PDA

View Full Version : New Rule - Play Clock

southern sooner
8/9/2006, 10:01 AM
What do you guys think about the new rules that start this fall? I am most concerned with the game clock starting as soon as the ball is marked after a first down, I have always felt this makes the game so exciting in "end of game situations". Also, starting the clock right when it is kicked rather than once the receiving team touches it is a big change...

Just curious what you guys think

Blues1
8/9/2006, 10:35 AM
Sounds like we will see a lot More "NO HUDDLE Offense" this year -which could be exxciting --- I remember the fast break offense the Sooners used against Maryland in the 54 Orange Bowl - The Sooners came out of the Huddle so fast Maryland was in shock most of the game....Lets Do it again...!!!!

Still R"

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 10:39 AM
I hate the new rules... The head of SEC officials was on a program the other day, and laid out an interesting scenario...

If a team goes up by 2, with 30 seconds left, and neither team has any TOs... On the kickoff, they could line all players up on one side, and kick it high, causing an illegal procedure penalty... If the receiving team accepts the penalty, its a rekick... Now, assume 5 to 6 seconds have run off the clock, leaving 24 seconds on the game clock... When the ball is whistled ready for the kick, the clock will run, and the kicking team can let it run out, ending the game... There would be nothing the receiving team could do about it... Their only way to prevent this is to decline the penalty on the kickoff, probably giving the terrible field position...

I know, its a wierd situation, but it'll happen to someone...

pgagolfpro77
8/9/2006, 10:55 AM
I hate the new rules... The head of SEC officials was on a program the other day, and laid out an interesting scenario...

If a team goes up by 2, with 30 seconds left, and neither team has any TOs... On the kickoff, they could line all players up on one side, and kick it high, causing an illegal procedure penalty... If the receiving team accepts the penalty, its a rekick... Now, assume 5 to 6 seconds have run off the clock, leaving 24 seconds on the game clock... When the ball is whistled ready for the kick, the clock will run, and the kicking team can let it run out, ending the game... There would be nothing the receiving team could do about it... Their only way to prevent this is to decline the penalty on the kickoff, probably giving the terrible field position...

Callahan will do this every chance he gets.

If someone berates him for it, he will exaggerate a throat slash gesture and yell "F*** YOU HILLBILLIES!!!!"

Gotta love that Cornhusker football!!
GO CORNS!! :pop:

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 11:27 AM
Callahan will do this every chance he gets.

If someone berates him for it, he will exaggerate a throat slash gesture and yell "F*** YOU HILLBILLIES!!!!"

Gotta love that Cornhusker football!!
GO CORNS!! :pop:
Callahan= plays to lose by a small margin instead of by a large margin. i think vol just added a whole new page in Callahan's playbook.

Soonervol
8/9/2006, 11:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2544174

If a punt returner catches the ball & run it out of bounds, does the clock not run when the ball is whisteled in play?

The situation I've heard of is kickoffs. But I've not seen an explation on how a team could avoid having the clock start.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 11:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2544174

If a punt returner catches the ball & run it out of bounds, does the clock not run when the ball is whisteled in play?

The situation I've heard of is kickoffs. But I've not seen an explation on how a team could avoid having the clock start.
my head hurts. why do they have to change rules? they were fine the way they were

Scott D
8/9/2006, 11:36 AM
Punts should remain relatively the same give or take about 5 seconds, kickoffs you would be talking about an 8 second difference. Realistically you could, depending on how the game is played be talking about a window anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes a game on average.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 11:37 AM
Punts should remain relatively the same give or take about 5 seconds, kickoffs you would be talking about an 8 second difference. Realistically you could, depending on how the game is played be talking about a window anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes a game on average.
that's retarded. if there's anything we don't need, it's for the games to be shorter

Scott D
8/9/2006, 11:44 AM
that's retarded. if there's anything we don't need, it's for the games to be shorter

most coaches so far have spoken against the rule changes. Spurrier is one of the few that supports it...namely because the Gamecacks are generally still considered underdogs against most of the SEC. I'm sure if he gets them to where he had Florida he won't like it as much as he does now.

boomersooner82
8/9/2006, 01:54 PM
It's great paying more and more for tickets each year and getting less and less football.

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 01:55 PM
Same here... UT season tickets cost me $44 a ticket, plus a couple thousand in donations, and every year I sit through longer commercials and less football...

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:55 PM
It's great paying more and more for tickets each year and getting less and less football.
don't you just love economics?:D

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 02:17 PM

The clock starts when you kick it, not when it's ready to kick it. How could the kicking team let the clock run out?

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 02:27 PM
The clock starts when you kick it, not when it's ready to kick it. How could the kicking team let the clock run out?

B/c Once the receiving team accepts the penalty, when the ball is replaced, the kicking team is considered the offense, and the result of the prior play (the 1st kickoff) was one that would have made the clock start on the ready for play whistle... So when the ball is set on the tee, the offense is subject to the play clock, and the clock must run when the playclock starts... You have to remember that the new rule means that if you run out of bounds, the clock stops, but now starts back up on the ready for play whistle, not on the snap like it used to, or in this case, the kick...

EDIT: To clarify, the clock doesnt start til the kick on the 1st kickoff bc the previous play was a change of possession, and the new rule doesnt apply to changes of possession. But on the 2nd kick, the previous play was one where the new starting of the clock rule does apply...

jwlynn64
8/9/2006, 03:12 PM
The article didn't leave me believing that the clock would start before a kick even if there was a penalty prior to it.

If that was the case, at the end of a game, if you are trying to run out the clock and your QB does a bone headed play and runs out of bounds before getting tackles, you could just take a illegal procedure penalty and start the clock again.

Although I am not a referee, I'm sure that it doesn't work that way.

I would say that the coach was trying to make an extreme example (even if not correct) to make his point that the rule change in not good. Joe Pa's example was better.

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 03:23 PM
It wasnt a coach, it was an SEC official... The QB could take a procedure penalty and run the clock out, it would be no different than taking a knee, except losing more yards... If the defense had TOs, theyd have to call them to stop the clock... The thing about the kick is, you could only do it once, b/c the second procedure penalty would cause a placing of the ball...

Im not a referee either, but I assure you it does work that way... The only situation where the clock wont start until the snap of the ball will be on a change of possession or a time out...

It was an extremem scenario, but like I said, it will happen to someone..