PDA

View Full Version : Wedding attire

Petro-Sooner
8/8/2006, 10:08 AM
Whats the proper attire to wear to an outdoor wedding in the summer?

Who in there right mind has an outdoor wedding in Oklahoma in the summer
:rolleyes:

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 10:11 AM
What time of day is the wedding?

Petro-Sooner
8/8/2006, 10:11 AM
evening. I think around 7. Have to check the announcment tonight.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/8/2006, 10:30 AM
Congratulations!!!! When did you get engaged?

When I went to an outdoor wedding earlier this summer, the guys were all wearing khakis or khaki shorts and Tommy Bahama shirts and sandals or flip flops. Then we went swimming.

Boomer.....
8/8/2006, 10:35 AM
Definitely casual cause it will be :hot:

Petro-Sooner
8/8/2006, 10:38 AM
I havnt purchased new khakis in a while. For some reason my current ones are shrinking. Pleated or non-pleated? Cuffed or non cuffed?

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 10:49 AM
A 7 p.m. wedding technically still calls for a suit, even if it is Oklahoma and a billion degrees.

Find new friends. You're welcome.

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 10:56 AM
Come to think of it, Harold's probably has some linen suits on sale right now, and linen is fairly comfortable in the heat. Go for a darker color. You can remove the jacket for the reception.

Petro-Sooner
8/8/2006, 11:00 AM
Kinda what I was thinking VK. New friends and the suit. Thanks.

Okla-homey
8/8/2006, 11:03 AM
Starched new Wranglers with creases. Faintsy concho belt with big buckle. Starched western shirt. Bolo tie with turquoise thunderbird. New boots. Big hat.

You're welcome!

proud gonzo
8/8/2006, 11:04 AM
bug spray and nothing else

Petro-Sooner
8/8/2006, 11:06 AM
Homey I've been to the 'cowboy' wedding. I didnt get it but to each there own.

Fugue
8/8/2006, 11:06 AM
dark wool suit with a sweater vest, your welcome.

Petro-Sooner
8/8/2006, 11:07 AM
turtle neck? Its dark purple...................

:D

sooneron
8/8/2006, 11:08 AM
I second the dark suit option, just wear a short sleeved linen shirt underneath it- preferably white or pale blue with a navy suit.

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 11:09 AM
I stand corrected. Wranglers it is.

I once attended a wedding during which the bride wore some white lacy blouse, white Rocky Mountain jeans and white Ropers, and the groom (thanks Fugazzi) wore black Wranglers, black Ropers and a tuxedo jacket. The marriage lasted about a year. What a shock.

Fugue
8/8/2006, 11:10 AM
I stand corrected. Wranglers it is.

I once attended a wedding during which the bride wore some white lacy blouse, white Rocky Mountain jeans and white Ropers, and the goom wore black Wranglers, black Ropers and a tuxedo jacket. The marriage lasted about a year. What a shock.

cause he was a goom

Petro-Sooner
8/8/2006, 11:17 AM
I'll wear the suit I have and just send it to the dry cleaners Monday.

outdoor weddings in August. I mean come on!!!!!!!

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 11:24 AM
I'll wear the suit I have and just send it to the dry cleaners Monday.

outdoor weddings in August. I mean come on!!!!!!!

Oh I've got a better one.

I was once invited to an outdoor wedding in July. At noon. In Houston.

And the bride (who was really just a blooming idiot and more of a high school acquaintance than friend) decided she wanted the wedding party in formal attire. Tuxedos and long gowns. At noon. In Houston. In July. Outside.

If this had been my daughter I would have slapped some sense into her. I politely declined that invitation.

toast
8/8/2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.cloud9weddings.net/images/cowboy%20wedding.jpg

sooneron
8/8/2006, 11:34 AM
Oh I've got a better one.

I was once invited to an outdoor wedding in July. At noon. In Houston.

And the bride (who was really just a blooming idiot and more of a high school acquaintance than friend) decided she wanted the wedding party in formal attire. Tuxedos and long gowns. At noon. In Houston. In July. Outside.

If this had been my daughter I would have slapped some sense into her. I politely declined that invitation.
Hell, chicks can at least wear a strapless dress, it sucks so much more for us. I own a tux, and tried to find the lightest weight I could get, but it's still loads heavier than any suit jacket I have.
I was a groomsman in a formal wedding up here that was on a Sunday at noon in early Sep. It was really friggin humid and I thought I was going to pass out or barf as I had been out til 5 the night before. I looked like *** in every picture from that wedding.

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 11:34 AM
http://www.cloud9weddings.net/images/cowboy%20wedding.jpg

'Dew yew take this mayan?'

Oh I dew! I dew!'

sooneron
8/8/2006, 11:35 AM
http://www.bruskifarm.com/img23.gif

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/8/2006, 11:37 AM
It really depends on the people getting married. Are they wearing tuxes? Are they the type that expect everyone else to go formal?

Not sure why he'd have to wear a hot *** suit in the middle of August. Why couldn't he wear nice khakis and a polo-type shirt. I see people wearing stuff like that all the time.

Here is the best wedding attire evar:
http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/5545/joeholleyweddingnb8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sooneron
8/8/2006, 11:37 AM
RoTFL!!!!!

http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/images/redneck_wedding_reception.jpg

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 11:41 AM
Hell, chicks can at least wear a strapless dress, it sucks so much more for us. I own a tux, and tried to find the lightest weight I could get, but it's still loads heavier than any suit jacket I have.
I was a groomsman in a formal wedding up here that was on a Sunday at noon in early Sep. It was really friggin humid and I thought I was going to pass out or barf as I had been out til 5 the night before. I looked like *** in every picture from that wedding.

I ain't tryin' to be no Emily Post here, but isn't requiring your wedding party to wear tuxedos for a noon wedding a little... inept?

sooneron
8/8/2006, 11:43 AM
I ain't tryin' to be no Emily Post here, but isn't requiring your wedding party to wear tuxedos for a noon wedding a little... inept?
Yes, by Emily's standards I spose it should have been the morning jacket suit thingy tux

toast
8/8/2006, 11:44 AM
'Dew yew take this mayan?'

Oh I dew! I dew!'

and the couple really enjoyed their honeymoon at Silver Dollar City.

sooneron
8/8/2006, 11:44 AM
I went to another wedding where the couple had the time printed an hour early on purpose!! I was really grumpy that morning.

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 11:53 AM
It really depends on the people getting married. Are they wearing tuxes? Are they the type that expect everyone else to go formal?

Not sure why he'd have to wear a hot *** suit in the middle of August. Why couldn't he wear nice khakis and a polo-type shirt. I see people wearing stuff like that all the time.

I don't know his friends... he asked what was the "appropriate" attire (from a wedding etiquette standpoint) for a 7 p.m. wedding and I gave him the answer. For all I know, he could show up in a gorilla mask, elf shoes and a pair of Spongebob boxer shorts and his friends would be fine with it.

And I need to quit telling people what Czar wears to bed, don't I?

Petro-Sooner
8/8/2006, 11:58 AM

Sicem got married?? ;)

toast
8/8/2006, 12:00 PM
I don't know his friends... he asked what was the "appropriate" attire (from a wedding etiquette standpoint) for a 7 p.m. wedding and I gave him the answer. For all I know, he could show up in a gorilla mask, elf shoes and a pair of Spongebob boxer shorts and his friends would be fine with it.

And I need to quit telling people what Czar wears to bed, don't I?

I think I know who he got the elf shoes from...

Scott D
8/8/2006, 12:01 PM
I'd go with the retro Ditka jersey and white shorts....but that's just a suggestion.

mdklatt
8/8/2006, 12:05 PM

Why do you hate SicEmBaylor?

SoonerInKCMO
8/8/2006, 12:29 PM
Outdoor wedding are stupid.

If it's over 75, all the guys will be sweaty.
If it's under 75, all the women will be cold - except for the menopausal ones that will be sweaty if it's over 60.
It could rain.
It could be very windy - possibly causing the bride's gown to get blown over her head. (OK, one positive)
If it's sunny, some fair-skinned people will forget their sunscreen and get burned.
If it's cloudy, the lighting for the pictures will suck.
There will be bugs.
If it's in Florida, part of the wedding party will probably get eaten by a gator.

GDC
8/8/2006, 12:38 PM
I went to one out at the river the other day and wore shorts, but everyone is a hillbilly around here.

BudSooner
8/8/2006, 12:50 PM
Our wedding was outdoors, it almost rained, late march cold fronts suck, skeeters were making an early nuisance of themselves, and in Manford that part of the year..there was alot of fires burning out of control.

Nothing like saying "I do" with the smell of burning grass filling your lungs.

OCUDad
8/8/2006, 12:58 PM
The state should refuse to recognize marriages conducted in cowboy hats of any kind.

GDC
8/8/2006, 01:12 PM

Weddings in general are pointless and stupid.

sooneron
8/8/2006, 01:12 PM

If it's over 75, all the guys will be sweaty.
If it's under 75, all the women will be cold - except for the menopausal ones that will be sweaty if it's over 60.
It could rain.
It could be very windy - possibly causing the bride's gown to get blown over her head. (OK, one positive)
If it's sunny, some fair-skinned people will forget their sunscreen and get burned.
If it's cloudy, the lighting for the pictures will suck.
There will be bugs.
If it's in Florida, part of the wedding party will probably get eaten by a gator.
Uh, OK

Acutally, cloudiness is better for pictures as they diffuse the sun and no shadows on faces.

Maybe we'll just call you Debbie Downer

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 01:17 PM
Come to think of it, Harold's probably has some linen suits on sale right now, and linen is fairly comfortable in the heat. Go for a darker color. You can remove the jacket for the reception.

An afternoon wedding would have allowed seer sucker. But with evening, dark is a must.

Actually, the best idea is to get a baby sitter, skip the wedding and go have a cocktail and then just show up to the reception. Unless the reception is outside in which case you skip both and just continue to have cocktails.

SoonerInKCMO
8/8/2006, 01:38 PM
Uh, OK

Acutally, cloudiness is better for pictures as they diffuse the sun and no shadows on faces.

Maybe we'll just call you Debbie Downer

:les: WHATEVER, MR. PHOTOGRAPHY ******-******* SMARTY PANTS GUY!!

Scott D
8/8/2006, 01:48 PM
I think you all missed the most important fact left in this thread..

Viking Kitten
8/8/2006, 01:48 PM
Actually, the best idea is to get a baby sitter, skip the wedding and go have a cocktail and then just show up to the reception. Unless the reception is outside in which case you skip both and just continue to have cocktails.

I think this is the best advice you've been given yet.