PDA

View Full Version : Any of you TV watchers been watching "Hell's Kitchen?"

Okla-homey
8/8/2006, 04:35 PM
Pretty funny. A bunch of chef wannabees striving to win the "American Idol" of chef-dom. This Limey chef named Gordon Something-or-other (and a very accomplished arsehole bastage) has been treating the contestants like carp throughout the period and they are down to the last two. One is kinda cute in a chef-y kinda way.

Okay, as "reality TV" goes I guess. They get faced with ginormous challenges such as making a meal in 20 minutes out of a random pile of ingredients and it has to taste good or they're gone. Other times they have to serve this restaurant they have set-up in LA for the purpose. Lots of behind the scenes drama and intrigue among the contestants too.

Its on Fox. The big season-ender is next Monday night when one of the remaining two will be crowned (or chef-hatted, whatever) and will get to run her own restaurant on the strip in Vegas.

That is all.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2006, 04:37 PM
I saw the first season and thought it was great, but I haven't seen any of the new season.

I hear he's an even bigger ******* in season 2.

Okla-homey
8/8/2006, 04:38 PM
I saw the first season and thought it was great, but I haven't seen any of the new season.

I hear he's an even bigger ******* in season 2.

He makes Simon Cowell seem like Mr Rodgers.

I still can't believe he gets away with calling the wimmen chefs "cows" when he's p1ssed at them, which is most of the time.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2006, 04:43 PM
He did that last season as well. He made fun of one guy's weight and then let loose some thinly veiled gay bashing at this one guy who was sexually ambiguous.

I thought it was funny, but I'm surprised he got by with it.

mdklatt
8/8/2006, 04:47 PM
I think the elimination last week where Virginia said she wanted to stay after all was staged. I think the producers put her up to it.

Okla-homey
8/8/2006, 04:50 PM
One funny thing that happened this season was about halfway thru a restaurant service, this lady tooled up to the opening b/w the kitchen and dining area thru which Gordon was passing on the plates of chow before passing them off to the waiters. I guess the head chef in nice restaurants is supposed to be that last quality check before a waiter gets the stuff to bring it to the table.

Anyhoo, the lady complained about the way something was cooked or something. She got all up in his grill (no pun intended). She was well-endowed in the chestal area and "they" were just kinda sitting there on the chest-high window ledge. He yelled at her to take her "its" off his window whereupon she shoved several plates full of food at him and onto the kitchen floor.

Blue
8/8/2006, 05:28 PM
Love me some Hells Kitchen.

They have to find some real winners to put up with the **** he gives them. :rolleyes

King Crimson
8/8/2006, 05:32 PM
i worked for an old drunk, old school Italian chef who used to work on the Riviera.....and that show is a sunday school cartoon to the shizz i heard come out of his mouth. we're talking things combining his penis and your close family members and gymnastics....and he liked me and respected my work.

he was a great guy.....but hard as nails. and drunk most of the time. i loved that crazy SOB. Mario Zorzetto, first class lunatic. really talented guy.

LilSooner
8/8/2006, 06:51 PM
I hated how he called Sara a fat cow. I would have punched him in his ugly arse face if he was to say that to me.

Blue
8/8/2006, 06:55 PM
I hated how he called Sara a fat cow. I would have punched him in his ugly arse face if he was to say that to me.

I can't get how anybody with an ounce of self-respect could take that.

Either it's staged or the losers don't realize how un-important this show is in the grand scheme of things.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2006, 07:03 PM
I can't get how anybody with an ounce of self-respect could take that.

Either it's staged or the losers don't realize how un-important this show is in the grand scheme of things.

I think when you're in a competitive environment trying to win something that you really want then you're probably willing to put up with a lot of **** that you wouldn't normally put up wtih.

Blue
8/8/2006, 07:08 PM
I think when you're in a competitive environment trying to win something that you really want then you're probably willing to put up with a lot of **** that you wouldn't normally put up wtih.

However, if you are smart enough to realize your little, "grand prize" is BS and if you're just there to make crappy reality TV show, you might smack a chef in the mouth.

KC//CRIMSON
8/8/2006, 07:44 PM
Top Chef > Hell's Kitchen

Frozen Sooner
8/8/2006, 07:49 PM
I'm guessing that anyone who's worked in a top restaurant before is pretty used to that kind of thing and it just rolls off their back.

Seriously-executive chefs are dicks. It's part of the job description.

Read King Crimson's post. He's one of the few people in the world whose opinion on restaurants and food I take seriously. The guy knows more about the matter than just about anyone I've ever dealt with-and I've worked in more than a few nice restaurants.

King Crimson
8/8/2006, 08:50 PM
I'm guessing that anyone who's worked in a top restaurant before is pretty used to that kind of thing and it just rolls off their back.

bingo.

Blue
8/8/2006, 08:55 PM
bingo.

But would you hire any of these losers on Hells Kitchen, KC?

They seemed to have been plucked for reality entertainment purposes.

The Final 3? A wannabe-gansta man-child, a canniption-having uber-bitch, and a meek, no-confidence having hottie.

Newbomb Turk
8/8/2006, 08:56 PM
Read King Crimson's post. He's one of the few people in the world whose opinion on restaurants and food I take seriously.

good thing, cause he don't know jack about what a good golf course is.

King Crimson
8/8/2006, 09:05 PM
But would you hire any of these losers on Hells Kitchen, KC?

They seemed to have been plucked for reality entertainment purposes.

The Final 3? A wannabe-gansta man-child, a canniption-having uber-bitch, and a meek, no-confidence having hottie.

i haven't seen the show that much. Froz overestimates my skill and knowledge....but i have "been there". the most cutthroat is the one to hire, i guess.

whatever that show was that had Rocco DiSPirito and momma's meatballs was....was totally filmed for effect. they hired people for this HUGE debut opening of a real, legit chef (albeit an annoying one).....who had almost no experience but looked good on camera. i doubt this show is any different.

if things wen't great (like they might with a real management group)....then there would be no show.

King Crimson
8/8/2006, 09:09 PM
rather than watch those shows, if you are at all interested in the sordid business of food....Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential is a pretty good read. he's kind of a self-promoter and overly in love with his cleverness these days.....but he always said he would be.

you could prolly pull a copy off ebay or alibris for 7 bucks. the chapter on kitchen "Discourse" is especially apt.....they ain't listening to Mozart in the kitchen or talking about Plato (unless Plato is one of the dishwasher who just got fired)**.... while you fire up yer credit card for the 300% markup for that bottle of red wine.

**true story: at one time i worked with a Caesar, Erasmus, Julio, Jesus, and Socrates.......talk about a greatest hits of Western Civ.