PDA

View Full Version : Sooners In On Atlanta QB

Mjcpr
8/9/2006, 08:25 AM
Info from OUInsider....

Atlanta, Ga. Cameron Newton talks about his game and interest in Oklahoma. Newton, a 6-foot-5 235-pounder, is expected to be listed among the top 10 quarterbacks in the country when Scout.com's newest rankings are released.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/232719.jpg

Scout Profile (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=1896851)

4everasooner
8/9/2006, 12:38 PM
Looks good from here. Nice size. Strong chin. ect....

jccouger
8/10/2006, 01:20 AM
Can you post the article they have for him for OU?

Mjcpr
8/10/2006, 07:40 AM
Can you post the article they have for him for OU?

I don't have a subscription...I just posted the free stuff.

Big Ed Gator
8/11/2006, 01:02 PM
When Garcia commits to SCar, Newton will be our #1 target.
He has us in the lead over the rest, fwiw.
But with these kids, who knows what he'll do.

goingoneight
8/12/2006, 12:58 AM
Nice, I like that 'Red X' in a QB. Shows he can play a little defense, too... I guess.

Frozen Sooner
8/12/2006, 01:08 AM
Pic shows up fine for me...

Hublah
8/12/2006, 03:56 AM
BIg guy...we could use him.

Big John
8/12/2006, 04:52 PM
Rivals has him not being interested in OU. I hope scout.com is correct.

He is listed 6'4" 232, with a 4.5 second 40 yard dash.
Rivals also has his stats, which look pretty good.
Link (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=41356)

Ash
8/12/2006, 07:30 PM
Rivals has him not being interested in OU. I hope scout.com is correct.

He is listed 6'4" 232, with a 4.5 second 40 yard dash.
Rivals also has his stats, which look pretty good.
Link (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=41356)

From what I understand, OU wasn't really on his radar screen until the recent sh** with the Idiot. But now there's mutual interest. Haven't heard anything about how they rank in terms of his interest, though...I'm sure those with more recruiting info have a much better handle on it than me.

melbitoast
8/15/2006, 12:25 PM
any updates on this guy?

chbrew09
8/15/2006, 02:25 PM
scout has him at a 4.75 40 and rivals has him at 4.51 40....hmmm just a slight difference there. I hope the latter is true

The Consumate Showman
8/16/2006, 12:11 PM
Well,

Terrance Tolliver, the #1 WR, siad that the Newton kid was the best QB at the Florida camp this year and one of, if not, the best QB's he's seen and Tolliver accosted rivals for only having him ranked where he was. He seems to be a pretty good fit for our Offense; the problem is going to be getting him out of SEC country (at least that's what everyone is saying right now).

melbitoast
8/16/2006, 04:07 PM
Well,

Terrance Tolliver, the #1 WR, siad that the Newton kid was the best QB at the Florida camp this year and one of, if not, the best QB's he's seen and Tolliver accosted rivals for only having him ranked where he was. He seems to be a pretty good fit for our Offense; the problem is going to be getting him out of SEC country (at least that's what everyone is saying right now).

well, let's go get em both! :cool:

snp
8/17/2006, 11:44 AM
When Garcia commits to SCar, Newton will be our #1 target.
He has us in the lead over the rest, fwiw.
But with these kids, who knows what he'll do.

Yea, but Tebow is all but the annointed savior for you guys. I don't think Newton is too keen on chilling 3 years on the bench, when he can in all likelyhood, enroll in January (like he wants to) and take over the reigns for OU in 2007.

I really like this guy. Looks to be very good. And man do we need to sign him.

The Consumate Showman
8/17/2006, 12:27 PM
Newton reminds me of a more athletic ENA...

Desert Sapper
8/17/2006, 01:54 PM
Newton reminds me of a more athletic ENA...

ENA's pretty athletic. I think the knock is his throwing ability. If Newton can toss the rock, I like him. If not, well...I heard he's a pretty awesome Safety, too. At least, that's the talk in the ATL metro area. I can't even imagine having a 6-5 FS back there.

The Consumate Showman
8/17/2006, 02:21 PM
Sapper,

I think Newton will be more able to toss the rock than PT....now that's not to say that PT can't throw the ball, but I think Newton might be more developed as far as QB's go. Just my opinion. Probably wrong!
heh.........

melbitoast
8/17/2006, 02:23 PM
ENA's pretty athletic. I think the knock is his throwing ability. If Newton can toss the rock, I like him. If not, well...I heard he's a pretty awesome Safety, too. At least, that's the talk in the ATL metro area. I can't even imagine having a 6-5 FS back there.

IF, this kid couldn't throw; he might be too big (?) to play safety. Put a few pounds on him, and throw him at DE! :cool:

melbitoast
8/22/2006, 06:55 PM
SNOWMAN!!!! I just saw the note on rivals that Newton has decided to make an early decision. This was posted 2 days ago. What is his current status? Please let me know what info you may have on this! Thanks!!

jccouger
8/22/2006, 11:26 PM
I hope he chooses OU.

GDC
8/23/2006, 07:50 AM
Sooners Update
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/23/2006

NEWS AND NOTES
Set a date: Cameron Newton, the Atlanta prep quarterback who has interest from Oklahoma, told Rivals.com he will commit to a Division I school Sept. 8.

"I'd say it's Oklahoma, South Carolina, Florida, LSU, Maryland and Georgia," said Newton, a 6-foot-5, 230-pounder who is Rivals' No. 10-rated dual-threat quarterback. "They're all even Steven with me."

Newton said he has heard from OU quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel since Rhett Bomar was dismissed from the Sooners right before preseason camp started. He plans on taking a visit to Norman before deciding.

Newton, who is rated the No. 20 prep quarterback nationally by Scout.com, threw for 2,500 yards and 23 touchdowns last year, while rushing for 638 yards and another nine TDs.

Night time: OU's home game against Middle Tennessee Sept. 23 will kick off at 6 p.m., the second night game on the Sooners' nonconference schedule. OU opens its season Sept. 2 against UAB at 6 p.m.

While the Sooners-UAB game will be televised by TBS, the OU-Middle Tennessee game will be available on a pay-per-view basis.

OU's other two nonconference games, against Washington Sept. 9 and

at Oregon Sept. 16, are scheduled to kick off at 2:30 p.m.

Ticket update: UAB has returned 200 tickets for the Sept. 2 opener, which are available for purchase by the general public.

The $57 tickets may be purchased online at SoonerSports.com, by calling 800-456-4668, or in person at the OU Ticket Office located in the Asp Avenue Parking Facility outside Memorial Stadium.

They're being watched: The Sooners' Adrian Peterson and Rufus Alexander were among those named to the 35-member watch list for the Walter Camp Foundation Player of the Year Award Monday.

Peterson, who has rushed for 2,949 yards in his first two seasons at OU, is expected to vie for several national honors this season. He was the Heisman Trophy runner-up in 2004, when he also finished third in balloting for the Maxwell Award.

Alexander, the Sooners' starting weakside linebacker, is also on watch lists for the Bednarik and Lombardi Awards as well as the Lott Trophy..

Ash
8/23/2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the update gdc.

Ya know, he says all the teams are even, and maybe it's true - who's to say...but I'm thinking he mentions OU first, meaning the Sooners are the first team he's thinking of...meh, whatever.

Hope his early commit means good news for the Sooners.

snp
8/23/2006, 04:54 PM
Saying one school first means absolutely nothing in recruiting.

TampaGator17
8/23/2006, 05:16 PM
We're pretty confident about getting him because A) we've been on him longer than OU and B) he hasn't visited Norman. Things could change, but I plan on seeing Cameron in the O&B.

Good luck this year, Sooners. Go back to beating Texas because I don't think I can handle another year of their fans coming out of the wood work.

snp
8/23/2006, 05:45 PM
Those are the two weakest reasons to have confidence. He's planning a visit to OU, and we weren't in on him because of our QB security. You guys have a top-3 QB in last year's class and we don't. We're starting to look good.

Ash
8/23/2006, 08:04 PM
Saying one school first means absolutely nothing in recruiting.

No kidding. Guess the tongue-in-cheek part of the post got lost somewhere. Whatever.:rolleyes:

I still hope the visit goes well and the early commit = good news for Sooners!

boomersooner28
8/29/2006, 11:41 AM
Uuhhh, I just read where he is going to commit on Sep 7, and he isn't taking ANY visits because he doesn't have time...this according to his father. We are in the mix...but, it doesn't look good. Especially if he isn't even going to visit.

The Consumate Showman
8/29/2006, 12:11 PM
Uuhhh, I just read where he is going to commit on Sep 7, and he isn't taking ANY visits because he doesn't have time...this according to his father. We are in the mix...but, it doesn't look good. Especially if he isn't even going to visit.

True dat.

BUT...his father has been quoted as saying things like, "...in this day and age of technology and the internet, you can do A LOT of your homework and research of a school online and we have been doing a lot of our homework and research online."

I'll tell you guys one thing for sure...the "dead period" for coaches to call players is over on Friday. I would like to see the bill for the Newton household and see how many incoming calls they get from 9/1-9/7...

BASSooner
8/29/2006, 04:43 PM
we even take our quizzes online..its crazy

4everasooner
8/30/2006, 07:18 AM
he will get 80 or more calls.

SgtSooner
8/30/2006, 04:00 PM
I certainly think that if we can get the kid in on a visit we have a hell of a chance. He can see first hand the environment, players, facilities, and the unmatched history of Sooners Football. No other school recruiting this kid can provide the immediate playing time, tradition, national exposure, etc.

Does anyone know 100% certain if the kid is making it to Norman?

sooner-n-ga
8/30/2006, 07:26 PM
Recruiting: QB's father breaks it down

By James Hale

Posted Aug 29, 2006

The latest on Atlanta, Ga. four-star quarterback Cameron Newton's upcoming decision.

Cameron Newton, QB, 6-5, 225, ATLANTA (WESTLAKE HS), GEORGIA:

At this point in the recruiting process, Atlanta, Ga. quarterback Cameron Newton is not talking to the media as his father — Cecil Newton — is now doing the talking for him. So to find out the latest with the 19th-best quarterback in the country, we went straight to Mr. Newton.

JH: Why have you decided to not let Cameron talk to the media anymore?

CN: “Now that the season is upon us, our first game is Friday night, I just thought it was best that Cameron concentrate on his senior season and school. Cameron is getting a lot of text messages and he is getting a lot of attention. If Cameron is going to do what he needs to go to graduate early and have a great senior year, he has to totally focus on his school and his season.

"I respect the recruiting process and I am honored that so many coaches and media feel that my son is worthy of so much attention and is being called one of the best quarterback prospects in the country. However, in saying that we have his senior coming up and whether Westlake is going to have success is resting entirely on Cameron’s shoulders.

Cameron wants to have a great senior year and he wants Westlake to have a great year. And with school, football and recruiting going on it had become to cumbersome for him. It was getting to cumbersome to take calls at 10:30 to 11:30 at night, early in the morning and all the texts that he was receiving. I kind of want him to focus on what he does as a senior athlete in high school.”

JH: Have you talked to the Oklahoma coaches at this point?

CN: “No, I haven’t. I really haven’t. I think it would be best served for me to talk to them, because a 17-year old kid doesn’t know all the parameters that go into making a decision about college. I do, because I have coached Cameron since he was three years old from the kitchen table to the age that he is now. We have talked football, X’s and O’s at the breakfast and dinner table.

"Actually, the preparation for the game is won from a psychological or preparation perspective, not just showing up and playing the game. The preparation process and making the adjustments when need be and reading the tendencies that the defense gives you increases your opportunities to make the plays that you anticipate making.”

JH: So are you going to try to make contact with Oklahoma soon?

CN: “I thought Cameron had been talking to them quite extensively, there is no need for me to jump into the picture right now. I have great respect for the Oklahoma program, I really do. I have followed them back in my day, which was Billy Sims' day. I really know it is a rich tradition and an outstanding program.

"It is very unfortunate what happened to the kid regarding him being dismissed from the program, but we won’t have time to come to Norman. It is not that I wouldn’t like to, but we wouldn’t have time. I told this to other scouting analysts — that you can find out enough about a program on the Internet and through circular magazines. I read a lot of magazines and kind of keep up with programs, not just sporadically over night, but what has been going on the last two, three to four years.”

JH: So he will not be taking any more visits at this point?

CN: “Before the announcement, he won’t. We just don’t have time. I would have welcomed the opportunity and Cameron would have normally taken more opportunities to take visits, but he was with the team Georgia 7-on-7 All-Star team during the later part of July, which those three weekends kind of hampered our opportunity to come to Nebraska and Oklahoma.

"We didn’t even visit LSU and Ole Miss, and they have been tracking him for about a year-and-a-half. Some of the camps that we did go to conflicted with some of the camps that were being offered pretty much around the country. So you couldn’t be in two or three places at one time.”

JH: Since you say that you are not going to visit OU, does they really have any kind of legitimate shot at signing Cameron?

CN: “Seriously, they do. Seriously. There have been some things that we have been studying for the last six to eight weeks. I am just trying to make him conscientious of certain things. Obviously, you have programs out there that have Heisman candidates and everybody likes to play on those teams. Everybody wants to hear Kirk Herbstreit talk about them on College GameDay. There is a lot of fanfare that goes along with this stuff. However, in all reality we can’t make the visit.But it doesn’t exclude them. Just like LSU or even Central Florida, who have come on strong here of late. We just can’t make every visit.

"I would say that we do have a reasonably strong interest in a program like Oklahoma, and it would be safe to say this that whatever decision that Cameron and I make we are going to guard it to the extent that to make sure that the wheels don’t run off the program that we want to commit to. We need to make sure that they stay in line with what we expect to happen during the season, not in terms of just wins and losses.

"We are trying to figure the offensive scheme, the offensive package and what kind of system do you have in place? What did you run last year? Is it just a generic something that you have just put together or is it a system that Cameron can play comfortably from within as a dual-threat quarterback at 6-5 and 225 pounds. He is a prototypical Vince Young type guy. Every system doesn’t fit that type of athletic ability, so what I want to do, even after the announcement, is study programs to see if the program that we do announce with and commit with stay in line with what we expect them to. Does another team have the kind of presentation of a system that Cameron could come right in and adapt to, not just get on the field and play?

"I am not really interested in my son playing his freshman year. I am really not. I think college is a big step and it is a lot of adjustments to make. It is a lot of systems to learn and before he is ready. I would rather he wait and develop than to get out there prematurely and not perform up to the expected level. The depth chart is quite important as well though.”

JH: What are the key things that you are looking for in a program at this point?

CN: “Obviously, the rich tradition of a program and the stability of that program, as well as the coach’s tradition and history. Secondly, the depth chart and the academics associated with some of my son’s interests. I did say a couple of weeks ago and since we have retracted that we were looking strongly ACC and SEC, but I must note that actually the Big 10 schools don’t heavily recruit in the Southeast, or at least to my knowledge.

"I think that is because it is partly because there are so many schools in the SEC like LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn and South Carolina. They have a rich opportunity right here on the East Coast, but over the last two to three years I have not known many guys out of Atlanta, outside of the guy from Peach County that wound up at Ohio State. They just haven’t shown a strong presence on a visitation basis, and it is quite costly I would imagine flying all over the country.”

JH: I know you have narrowed down your decision, so what schools are you still considering? And do you have a favorite?

CN: “Let’s start with the SEC. We have Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Those four schools have showed a continued allegiance. They have talked to Cameron’s head coach and have interacted with Cameron. I haven’t interacted with them. I just kind of stepped into the picture the last six to eight months. I am a live-at home-dad and I kind of took a back seat prior to his senior season. But now the decision rest soleley on me and my son. Those schools, since his junior year, have been tracking him quite frequently. Then you have Oklahoma. Who can’t deny the rich tradition and prestige of Oklahoma? Who can deny that? So they are in the top five.”

JH: Are you dead set on the September 8th to make the decision?

CN: “Actually we are going to make the announcement on the 7th. We have to bump it down, because the 8th is his second game. It is a home game and we really don’t want to the distraction. So what we are trying to do is make the announcement on the 7th that evening. We are supposed to do a television press conference, but we have to get clearance from our new principal at school. She is trying to implement now policies and the 7th is an open house at the school.

"We made her aware that we had an interest in all the media showing up on the 7th. She hasn’t gotten back with me about making this announcement. If she declines then we will probably have to go to the television station (CSS) and make the announcement. I wanted to get this behind us so we could focus pretty much on the season.

After the season, after I feel that Cameron has a real grip, I am not denying the fact that we might take some other official visits. We might do that, because some things can run amok. You don’t know that until things presents themselves. With that, the commitment is going to be what it is and I don’t really want to prostitute fan bases and play one had against another. I really don’t like doing that kind of stuff, but the option would still be open to make a visit in case plan A doesn’t work, we perhaps have a plan B in place.”

JH: Again are you saying that you don’t plan to get a hold of the OU coaches before you make the announcement?

CN: “I want the record to show that I have a premium respect for the Oklahoma program, regardless to whether I ever talk the coaches or not. That is just me from my personal perspective. If I had to call the OU coaches, or if I had to call a whole bunch of other people who would like to talk to me like George O’Leary, Urban Meyer to Steve Spurrier, I really couldn’t get on with the business that I am supposed to do from day-to-day, with all due respect.

"Again, we are trying to evaluate each opportunity on its own merit and see where we rank or stand with the depth chart, and just kind of play it like that. I kind of feel for Oklahoma. When I saw that they are going to take the wide receiver guy who was formally a quarterback and bring him back inside, you have to make kind of adjustments. This is kind of going to serve as a patch-up season and they are going to try to get some guys in there who can help them plug that hole.”

sooner-n-ga
8/30/2006, 07:28 PM
RECRUITING: Newton Will Announce On Sept. 7th

By Franz Beard
GatorCountry.com Managing Editor
Posted Aug 25, 2006

With his senior year of high school football just a week away, there are moments when Cameron Newton wonders just exactly where did the time go? It only seems like yesterday that he was getting his thumb jammed as a freshman when he was taking the snap under center from his brother Cecil Newton, Jr.

(See Cameron Newton profile)
"I was a freshman that would say a prayer before every play," said Cameron, a 6-6, 225-pound quarterback from Atlanta Westlake. "We'd break the huddle and I'd pray 'Lord don't let me forget the play' or something like that."

He still says a lot of prayers --- faith is an important part of who he is --- but the ones that probably do most of the praying these days are Westlake's opponents. Cecil Jr. has moved on to Tennessee State where he's a senior and the starting center. Cameron is now a senior at Westlake, big, strong and very athletic. He can beat you with his feet (he runs a 4.5 40) or his arm, which is plenty strong and very accurate.

As a junior Cameron, who is rated four stars by Scout.com, threw for more than 2,500 yards and he ran for more than 600. He accounted for 32 touchdowns, 23 with his arm and nine with his feet. Those numbers only figure to improve as he comes back for one more year at Westlake with the goal of bringing the school its first state championship.

"It's really important to me to win the state championship this year," he said. "We're trying to build a real dynasty at Westlake but we have to win our first state championship to become a dynasty. We have to be the first team in our school history to make it past the third round of the state playoffs and we have to be the first one to win it all.

"Everybody is talking in this area --- at the barber shops, the restaurants, wherever people get together --- and they want to see us do it. Everybody talks about it that this could be the first team ever from Westlake to win the state championship."

He's so dedicated to winning the state championship that he's tried to do all the little extra things this summer to be the kind of leader it takes. As the quarterback, he is the one player that everybody on his team looks to for leadership. If he leads vocally and by example, he knows that his teammates will follow.

"I think we've done a lot of bonding this summer," he said. "Especially in the last few weeks before we started preseason practice, we've come together. We've been having meetings to learn the playbook, workouts, watching film … all the extra things. Now that practice has started, our seniors are all coming to practice early and leaving late. We're trying to set the example of hard work and dedication for the young guys to follow."

From a personal standpoint, he's spending a lot of time working with his receivers. It's not just about throwing the ball and running routes. He's trying to help them learn to adjust their routes when a blitz is coming, teaching them to recognize hot routes when they see certain coverages and helping them learn the audibles.

"As the quarterback, my job is to do the best I can to help make the people around me better," he said. "Everybody on the team is not going to go on to play at a Division I school or even to play college football, so you have to work with them and help them any way you can. As a senior and as a quarterback, you have to make those guys better if you can. You have to help everyone from the best to the least to do a better job."

All the extra work that's been going on this summer by all of his teammates looks like it's paying off in practice sessions that are lively and spirited. He says that one day it's the offense's turn to light it up. The next day the defense has the upper hand.

"One day the offense clicks and the next day it's the defense," he said. "We're determined to make it tough on each other so we'll get better. I think we've done a good job of that."

Cameron Newton is one of the nation's most highly recruited quarterbacks but he is determined that the recruiting process isn't going to interfere with Westlake's run at a state championship. He's narrowed his choices to Florida, Oklahoma and Mississippi State and the plan is to announce his commitment on CSS TV with Scout.com's Scott Kennedy on September 7.

When he makes his decision it will be a happy day because he'll know where he's going to school next year but it will also be sad because he really likes the coaches at all three of his favorite schools.

"I think those are all good schools and I wish I didn't have to decide on just one," he said. "But, I can only pick one school and I have to make a choice which one is best for me in the long run. I'll put a lot more thought and prayer but when I decide I know I'll pick the right one."

With the recruiting decision out of the way, he will be able to concentrate on his two chief goals --- helping Westlake win that state title and graduating from high school early so he can start college in January.

"I want to get that extra spring practice in so I'm graduating early," he said. "As a quarterback, you have to give yourself every possible advantage and getting in school early and having an extra spring to learn the offense is so important. It's going to be a very exciting time in my life."

sooner-n-ga
8/30/2006, 07:30 PM
The plot thickens
by Steve Robertson of Scout.com, August 26, 2006 at 8:24pm ET

Cameron Newton Profile

Westlake (GA) Quarterback Cameron Newton has scheduled an announcement for September 7th. The hope is that Cameron will announce his college decision on the campus of Westlake High School. Regardless of location, Cameron's father Cecil Newton says September 7th is decision day.
"We're going to do it on September 7th," said Cecil. "The fact of the matter is we just simply cannot go see all of these places. It's flattering to know that I have a child that has all of these options, but we're ready to bring things to a head."

"The season is now upon us and I have a son playing center at Tennessee State. Some of the trips and visits may interefere with our support of him and we just cannot allow that. He has worked hard to get where he is and he needs to be recognized for his efforts. We try to make three or so ball games a year and we don't want any interference."

Earlier reports indicated that Cameron had narrowed the field down to three schools. Cecil reports those three, Florida, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma, are finalists, but they are not alone.

"We have a top five, but the phone is still ringing," said Cecil. "We are looking at conferences, coaches, academics, depth chart and the distance from home. All of those issues will be factors in the decision."

"The five schools that are still under heavy consideration are Florida, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Oklahoma and LSU," said Cecil. "All five of those schools have offered Cameron as a Quarterback. Oklahoma has come on the strongest in the past two or three weeks, but I have not spoken with Coach Stoops yet."

Cecil reports that when a decision is made it would take something drastic to change Cameron's commitment.

"Short of the wheels falling off or some type of scandal the decision will be final," said Newton. "Unless something should come out later about the coach or about the team, Cameron's recruitment will be over and his commitment will be solid."

Stay with Scout.com as decision day approaches for Cameron Newton.

melbitoast
8/30/2006, 11:03 PM
Great stuff sooner-n-ga!! I know the entire Sooner nation is intrigued with this young man, so please keep us updated with anything you can. Again, great read.

Big Red Ron
8/31/2006, 01:10 PM
His dad is a "Stay-at-home-dad" but he doesn't have time to call anyone.

Call me unimpressed.

GottaHavePride
8/31/2006, 04:59 PM
Just an fyi - if those are premium-content articles from Scout.com, the mods here really frown on posting the entire articles. Just so you know.

sooner-n-ga
8/31/2006, 08:48 PM
and Gavsv.com should be the only one's who could have a problem with it.

Ash
9/1/2006, 12:28 AM
So the kid's going to make a decision without visiting all the campuses. One of those being OU, which is listed as top 3 or at the least top 5. Did he take any visits? If so, what are the odds we can land him via a late push of phone calls only?

Blue
9/1/2006, 12:44 AM
His dad sounds like another Jerry Bomar. I say, Meh.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/4/2006, 06:05 PM
we even take our quizzes online..its crazy

Wow, can you lift weights online yet? I might be interested in that...

stoopified
9/5/2006, 08:27 AM
Two days to go,we should know SOON-ER than later.:D

Desert Sapper
9/5/2006, 10:57 PM
I hope we have made an impression on him...over the phone...

sooner-n-ga
9/7/2006, 06:21 AM
RECRUITING: Just A Rumor Says Newton's Dad

By Franz Beard
Posted Sep 6, 2006

Cecil Newton first heard the rumor that his son, Atlanta Westlake quarterback Cameron Newton, was out for the rest of the season with either a broken ankle or a broken leg back on Monday. Since then he's been answering one phone call after another, telling everybody the same thing, but nobody seems to believe him.

"He's fine," Cecil Newton told Gator Country Tuesday afternoon. "Watch our press conference Thursday night. He'll be walking and wearing dress shoes … no cast, no braces, no crutches. Even Ray Charles will be able to see that Cameron's leg or ankle isn't broken. You'll either have to believe me now when I'm telling you he's just fine or else you're going to have to believe I brought in a faith healer about an hour before we go on TV to announce. When you see him, he'll be all right."

Cameron Newton is set to make his college commitment Thursday at 7 p.m. with Scott Kennedy on CSS-TV in a press conference held at Atlanta's Westlake High School. The four-star rated (by Scout.com) quarterback will be making his choice between Florida, Oklahoma and Mississippi State.

"Everybody will be able to see for themselves that he doesn't have a broken leg or a broken ankle," said Cecil Newton. "I keep telling people that now but I guess some people have a hard time believing it. I don't know what I can say other than he's fine. I guess they have to see it to believe it. Well, they can see it Thursday night when we announce it with Scott Kennedy."

Cameron Newton got hurt early in the fourth quarter last Friday night with Westlake leading in its season opener, 22-13. Westlake not only lost Newton for the rest of the game, but it lost the game 27-22 by giving up two touchdowns in the final ten minutes.

On the play that Cameron Newton was injured, he was moving around in the pocket when he got hit from the side.

"His ankle rolled up under him when the defensive end hit him and he left the game and didn't come back," said Cecil Newton. "What he actually did was tweak the tendon. We saw the sports medicine specialist for the Atlanta Falcons Saturday morning and he confirmed that. Cameron ran for the first time yesterday and he had some slight discomfort but he's fine. We'll get a release today (Wednesday) from the team doctor and he'll be good to go Friday night."

Cecil Newton said he first started hearing rumors that Cameron had broken either the leg or the ankle Monday and he's been hearing them ever since.

"I am fairly certain where this started because there are some people around here that are very upset that he's not going to go to school somewhere closer to Atlanta, Georgia than either Gainesville, Florida or Norman, Oklahoma," said Cecil Newton, who played college football at Savannah State University in the 1980s. "You probably wouldn't believe some of the stuff we've heard. It's pretty crazy."

Cecil Newton wouldn't give any hints about which school his son will be choosing Thursday evening.

"All three of them are great schools with great coaches," he said. "You've got Bobby Stoops at Oklahoma and they've won how many national championships there? Urban Meyer is one of the bright young coaches in the country and you see the talent he's bringing in at Florida and you know he's going to win a national championship before too long. Sylvester Croom is one of these coaches we really respect and we believe he's going to build Mississippi State into a powerhouse. He's building things the right way there.

"We've got three choices and we can't go wrong with any of them. The only thing is we can't pick but one of them."

And how will the final decision be made?

"We've been practicing coin flips," said Cecil Newton with a laugh.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/7/2006, 02:49 PM
Tonight is the big night, please choose wisely Newton!

sooner-n-ga
9/7/2006, 06:06 PM
Newton's Day

Cameron Newton By Miller Safrit
Scout.com - South
Posted Sep 7, 2006

This evening, four star quarterback Cameron Newton will make one of his three finalists happy when he makes a commitment at 7 p.m. at Westlake High School .

Projection: Florida

With Newton, the size, strength, agility, and poise he brings to the quarterback position makes him a target for many, very different, offenses.

With Oklahoma and Mississippi State, Newton would be able to come in early and start competing for the job with the talent currently in the program and in the pipeline. While a great recruiting tool normally, Newton really needs to sit his first year and be retooled fundamentally with his mechanics, he footwork, and the new complex college offense.

A major working point for the Newton family is with the coaches and the program to which Cameron will commit.

"Obviously, the rich tradition of a program and the stability of that program, as well as the coach’s tradition and history," said Cameron's father, Cecil Newton.

With all factors included, Florida appears poised and ready to add another jewel to a very impressive recruiting class and it is a great fit for Cameron as well.

Physically, he plays a lot like Tim Tebow from last year's recruiting class. He is a big, strong player with good speed and able to bring the ball down out of the pocket. If Florida continues to run the spread option package that made Urban Meyer successful at Utah, that would be the perfect system to utilize Newton's tools.

Miller's Projection: Florida

TampaGator17
9/7/2006, 06:25 PM
He chose Florida.

You guys may be in on a higher ranked prospect though, and I'm not talking Garcia.

Trust me, you would LOVE getting this kid.

Hook 'em

If ya catch my drift.

soonerthanu
9/7/2006, 06:26 PM
Tebow, Snead??? come on man tell me :)

Harry Beanbag
9/7/2006, 06:33 PM
Tebow, Snead??? come on man tell me :)

I believe the guy he's talking about is already committed to another school. It's supposed to be hush hush, so shhhh.

sooner-n-ga
9/7/2006, 06:57 PM
Cameron Newton Says "I'm Going To Be A Gator"

By Franz Beard
Posted Sep 7, 2006

The first time that Cameron Newton met Tim Tebow, he felt there was a real connection. It probably has to do something with the fact that the two quarterbacks were linebackers at one time, and maybe it also has something to do with the fact that they both play quarterback with somewhat of a linebacker mentality even today. Given a chance, they'll both go out of their way to hit somebody.

(See Cameron Newton profile)
Tebow took his all-around quarterbacking game and linebacker mentality to the University of Florida where he's now Chris Leak's backup as a true freshman. Cameron Newton decided Thursday that he'll not only be taking his quarterbacking game and linebacker mentality to the University of Florida, but he'll be joining forces with Tim Tebow.

"I'm going to be a Gator," said Newton, a 6-6, 225-pounder from Atlanta's Westlake High School. Newton selected Florida Thursday in a press conference at Westlake High School, choosing the Gators over Oklahoma and Mississippi State. Altogether, he had more than 40 scholarship offers.

In selecting the Gators, Newton said, "I love the University of Florida. I think that it's the best place for me to develop as a quarterback and I think my talents fit that system better than any other out there."

While Newton said that he's quite content he's made the best choice, he added that he is most appreciative of the attention Oklahoma and Mississippi State paid to him.

"You can only make one choice so I have to make the one I think is best and that's Florida," he said. "I wouldn't have gone wrong with Oklahoma or Mississippi State, though. Those are great schools with great coaches and I wish them the best."

Newton, rated four stars by Scout.com, has been a rising presence on the nation's quarterback charts after a spectacular summer of camps and combines. He lit things up at the Florida Friday Night Lights Camp back in July with a performance that really caught the attention of the entire Florida coaching staff.

Still, Florida already has Tebow, who is just a freshman. Many of the nation's top quarterback prospects saw Tebow's presence at Florida as a detriment. Newton believes that he and Tebow can work together to make each other better players all the while helping the Florida Gators win football games.

"Why would I be afraid of competing with Tim Tebow?" Newton asked. "He's a great quarterback and he'll make me better and I'll compete with him and work hard and make him better. If one of us goes down, we'll have the other one. The way I look at it, it's win-win for both of us and the University of Florida."

Newton met up with Tebow on visits to Florida. He described the encounters as "really good … a couple of guys that just hit it off from the beginning. He's a great guy and he's a tremendous competitor. When we met we talked about adapting from college to high school. He came to Florida early entry in January and I'm going to be doing the same thing. I gained a lot of respect for him the way we talked about things. Some guys in his position wouldn't even give you the time of day. They'd see you as someone who is a threat but not Tim. We want the same thing. We want to win and now we're going to help the University of Florida win. We're going to have that same goal of winning a national championship and we're going to work together to get that for the Gators."

Another factor that tipped the scales in favor of the Gators was Florida's starting quarterback, senior Chris Leak.

"One of the big reasons I'm going to be a Gator is Chris Leak," said Newton. "Since I was 13 years old, he's been my role model. He's a great guy, a great student, a great quarterback. He is a Gator and I'll be a Gator too."

Newton grew up wanting to play football in the state of Florida. He's been watching Florida, Florida State and Miami on television since he first got interested in football and he knew from the time he put on the pads for the first time that one of those three would be his dream school.

"I guess you could say I've been a Florida boy all my life," he said. "When I was six or seven, I would watch the bowl games on New Year's Day and my favorite games were always the ones with Florida, FSU or Miami. I promised myself a few years ago that if it was at all possible, one day I would play for one of them."

As he became more and more familiar with Coach Urban Meyer, he felt that Florida would be the best fit. Newton, who is an A-B student who already has a qualifying SAT score, appreciates the way Meyer goes about discipline and team building.

"I like the way Coach Meyer does things," he said. "He's not just interested in you for football. When I talk to him, we talk about a lot of stuff and football's just one of the things we talk about. He sees you as someone who's important and you can tell that his players are all important to him. He talks about working with you to make sure you get a degree and you get prepared for life.

"I'd be lying if I said I don't think about playing in the NFL someday. Every kid that gets recruited to a top Division I program thinks about that but not everybody has a chance to make it to that level. A lot of things can happen along the way. You can get hurt, for example. So, you have to have a plan for the rest of your life. I think one of the things that really sold me on Coach Meyer and Florida was that he really had a plan to help me figure out what I'll do with the rest of my life."

Newton also likes the recruiting classes that Meyer is putting together. The Gators had what many consider to be the top recruiting class in the nation this past February, a class made even better by the fact that all 26 of the Gators qualified and made it into school. The Gators are off to another bright start on the recruiting trail with at other commitments including six from the nation's top ranked Lakeland Dreadnaughts.

Newton says he can't wait to become a recruiting asset for the Gators just like Tebow.

"Tim Tebow and I are already good friends," said Newton. "He's a big asset to Florida and a great recruiter for Florida. I'm going to be like that too. I'm going to be a great recruiter for Florida."

He said his first target to help the Gators finish up with another top ranked recruiting class is wide receiver Terrance Tolliver of Hempstead, Texas, the third-ranked wide receiver in the nation.

"I'm already working on my boy Terrance Tolliver," said Newton. "I'm telling him we've got me, Joe Haden, Chris Rainey, Paul Wilson … we've got Mike and Maurkice Pouncey and Ahmad Black and Steve Wilks from Lakeland … Aaron Hernandez … what are you waiting for dude?"

And once he gets to Florida, he said Gator fans can expect a right handed version of what they see with Tim Tebow.

"I was sitting in Coach Meyer's office with my dad and he asked me a question," Newton recalled. "He said 'It's fourth and two in The Swamp … we're playing Florida State … just a few seconds left on the clock and we need a touchdown to win … what are you going to do?'

"I told him, Coach, whatever in life it takes to score that touchdown, I'm going to score it. They'll have to kill me to stop me from getting in the end zone."

It's that old linebacker mentality.

"I never lost that linebacker mentality," he said. "Just because I've got the ball in my hands doesn't mean I'm not going to get my lick in. The way I look at it, if I deliver the blow, I've got the advantage. You got a left handed linebacker mentality at quarterback in Tebow. Now you've got a right handed

Big Ed Gator
9/7/2006, 07:13 PM
yay! for the good guys!

Now if you guys can take Stephen Garcia from the head **** everything will be right in the universe!

mrowl
9/7/2006, 07:52 PM
hmmm... we will see if he plays friday.

Big Red Ron
9/7/2006, 07:57 PM
Chris Leak = Ron Pawless

All hype no production

CatfishSooner
9/7/2006, 07:58 PM
hope he likes sittin' in line to play untill he's a senior...

Big Red Ron
9/7/2006, 08:08 PM
Maybe Tebow sux

Desert Sapper
9/7/2006, 10:37 PM
We're currently whiffing all over the place on QB recruits. Maybe OUr fortune will reverse soon? I hope we can get somebody else in there for next year, at least for some competition and depth purposes. I don't care who it is, as long as he comes in with some decent tools and a good attitude for JH to work with. OUr one and only 5-star QB recruit was a dud. Let's get somebody that wants to win games (and not just be a superstar). The 'right-handed LB' may have been the guy (and may still be -- it's early in the recruiting process yet). Another guy is out there.

boomersooner28
9/7/2006, 11:24 PM
Has anybody seen Sam Bradford play? I am almost more happy with a 3 star kid that plays his *** off rather than recruiting a 5-star primadonna that only cares about making it to the league.

Find me a Josh Heupel! (I know, few and far between)

Blue
9/8/2006, 05:03 AM
I for one can say...Who gives a ****?

They're a dime a dozen.

Desert Sapper
9/8/2006, 05:20 AM
I for one can say...Who gives a ****?

They're a dime a dozen.

QBs or guys like Josh Heupel? We probably will start either Bradford or Halzle next year, but having another option is vital before next summer. It would be nice if we could get a kid that could be here before spring drills.

GDC
9/8/2006, 10:36 AM
So he's going to Florida?

KingDavid
9/8/2006, 04:16 PM
So he's going to Florida?

yes. newton chose florida.

The Consumate Showman
9/8/2006, 04:54 PM
yes. newton chose florida.

Hope he likes the bench, because that's where he'll be unless he gets moved to WR...

Ash
9/8/2006, 04:58 PM
Hope he likes the bench, because that's where he'll be unless he gets moved to WR...

That's exactly what I was thinking. Somebody is getting moved to a new position, maybe it isn't Newton but it might be...

BASSooner
9/8/2006, 05:05 PM
what a waste...i feel sorry for the guy. tebow will be praised over there when leak leaves

snp
11/26/2008, 01:30 PM
Bump:

Florida backup quarterback Cameron Newton was charged with stealing another student's laptop computer after being arrested Friday.

Newton was suspended from the team, spokesman Steve McClain said, and was being held in the Alachua County jail. He has been charged with felony counts of burglary, larceny and obstructing justice.

According to the University Police Department, Newton stole the laptop worth $1,700 and threw it out his dormitory window Friday when officers arrived to investigate the theft.

A student reported the computer stolen Oct. 16, according to the police report, and an investigation linked the laptop to Newton five days later when he allegedly used the machine to access the school's network. The school identified the user name as "cnewton," police said.

University police went to Newton's dorm Friday, were invited inside and noticed the laptop on Newton's desk. Officers left the room to confirm that the computer matched the serial code of the laptop reported stolen, according to the report. When they returned, it was gone.

According to police, the laptop had been painted black on the top and had "Cam Newton" written on the top in white paint. Officers found the computer behind a trash bin outside the dorm and learned that "Mr. Newton threw the computer out of his bedroom window," the report said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/11/22/sports/FBC-T25-Florida-Newton-Arrested.php

sooner2b09
11/26/2008, 01:32 PM
I think I am happy with Sam :D

LoyalFan
11/28/2008, 12:02 AM
Looks good from here. Nice size. Strong chin. ECT....

Yep. A strong ect is a sure sign of greatness. (Uhhh...is his ect showing in the pic or was it censored?)
No offense intended, I solemnly swear. Honest. Really...etc.

OU-HSV
11/30/2008, 10:44 AM
I think I am happy with Sam :D

Word

soonerfanlv
12/14/2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah i think that Sam just might pan out. :cool:

Scotty
12/18/2008, 07:49 PM
There is nothing worse in the world of sports than a waste of talent.

Scotty
12/18/2008, 07:50 PM
heh. sorry to double post but this guy called it

what a waste...i feel sorry for the guy. tebow will be praised over there when leak leaves