Blue Ribbon's 2006 team reports:
Baylor Bears
Oklahoma Sooners
Oklahoma State Cowboys
Texas Longhorns
Texas A&M Aggies
Texas Tech Red Raiders
Consider that the Bears won two Big 12 games in a season for the first time, and one of those wins was their first ever league road victory, 23-13 at Iowa State. They finished above last place in the Big 12 South for the first time. They also lost two conference games in overtime, both on the road.

That is undoubtedly progress. Of course, there is also undoubtedly a long way still to go.

"We're competitive now," defensive coordinator Bill Bradley said. "We're trying to get to a point where we can get into a bowl game. & A winning season would be a big-time boost. Anything from 6-6 to 7-5 would be a boost. And I know that doesn't sound like our sights are set high. We want to do better, understand that. But for us to continue with the arrow pointing upward, we've got to get to a bowl game.

"It's not going to be easy. It hasn't been easy here. It will never be easy here, because we have years to & we've got to exorcise the demons from years in the past. But we're doing it. Coach Morriss is taking it step-by-step, without setting our sights so far out that it's impossible to reach. We keep it pretty real. And our players have responded. Now we've got to come through with some victories."

To that end, the Bears have taken an offensive leap of faith, hiring ex-Marine Lee Hays from Division II West Texas A&M to install a pass-happy spread attack based on the system that turned Texas Tech into a solid Big 12 competitor.

In Hays' three seasons as West Texas A&M's offensive coordinator, the Buffaloes went from winless to their first 10-victory season since 1950. And while nobody expects that kind of jump at Baylor, Hays, who brought quarterbacks coach Wes Phillips with him, thinks the system is a great equalizer of talent.

"I went up to West Texas and realized we didn't have the same talent everybody else in the conference had," he said. "So I just started driving to Texas Tech every day and watching every one of their practices. Then I started driving down to [Southeastern] Louisiana, where Hal Mumme was. I went back and studied the BYU offense. "Three years later, I'm still learning. I'm kind of what they call the stepchild, because I wasn't in the system."

The "system" was originally adapted by Mumme from the LaVell Edwards' offense at BYU. Mumme used it as head coach at Kentucky, where current Tech coach Mike Leach ran the offense and Morriss coached the offensive line. When Morriss made the decision to bring what has become known as the "air raid" offense to Baylor, he looked for someone familiar with the system, which led him to Hays.

"I just thought we needed a little better production," Morriss said. "We were disastrous in the red zone last year, and that obviously led to fewer points than you would like to put up. Just a handful of points here and there would have got us that sixth win and in a bowl game."

Hays said the Bears will run to set up the pass, and said he will use multiple formations, including a fullback and tight end at times rather than strictly spreading the field with four wide receivers, though he will do that, too.

"If you look at 'air raid' offenses, for lack of a better term, it's not really spread and it's not really run-and-shoot," he said. "Really what it is, is BYU's offense, with more screens."

The key to Baylor's 2006 success is how quickly the offensive players get it. The Bears have tons of experience on that side of the ball with eight starters back from last season, including quarterback Shawn Bell and their two top receivers, as well as two solid running backs. That should help the transition process, as should the fact that Morriss is already versed in the system.

"Typically, when you talk about this system, I use the benchmark of 2-3 years to get up to full speed," Hays said. "That's what coach Leach had said. And that's kind of what it took us at West Texas. The third year is when we won the conference. But I think a lot of that had to do with the coaches' learning curve, because we were learning the offense, too. With coach Morriss already knowing the offense, me going into my fourth year with it and [graduate assistant] Dave Nichol from Texas Tech coaching inside receivers, that's going to shorten the learning curve for us.

"The problem I ran into initially at West Texas was the staff buying into it. When I walked through the door [at Baylor] that was my big concern. But after sitting down with coach Morriss and realizing hey, this guy was involved when they started the whole thing, and seeing his grasp of the system, it worked out kind of perfect. The kids and the coaching staff have really, really, really bought into it, and to be successful with this system, that's what's got to happen. It's a system. It's not a play or two."

So far, Hays said, the players have picked up the system well, but he always thinks there is more work to do. "How our summer goes," he said, "is how our season will go."

For his part, Morriss has faith in the new offense, but he knows he might not be able to count on it for a while.

"Any time you start with a new system, who knows what's going to happen?" he said. "I think especially early, the defense is going to have to carry us."

That's a challenge, because the defense lost seven starters, including all-conference performers Willie Andrews, Maurice Lane and Montez Murphy, and the post-spring two-deep depth chart showed nine redshirt freshmen or sophomores on defense.

On the other hand, the Bears still have some of the top playmakers from the 2005 defense, which forced 29 turnovers.

"We're going to continue to emphasize that," Bradley said. "We're going to emphasize takeaways for sure. But the thing we've really got to get better at is stopping the run. We did a decent job of it last year, but we've got to do a lot better than that. We're going to have to get off the field on third down, something we improved on last year, but we've got to get better. And we have to get better in the two-minute drill, both in the first half and the fourth quarter."

QUARTERBACKS

Hays is putting his new offense in the hands of the most accurate passer in school history. Senior Shawn Bell (6-1, 219) holds the Baylor record with a .599 career completion percentage. He also owns the program's lowest interception percentage (.013) and best touchdown-to-interception ratio (2.71). He is also within range of Baylor career records for attempts, completions and touchdown passes.

Bell isn't the sort of quarterback that makes NFL scouts salivate. He doesn't have a rocket arm and he's not about to beat anyone with his feet -- his career rushing total is minus-75 yards. But he knows his limitations and makes the most of his strengths, which Hays said plays right into the strength of the spread attack.

"He doesn't look like Vince Young. He doesn't run like Vince Young," Hays said. "He's not a guy who, when he drops back and throws it, your jaw drops at his arm strength. But he's a coach's son and probably one of the most dedicated players I've ever seen. We've got to run him out of the office every day. He's very accurate and very, very smart.

"A lot of the things in this offense are based on the quarterback getting us out of a bad play and into a good play. His job is to make me look good. And the key is just throwing it on time and understanding where you want to go with the ball, and that's what he does so well."

Last season, those abilities carried Bell to a school-record 190 completions and the second-best single-season completion percentage by a Baylor passer (.594), along with 12 touchdown passes and six interceptions.

With a more open passing game at his disposal, Bell should improve his numbers, assuming he is quickly able to pick up the nuances of the "air raid" offense. That, Hays said, is a safe assumption.

"I've been amazed by his knowledge of the game," Hays said of Bell, who owns a 3.42 grade-point average as an education major and posted a perfect 4.0 in the fall and spring semesters of 2005. "He wants to get into coaching, so he's a guy who studies and studies and studies defenses. He's a kid that just makes great decisions."

Bell has been tested is his role as the leader of a team that is struggling to shed its traditional image as the Big 12's punching bag, and that experience is a huge asset. Which makes the drop-off to backup Blake Szymanski (6-4, 198), a redshirt freshman, look like the Grand Canyon.

Szymanski was sensational as a senior at Wichita Falls (Texas) Rider, throwing for 4,083 yards and 45 touchdowns, but he has yet to take a college snap, making it imperative that Bell stays healthy all season.

RUNNING BACKS

The Bears return their top five rushers and 98 percent of their rushing yardage from 2005, but running is no longer the primary focus of the Baylor backs. With the switch to the spread, catching the ball is now just as important as the ground game, and versatility is the new buzzword.

"You want a running back who is kind of an all-purpose guy, a runner who can catch the ball out of the backfield," Hays said. "However you do it, just get in space, man." That philosophy means a shift in roles, taking some of the spotlight from last season's starter, bullish senior Paul Mosley, and throwing it squarely onto elusive junior Brandon Whitaker, last year's backup.

Whitaker (5-10, 192) actually touched the ball almost as much as Mosley in 2005, finishing with 101 carries and 30 receptions while Mosley ran 180 times and caught 12 passes -- they combined for 323 touches without a fumble. And Mosley (6-3, 235) will have an extensive role in this year's offense as well.

"They'd be interchangeable," Hays said. "We want to get those two on the field together." Still, there is no question Whitaker is the man whose varied skills make Hays' eyes light up. Hays, who patterned his offense after that of Texas Tech, compared Whitaker favorably to former Red Raiders star Taurean Henderson, who caught more passes than any other running back in NCAA history.

Whitaker will have the lead role, playing most of the snaps when the Bears line up in a one-back formation. They'll try to get him isolated on a defender with short passes to the outside, screens and quick-hitting draws to take advantage of the quickness that allowed him to average 4.8 yards per carry last season.

But Hays said he plans to take advantage of his backfield duo by putting his offense in a split-back set much of the time, with Mosley and Whitaker on the field together. While Mosley, who led the team in rushing each of the past two seasons, will man the fullback spot -- traditionally a blocking role -- he will not be ignored when it comes to carrying the ball. Especially in short-yardage situations.

"Mosley is a guy who's being looked at by the NFL, and he's probably your prototype," Hays said. "So we want to take advantage of him, too. There is some element involved in this offense from the run-and-shoot. One of them is, when you spread them out and you have a big kid like Mosley, he's usually good for a couple of yards."

Behind the two big guns, though, there is little in the way of past production. Between them, reserve halfbacks Mario Price (5-10, 200), a senior, sophomore Jacoby Jones (5-11, 219) and redshirt freshman Cordney Smith (6-0, 225) combined for 18 carries and 91 rushing yards in 2005. Granted, that's a strong 5.1 yards-per-carry average, but it's not much in the way of experience.

Backup fullback senior Damon Dotson (5-9, 211) and junior Keegan Vann (6-0, 242) are mostly special teams players.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 02:54 PM
WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS

If all goes according to plan, these are the stars of the show. Making the "air raid" offense work takes a squadron of receivers buzzing around in the secondary, getting open and causing havoc. Which is why the Bears are concerned about their depth at the position despite returning four of their top five receivers from last season.

"Receivers for us are essentially our running backs, just split out wide," Hays said. "We'd like to get them in space and create mismatches. & I think our receivers are solid. Right now the question is depth."

The top of the group ranks among the top receiving tandems in the Big 12. Senior Dominique Zeigler (6-3, 180) was a second-team all-conference choice in 2005 after leading the Bears for the second consecutive season with 48 catches, 563 yards and five touchdowns. He is fifth on the Baylor career receptions list with 112 and is within sight of the school records in career catches and touchdowns. He has caught at least two passes in each of his last 21 games.

On the opposite side, senior Trent Shelton (6-2, 207) ranks sixth in career receptions (102) and is coming off a 39-catch, 452-yard, one-touchdown season. His 33-game reception streak is the nation's fourth longest and is one game short of Reggie Newhouse's school record. He had two or more catches in 27 of those 33 games.

"Oh, man, he really is very impressive," Hays said of Zeigler, the Bears' most dangerous offensive weapon. "And as far as emerging guys, the one that jumps out is Trent. He's got great vertical speed and he's a guy I think a few NFL teams are looking at."

After that, the receiver corps is more about potential than production, and the prospect that gets Hays excited the most is an incoming freshman. David Gettis (6-4, 198) was among the nation's top recruits when the Bears originally signed him in 2005, but the NCAA Clearinghouse ruled him academically ineligible. Now Gettis has his academics in order and has signed again with the Bears, who are eager to utilize his sensational speed.

As a senior at Dorsey High in Los Angeles, Gettis ran 400 meters in 45.84 seconds, the fastest prep time in the nation, to win a record third consecutive state title. He is also reported to have run 40 yards in 4.35 seconds.

"David can absolutely fly," Morriss said. "He's got great speed and athletic ability. I believe the sky is the limit for him. He's a world-class quarter-miler, but his first love is football."

Gettis is only one of several young Baylor wide-outs hoping to break out this season. Sophomore Mikail Baker (6-0, 191), a home-run hitter who last year averaged 19.8 yards per catch, enters fall practice as Shelton's primary backup at the X position.

Queito Teasley (6-1, 175), an athletic sophomore who competes as a long jumper on the track team, is what Hays called "an all-purpose guy we've got to get on the field."

Sophomore Carl Sims (5-10, 168) is the type of water-bug receiver who can thrive in the spread attack.

Sophomore Trey Payne (5-9, 182) and the rest of the incoming freshmen, including Justin Fenty (5-10, 160) and Garfield Hicks (6-2, 172), also have a chance to make a quick impact.

"We have three or four highly touted receivers coming in that we're expecting to help us," Hays said. "With the kids that we have on campus right now, I think it will be a good mix. We'll have those freshmen just getting enough time to get their feet wet and spell the kids who are going to have to play the majority of the game. We're hoping one of them emerges this year."

The spread's multiple formations sometimes include a tight end -- referred to as "Big Y" or "Big H," depending on the set -- and the most intriguing of them for the Bears is Terrance Parks, a 6-4, 243-pound junior who was moved from quarterback in the spring. "He really emerged at Y and is going to be a threat," Hays said.

He'll battle for time at that position with juniors Mike Miller (6-3, 243) and Jordan Adams (6-4, 248).

OFFENSIVE LINE

While there is a measure of stability at every other position despite the retooled offense, the offensive line is deep in transition, despite the presence of four players who started much of 2005.

In shaking up his staff, Morriss returned to his roots, taking over the offensive line duties. Morriss coached offensive linemen in the "air raid" offense under Hal Mumme at Kentucky from 1997-2000 and understands its nuances. Consequently, Morris has shifted his personnel in order to better fit the new attack.

To begin with, Morris took honorable mention all-conference center Will Blaylock and had him swap positions with right guard Yancy Boatner late in spring drills. The idea is to get the size and power of Boatner (6-4, 327), a senior, in the middle to clear out the nose tackle as more teams put a defender directly over the center, while putting the faster Blaylock (6-2, 308), also a senior, at guard, where he can pull and get to the outside to lead the way on screen passes, a staple of the offense.

"Boatner had actually been a center in junior college," Hays said, "and when we're seeing a bunch of odd fronts and stuff like that, he's able to handle the nose. And we were able to get a more athletic guard who can get out there on the screens and stuff in Will Blaylock. It worked out really well." But that's not the only position change on the line -- nor is it the most radical.

Last season, sophomore Jason Smith (6-5, 287) started eight games as a big, blocking tight end. Now Smith has bulked up even more and moved inside one spot to right tackle, bumping last year's starter, junior Nick Pace (6-3, 289) to a backup role. Last season, Smith caught six passes for 70 yards and a touchdown. "He's just been unbelievable," Hays said of Smith. "I think he's got a big future."

Another switch sent sophomore Dan Gay (6-5, 314) from defensive tackle to the offensive line. He is expected to back up Blaylock at right guard. Former walk-ons Sam Sledge (6-2, 266), a redshirt freshman, and junior Ricky Hasoon (6-2, 280) are the reserves behind Boatner at center.

All the shuffling still leaves the Bears with two major holes to fill up front, thanks to the losses of guard Lequalan McDonald, who started his last 34 games for Baylor, and left tackle Evan Stone. That doesn't mean, though, that there won't be experience on the left side.

At tackle, massive fifth-year senior Travis Farst (6-7, 327) steps in, backed by senior Matt Lott (6-5, 318). Farst, who has four career starts, actually won the left tackle job last season before a right knee injury kept him out of the first three games and slowed him the rest of the year. Junior Chad Smith (6-6, 299), who's expected to start at left guard, has extensive playing experience at Baylor, including four career starts.

Smith's backup is redshirt freshman Thad Boatner (6-7, 281), Yancy's younger brother and a former high school All-American.

KICKERS

Ryan Havens (5-10, 197) was handed the kicking job last season after two years as strictly a kickoff specialist, and he proved ready for the promotion.

The senior kicked 16 field goals -- 10th in school history -- in 23 attempts, and made 22-of-24 extra-point tries. His 70 points rank third on the Bears' single-season list for kickers and are the most by any Baylor player since 1994.

While those career records have something to do with the abysmal state of Baylor's football program in recent years, Havens' performance was plenty strong enough to give Morriss the confidence to rely on his kicker in any situation, though he had some trouble with longer kicks. Havens made a career-long 49-yarder against Iowa State last season, but he was only 3-for-7 from outside of 40 yards.

Not that leg strength is a problem. Indeed, Havens' real strength is kicking off. Last season he recorded touchbacks on 23 of his 50 kickoffs, leaving opponents to start their average drive on their 23-yard-line. In conference games, the average start was from the 21, with 56 percent of the kicks going for touchbacks. Sophomore Caleb Allen (6-0, 175) is Havens' backup, to be used only in case of emergency.

DEFENSIVE LINE

It's going to be hard to replace departed defensive end Montez Murphy, a relentless monster who led the Bears with 9.5 tackles for loss last season. So hard that one man isn't likely to be able to do it. Maybe not even two.

"The guy we're going to miss most and has been hard to replace so far is Montez Murphy," defensive coordinator Bill Bradley said. "We've got to find somebody, and it might not be an individual. We might have to 'wave' people in and out at that spot. We might have to have a couple of guys play at that spot, give them a break and have a fresh guy go in there.

"When I coached in the NFL, one of our sayings was, 'Waves win championships.' You've got to have people to do it. We're going to have to do it." Baylor's "wave" is likely to begin with senior Julian Hill (6-3, 254), followed by junior Geoff Nelson (6-2, 252). Both got playing time last season, but neither showed more than glimpses of the ability to step in for Murphy.

Which is where the rest of the wave comes in. At least, so Bradley hopes.

Someone must emerge from a group of reserves that includes freshman Jameon Hardeman (6-1, 248), redshirt freshman Damien Taylor (6-3, 271), junior Michael Slaughter (6-6, 253) and redshirt freshman Jason Lamb (6-6, 252), who moves to the position from tight end.

"We've got numbers," Bradley said. "But we've got to find another backup at one of those end spots. We've got to find three good backups. Whoever comes to the front is going to get the chance.

"Hardeman had a good spring. Damien Taylor was showing some signs. Michael Slaughter is hot and cold. We have some guys there that hopefully will come through. That's our biggest need right now, to find another backup at end."

On the opposite side, Baylor doesn't need much help for senior Marcus Foreman (6-2, 248), the top returning tackler from last season. He had 7.5 tackles for loss among his 58 stops in 2006 thanks to his always-revving motor, and Bradley said he had a terrific spring. His backup will come from the wave.

Inside, the Bears are far more stable. Senior M.T. Robinson (6-1, 205) was a starter as a freshman, struggled with injuries as a sophomore and made it back into the lineup in 2005. He'll start at nose tackle, and another senior veteran, Klayton Shoals (6-3, 281), is set at the defensive tackle spot.

Robinson has shown some ability to pressure the passer, but for him and Shoals, the top priority is stopping the run, something the Bears did better last season than in the past. They allowed an average of 161.7 rushing yards per game but are still hoping to improve.

Senior Quincy Jenkins (6-1, 286), senior Corey Ford (6-3, 304) and sophomore Vincent Rhodes (6-2, 310) will be available to fill in at both positions. "They're ham-and-eggers," Bradley said. "They give it the best they've got. & We're going to have to have some good production out of backups there."

LINEBACKERS

A year ago, the Bears, needing to replace departed linebackers Michael Tolbert and Justin Crooks, turned to Colin Allred and Jamaal Harper and hoped for the best.

And that's what they got. Allred and Harper were the anchors of the Baylor defense in 2005, tying for second on the team with 73 tackles each.

Now both are gone, leaving Bradley with two vital spots to fill again. Only this time, there's a difference. Before Allred and Harper took over, they had been in the program for years and had seen plenty of action as reserves and on special teams. In 2006 that experience is, for the most part, missing.

"Colin and Jamaal were very productive," Bradley said. "But they waited their turn, they spot-played a lot and got some playing time over the years and did a lot of special teams. They were ready.

"This year, [the young players are] just going to have to get some game experience, and they're going to have to get it fast. They're going to be thrown to the wolves and we're going to have to see how they do."

Junior Nick Moore (6-1, 227) has some experience from his freshman season at Georgia Tech and from playing every game for Baylor last season. But the rest of the linebackers are starting almost from scratch.

Moore, who rang up 23 tackles and forced a fumble last season, will step in at the Mike position, but with inexperience all around him, he might have to take on several roles. "Nick had a real good spring and has become our linebacker leader," Bradley said. "He's not big, but he can run and will hit. I just hope his frame can hold up for the duration. He's going to have to be our swing guy."

That's because the expected starter at Will coming out of the spring was a redshirt freshman, Antonio Jones (6-3, 229), as is the top backup at both spots, Joe Pawelek (6-2, 225). Another key reserve, Ben Hixson (6-2, 216), is a sophomore with a total of six career tackles, and sophomore Marcus Mead (6-2, 220), a 2005 special-teamer who sat out spring practice with an injury, figures to challenge for time on the defense.

All of them will have to play, and quickly.

"They've got as much, if not more, talent than the guys who left, but in the experience factor, the actual playing time, there is a bigger gap," Bradley said. "We just have to see how they come around. Moore is going to be fine, but the others are going to have to come along real fast. The gap's got to narrow fast."

One player who won't be a factor is Paul Tolbert, who was making a strong push for a starting spot but left the program because of family issues, Bradley said. The encouraging part to Bradley is that with so much youth on the field, he won't have to go through this situation again next year.

"Antonio Jones probably has the most athletic ability of all of them," Bradley said. "He's just very new. Joe Pawelek, in my mind, if he continues and stays healthy, he's going to be an All-Big 12 performer.

"We're looking for good things out of these guys. We're going to be good at that spot for awhile."

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 02:54 PM
DEFENSIVE BACKS

Good cornerbacks can be hard to find, which is why the Bears breathe a little easier when they look at their secondary. Both of last season's starting corners are back, with tons of experience behind them.

Baylor is promoting senior C.J. Wilson (6-1, 195) as an All-America candidate after he tied for the Big 12 lead with five interceptions last season and made several publications' all-conference team.

He'll be joined again in the lineup by senior Anthony Arline (6-2, 194), who added three interceptions for a defense that was one of the nation's most improved at forcing turnovers. A year after managing only nine takeaways, the 2005 Bears recorded 29, including 16 interceptions, the most by a Baylor team since 1994. "The secondary is by far our strength," Bradley said.

Indeed, behind Arline and Wilson is a whole string of solid cover guys, including senior James Todd (6-0, 184), junior Josh Bell (6-0, 165), junior Braelon Davis (5-11, 172) and junior Alton Wideman (5-11, 174).

Safety is a different matter. Gone are free safety Maurice Lane, who led the Bears in tackles three consecutive seasons, and rover Willie Andrews, a first-team All-Big 12 choice.

Bradley is confident he has those spots covered, though he will be giving up quite a bit in terms of experience. At free safety, sophomore Dwain Crawford (6-0, 202) has seized the position, and Bradley has high hopes for redshirt freshman Jordan Lake (6-2, 203).

Replacing Anderson won't be so easy. "The guy we're going to miss most in the secondary is Willie Andrews," Bradley said.

Heading into fall practice, sophomore Marlon Price (6-2, 180) is "penciled in" at the position, though Bradley said he is running neck-and-neck with junior Brandon Stiggers (6-0, 188). Walk-on Jake LaMar (6-0, 187), a sophomore, has impressed the coaches enough to earn playing time as well.

But if none of them seize the job, Bradley could take advantage of his depth at cornerback by moving Wilson to safety and promoting one of the backup corners.

PUNTERS

When spring practice ended, this was the strongest position on the team, manned as it was by senior Daniel Sepulveda (6-3, 227), a two-time All-American and the 2004 winner of the Ray Guy Award as the nation's outstanding punter.

Last season, Sepulveda averaged 46.2 yards per punt, second in the Big 12 and third in the nation, with 19 punts of 50 yards or more and 13 that pinned opponents inside their 20-yard line. His career average of 44.85 yards per punt is the best in Baylor history and one of the best in NCAA history.

But that security evaporated on April 27, when Sepulveda underwent surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, which he injured playing pickup basketball. Sepulveda said he intends to be ready to punt in the season opener against TCU on Sept. 2, but that is an iffy proposition at best.

If Sepulveda can't get back in time, the job likely reverts to sophomore Brook Black (6-2, 179), who has not punted in a collegiate game.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Last season, the Bears ranked among the nation's best in kickoff and punt returns, but neither of the men who put up the majority of those numbers are back. Shaun Rochon, in addition to his role as the No. 2 receiver, led the Big 12 in kickoff return average and ran back both a kickoff and a punt for touchdowns. Willie Andrews averaged more than 10 yards per punt return and left with school records for career kick and punt returns.

Replacing them will not be easy, but there is no shortage of candidates. Among them are receivers Mikail Baker, Trent Shelton and Justin Fenty and defensive backs Anthony Arline, Jordan Lake and freshman Roman James (6-1, 180).

With Sepulveda injured, quarterback Shaun Bell is the likely holder for place-kicks until Sepulveda returns. Junior Jonathan Weeks (5-10, 256) is the incumbent long snapper, having handled the duties the last two seasons, backed by senior Nick Myatt (6-2, 204).

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

Despite the difficulty of adapting to a new system, the offense is the strength of the team, particularly the passing game. While the current roster was not put together with the "air raid" in mind, the pieces certainly seem to fit the scheme extremely well.

Grading the Bears
Unit
Grade
Offense
B-
Special teams
C
Defense
C-
Intangibles
C
If the Bears can score, they will be competitive again, but their schedule does them few favors. They open at home against tough TCU, and in their third game, they face Washington State at the not-so-neutral site of Seattle. Still, having come close last season, there is at last some realistic hope for a bowl bid in Waco, a sign that real progress has been made.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 02:55 PM
So, there you go.
Read it, scan it, don't read it, but I think that's a pretty good review of where our program is right now.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2006, 03:01 PM
Baylor'd be a great rival for Tulsa in C-USA.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 03:13 PM
Baylor'd be a great rival for Tulsa in C-USA.

Yeah, basically what you've said now 10 billion times. Find some new material.

caphorns
8/9/2006, 03:38 PM
Sic em - Can you give us a summary. Does this just say they don't totally suck?

In all seriousness, what I see them saying is that they will be banking on their D because the offense is too new. They'll still be working on implementing the offense early on. I see this as NOT good for Baylor's prospects of beating a team like TCU simply because you don't have the defensive studs to win this type of battle.

Not meant to discourage. I honestly believe the long-run prognosis for Baylor is very positive. And some of these struggles will help to solidify the long-term relationship with Morris. This Baylor team stands a chance of being a very good team in about 2-3 years with some of the recruiting they are doing in the current year.

Personally I think the expectations and rhetoric of the Baylor fans for this year has gotten a little out of whack. I hate to see people disappointed if it turns out to be another typical Baylor year. Because there is definite progress being made.

sooneron
8/9/2006, 03:40 PM
Can someone post their schedule? I'm too lazy.

VolinArizona
8/9/2006, 03:59 PM
v. TCU
v. Northwestern St
v./@ Washington State
v. Army
v. Kansas State
@ Colorado
@ Texas
v. Kansas
v. Texas A&M
@ Texas Tech
@ Oklahoma State
v. Oklahoma

sooneron
8/9/2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks!

v. TCU - probable loss
v. Northwestern St - W
v./@ Washington State - Highly probable loss, but who knows?
v. Army - Eh? Bobby Ross is a fool, I think the odds are good
v. Kansas State - Possible win
@ Colorado - probable loss
@ Texas - L
v. Kansas - L
v. Texas A&M - L, but who knows?
@ Texas Tech - L
@ Oklahoma State - very possible win
v. Oklahoma - L, I think we may be running on all cylinders by this point

caphorns
8/9/2006, 04:50 PM
Good summary Ron. I agree 100% except they could beat Kansas.

fwsooner22
8/9/2006, 04:55 PM
Baylor does not have the D to stop TCU's funky O sets. Look for lots of scoring and a TCU win.

TD BU
8/9/2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the opinions (at least for most of them).

I'm thinking we will do better then you guys predict - but we'll see.

Our coach is a hard *** and he will get us there eventually. He reminds me of Stoops in many ways. He's a leader of men -- not a politician. That's better than what many of our Big 12 brethren can say about their head coach.

caphorns
8/9/2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the opinions (at least for most of them).

I'm thinking we will do better then you guys predict - but we'll see.

Our coach is a hard *** and he will get us there eventually. He reminds me of Stoops in many ways. He's a leader of men -- not a politician. That's better than what many of our Big 12 brethren can say about their head coach.

His record is no better than Mangino's to this point. I'd hardly be ready to elevate him to Bob Stoops status.