PDA

View Full Version : I think I just saw a bobcat or something..

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2006, 09:08 PM
I was driving home from picking up a pizza just now, and I see this really large dangerous looking cat on top of a guy's truck in his driveway.

This thing is way way the hell too big to be a house cat, and I figured it was a mountain lion, a bobcat, or something that I wouldn't know from my *** in the ground. Is it normal to have those kinds of animals around here?

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2006, 09:09 PM
call it morris and see if it comes to you

BoogercountySooner
8/8/2006, 09:11 PM
Sic em sic em!

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2006, 09:35 PM
I've been looking up pictures of large cats, and I think it was a young mountain lion.

RacerX
8/8/2006, 09:36 PM
chupacabra!

BajaOklahoma
8/8/2006, 09:47 PM
We have them in Plano. And not just at the Senior High.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2006, 09:52 PM
We have them in Plano. And not just at the Senior High.

ahhhh yes, my alma mater

go Wildcats!

SoonerInKCMO
8/8/2006, 10:08 PM
This thing is way way the hell too big to be a house cat, and I figured it was a mountain lion, a bobcat, or something that I wouldn't know from my *** in the ground. Is it normal to have those kinds of animals around here?

I believe the correct phrase is "wouldn't know my *** from a hole in the ground".

Kids today. :(

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2006, 10:10 PM
I believe the correct phrase is "wouldn't know my *** from a hole in the ground".

Kids today. :(

You have to understand that in situations such as these with posts such as that from me...I go to Baylor.

SoonerInKCMO
8/8/2006, 10:19 PM
Oh I keep that in mind... I'm just doing my part to make sure you get some semblance of a *real* education. :D

8/8/2006, 10:24 PM
Did it have a short tail? (AND DON'T TELL ME YOU DIDN'T LOOK)

sooner_born_1960
8/8/2006, 10:32 PM
http://www.reedsburgrent-all.com/images/bobcat-743b-skid-steer-rents-front-end-loader.jpg
I don't see any tail at all on this one.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2006, 10:54 PM
Did it have a short tail? (AND DON'T TELL ME YOU DIDN'T LOOK)
It was facing me, so I couldn't see the tail.

Ash
8/8/2006, 11:05 PM
chupacabra!

:D heh.spek!

Ash
8/8/2006, 11:10 PM
Bobcats are fairly common, mountain lions much less so...

check out this link
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/dbsrch/mammlist.php

BudSooner
8/8/2006, 11:13 PM
Did you invite it to Branson?http://www.mfbb.net/reaper/images/smiles/tlab06.gif

Jimminy Crimson
8/9/2006, 02:04 AM
I could go for some pizza right about now...

olevetonahill
8/9/2006, 04:25 AM
hell you think Melo is dangerious looking :D
Odds are if it was on a truck its a house cat . a Bobcat or Mountain lion will not just be lazing around for you to look at .
No more zimas for you tonight

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 04:34 AM
This thing was sure as hell not a house cat. Unless this house cat is some sort of genetic mutation. The thing was f-ing HUGE and was dangerous looking.

I definitely think it was a bobcat though and not a mountain lion. It wasn't lazing around either it was sniffing and seemed to be hunting something. I figured there was food or something in the truck.

olevetonahill
8/9/2006, 04:45 AM
was its back legs longer than its front legs ?
I just cant see any wild cat type hanging around some ones truck .
They are elusive as hell . I have seen maybe 8 in the years Ive lived out here in the boonies . Not saying they cant or wont be in town but I dont think they are gonna be seen .
Like I said NO MORE ZIMAS FOR you tonight.:D

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 04:51 AM
Well, I'm not sure it was a bobcat but I definitely know it was not a common house or alley cat. It was huge and I believe it had some pretty big teeth on it.

It had pretty broad shoulders though.

(I'm actually having a crown and pepsi right now) :D

olevetonahill
8/9/2006, 04:53 AM
Well, I'm not sure it was a bobcat but I definitely know it was not a common house or alley cat. It was huge and I believe it had some pretty big teeth on it.

It had pretty broad shoulders though.

(I'm actually having a crown and pepsi right now) :D
Crown and pepsi ? thats damn near as bad as a zima :eek:
Boy where your headed you better learn to Like and Make apple jack ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 05:03 AM
Crown and pepsi ? thats damn near as bad as a zima :eek:
Boy where your headed you better learn to Like and Make apple jack ;)

That reminds me...
I need to post an update.

Okla-homey
8/9/2006, 05:39 AM
According to my step-dad who is a bigtime coonhunter whose primary area of operation is the tri-county Love, Carter and Murray region (is it possible to be hillbillier than that I ask you?) we are currently blessed with an excessive number of bobcats here in the Sooner State.

LoyalFan
8/9/2006, 05:59 AM
Did you invite it to Branson?http://www.mfbb.net/reaper/images/smiles/tlab06.gif

Yeah, he did. But it stood 'im up.
LF

olevetonahill
8/9/2006, 06:36 AM
According to my step-dad who is a bigtime coonhunter whose primary area of operation is the tri-county Love, Carter and Murray region (is it possible to be hillbillier than that I ask you?) we are currently blessed with an excessive number of bobcats here in the Sooner State.
Oh yea. I think most of the people who live down here , their family tree Tap root goes straight back to Neanderthal :eek:

AlbqSooner
8/9/2006, 06:51 AM
No more zimas for you tonight
If there are any mushrooms left over from that pizza can I have them?

william_brasky
8/9/2006, 08:39 AM
I've been looking up pictures of large cats

:texan:

Mjcpr
8/9/2006, 08:41 AM
Nope, it was probably a groundhog or something.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70737&highlight=panther

toast
8/9/2006, 08:51 AM
well this is certainly more believable than having two females knock on your door offering to do anything for college money.

GDC
8/9/2006, 09:57 AM
rusty trombone:eek:

proud gonzo
8/9/2006, 10:34 AM
you keep saying the cat was huge but huge is a very relative term. what exactly do you mean by "huge" was it like five feet long? six?

picasso
8/9/2006, 10:43 AM
bobcats or linx right now have very short hair but it's darker than that of a cougar.
there's a spot on the road out to my house where I saw a bobcat the other day. it's at a creek crossing and I was told there was a dead baby black panther there recently. lots of deer cross there.

yermom
8/9/2006, 10:44 AM
you're scared of this little guy?

http://www.desertusa.com/april96/du_bcat1.html

Description

The name Bobcat may have originated from its short tail, which is only 6 or 7 inches long. The end of its tail is always black, tipped with white, which distinguishes the Bobcat from its northern cousin, the Canadian Lynx, whose tail is tipped solid black.

The Bobcat has long legs and large paws. Large specimens can weigh up to 30 pounds, but the average Bobcat is only 15 to 20 pounds. The Bobcat's growls and snarls are so deep and fearsome, particularly when hidden from view, that one gets the mis-impression it must be a Mountain Lion.

Geographic variations have some effect on their color. Those found in timber and heavy brush fields are darker with rust-colored tones, while those found in the Great Basin area of northeastern California generally are a paler tawny-gray, often with a complete absence of spots on the back and less distinct markings. The coat in wintertime is a beautiful fur.

one of the cats in my house is probably more than 15-20 pounds...

GDC
8/9/2006, 10:44 AM
Like Dean would say, city folks, meh.

jk the sooner fan
8/9/2006, 11:13 AM
nobody got the morris reference, i'm really disappointed

GottaHavePride
8/9/2006, 12:17 PM
I've been looking up pictures of large cats, and I think it was a young mountain lion.

Like a puma?

BudSooner
8/9/2006, 01:04 PM
I got the Morriss reference, but most on here wouldn't get it...we used to have a cat that looked like Garfield.
He was chased and killed by Dobermans one day.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 01:27 PM
well this is certainly more believable than having two females knock on your door offering to do anything for college money.

Those were cats of a different sort...
And I told them I wasn't interested long before I found out whether they were serious. :D

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 01:28 PM
you keep saying the cat was huge but huge is a very relative term. what exactly do you mean by "huge" was it like five feet long? six?
Relative to the size of even the biggest house cat that I've ever seen.

Hamhock
8/9/2006, 01:31 PM

i put a broadhead through one in January. Little buggars make some funny noises and do some neat aerobatics after they've been stuck.

proud gonzo
8/9/2006, 01:38 PM
Relative to the size of even the biggest house cat that I've ever seen.

I'm guessing you're really bad at giving directions too, huh?

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 01:45 PM
I'm guessing you're really bad at giving directions too, huh?

Well, I didn't get a great look at this thing. It was getting dark and I was driving.

I'd say it was about 4'-5' long.

proud gonzo
8/9/2006, 02:09 PM
see, was that so difficult?

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 02:20 PM
see, was that so difficult?
You could have seen it yourself by turning down that one road with the crooked stop sign, taking a right at the red church, and then a left at the cow with the oversized uterus.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 02:24 PM
I was driving home from picking up a pizza just now, and I see this really large dangerous looking cat on top of a guy's truck in his driveway.

I think SicEm is Soonerwill....let's look at this. Supposedly framed for stealing Political funds? Takes a girl on a date to Branson? and now he is Steve Irwin !!!

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2006, 02:33 PM
Who is Soonerwill?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 02:37 PM
You? ;)

LoyalFan
8/9/2006, 05:46 PM
i put a broadhead through one in January. Little buggars make some funny noises and do some neat aerobatics after they've been stuck.

You must be SOOOOOOOOO proud of causing the animal so much pain and suffering.
That's why REAL hunters, like me, use rifles and shotguns in an effort to assure a clean and instant kill.
But hey, that's just me...and a few million others.
The Ice Age is over, and the Clan of The Cave Bear has discovered gunpowder.
Now, before you counter with "It takes a better/more skillful/manlier/etc hunter to get close enough to use a bow!" I'd suggest using a camera to prove your skills...then the gun.
I've had to track many wounded and suffering deer and hogs, plus one mountain lion, and not always successfully, because of poor archery/black powder shots made by others.
Never shot a bobcat, lion, wolf, raccoon, or coyote (save for one who was hairless and skin and bones, on a bitter winter day.) They're prettier and smarter than I and I prefer the taste of feral hog and Bambi.

Give us this day our daily rant...Amen.

LoyalFan
A hunter since 1951, and learned some stuff along the way.

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 07:55 AM

PG, thanks for the negspek. So, I "basically" disgust you, but not totally? So you're saying there's a chance.?.?.? :texan:

I'm sorry if my comments offended you, but it's called HUNTING. In order for something to be killed, it must die.

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 08:01 AM
You must be SOOOOOOOOO proud of causing the animal so much pain and suffering.
That's why REAL hunters, like me, use rifles and shotguns in an effort to assure a clean and instant kill.
But hey, that's just me...and a few million others.
The Ice Age is over, and the Clan of The Cave Bear has discovered gunpowder.
Now, before you counter with "It takes a better/more skillful/manlier/etc hunter to get close enough to use a bow!" I'd suggest using a camera to prove your skills...then the gun.
I've had to track many wounded and suffering deer and hogs, plus one moutain lion, and not always successfully, because of poor archery/black powder shots made by others.
Never shot a bobcat, lion, wolf, raccoon, or coyote (save for one who was hairless and skin and bones, on a bitter winter day.) They're prettier and smarter than I and I prefer the taste of feral hog and Bambi.

Give us this day our daily rant...Amen.

LoyalFan
A hunter since 1951, and learned some stuff along the way.

So, I'm not a real hunter. Nice. I'll put the ethics of a bowhunter up against a deer rifle hunter any day of the week.

And I assume you have never wounded an animal? How many years have you deer hunted? You've never lost a deer?

And I find it rich that someone who describes himself as a real hunter advocates calling PETA.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2006, 10:02 AM
at least she signed it :P

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 10:16 AM
at least she signed it :P

yes, she signs it every time she negs me.

IB4OU2
8/10/2006, 10:28 AM
Iv'e seen bobcats twice out of my deer stand in the last 2 years in Payne County. The first one was trying to climb the ladder on the stand I was in till I told him to git. The second bobcat was stalking a fawn that was hanging around my stand and the fawn finally ran off. I could of shot either one but I did'nt because I heard they don't taste to good.....

yermom
8/10/2006, 11:07 AM
PG, thanks for the negspek. So, I "basically" disgust you, but not totally? So you're saying there's a chance.?.?.? :texan:

I'm sorry if my comments offended you, but it's called HUNTING. In order for something to be killed, it must die.

you go bobcat hunting?

RacerX
8/10/2006, 12:06 PM
I think SicEm is Soonerwill....let's look at this. Supposedly framed for stealing Political funds? Takes a girl on a date to Branson? and now he is Steve Irwin !!!

A lot of us met/saw him at a tailgate.

soonerinabilene
8/10/2006, 12:21 PM
my main boss lives in waco, right off of the george bush parkway when you are coming in on 84(i think thats the h-way, not sure) and a bobcat gave birth in his backyard last year. and here in abilene, we have a few that live along the creeks that go right through the town. willing to bet that it was a bobcat. its not as unlikely as people think.

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 12:42 PM
you go bobcat hunting?

yes

william_brasky
8/10/2006, 01:15 PM
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/mrri/acechar/specgal/image/photos/bobcat.jpg

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

LoyalFan
8/10/2006, 01:16 PM
So, I'm not a real hunter. Nice. I'll put the ethics of a bowhunter up against a deer rifle hunter any day of the week.

And I assume you have never wounded an animal? How many years have you deer hunted? You've never lost a deer?

And I find it rich that someone who describes himself as a real hunter advocates calling PETA.

I hope you select targets and take aim better than you read, bud, 'cause I said nothing re PETA in my post. You'd also know how many years I've been worshipping Diana, Goddess of The Hunt (when I'm not worshipping PG and Melo, that is) had you read beneath my signature.
Yes, I've lost ONE deer in all these years...ONE...Here's how...
Circa 1970, my first deer season since returning from a different sort of hunt in SE Asia, I made a clean neck shot on an especially tasty-looking barren doe. So far, so good, but when I knelt over the deer to offer a prayer (*yes) and do what was necessary, I noticed a splash of bright red blood behind where the dead deer had been standing. I wasn't sure what had happened until I realized that there was a blood trail leading into virtually impenetrable South Texas thorn.
I hurriedly gutted the first deer and hung it from a mesquite to drain out, then tried to scuttle through the thorny maze (avec cacti and rattlers) to find the other one. By now I had realized that the bullet (.270 Win. 130 gr.) had passed through the slender neck of the first deer and inpacted another behind that one. Obviously, I'd not been able to see the second deer due to lighting and foliage.
From the color of the blood I deduced that a lung had been struck and thus had hopes of a quick find.
No such luck...
I searched until dark, feeling terrible, until I realized the hopelessness of the search. Being alone in dense brush, in crepuscular conditions, brought back memories of events in my previous duty station...creepy.
When I heard the 'yotes singing nearby I knew the deer would not be wasted and that it had, no doubt, bled to death well before the 'yotes smelled blood.
So, yes, I HAVE lost a deer. But, even though the shot was not intended to hit two deer, I'm satisfied that it did not suffer nearly so long as do most arrowed animals. The first deer, BTW, was dead and in Bambi Heaven before it hit the ground.
Tasty critter too!

Be safe and good hunting.

LF

*For being home and intact, the clean kill, and for the soul of the doe.

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 01:33 PM
I hope you select targets and take aim better than you read, bud, 'cause I said nothing re PETA in my post.

Obviously, I'd not been able to see the second deer due to lighting and foliage.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1349549#post1349549

my reading comprehension skills are not the problem.

so, you're saying you took a shot with a high-power rifle without being sure of your backstop...

Fugue
8/10/2006, 01:34 PM
:pop:

olevetonahill
8/10/2006, 01:39 PM

so, you're saying you took a shot with a high-power rifle without being sure of your backstop...
Skeery thought . It could have been a Bow Hunter stalking the deer from the other side .
That said The only thing I am willing to kill these days Is something that ****es me off and 4 legged critters ain't it ;)
Puppy dumpers do qualify tho :D

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 01:49 PM
Skeery thought . It could have been a Bow Hunter stalking the deer from the other side .

or a PETA member watching birds..

proud gonzo
8/10/2006, 01:52 PM

hunters don't bother me, retards do.

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 01:54 PM
hunters don't bother me, retards do.

you should shoot them with a bow and arrow. I hear the little buggars make some funny noises and do some neat aerobatics after they've been stuck.

yermom
8/10/2006, 01:57 PM
do they have archery at the Special Olympics?

LoyalFan
8/10/2006, 02:00 PM

Not at all. The area behind the SEEN deer was dense brush with an low earthen dam behind it at perhaps a distance of 20 yards. Besides, there were NO other hunters permitted in that pasture, save for one that was in a tower blind some 400 yards to my rear, and oriented to scan and fire ONLY in the opposite direction, and my allowed field of fire was the 180 degrees opposite his.
There is generally NO foot hunting permitted on most ranches UNLESS a specific area is designated and only ONE hunter (with perhaps a camera person or unarmed individual close BEHIND) may enter the area.
Had that bullet not hit the second deer, it would have never traveled another ten feet before impacting a tree or the earth.

I was in a self-made tree blind, slightly above ground level, BTW, so the bullet trajectory was of a slight down-angle. Also, I KNEW the area well.

Look, the whole point of my original post was to express disappointment, even sadness, that anyone would crack wise about the suffering of a poorly shot animal. Seeing the floppings, writhings, etc. of a suffering critter and hearing it's cries of agony, can appeal only to the basest of human senses.
I'll stand by that assertion as you seek to nitpick MY hunting ethics.

LF

PS: Ain't it funny that Sic'Em can start such threads? First it was one reference his paranoia over a cop asking him for info. Next is was his "Portnoy's" complaints re being stood up on a trip to Branson...now this one...WOW! He knoweth not what he doeth.

lf

Hamhock
8/10/2006, 02:20 PM
Look, the whole point of my original post was to express disappointment, even sadness, that anyone would crack wise about [insert a brazillon sensitive topics that are routinely skewered in the SO]

This is the South Oval.

But, you did more than express disappointment, et. al. You attacked me by stating that I am not a real hunter because I use a bow an arrow.

Truce?

phead903
8/10/2006, 02:37 PM

How about Pushmataha, McCurtain, and Choctaw?:D

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2006, 03:14 PM
This has gone in an unexpected and somewhat disturbing direction.

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2006, 03:15 PM
my main boss lives in waco, right off of the george bush parkway when you are coming in on 84(i think thats the h-way, not sure) and a bobcat gave birth in his backyard last year. and here in abilene, we have a few that live along the creeks that go right through the town. willing to bet that it was a bobcat. its not as unlikely as people think.
I'm not in Waco though, I'm in OK.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2006, 04:16 PM
A lot of us met/saw him at a tailgate.
And how did you learn that, Master RacerX, Soonerwill could look like me in your eyes, if it suited his purposes! And are you yet wise enough to detect all his counterfeits!

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2006, 04:18 PM
And how did you learn that, Master RacerX, Soonerwill could look like me in your eyes, if it suited his purposes! And are you yet wise enough to detect all his counterfeits!

I don't think anyone who has met me could possibly ever mistake me for someone else.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2006, 04:20 PM
Well only nerds will get that was ripped from the Lord of the Rings, it was Gandalf describing Saruman ;) I don't REALLY think you are Soonerwill...everyone knows that was Bri anyway ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2006, 04:28 PM
Well only nerds will get that was ripped from the Lord of the Rings, it was Gandalf describing Saruman ;) I don't REALLY think you are Soonerwill...everyone knows that was Bri anyway ;)
No wonder I didn't get it. I detested Lord of the Rings with a hatred unequaled in the history of human emotion.

LoyalFan
8/10/2006, 05:13 PM
This is the South Oval.

But, you did more than express disappointment, et. al. You attacked me by stating that I am not a real hunter because I use a bow an arrow.

Truce?

HH,
ANY person, armed, and in pursuit of quarry, IS a hunter.
My "attack" (not) was by way of expressing disapproval of opting for weaponry which is more likely to wound, rather than assure a quick and merciful kill, given equal skill levels.
Frankly, I feel that the "primitive weapons" (if you consider bolt-action "Black Powder" weapons complete with bolt-actions and scopes, smokeless propellant pellets, and sophisticated Sabot projectiles AND compound bows with sights, counterweights, and release devices to be primitive weapons) crowd, for the most part, are those who want special seasons just for their enjoyment, and more kills, while their weaponry technology bears little resemblance to truly primitive arms.
Even with the advances in arrow and bow technology, NO stringed weapon can ever guarantee merciful lethality comparable to that of even so ancient a weapon as the venerable Winchester Model 94.
It all comes back to this; How could you exult in the suffering of an arrowed bobcat. OK, even if you now are to claim not to have been entertained by it, why even mention it?
Truce? of course, for there never was a war over this. You are legally entitled to hunt in manner not forbidden by law and I'll defend that to the end.

Peace! (Through superior firepower)
Have a safe season.

LF
1974 all-Belgian-made Browning BAR, .270 Win, Leupold 2.5x8 optics,
Federal Premium 130 grain ammo.
http://www.army-discount.com/Images/Armes_feu/Long/Browning_Bar_mini.JPG
Best 100 yd group thus far, three rounds: 5/8". Last five groups avg.: 1.00" even. The danged gun is farrrrrrr better than the shooter, I admit.