PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Lips + Tripping Daisy = Freaky

I_SMELL_FEAR
8/7/2006, 07:58 PM
Is there 2 lead singers that sound more alike than Tim Delaughter (Tripping Daisy) and Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips)?

I have been on the Tripping Daisy train since it left the station, but I am embarassingly late to the Flaming Lips party. Other than She Dont use Jelly, I have not heard a lot of them...but it is freaky how close they sound on most songs.

I am freaking out man....

Czar Soonerov
8/7/2006, 08:32 PM
http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/4675/einsteinshowra0.jpg

OU4LIFE
8/8/2006, 07:11 AM
It was actually pretty cool, I mean, i knew it was close, but I didn't know it went in until we drove down to the green.

Everyone should get one at least once.

sooneron
8/8/2006, 07:34 AM
I don't think they sound the same at all. I think Tim's is more even keeled, whereas, Wayne's is more (to use BRJ's descrip) warbly.

Is Tripping Daisy still around? Nm, I just looked them up. I had no idea they stayed together as long as they did. I last saw them at Bryant Park on the 4th of July in 95. They put on a hell of a show at CBGB in 93 or 94.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 08:54 AM
It was actually pretty cool, I mean, i knew it was close, but I didn't know it went in until we drove down to the green.

heh

Hatfield
8/8/2006, 09:07 AM
I don't think they sound the same at all. I think Tim's is more even keeled, whereas, Wayne's is more (to use BRJ's descrip) warbly.

Is Tripping Daisy still around? Nm, I just looked them up. I had no idea they stayed together as long as they did. I last saw them at Bryant Park on the 4th of July in 95. They put on a hell of a show at CBGB in 93 or 94.

Tim began a new band called the polyphonic spree you should check them out. www.thepolyphonicspree.com

sooneron
8/8/2006, 09:12 AM
Tim began a new band called the polyphonic spree you should check them out. www.thepolyphonicspree.com
I've heard of them, I just had no idea that it was some members of TD that formed it.

I_SMELL_FEAR
8/8/2006, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I got some Polyphonic spree....my co-workers hate me for it also. I tried to get them into it by showing them some video of polyphonic spree.

Note to self: Do not try to convince co-workers that polyphonic spree is cool by showing them videos.

I_SMELL_FEAR
8/8/2006, 09:55 AM

Somehow I knew the mere presence of the word flaming would have you come running. ;)

OU4LIFE
8/8/2006, 10:21 AM
flaming to me is like :twinkies: to T......

nevermind.

I_SMELL_FEAR
8/10/2006, 06:38 PM
Hey Sooneron or Hatfield...or anyone else for that matter

Im looking for the last cd from Tripping Daisy - Tripping Daisy...anyone have it?

I've been looking around the internet for it and it appears to be roughly $70.00 freaking dollars.

Anyone? Anyone?.....Bueller?

sooneron
8/10/2006, 07:53 PM
Hey Sooneron or Hatfield...or anyone else for that matter

Im looking for the last cd from Tripping Daisy - Tripping Daisy...anyone have it?

I've been looking around the internet for it and it appears to be roughly $70.00 freaking dollars.

Anyone? Anyone?.....Bueller?
It was titled Tripping Daisy- 70 bucks sounds pricey for an album that's 6 years old and it prolly didn't land them in court!

I don't have anything past their EP that came out around 97. It has a good cover of PIL's Rise and a couple of other decent ditties. You may want to try Dallas stores online or give a few a call. I'm sure they'd ship for pretty cheap.

I've been looking for the Billy Goat cd Bush roaming Mammals. I'll gladly trade a rip of it for some of my stuff.

edit:
I just saw the last TD cd on ebay

sooneron
8/14/2006, 09:54 PM
Oh C'mon! NO ONE has Billy Goat's Bush Roaming Animals??

BigRedJed
9/30/2006, 10:47 AM
Sorry I missed this before... ...Tim Delaughter has cited the Lips as a huge influence on Tripping Daisy. As much for the the way they went about their business as much as anything, if I remember right. They really were in the same scene, of course. TD and the Lips were pretty friendly, I think.

As for Billy Goat, they rocked my face off many times live in Deep Ellum bars, Liberty D's, and VZD's. They were unbelievable. I really thought they would break about the time RHCP were getting huge. I think with RHCP and Faith No More, there just wasn't much more room for the funk thing, but they were worthy of much more commercial success.

I also saw their predecessor band, Ten Hands, many times at places like Club Da Da. They were also tremendous. They had a passionate following that was extremely ****ed when they broke up. Sorry Sooneron, I don't have that one, though...