PDA

View Full Version : New Preseason Top 25 from CBS

lubbocksooner
8/8/2006, 09:09 AM
Guys,

If it has not been posted here is a link to a new Top 25 preseason. Dodd has us at 15 going 8-4. I don't think we go 8-4 but 15 is not a bad place to start.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9589934

Fire at will.

southern sooner
8/8/2006, 09:28 AM
Lame poll--- even if WV wins out I wouldnt say they are a lock in the NC Game. Strength of schedule does matter.

jwlynn64
8/8/2006, 10:01 AM
I guess I don't see the difference between OU and Texas but he has man love for Mack Brown's boys? I guess having a Quarterback that has actually played in games is worse than having ones that have never played in a College game. That's some great logic!

John

boomersooner28
8/8/2006, 10:04 AM
Hey...this is actually working to OUr advantage. Now we are the darkhorse again.

These poor people just don't know.

caphorns
8/8/2006, 10:12 AM
I guess I don't see the difference between OU and Texas but he has man love for Mack Brown's boys? I guess having a Quarterback that has actually played in games is worse than having ones that have never played in a College game. That's some great logic!

John

So you don't see an advantage in being backed with pass protection from an experienced OL? Sorry, but it is Football 101. Pass protection takes time to work and is counter-intuitive. UT SHOULD have a better passing game overall because of that fact alone.

I_Live_In_OK
8/8/2006, 10:16 AM
Texas A&M has been lobbied 'the team to watch,' 'most improved team,' 'darkhorse for the title run' every preseason for the last eight years.

ADs_Agent
8/8/2006, 10:21 AM
So you don't see an advantage in being backed with pass protection from an experienced OL? Sorry, but it is Football 101. Pass protection takes time to work and is counter-intuitive. UT SHOULD have a better passing game overall because of that fact alone.

we stick AD on the field by himself and the horns still lose by 20

boomersoonerdude
8/8/2006, 10:22 AM
Give us a good reason to fight harder. I hope we'll quietly spank everbody behind. I can't see the Sooners go 8-4 this year... Do YOU?

My prediction 14-0

caphorns
8/8/2006, 10:24 AM
we stick AD on the field by himself and the horns still lose by 20

That's fresh. I am assuming the purveyor of this poll (and most every poll at this point for that matter) is not a completely biased OU fan.

jwlynn64
8/8/2006, 10:40 AM
That's fresh. I am assuming the purveyor of this poll (and most every poll at this point for that matter) is not a completely biased OU fan.

Why would you think that people posting on "Soonerfans.com" would be Sooner Fans? Maybe that is too counter-intuitive for you. ;)

From all reports, the O-Line should be better this year than last. I also wonder how good Texas' O-Line really is when they don't have a QB that is able to scramble for TDs seemingly at will.

I seem to remember quite a few good plays for Texas that started as broken plays. How does this compute to make Texas a top 5 but OU - 15?

John

caphorns
8/8/2006, 10:51 AM
I think it's pretty simple. I expect you guys to be sooner fans, but it is stupid to complain about an unbiased poll picking the Longhorns over the Sooners right now based on the current facts available. Our OL is certainly more proven than yours. Yes, Vince was a great improvisational player, but you will see many, many plays last year against good defenses where he had all the time in the day.

Sorry if that seems like busting you OU fans balls a bit. Frankly, I wish Texas had more underdog status and it concerns me that the players take too much from the No. 2 Coach's Poll ranking. I do think that one is an anomoly and some of our fans may be in for a big wakeup when tOSU comes to town.

I_Live_In_OK
8/8/2006, 10:53 AM
Ohio St has never won at DKR. In the day. As overdogs.

boomersooner28
8/8/2006, 10:55 AM
Someone explain to me how a team can lose 9 defensive starters and be ranked #1? These pre-season polls are just for fun.

Snrfn4ever08
8/8/2006, 10:55 AM
Ohio St has never won at DKR. In the day. As overdogs.
that's about to change

homerSimpsonsBrain
8/8/2006, 10:57 AM
The only polls that matter happen in December. The early ones that rate OU 1 or 112 are irrelevent.

Snrfn4ever08
8/8/2006, 10:58 AM
just remember the team in 2000 that went from 22 to 1. all we have to do is win and pray to god that the bcs can take care of the rest

caphorns
8/8/2006, 11:03 AM
Someone explain to me how a team can lose 9 defensive starters and be ranked #1? These pre-season polls are just for fun.

Tressel has yet to field a bad defense. Kind of like how Tech can lose every one of their players and still have a good offense the next year.

Albeit I do agree with you somewhat given that tOSU's secondary is very suspect.

sooneron
8/8/2006, 11:05 AM
Why would you think that people posting on "Soonerfans.com" would be Sooner Fans? Maybe that is too counter-intuitive for you. ;)

From all reports, the O-Line should be better this year than last. I also wonder how good Texas' O-Line really is when they don't have a QB that is able to scramble for TDs seemingly at will.

I seem to remember quite a few good plays for Texas that started as broken plays. How does this compute to make Texas a top 5 but OU - 15?

John
Dude, they were PLANNED breakdowns. Didn't you hear? Greg Davis is a genius all of a sudden.

jwlynn64
8/8/2006, 11:24 AM
As much as we like to think that the pre-season poll doesn't mean anything, it really does. Just ask Auburn two years ago. If they has started the season ranked a head of USC or Oklahoma, then the national championship game would probably have had a different team in it (No, I do not actually know if the BCS would have been different but that isn't really the point).

The fact is, the pollsters have problem moving one team over another if they have the same record. The beginning poll can be the difference between 2 and 3 in the final poll.

John

Sooner-N-KS
8/8/2006, 12:17 PM
As much as we like to think that the pre-season poll doesn't mean anything, it really does. Just ask Auburn two years ago. If they has started the season ranked a head of USC or Oklahoma, then the national championship game would probably have had a different team in it (No, I do not actually know if the BCS would have been different but that isn't really the point).

The fact is, the pollsters have problem moving one team over another if they have the same record. The beginning poll can be the difference between 2 and 3 in the final poll.

John

I was going to post pretty much the same thing.

The 2000 team had the advantage over this year in that they had a string of highly ranked teams that they beat. Tejass, Kansas St. and Nebraska were all near the top of the polls, if not #1. This year there isn't a path of highly ranked teams to knock out, with the possible (depending upon the Ohio St. game) exception of Tejass.

The poll that counts right now is the coaches poll. We need a major blowout over UAB so that we don't drop much in that poll.

Osce0la
8/8/2006, 12:40 PM
I'm kinda shocked to see the Noles so high on these polls.

We're #10 in the coaches poll and #12 on this one. We have the talent to be ranked there, but we have done anything with the talent we have for the past 5 years, so I'm kinda shocked the pollsters think that'll change this year...

That being said, OU will not go 8-4 this year...I don't see you guys losing that many games. Only problem is counting on the BCS to help you out from a #15 starting spot is asking a lot...We all know how cracked the BCS is.