PDA

View Full Version : Honest ?,where do we finish on the season?

stoopified
8/9/2006, 09:35 AM
Before the dismissal of Bonehead,I had us finishing the regular season between 10-2 and 12-0.I thought we had a good chance to win the Big12 and possibly the NC.

Now circumstances have occured that cause me to reconsider.We have no passer who is proven to any degree,which would limit the impact of our talented WRs and TEs.It also will lead to teams stacking the D to stop AD and trying to force the pass. That did not work too well for us last year and frankly I don't see any reason for major optimism that our pass game will be improved, at least not early in the season.

On the plus side I DO feel our D will be better.That could be the key to keeping us in games. Of course as long as we have a healthy AD,we have a chance if we can stay close.My other concern is our punter who is yet to be named and has no consistant leader at this point.IF the punt game can at least be average(see Blke Fergusons career) that would help.

The o-line is a work in progress but somehow we always manage to have at least 5 guys that can play, barring last years rash of injuries we should be pretty decent I think .

It all boils down to can we throw the ball better than we did last year.That is the BIG question that hangs over us like Damocles' sword.The last 5-6 games last year we were preety close to Stoops' passing standards. Without that consistent passing threat Damovles' sword will fall and cut off our best chance to have a great season.I just see us struggling early season to be a threat in the air.

It is because of my feeling that we will be one-dimensional early on that leads me to down-grade my earlier prediction to the current range of a regular season record between 8-4 and 10-2.The games in question in my mind are UO.UT,aTm(road),TT( I want revenge too but IF pass game is lacking......),OSU(this one really pains me but they like aTm are always tough on us when they are at home). Injuries and player development or lack thereof will play a big part as well in the outcome of this season.Overall I see us as having a good chance at being better then last year,the question is,how much better? Just mho ,PLEASE BE GENTLE. BOOMER SOONER baby.

wishbonesooner
8/9/2006, 09:47 AM
Seems to me we don't need a Jason White type passing attack, if we can just move the chains when we have to, we can be OK. The emergence of Germaine Gresham at tight end could be huge for us, IF Wilson utilizes the TE more than Chuckie did.

Aries
8/9/2006, 09:53 AM
I think 9-3 give or take a game is realistic, but if we get past some of the early games and the offense improves like it did the the second half of last season, I'm hopeful we could do better.

It will help a lot if they adapt the offense to ENA's strengths.

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 09:53 AM
I had you @ 10-2... Maybe better... And I dont really think the Bomar thing changes that... OU is good on D, AP is a beast, as long as your Oline steps up and plays average or better, youll be an awful tough team to beat...

crawfish
8/9/2006, 09:55 AM
UNDEFEATED.

That's my story until somebody proves otherwise. :)

sooneron
8/9/2006, 09:56 AM
Somewhere between 7-5 and 10-2. I only say 7-5, if the wheels fall off and the players aren't buying into the plan.

I still think we should beat tt in Norman. We have a better secondary this year (by most accounts). I've said before, all we need out of passing is the 180-210 yard range, that will keep safeties off the LOS. I realistically don't see PT lighting up a team's DB's. He could get 250 or so against MTSU or misery, but it will be tough. We have to keep the D off the field more.
We'll have an idea after the first game of the season. We all thought that we'd have an idea after the UO game 2 weeks ago, but like last year, we won't know till this team sets foot on the field. I expect us to beat UAB, but I want to see how we execute.

soonervegas
8/9/2006, 09:56 AM
I will say between 7-5 and 9-3....with a heavy emphasis on 7-5. If you look through my post history I was already jittery at some of things Stoops said at media day (i.e. our players feel a sense of entitlement, etc.) Couple that with the fact that we have now lost Bomar and are rushing PT into action behind a untested O-line and still young receivers. I am seeing a rough season ahead. Just call me NickZepp II

I hope I am wrong......

southern sooner
8/9/2006, 10:04 AM
worse case 10 - 2 (and it wont be a loss to texass).... still believe we can run the table...

BigUgly
8/9/2006, 10:05 AM
Don't have a clue. I'm focused on the first game against UAB and I trust the team is too. 24 Days, 07 Hours, 54 Minutes, 25 Seconds and counting.

BOOMER!

Sooner47
8/9/2006, 10:13 AM
All you folks predicting 3-5 losses this year, who exactly do we lose all of those games to???

Given the very good, if not great, defense we will have this year and an offense that is at least competent, I do not believe that we will have more than 1 or 2 regular season losses at the most. There is just too much talent on this team to predict 3-5 losses, unless of course we get a lot of people injured.

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 10:22 AM
All you folks predicting 3-5 losses this year, who exactly do we lose all of those games to???

Given the very good, if not great, defense we will have this year and an offense that is at least competent, I do not believe that we will have more than 1 or 2 regular season losses at the most. There is just too much talent on this team to predict 3-5 losses, unless of course we get a lot of people injured.
Where to start. Yes, your defense should be solid, but could be vulnerable up front (mainly due to youth). Your offensive line is a huge question mark, its not even as stable as last years line. If you can't block up front, you aren't going to win. You could very well lose any of the following games:

@Oregon
@A&M
@Mizzou
@OSU
Texas in Dallas
Iowa State (May be thier best team ever)
Texas Tech

Will you lose all of these games? Of course not, but OU will probably lose some of these games, and go anywhere between 7-5 and 10-2! I'm still hopeful OU and NU can finally meet in the Big XII Title Game.

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 10:34 AM
Go figure, another team's fan and he has negative rep too...lol.. nah, you guys arent bashing me just for being a Tennessee fan...lol...

Sooner47
8/9/2006, 10:43 AM
Where to start. Yes, your defense should be solid, but could be vulnerable up front (mainly due to youth). Your offensive line is a huge question mark, its not even as stable as last years line. If you can't block up front, you aren't going to win. You could very well lose any of the following games:

@Oregon
@A&M
@Mizzou
@OSU
Texas in Dallas
Texas Tech

Will you lose all of these games? Of course not, but OU will probably lose some of these games, and go anywhere between 7-5 and 10-2! I'm still hopeful OU and NU can finally meet in the Big XII Title Game.

Tell you what, Husker. I'll bet we lose fewer games than NU. There are really only three games from your list above that pose a huge danger to OU -- @Oregon, @A&m and Texas. Including OSU in that list is just laughable and we get Iowa State and TTech at home. The last time Iowa State brought a "great team" to Norman was 2002 with Seneca Wallace (you probably remember that year because ISU slaughtered NU 36-14). Final score in that "big matchup" was 49-3 OU. And you should know that this year's team will pointing for the TTech game like no game other than Texas.

So if we lose all three of the dangerous games list above, and that is highly doubtful, we still only have three loses.

NU, on the other hand, has to deal with @USC, KU (big loss in 2005), MU (big loss in 2005), Texas, @A&M, @Iowa St(close game at home in 2005) and CU. I see at least 4 loses in from amongst that group of tough games. Fortunately, you do have the likes of Nicholls State, Troy and Louisiana Tech early in the year to soften the blow. Good luck - you'll need more than we do.

sooneron
8/9/2006, 10:49 AM
Saying that osu at stoolwater is laughable isn't paying much attention to the recent history. It's always a trap game and their bowl.

proudsoonergal
8/9/2006, 10:52 AM
Challenge.......extended.....

CU Sooner
8/9/2006, 10:53 AM
Worse case scenario is 10-2, I still believe we can run the table. Most of my optimism lies with KW, if Chuck were still here I would say 8-4. KW did more with less talent at Northwestern and I think PT is better than any of the QB's KW had there. As far as soonervegas's concerns about entitlement, Stoops answered that one loud and clear, you think your entitled? The only thing your entitled to is a kick in the butt and good-bye. Now with the national media jumping off the bandwagon we have the no respect card to play and I think Stoops will. SO with that said, 14-0 and NC #8.

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 10:54 AM
Where to start. Yes, your defense should be solid, but could be vulnerable up front

what?

i'd say record wise 9-3ish is about what i'd think is probable. i'm a little concerned by all the "anti" dissention/faction talks that Stoops has posted in the lockerroom and has "proactively" addressed in the DO.

an early loss would really be a challange to the team, IMHO.

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 11:03 AM
Tell you what, Husker. I'll bet we lose fewer games than NU. There are really only three games from your list above that pose a huge danger to OU -- @Oregon, @A&m and Texas. Including OSU in that list is just laughable and we get Iowa State and TTech at home. The last time Iowa State brought a "great team" to Norman was 2002 with Seneca Wallace (you probably remember that year because ISU slaughtered NU 36-14). Final score in that "big matchup" was 49-3 OU. And you should know that this year's team will pointing for the TTech game like no game other than Texas.

So if we lose all three of the dangerous games list above, and that is highly doubtful, we still only have three loses.

NU, on the other hand, has to deal with @USC, KU (big loss in 2005), MU (big loss in 2005), Texas, @A&M, @Iowa St(close game at home in 2005) and CU. I see at least 4 loses in from amongst that group of tough games. Fortunately, you do have the likes of Nicholls State, Troy and Louisiana Tech early in the year to soften the blow. Good luck - you'll need more than we do.

I can tell your all of 12. OU has escaped Stillwater in recent history, barely. They have also dropped a few up there, so YES, OSU will be a challenge up there. With OU's recent road woes, playing @Mizzou is not going to be easy for OU either, in fact, I would bet that will be a night game. BTW, your not the OU of 4 years ago when Senneca came to town. Iowa State is a team that defensively, probably will not be that great, but offensively, they will present problems, for you, us and probably anyone they play. I will tell you right now, NU isnt losing to KU or Mizzou at home. NU should be a very much improved team, the USC game will tell us much. Oh yea, you still haven't told me how the eight or so offensive lineman you have are going to block for your star RB? Losing Quinn is a bigger blow than losing Bomar IMO.

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 11:05 AM
You better not make any sense Husker, youll get neg rep and possibly banned for calling that guy 12...

JohnnyMack
8/9/2006, 11:06 AM
I can tell your all of 12. OU has escaped Stillwater in recent history, barely. They have also dropped a few up there, so YES, OSU will be a challenge up there. With OU's recent road woes, playing @Mizzou is not going to be easy for OU either, in fact, I would bet that will be a night game. BTW, your not the OU of 4 years ago when Senneca came to town. Iowa State is a team that defensively, probably will not be that great, but offensively, they will present problems, for you, us and probably anyone they play. I will tell you right now, NU isnt losing to KU or Mizzou at home. NU should be a very much improved team, the USC game will tell us much. Oh yea, you still haven't told me how the eight or so offensive lineman you have are going to block for your star RB? Losing Quinn is a bigger blow than losing Bomar IMO.

You still have a fuc*ing moron for a coach who is disgracing your once proud program.

Scoreboard.

Blues1
8/9/2006, 11:07 AM
I Believe this 2006 Season boils down to HOW GOOD our Coaches design our Offense around the Talent we have.....

IMHO With everything that has happenned --- They need to start "Thinking out of the Box" - Looks to me this year we could use some Mike Leach twists and turns.

(Once again IMHO - The Jason White offense is not going to take us to The Big 12 title game this year) - Unless all of a sudden Paul Thompson becomes a Jason White clone....??? -Which no one is counting on.....

Should be a interesting year - With a lot of LUCK - Some Sooner Magic and If our Coaches pull out all the stops - I say 14 and 0 -- No luck -No Sooner Magic - and NO new thinking -- I say 9 and 3....and Back to the Hoilday Bowl.....

Somebody Get Rockin' - The Future is now...!!!

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 11:10 AM

by a "few" at OSU, please explain. we lost there in 02....what are the others to constitute a "few" under Stoops? and by recent "road woes" you mean what exactly in conference?

show me scores and dates. because i think you are barking out yer ***.

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 11:10 AM
You still have a fuc*ing moron for a coach who is disgracing your once proud program.

Scoreboard.
You may very well be right. I am not a huge fan of his, but he is in charge, so what else can be done except hope he wins (from my end). All I know is, he is very well respected in terms of knowing football inside out. This should be his best team to date by far. Win or stay close in Los Angeles and this team could take that and run and go who knows where. Maybe NU will pull an OU 2000, coming out of nowhere to win it all!!:D

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 11:19 AM
by a "few" at OSU, please explain. we lost there in 02....what are the others to constitute a "few" under Stoops? and by recent "road woes" you mean what exactly in conference?

show me scores and dates. because i think you are barking out yer ***.
Sorry, I should have said you've lost a "few" to OSU. All I know is, they play your ***** off up there. As for your road woes, I never mentioned in confrence, did I? You lost to Texas and Tech last year. You lost to UCLA on the road. Thats constitutes as recent, doesn't it? I just don't see how, OU is going to just plug in a new QB (yes, he is new), he's played in one game and mopped up a few others, put in basically, four to five new offensive lineman, and just roll. I just don't see it, so yes, I believe you will struggle on the road this year. Do you feel I am off base?

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 11:23 AM
Go figure, another team's fan and he has negative rep too...lol.. nah, you guys arent bashing me just for being a Tennessee fan...lol...
you know, you try to make yourself look like the victim, but every thread i look at, you're still talking ****. you'd think after awhile you would learn that the world's against you and you're not changing anybody's opinion. if you were smart, you'd just stop and move on.

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 11:27 AM
you know, you try to make yourself look like the victim, but every thread i look at, you're still talking ****. you'd think after awhile you would learn that the world's against you and you're not changing anybody's opinion. if you were smart, you'd just stop and move on.

Nah, I think i like pointing out your hypocracy more... I think i'll continue...

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry, I should have said you've lost a "few" to OSU. All I know is, they play your ***** off up there. As for your road woes, I never mentioned in confrence, did I? You lost to Texas and Tech last year. You lost to UCLA on the road. Thats constitutes as recent, doesn't it? I just don't see how, OU is going to just plug in a new QB (yes, he is new), he's played in one game and mopped up a few others, put in basically, four to five new offensive lineman, and just roll. I just don't see it, so yes, I believe you will struggle on the road this year. Do you feel I am off base?

Texas is technically not a road game, and if you saw the Tech game......i don't make excuses but Tech played in the Cotton Bowl and whipped Cal the year before in the Holiday Bowl and lit up Uncle Bill for 70....so they are a pretty good team. and you guys lost to Kansas and were BLOWN OUT by Missouri and barely scraped by Pitt and KSU at home. talk about "woes".

i don't think you are off-base with yer final comment.....but that's a qualitative difference than years past in which the past has no bearing. we didn't have any problem beating you guys in Lincoln, did we?

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 11:29 AM
Nah, I think i like pointing out your hypocracy more... I think i'll continue...
yep, he's a bright one:rolleyes:

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 11:30 AM

dictionary.com

Augusta_Sooner
8/9/2006, 11:31 AM
OU will not lose 5 games like some people think. Last year, Alabama had a great defense and not much of an offense (even with Prothro) and yet still managed to go undefeated until the last couple weeks of the season. And when Prothro broke his leg, Alabama still won several games because of their great D. Taking Alabama's offensive players from last year and compare them to OU's offense this year; I'll take OU's talent. 'Bama had Croyle but that's it. OU's WRs, RBs, TEs are better; obviously, the big question is the O-line. We saw in the spring game that Coach Patton is an outstanding O-line coach. P. Thompson only needs to be average (180 yds per game) and avoid turnovers for OU to have a chance to win every game. Oregon will be much tougher; Texas' strength is their O-line, but OU's strength is defense. Texas will start a freshman qb as well. aTm - no R. McNeil to bail them out of plays, TT at home, Iowa St...... (PLEASE); oSu on the road will be a war. Point is, defense wins champioships and keeps you in every ballgame. No one will score a ton of points on us, so P. Thompson will not be forced to win games for us, just manage the offense.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 11:33 AM
OU will not lose 5 games like some people think. Last year, Alabama had a great defense and not much of an offense (even with Prothro) and yet still managed to go undefeated until the last couple weeks of the season. And when Prothro broke his leg, Alabama still won several games because of their great D. Taking Alabama's offensive players from last year and compare them to OU's offense this year; I'll take OU's talent. 'Bama had Croyle but that's it. OU's WRs, RBs, TEs are better; obviously, the big question is the O-line. We saw in the spring game that Coach Patton is an outstanding O-line coach. P. Thompson only needs to be average (180 yds per game) and avoid turnovers for OU to have a chance to win every game. Oregon will be much tougher; Texas' strength is their O-line, but OU's strength is defense. Texas will start a freshman qb as well. aTm - no R. McNeil to bail them out of plays, TT at home, Iowa St...... (PLEASE); oSu on the road will be a war. Point is, defense wins champioships and keeps you in every ballgame. No one will score a ton of points on us, so P. Thompson will not be forced to win games for us, just manage the offense.
i hadn't thought about comparing us to last year's alabama team. good work and welcome aboard. i just got a whole new perspective on this season.:D

phxokee
8/9/2006, 11:46 AM
I think 11-1 at worse. We are going to beat Oregon soundly and beat Tx but have a hard time with A&M.

The Maestro
8/9/2006, 11:47 AM
So much focus is on the Oregon and Texas games for good reason. But those November games in College Station and Stillwater have PROVEN to be traps for OU under Stoops.

Average score in 3 Stoops games in College Station--34-32, OU. OU has not held A&M under 30 points yet under Stoops when playing A&M on the road.

Average score in 3 Stoops games in Stillwater--26-27, OSU. Yes. The Pokes have outscored us at home against Stoops, thanks in large part to a 10 point win there in 2002. The last two trips up there saw OSU score 38 and 35.

Stoops is 4-2 at those destinations, but the wins are by 5, 4, 7 and 3.

Finding a way to win in Eugene and pulling off a win over Texas means we are FAR from out of the woods.

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 11:50 AM
we didn't have any problem beating you guys in Lincoln, did we?
I wouldn't classify it as "no problem". It went down to the end and OU came out on top as you probably should have, fair enough?
NU has improved, and with fifteen returning starters, should continue to improve, especially with a senior QB who apparently has grasped the WCO, and more talent in place to run that type of offense.

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't classify it as "no problem". It went down to the end and OU came out on top as you probably should have, fair enough?
NU has improved, and with fifteen returning starters, should continue to improve, especially with a senior QB who apparently has grasped the WCO, and more talent in place to run that type of offense.

well, considering our other road woes, it was comparitively easy.

i don't think it went down to the end. you had the ball and went 3rd and 20. OU's D came up big and made sure it "didn't go down to the end".

and at least you guys played to win this time instead of running clock to avoid embarrassment.

Sooner47
8/9/2006, 12:16 PM

Let's see, when you can't respond in an intelligent manner, call the other person a name or accuse him of being a 12 year old. Now that is exactly what immature adolescents do.

We'll see when the year is over who was right, I guess. I think our chances of finishing with 3 or fewer losses are much better than your's but we'll see.

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 12:18 PM
well, considering our other road woes, it was comparitively easy.

i don't think it went down to the end. you had the ball and went 3rd and 20. OU's D came up big and made sure it "didn't go down to the end".

and at least you guys played to win this time instead of running clock to avoid embarrassment.

Didn't NU's Zack Taylor miss a wide open Nate Swift for what would have been a game tying TD on that last drive, before it got to third and forever? He was behind the OU secondary, wide open, no one near him. Granted, Taylor was under heavy pressure.
As for the theory of playing to win, common man, thats crap. What did you want NU to do in 2004 in Norman. They DIDN'T have anyone who could throw the ball. They tried to throw it all over vs. Tech and suffered the worst loss in School history. Yes I wished they would have done some things differently in that game. Most were saying OU was going to win that game by 50. Offensively, NU's hand was tied in that game. Did you want Callahan to run the option? I suppose if thier ever was a game in which you tried to do damage control, that was it. NU wasn't going to win that game no matter what they tried, and I would like to think you know that. Regardless, OU won 30-3, which is better than the 70-10 fiasco. Wouldn't you have rather lost to USC 30-3 instead of 55-19?

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 12:22 PM
Didn't NU's Zack Taylor miss a wide open Nate Swift for what would have been a game tying TD on that last drive, before it got to third and forever? He was behind the OU secondary, wide open, no one near him. Granted, Taylor was under heavy pressure.
As for the theory of playing to win, common man, thats crap. What did you want NU to do in 2004 in Norman. They DIDN'T have anyone who could throw the ball. They tried to throw it all over vs. Tech and suffered the worst loss in School history. Yes I wished they would have done some things differently in that game. Most were saying OU was going to win that game by 50. Offensively, NU's hand was tied in that game. Did you want Callahan to run the option? I suppose if thier ever was a game in which you tried to do damage control, that was it. NU wasn't going to win that game no matter what they tried, and I would like to think you know that.

Zac Taylor, BTW. how is it "crap" when you spend 9 sentences justifying why Cally made the "right decision"?

JohnnyMack
8/9/2006, 12:26 PM
As for the theory of playing to win, common man, thats crap. What did you want NU to do in 2004 in Norman. They DIDN'T have anyone who could throw the ball. They tried to throw it all over vs. Tech and suffered the worst loss in School history. Yes I wished they would have done some things differently in that game. Most were saying OU was going to win that game by 50. Offensively, NU's hand was tied in that game. Did you want Callahan to run the option? I suppose if thier ever was a game in which you tried to do damage control, that was it. NU wasn't going to win that game no matter what they tried, and I would like to think you know that.

I was at that game (sideline pass! woot!) and you will NEVER convince me that Callahan did anything other than curl up in the fetal position and pray for a quick demise. He acted like a ****ing *****. I lost any respect I had for that bastard seeing what he had turned NU into. Never in my life have I seen a coach just bend his team over and allow them to take it the way Callahan did. He should have been fired in the locker room after the game.

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 12:41 PM
He should have been fired in the locker room after the game.
I wouldn't have minded! That said, he is the coach, and this should be his best team to date, we'll see if he has learned anything. Your still p***** you coulnd't score more. You wanted payback for 69-7 and 73-21 and didn't get it, score wise.

JohnnyMack
8/9/2006, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't have minded! That said, he is the coach, and this should be his best team to date, we'll see if he has learned anything. Your still p***** you coulnd't score more. You wanted payback for 69-7 and 73-21 and didn't get it, score wise.

No, it's that I like Nebraska (used to and will again once Callahan is gone) and seeing them act like that was worse than them just being a bad team.

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 12:46 PM

at least Blake's pitiful teams tried to score the football. that's the point.

no one here is "****ed" we couldn't score more about a game that is 2 years ago. no one here thinks NU beating up on Blake is worthy of "revenge" as you might like to have it.

Octavian
8/9/2006, 12:49 PM
OU has escaped Stillwater in recent history, barely. They have also dropped a few up there

Stoops has lost one game in stillwater.

With OU's recent road woes...

what would that be?

We've lost 2 road games in three years....1 if Lubbock refs aren't blind.

Iowa State is a team that defensively, probably will not be that great, but offensively, they will present problems, for you, us and probably anyone they play. I will tell you right now, NU isnt losing to KU or Mizzou at home.

so OU has a good shot to lose to Iowa St. in Norman but there's NO WAY Nebraska could lose to a Kansas team that hung 40 on them last year and embarrassed Schnellehan?

ok.

the USC game will tell us much.

there's a safe bet....steamrolled.

toast
8/9/2006, 12:50 PM
I see husker fans have their own NickZepp's of the world...

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 12:55 PM
No, it's that I like Nebraska (used to and will again once Callahan is gone) and seeing them act like that was worse than them just being a bad team.
I am not the biggest Callahan fan either, but he is the coach and I did go to school there, so I hope he succeeds, because if he succeeds, that means NU is winning big. This is THE YEAR we get to find out about Callahan once and for all. He has recruited well, and now has his types of players that he wants. I am excited for the season, as I'm sure you all are as well.

Side Note: If we had tried to have thrown more than the few passes we did throw, the score would have been horrible, more horrible than 30-3 already was. It was the worst NU team, easily since 61'. NU absolutely had no shot in that game going in. No one like to see there team beaten silly!!

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 01:05 PM
Stoops has lost one game in stillwater.

what would that be?

We've lost 2 road games in three years....1 if Lubbock refs aren't blind.

so OU has a good shot to lose to Iowa St. in Norman but there's NO WAY Nebraska could lose to a Kansas team that hung 40 on them last year and embarrassed Schnellehan?

ok.

there's a safe bet....steamrolled. Wasn't Texas the Home team last year. Thats three road games last year alone. I never said OU has a good shot to lose to ISU at home, I said ISU may have there best team ever, which just makes them someone to keep an eye on. And no, I do not think KU will present much of a problem this year for NU in Lincoln. They havent won there since forever. We had beaten them 35 years in a row. There is a handful of game OU could, key word COULD lose, and there is a handful of games NU COULD lose. Personally, I would like to see them both meet in Kansas City. Oh, and for the record, I do not think NU will get steamrolled by USC. I think NU leaves there with a win or a close, hard fought loss. If ever USC was ripe for an upset, its now. They have a lot of shoes to fill. Not all of there five star players will just step right in and pick up where Leinart, Bush, White and others left off, there gonna have some growing pains just like everyone else.

sooner518
8/9/2006, 01:10 PM
Wasn't Texas the Home team last year. Thats three road games last year alone.
bahahaha are you serious?

you want to look back at the Big 12 championship against KSU or the last two NC games we played in? We might have been visitors in those games as well. Youre not even trying!!

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 01:12 PM
Texas is really the home team in that game EVERY year, you cant hold that as a road win or loss against OU...

Octavian
8/9/2006, 01:13 PM
Wasn't Texas the Home team last year. Thats three road games last year alone.

neutral fields are neither home or away games, regardless of jersey color.

We've lost 2 away games in 3 years. (again, 1 if we could've avoided officiating ineptitude at sand aggy)

I never said OU has a good shot to lose to ISU at home, I said ISU may have there best team ever, which just makes them someone to keep an eye on. And no, I do not think KU will present much of a problem this year for NU in Lincoln. They havent won there since forever. We had beaten them 35 years in a row. There is a handful of game OU could, key word COULD lose, and there is a handful of games NU COULD lose. Personally, I would like to see them both meet in Kansas City.

agreed.

I do not think NU will get steamrolled by USC. I think NU leaves there with a win or a close, hard fought loss.

Well, I guess it's possible but I just dont see why you'd think that....SC is loaded on both sides of the ball and they'll be in front of a home crowd that hasn't seen them lose in several years.

It won't be Colorado or K-State out there, and they won't gift wrap a win for you like Lloyd did.

Maybe I'm way off the mark here, but I'll take SC by 14 or more

jdsooner
8/9/2006, 01:15 PM
We play two teams that can beat us this year. The schedule is favorable; we win with defense and a solid running game. We will be a smash mouth, power football team. Of course, we will know more after the first two games.
I do believe that Kevin Wilson will give PT a greater chance to succeed and make the most of the skills Thompson brings to the game.

At worst: 10-2;
At best: 12-0

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:18 PM
Texas is really the home team in that game EVERY year, you cant hold that as a road win or loss against OU...
yea, i still don't see how they call it neutral when it's in dallas. if you want neutral, play the game in new mexico:D

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 01:23 PM
I think that is attrocious (spelling?), the experience of playing a rival at home is something noone should be deprived of... Its even better when you travel to their place and win the game... The best experiences are when you are one of 5000 cheering fans in a stadium of 95000 shocked!!!

King Crimson
8/9/2006, 01:24 PM

say it is, we've won 5 0f the last 6..how does that fit in to the "road woes" argument?

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 01:24 PM
I think that is attrocious (spelling?), the experience of playing a rival at home is something noone should be deprived of... Its even better when you travel to their place and win the game... The best experiences are when you are one of 5000 cheering fans in a stadium of 95000 shocked!!!
i think i'm pretty proud to say we own texas when their home(which is every year)

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 01:30 PM
say it is, we've won 5 0f the last 6..how does that fit in to the "road woes" argument?

Lets be clear, im not making any road woes argument for anyone...

I laugh at Texas fans when they spout off how great they are by asking them what happens against OU every stinking year except the last one... Its like their memory doesnt work before last September... Like the Men in Black visited every Texas fan's house and did the flashy thing and they forgot that OU OWNED them for years...

Husker In Oklahoma
8/9/2006, 02:12 PM
Well, I guess it's possible but I just dont see why you'd think that....SC is loaded on both sides of the ball and they'll be in front of a home crowd that hasn't seen them lose in several years.

It won't be Colorado or K-State out there, and they won't gift wrap a win for you like Lloyd did.

Maybe I'm way off the mark here, but I'll take SC by 14 or moreWhy to think that? Well, NU has won three straight, two of which were decent wins. They have back 15 starters (8 offense, 7 defense), have a senior QB, have much much more depth in the O-Line, get back 2 starting linebackers, one who missed all season, the other went down in game 5, are in year three of a huge transition, (which should translate into more continuity), have more depth at wideout, get back one of the best tight ends in the country in Herian, and much more speed in the defensive backfield. Couple that with the fact that NU has 5 capable RB's, Including Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn, and the top Juco RB in Kenny Wilson, whom supposedly is a stud. I would think that would be many reasons for some optimisism!

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:14 PM
Why to think that? Well, NU has won three straight, two of which were decent wins. They have back 15 starters (8 offense, 7 defense), have a senior QB, have much much more depth in the O-Line, get back 2 starting linebackers, one who missed all season, the other went down in game 5, are in year three of a huge transition, (which should translate into more continuity), have more depth at wideout, get back one of the best tight ends in the country in Herian, and much more speed in the defensive backfield. Couple that with the fact that NU has 5 capable RB's, Including Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn, and the top Juco RB in Kenny Wilson, whom supposedly is a stud. I would think that would be many reasons for some optimisism!
but here's the only reason you need for pessimism...it's SC.

GoVols817
8/9/2006, 02:14 PM
but here's the only reason you need for pessimism...it's SC.

Ive got another one for him:

B
I
L
L

C
A
L
L
A
H
A
N

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:41 PM
Ive got another one for him:

B
I
L
L

C
A
L
L
A
H
A
N
hey, is that one of those things where you think of a word for each letter?

Soonerman08
8/9/2006, 02:46 PM

@Oregon
@A&M
@Mizzou
@OSU
Texas in Dallas
Texas Tech

With the rotation of Pendleton, McCoy, Granger I think our Defensive Line will be just fine. We are stacked at D-Line. Defensive Ends are the best in the nation with the rotation of Ah You, Williams, Dotson, Thibodeaux, and Birdine. Linebackers are the 2nd best...if not the best in the nation. Losing Reynolds hurts....but they say Crow is tearing it up, not to forget about Rufus Alexander, Zach Latimer, Demarrio Pleasant, and Curtis Lofton. Our defensive front is definitely a strength. Our secondary is what I am excited about with Smith, Walker, Holmes, and Wolfe as all lockdown cornerbacks. Keenan Clayton, Darrien Williams, and Nic Harris as safeties. They're all going to be dynamite. Our defense should be a total dominate force and will lead us to wins. Glad we're getting back to the Stoops' D's of old! :P

Booner
8/9/2006, 02:50 PM
My concern is that we'll either be a crappy 2-dimensional team on offense or a good 1-dimensional team (running) offense. If Wilson and Sumlin play to ENA's strengths and run a bunch of option and mix in a pass play here and there then the offense can be decent and can keep opponents from keying solely on AD. The defense will be good enough to keep us in any game as long as injuries don't bite.

I think 10-2 is likely with losses @ A&M and possibly against UT because both of those teams will have strong D-lines (against the run) and balanced offenses. Don't know what Oregon has coming back but they could be tough at home.

If Wilson and Sumlin try to run a pass-first offense (like Long seemed to want to last year against TCU), then we might lose more. However, I don't think that will happen. Also, if there is "QB controversy" there might be some big problems. Hopefully, that won't happen this year.

VolinArizona
8/9/2006, 02:50 PM
Here is how I go about predicting a team's season:

Sure fire wins
UAB
Washington
MTSU
Iowa St
Colorado
@Baylor
@Okla State

Likely wins
@Missouri
@Texas A&M

Toss-ups
Texas
@Oregon
Texas Tech

So, I really can't see OU going worse than 9-3, and expect around 11-1 or 10-2.

Snrfn4ever08
8/9/2006, 02:51 PM
Here is how I go about predicting a team's season:

Sure fire wins
UAB
Washington
MTSU
Iowa St
Colorado
@Baylor
@Okla State

Likely wins
@Missouri
@Texas A&M

Toss-ups
Texas
@Oregon
Texas Tech

So, I really can't see OU going worse than 9-3, and expect around 11-1 or 10-2.
i think Okie Lite should be put under likely wins and ttech should be moved to sure-fire wins. we almost always punish teams the year after they've beaten us

VolinArizona
8/9/2006, 02:54 PM
i think Okie Lite should be put under likely wins and ttech should be moved to sure-fire wins. we almost always punish teams the year after they've beaten us

Because you know a ton more than I do about OU, I'll do that. So, with only 2 real toss-ups, it's still completely possible to go 12-0 with that defense and the best back in the country. As all of you know already, PT will be the key, and Quinn's loss could put a frosh on the line, right?

Zing
8/9/2006, 05:08 PM
UNDEFEATED.

That's my story until somebody proves otherwise. :)

Hey, we haven't lost yet, and I don't see another possible loss for at least a month.

KyleUT
8/9/2006, 08:23 PM
I really didn't want to get onto this thread, but the Vol fan made me raise my eyebrows a little...

First,

Look to left of your screen...green, green, green and a Loooooooong way to go to red...but really who gives a crap? I'm sure the Sooners will try to help me on my way on this post, I just hope the anonymous comments get more original this time. "Go away" and "phuck you whorn" get old. Let's see some creativity, boys!

Second,

Please. You ever been to Cotton Bowl the first/second Saturday in October? You ever seen that tunnel? I've talked to old time Texas players who felt like they were walking into the lion's den while walking through that tunnel. Any advantages Texas recieves by the game being in Dallas (can you name them? The OU team hotel is decked in Crimson and Cream, all bars welcome Texas and OU fans, hell even the DMN is not overly friendly to the Horns) are negated by the time the teams arrive at the stadium. Finally, isn't the Dallas OU club the second biggest in the nation only behind the OKC/Norman one? TONS of Okies in that town chasing the Texas money! ;)

Third,

I laugh at Texas fans when they spout off how great they are by asking them what happens against OU every stinking year except the last one... Its like their memory doesnt work before last September... Like the Men in Black visited every Texas fan's house and did the flashy thing and they forgot that OU OWNED them for years...

Just as history doesn't begin in September '05, it also doesn't begin in September '00. 56-39-5, Texas.

And finally Vol fan, SCOREBOARD. (Texas 36 Tenn 13).

Now, to the point of the thread...I see OU anywhere from 9-3 to 14-0, with heavy lean to 9-3 and a Cotton Bowl berth. All you guys worrying about the Aggies, these are not RC Slocum's Aggies. You will not have a problem with them in CS unless your team utterly collaspes on itself. You see the guys A&M is trotting out there this year? Not going to happen.

sooneron
8/9/2006, 08:44 PM
I really didn't want to get onto this thread, but the Vol fan made me raise my eyebrows a little...

First,

Look to left of your screen...green, green, green and a Loooooooong way to go to red...but really who gives a crap? I'm sure the Sooners will try to help me on my way on this post, I just hope the anonymous comments get more original this time. "Go away" and "phuck you whorn" get old. Let's see some creativity, boys!

Second,

Please. You ever been to Cotton Bowl the first/second Saturday in October? You ever seen that tunnel? I've talked to old time Texas players who felt like they were walking into the lion's den while walking through that tunnel. Any advantages Texas recieves by the game being in Dallas (can you name them? The OU team hotel is decked in Crimson and Cream, all bars welcome Texas and OU fans, hell even the DMN is not overly friendly to the Horns) are negated by the time the teams arrive at the stadium. Finally, isn't the Dallas OU club the second biggest in the nation only behind the OKC/Norman one? TONS of Okies in that town chasing the Texas money! ;)

Third,

Just as history doesn't begin in September '05, it also doesn't begin in September '00. 56-39-5, Texas.

And finally Vol fan, SCOREBOARD. (Texas 36 Tenn 13).

Now, to the point of the thread...I see OU anywhere from 9-3 to 14-0, with heavy lean to 9-3 and a Cotton Bowl berth. All you guys worrying about the Aggies, these are not RC Slocum's Aggies. You will not have a problem with them in CS unless your team utterly collaspes on itself. You see the guys A&M is trotting out there this year? Not going to happen.
No wonder he has some green. We'll see whorn, we'll see.

goingoneight
8/9/2006, 09:36 PM
I had you @ 10-2... Maybe better... And I dont really think the Bomar thing changes that... OU is good on D, AP is a beast, as long as your Oline steps up and plays average or better, youll be an awful tough team to beat...

Allen Patrick is a beast? I can only imagine what AD can do!!! :eek:

sendbaht
8/9/2006, 09:40 PM
"UNDEFEATED.

That's my story until somebody proves otherwise."
I 2nd this...
PT will be fantasic!!!!!!!! You will see.

musikology
8/9/2006, 09:41 PM
9-3, not in the BCS, but will finish in the polls somewhere between 10-15. But I sure hope I get to eat my words.