PDA

View Full Version : SI ranks the top 5 fight songs

start8
8/9/2006, 10:08 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/sioncampus/vent/2006/08/whos-got-best-fight-song.html

southern sooner
8/9/2006, 10:11 AM
Very nice top 5....

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 10:12 AM
gotta love the trojan comment about Oklahoma not being west of the Mississippi.

oh, and sure, who could leave out that juggernaut of a fight song: On, Wisconsin?

DrZaius
8/9/2006, 10:14 AM
Sweet...

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 10:18 AM
the usc guy is an idiot. dude, it's not even like oklahoma is close to being on the other side of the mississippi. we're very obviously west of it:rolleyes:

Boomer.....
8/9/2006, 10:20 AM
Poor USC ;)

Paperclip
8/9/2006, 10:24 AM
They got #1 correct. "Hail to the Victors" is great.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 11:36 AM
anybody else read that comment about how the world is against usc??? pah-lease!!!

sooneron
8/9/2006, 11:49 AM
Anyone see this link on the page?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/07/04/tisdale.interview/index.html

Landthief 1972
8/9/2006, 11:50 AM
Lotta haters out there for Boomer Sooner. Like "Fight On" is some kind of lyrical masterpiece. "Hey, let's play the same 2 stanzas over and over again until their ears bleed!"

Dum-da-da-da-dum, duh-duh-DUM-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da... rinse, lather, repeat.

Widescreen
8/9/2006, 11:57 AM
Why would Boomer Sooner make this list? Their mascot, by definition, is someone who broke the law. Is it any wonder why they have attracted people like Barry Switzer, Brian Bosworth, Charles Thompson, and now Rhett Bomar. Please take them off the list.

Go POKES!
:rolleyes:

milesl
8/9/2006, 11:58 AM
please copy and paste article (if you can) for us at work that gets sports web sites filtered. thanks in advance

Landthief 1972
8/9/2006, 12:59 PM
Who's Got the Best Fight Song?

Which school has the best fight song? The debate has been raging for years and will continue to rage long after any of us are alive. The truth is that the context in which the song is played is often more important than the song itself. For example, you're sitting in Michigan Stadium watching your beloved Wolverines face Ohio State in a tight game. With a minute remaining and Michigan up by three, the Buckeyes are marching down the field and threatening to score when Leon Hall intercepts a Troy Smith pass and returns it for a touchdown, sealing the victory. At that point, the Michigan fighting band could play Livin' la Vida Loca and, as Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank Redemption, it would sound "so beautiful it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. it would sound like the greatest piece of music you've ever heard."

In other words, the emotions of a moment can cloud your objectivity. That's where we come in. After spending the past week hunkered down in the SIOC listening studio, we’ve poured through hundreds of fight songs and have come out with our Top 5.

1. "The Victors," University of Michigan

2. "Anchors Aweigh," U.S. Naval Academy

3. "Boomer Sooner," University of Oklahoma.

4. "Rocky Top," University of Tennessee

5. "Notre Dame Victory March," Notre Dame

Those are ours. Take a listen and give us your Top 5.

-----------

And then a bevy of stupidity about "Fight On" follows.

caphorns
8/9/2006, 01:01 PM
Poor aggies. This article was ripe for another aggy moral victory.

toast
8/9/2006, 01:04 PM
I heard T.Boone is donating $150 million in order for osu to write a top 5 song.

Landthief 1972
8/9/2006, 01:05 PM
Why would Boomer Sooner make this list? Their mascot, by definition, is someone who broke the law. Is it any wonder why they have attracted people like Barry Switzer, Brian Bosworth, Charles Thompson, and now Rhett Bomar. Please take them off the list.

Go POKES!

He's just mad because he can't get past the first line of the OSU fight song without getting horny.

C'mon, everybody join in and sing!

Mary had a little lamb...

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 01:17 PM
#4? Even I dont think we are top 5 in this area... I love my Rocky Top, but there are better...

#1 Michigan
#2 Notre Dame (hearing this in person brought chills)
#3 LSU (their fans make it even better)
#4 OU
#5 Bama or Auburn

We may be somewhere in the TOP 10, but there are plenty more that strike me...

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:22 PM
you guys are telling me that the "waving song" didn't make it? that's proposterous!!

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:23 PM
#4? Even I dont think we are top 5 in this area... I love my Rocky Top, but there are better...

#1 Michigan
#4 OU
#5 Bama or Auburn

i actually don't mind your fight song. i think you should be in the top 5

The Maestro
8/9/2006, 01:24 PM
So why doesn't Harvard or Yale or whoever's song we "borrowed" get credit for it? Isn't Boomer Sooner a copy? Sure, I love it and crowds know the song even if they aren't OU fans cause they are used to hearing it so much on T.V. or in person, but I'm just sayin'...

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 01:26 PM
Like I said, I love my Rocky Top, but we play it too much, and it doesnt have a powerful intro like the other great ones... I have heard all the others on my list in person, except OU, and they all have stirring intros that gets you fired up before the tune ever starts... So thats the reason I place them above ours... ND gets the nod b/c its so classic and powerful, and OU's is on my list b/c the fight song matches my view of the Sooner persona.. Powerful and boysterous (spelling?), anyway, just my reasoning..

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:26 PM
So why doesn't Harvard or Yale or whoever's song we "borrowed" get credit for it? Isn't Boomer Sooner a copy? Sure, I love it and crowds know the song even if they aren't OU fans cause they are used to hearing it so much on T.V. or in person, but I'm just sayin'...
yale is the one we borrowed it from, but try searching for the original song and it's almost nowhere to be found. we made that song what it is.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:27 PM
Like I said, I love my Rocky Top, but we play it too much, and it doesnt have a powerful intro like the other great ones... I have heard all the others on my list in person, except OU, and they all have stirring intros that gets you fired up before the tune ever starts... So thats the reason I place them above ours... ND gets the nod b/c its so classic and powerful, and OU's is on my list b/c the fight song matches my view of the Sooner persona.. Powerful and boysterous (spelling?), anyway, just my reasoning..
sounds good enough for me

VolinArizona
8/9/2006, 02:34 PM

#1 Michigan
#4 OU
#5 Bama or Auburn

Blasphemy! I'm reporting you to the VN brethren. Rocky Top is top 5, IMO. I like all of the top 5 on that list, to be honest.

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 02:36 PM
Blasphemy! I'm reporting you to the VN brethren. Rocky Top is top 5, IMO. I like all of the top 5 on that list, to be honest.

Report me to whoever bro... Maybe if enough ppl say it, we'll come up with something else... I love Rocky Top, but we play it too much... And im sorry, the Gladiator theme needs to stay there, in Gladiator... Please, play something other than Rocky Top so I can get excited about it when I hear it... We play Rocky Top when we call a time out...

caphorns
8/9/2006, 02:39 PM
This all raises the interesting question - what the hell do the Okie Ags have for a fight song. I swear I've never heard it.

And I would actually vote the Ags fight song pretty high. They don't overplay it (like OU with the boomer sooner) and it's a good jingle. It really doesn't fit their gomer pyle reality though. Maybe they lose points just for sucking as a football team.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:40 PM
This all raises the interesting question - what the hell do the Okie Ags have for a fight song. I swear I've never heard it.

And I would actually vote the Ags fight song pretty high. They don't overplay it (like OU with the boomer sooner) and it's a good jingle. It really doesn't fit their gomer pyle reality though. Maybe they lose points just for sucking as a football team.
they have that "waving song" thingy they do after touchdowns.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/9/2006, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=caphorns]This all raises the interesting question - what the hell do the Okie Ags have for a fight song. I swear I've never heard it.
QUOTE]

Go to France. You'll hear it all the time.

Can I nominate Juicy by Better Than Ezra to be a fight song?

toast
8/9/2006, 03:01 PM
This all raises the interesting question - what the hell do the Okie Ags have for a fight song. I swear I've never heard it...in the second half.

fixed

TheGodfather889
8/9/2006, 03:02 PM
1. Notre Dame Victory March (Notre Dame)
2. Fight On (USC)
3. Boomer Sooner (Oklahoma)
4. Hail to the Victors (Michigan
5. Across the Field (Ohio State)

sooneron
8/9/2006, 03:14 PM
Neuter Damned - Victory March
OU - Boomer Sooner
Meetchicken
Bama
SUC - Fight - although it seems like a snail's pace song, it's old school

garland sooner
8/9/2006, 03:15 PM

We took the first half from "Boola! Boola!" from Yale. The second half, "I'm a Sooner Born..." from the Tarheels "Tarheel born."

Needless to say, we combined the two to be one of the best ever. I love being the Pride because I get to play this all the time. :D

SoonerBacker
8/9/2006, 03:25 PM
Ag State's "official" song is called "Ride 'em Cowboys" and reminds you of a circus march. I don't know the words, but it has to have something to do with "riding the sheep!"

As to the sheep-poke's comment about our mascot being someone who broke the law.....he needs a referesher course in Oklahoma History. This IS called the SOONER STATE for a reason. And if you actually do some research, the Sooners in the first land-run were orignially part of a group called the Boomers, who had been the ones to get the land opened for settlement in the FIRST place. They just felt that they should get first pick of the land available.

As to our university attracting the list he named, I'll take them over the freakin boozer of a basketball coach and the baseball/basketball players who constantly beat each other up and get stoolwater police called on them. He acts like no one at Ag-State ever broke the law!

Sorry 'bout the rant!

Sooner_Havok
8/9/2006, 04:49 PM
Boomer Sooner deserves to be in the top five for the mere fact that you can sing it when you have imbibed too much alcohol to do anything else. You may not be able to stand, but you can always sing along with Boomer Sooner;)

GottaHavePride
8/9/2006, 04:56 PM
We took the first half from "Boola! Boola!" from Yale. The second half, "I'm a Sooner Born..." from the Tarheels "Tarheel born."

Needless to say, we combined the two to be one of the best ever. I love being the Pride because I get to play this all the time. :D

Sadly, OK Oklahoma is about 497 times better than Boomer Sooner - as a conservative estimate. ;)

garland sooner
8/9/2006, 04:59 PM
Sadly, OK Oklahoma is about 497 times better than Boomer Sooner - as a conservative estimate. ;)

agreed

sooneron
8/9/2006, 05:01 PM
As far as the arrangement is concerned, yes. I think the lyrics are a little weak-

Or know the reason why....?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/9/2006, 05:12 PM
I like Fight for OKU as well/

nytehorn
8/9/2006, 07:23 PM
That list looks good to me, as I would have the same five. But as far as chills going up the spine, the fanfares of these two schools get me.
1. USC - Tribute To Troy :eek:
2. FSU - Warchant :eek:

Texas
8/9/2006, 07:34 PM
you guys are missing texas fight

Rogue
8/9/2006, 07:42 PM
[Office Space Guy Voice] I wouldn't say we were "missing" it. [/Office Space Guy Voice]

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 08:10 PM
in the "also ran" category i like CU's fight song. having been to many CU games when OU is not on TV. it's kinda catchy.

goingoneight
8/9/2006, 09:59 PM
I heard T.Boone is donating $150 million in order for osu to write a top 5 song.

So what? He's hiring gangster rappers to produce a "song?" Anyone noticed how a lot of area thugs call themselves "cowboys?" Heh... losers in every way.

sooneron
8/9/2006, 10:04 PM
you guys are missing texas fight
no... no we're not.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 10:44 PM
no... no we're not.
the way texas fight sounds just makes you think bevo's over on the sidelines farting. i mean, seriously, it sounds like they're ripping one

tbl
8/9/2006, 11:42 PM
Dude... USC has the absolute worst fight song in the history of fight songs. It's a droning piece of crap that belongs in a movie, not on a football field. It's the suck, just like them.

I think ND should be up towards the top. That's a great song.

I hate to say it, but saxeT fight is pretty decent. Not the "I've been working on the railroad" one, but where they throw in the "OU sucks" part at the games. Da-da-da, da-da-DA, da-da da-da, da da da daaa... It's a pretty infectious song.... and I hate them even more for that.

Duke o Brewery
8/10/2006, 05:22 AM

#1 Michigan
#4 OU
#5 Bama or Auburn

I have to respectfully disagree GoVols. Slight adjustment on #3:

#1 Michigan
#2 Notre Dame
#3 Rocky Top
#4 Boomer Sooner
#5 Bama

Whenever the Tennessee band plays Rocky Top and gets to the "..you'll always be, home sweet home to me!" even I, a born and bred Sooner get chills. And having been a member of The Pride of Oklahoma marching band for 5 years and having heard Lsu's song in person I have to say that their fight song isn't bad, it's just not good enough to be in any top 5, or top 10. Of course, this is all based on personal taste and cfb tradition.