PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Beck??

sooneriniowa
8/7/2006, 10:51 PM
Is it possible for him to transfer? If so, would he have to sit out the season?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2542659

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska backup quarterback Harrison Beck is leaving the Cornhuskers.

"I'm disappointed that things occurred the way they did," coach Bill Callahan said after practice Monday. "I was hopeful that [the situation] could be rectified. But it's Harrison's choice."

Callahan said he spoke with Beck earlier in the day and the sophomore would be released from his scholarship.

Beck was a no-show at practice Friday and Saturday.

Beck's mother, Evelyn Beck-Bothwell, told Nebraska media outlets on Saturday that her son was disappointed with the amount of practice repetitions he received the first two days of preseason camp.

Considered one of the top Nebraska recruits in 2005, Beck burned his redshirt late last season when he replaced injured starter Zac Taylor in a 27-25 victory over Kansas State on Nov. 12.

Beck missed his first four passes and threw an interception on the fifth against the Wildcats, then led the Huskers on a seven-play, 55-yard drive, capped by a game-winning 40 yard field goal.

The Clearwater, Fla. native turned down scholarship offers from Florida, Florida State and Miami to come to Nebraska and was ranked as high as No. 3 nationally among pro-style quarterbacks by one recruiting service.

BASSooner
8/7/2006, 10:56 PM
we don't need him

Big Red Ron
8/7/2006, 10:56 PM
I'll take em

westcoast_sooner
8/7/2006, 11:10 PM
I don't think he would be eligible this year anyway. He might be worth a look, though, since you never know when you might need an extra QB.

sooneriniowa
8/7/2006, 11:13 PM
Wasn't necessarily speaking about him going to OU.
He is quite the head case but does have talent from what I've seen.
With so many teams in the Big 12 that have QB issues, having depth could be critical.

soonerinabilene
8/7/2006, 11:56 PM
not showing up to practice just cuz you are not happy with your # of reps isn't exactly going to cause coaches to line up and offer him a transfer scholly.

Big Red Ron
8/8/2006, 12:08 AM
not showing up to practice just cuz you are not happy with your # of reps isn't exactly going to cause coaches to line up and offer him a transfer scholly.If it were any other coach than Callenburger/Blake combo, I could "feel" ya.

:D

TheGodfather889
8/8/2006, 01:25 AM
What are we waiting for? Let's go get Harrison!!:D

Veritas
8/8/2006, 06:50 AM
we don't need him
You don't want him.

Million dolllar talent, 10 cent head.

sooneriniowa
8/8/2006, 08:03 AM
And that would be any different from Retard Boner??

BASSooner
8/8/2006, 12:52 PM
You don't want him.

Million dolllar talent, 10 cent head.
exactly

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 01:24 PM
He is a proven QUITTER....WE don't need anyone that bad...

OU4LIFE
8/8/2006, 01:55 PM
xfer inside the conference = 2 year sit out.

goingoneight
8/8/2006, 02:16 PM
What are we waiting for? Let's go get Harrison!!:D

Harrison Beck, a celebrated recruit from Florida, lead the college football world to believe he is dumb enough to leave a staring position oppurtunity when Senior Zach Taylor, a Norman, OK product, graduates in 2007.

meh... I got nothing

SoonerObsession
8/8/2006, 09:45 PM
I'm astounded that some of you would want this guy. Let's replace one prima donna with another. That sounds like a great plan. :rolleyes:

royalfan5
8/8/2006, 09:51 PM
At least you would have his Mom spouting off instead of the dad, that would be a change of pace from Bomar. All, I know is he identifies himself as an emo kid on facebook, and I don't know if you want emo kids playing QB for you. They usually are all bummed out on life and girls and such. The physical skills are there, so I suppose someone will pick him up. With y'all recently luck with QB's I don't know if y'all need one with a track record of flakyness.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/8/2006, 11:04 PM
If I was OU, Nebraska or any other school, I would attach a "buyer beware" label to any highly touted quarterback recruit. For the most part, everything came easy for them in high school, they were treated as the "big men on campus" and in their hometowns and they have that mentality once they go off to college, simply because they play the most prestigious position in football. But more often than not, it doesn't work out that way. It happened with Rawls, it happened with Bomar and now you see what happens with Beck.
I live in Arkansas, and people there think Mitch Mustain is going to become the greatest quarterback in Razorback history, and he even hasn't played a single down of college football. Check back with me in three years to see if he becomes the "legend" people think he can and will be. Same goes for Jimmy Clausen when he goes to Notre Dame next year.
I'll throw out another cautionary name for you: Gary Brashears, who played high school ball in Clarksville, Ark., and signed (after considering schools such as Michigan) with the Razorbacks back in '99. People thought he would do what they think Mustain will do, but Brashears turned out to be a head case and flunked his first conditioning run on the opening practice of his second year. He soon left Arkansas after that and bounced around at a couple of other schools, now he's a "whatever happened to" waiting to happen.
Here's a list of the QB's who have been under center on the BCS national title teams:
1998: Tee Martin (Tennessee)
1999: Chris Weinke (Fla.State)
2000: Josh Heupel (OU)
2001: Ken Dorsey (Miami)
2002: Craig Krenzel (Ohio State)
2003: Matt Mauck (LSU)
2004: Matt Leinart (USC)
2005: Vince Young (Texas)
Of that list, VY and probably Weinke were truly highly regarded QB's coming out of high school (and Weinke skipped a few years after HS to play professional baseball). Even Leinart didn't set the world on fire in high school. But QB's like Heupel, Dorsey, Krenzel and Mauck had more "intangibles," such as leadership, poise and savvy, than most hotshot QB's ever had. I'll go further back and add Jay Barker (Alabama) and Danny Wuerffel (Florida) to that list. Barker is my definition of a "winning quarterback." His stats weren't great, but he got the job done when it mattered. I would be much better off with a lightly regarded QB than one that's had the world by his oyster since junior high school. That's why I think ENA will succeed far more than people think he will. He's a fighter, not a quitter.

sooneriniowa
8/8/2006, 11:09 PM
xfer inside the conference = 2 year sit out.
Thanks. Wasn't sure what the rules behind Same Conference transfers were.

SCOUT
8/8/2006, 11:20 PM
If I was OU, Nebraska or any other school, I would attach a "buyer beware" label to any highly touted quarterback recruit. For the most part, everything came easy for them in high school, they were treated as the "big men on campus" and in their hometowns and they have that mentality once they go off to college, simply because they play the most prestigious position in football. But more often than not, it doesn't work out that way. It happened with Rawls, it happened with Bomar and now you see what happens with Beck.
I live in Arkansas, and people there think Mitch Mustain is going to become the greatest quarterback in Razorback history, and he even hasn't played a single down of college football. Check back with me in three years to see if he becomes the "legend" people think he can and will be. Same goes for Jimmy Clausen when he goes to Notre Dame next year.
I'll throw out another cautionary name for you: Gary Brashears, who played high school ball in Clarksville, Ark., and signed (after considering schools such as Michigan) with the Razorbacks back in '99. People thought he would do what they think Mustain will do, but Brashears turned out to be a head case and flunked his first conditioning run on the opening practice of his second year. He soon left Arkansas after that and bounced around at a couple of other schools, now he's a "whatever happened to" waiting to happen.
Here's a list of the QB's who have been under center on the BCS national title teams:
1998: Tee Martin (Tennessee)
1999: Chris Weinke (Fla.State)
2000: Josh Heupel (OU)
2001: Ken Dorsey (Miami)
2002: Craig Krenzel (Ohio State)
2003: Matt Mauck (LSU)
2004: Matt Leinart (USC)
2005: Vince Young (Texas)
Of that list, VY and probably Weinke were truly highly regarded QB's coming out of high school (and Weinke skipped a few years after HS to play professional baseball). Even Leinart didn't set the world on fire in high school. But QB's like Heupel, Dorsey, Krenzel and Mauck had more "intangibles," such as leadership, poise and savvy, than most hotshot QB's ever had. I'll go further back and add Jay Barker (Alabama) and Danny Wuerffel (Florida) to that list. Barker is my definition of a "winning quarterback." His stats weren't great, but he got the job done when it mattered. I would be much better off with a lightly regarded QB than one that's had the world by his oyster since junior high school. That's why I think ENA will succeed far more than people think he will. He's a fighter, not a quitter.
I love your post and agree completely. The only problem lies in the evaluation. How does a college coach get a feel for the intangibles of high school QB's?

Desert Sapper
8/9/2006, 03:51 AM
That's why I think ENA will succeed far more than people think he will. He's a fighter, not a quitter.

Last year I thought ENA was going to be our Tee Martin, coming in as a junior and replacing arguably the most decorated QB in school history and leading the team to a MNC behind a dominant D. The TCU game shocked me into giving up my hope. Now I am with you. I hope he proves everybody wrong this year. He's a leader, he has a great supporting cast, the line is better, and the D is awesome. I'm holding onto hope. C'mon Paul.