PDA

View Full Version : bomar and j.d.

okieballin
8/7/2006, 12:11 PM
just heard on the buzz, that bomar and jd are going to tcu. anyone else heard similar news?

PAW
8/7/2006, 12:14 PM
It's all speculation at this point. Whoever they want to play for would have to apply to the NCAA to have them reinstated. No guarantees the NCAA would do that.

CoSooner
8/7/2006, 12:14 PM
it is my understanding that they have to be reinstated by the NCAA first… that will take a long time. Neither one of them will be playing football this year

soonerinabilene
8/7/2006, 12:19 PM
in order for the ncaa to reinstate them, they would first have to pay back the entire amount of money they were overpaid, i believe. they could go to naia without having to do that.

PAW
8/7/2006, 12:19 PM
Bomar faces long road back to college football

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

If former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar decides to transfer and play football at another NCAA institution, he will have to clear some hurdles. Since Oklahoma has declared him ineligible, Bomar more than likely will have to repay the money he shouldn't have received from working at a car dealership, then seek reinstatement from the NCAA.

Bomar, who was one of the country's most highly recruited quarterbacks two years ago and started 11 games for the Sooners as a freshman in 2005, was permanently dismissed from the team by Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops on Wednesday. The school said Bomar and sophomore offensive lineman J.D. Quinn violated NCAA rules by working at a car dealership in Norman, Okla., and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."

It is unclear what Bomar's immediate plans are. He and his father, Jerry Bomar, who coached him at Grand Prairie (Texas) High School, have not returned telephone calls seeking comment.

But Bomar undoubtedly faces a long road before he plays college football again. Erik Christianson, a spokesman for the NCAA, said student-athletes who are declared ineligible by their schools can't participate in intercollegiate athletics at another school without first seeking reinstatement. Christianson said the rules cover NCAA Division I-A, I-AA, II and III schools.

"If a student-athlete does something to render himself or herself ineligible, if they violate a bylaw or take an extra benefit, the athlete's institution must apply for reinstatement," Christianson said, not speaking about Bomar specifically. "It's the institution that seeks reinstatement. A student-athlete can't seek reinstatement on behalf of himself or herself."

Christianson said the NCAA's reinstatement staff can render three verdicts on an application for reinstatement: full reinstatement; reinstatement with conditions, such as paying back extra benefits or game suspensions; or lifetime ineligibility.

Student-athletes can appeal verdicts to the NCAA's student-athlete reinstatement committee, which consists of various personnel from NCAA institutions and conferences. The committee's decision is final. In August 2004, the reinstatement committee declared receivers Jeremy Bloom of Colorado and Mike Williams of Southern California permanently ineligible. Bloom violated NCAA rules, the committee ruled, because he signed endorsement contracts for skiing, jeopardizing his eligibility to play football for the Buffaloes. Williams was declared ineligible after he signed with an agent and accepted money from the agent when declaring for the NFL draft.

If Bomar is reinstated and transfers to another Division I school, he would be required to sit out this season. The NCAA does allow a one-time transfer from Division I to I-AA, but a student-athlete must meet four conditions: the student-athlete has two years of eligibility remaining; he or she has not transferred previously from a four-year institution; he or she is in good academic standing and meets progress toward degree requirements; and the former school has released the student-athlete from his or her scholarship.

If Bomar were to transfer to a two-year junior college, he still would have to be reinstated by the NCAA before playing at another one of its member schools. His other options include playing for an NAIA school, which isn't subject to NCAA rules, or entering the NFL draft in two years.

Flagstaffsooner
8/7/2006, 12:25 PM
tcu- oh! the irony of it all.

Soonermagik
8/7/2006, 12:29 PM
hmmm... The guy made a huge mistake, but I don't want to ruin his whole career over it. I wish him the best in luck.

jdsooner
8/7/2006, 12:30 PM
Maybe they can get work at a Metroplex car dealership!

Flagstaffsooner
8/7/2006, 12:46 PM
hmmm... The guy made a huge mistake, but I don't want to ruin his whole career over it. I wish him the best in luck.
Hey, he was given the Golden Seat to sit on and he screwed the pooch. No sympathy here.

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 01:07 PM
Hey, he was given the Golden Seat to sit on and he screwed the pooch. No sympathy here.
i couldn't have put it any better myself

Sooner_Havok
8/7/2006, 04:38 PM
If Bomar were to transfer to a two-year junior college, he still would have to be reinstated by the NCAA before playing at another one of its member schools. His other options include playing for an NAIA school, which isn't subject to NCAA rules, or entering the NFL draft in two years.

Actually he could enter the draft after this year if he really wanted. He graduated High School the same year as AD. The NFL rule says you have to be out of high school for three years, not be a junior in college or anything.

Tear Down This Wall
8/7/2006, 05:11 PM
Quinn's dad played for TCU in the mid-1970s. Bomar's dad undoubtedly has some contacts with Patterson via coaching clinics around the metroplex throughout the years. Not surprising. But, will the NCAA let the back? That's the question.

Miko
8/7/2006, 05:55 PM
TCU, that should work. There have to be lots of car dealerships in the metroplex. They might be able to "work" at several simultaneously.

OKC-SLC
8/7/2006, 10:11 PM
yep.

soonerjoker
8/8/2006, 09:50 AM
there's lotsa car lots (we tote the note) on 28th st. , & some on main, just north of down town ft. worth.

plenty of job oppurtunities, especially if they're bi-lingual.

yermom
8/8/2006, 10:14 AM
TCU, that should work. There have to be lots of car dealerships in the metroplex. They might be able to "work" at several simultaneously.

as mad as this thing still makes me, this is funny

soonerjoker
8/8/2006, 10:17 AM
my BAD; i missed the post by Miko.

zeke
8/8/2006, 10:30 AM
who are these guys, bomar & j.d.? i dont remember them.

Snrfn4ever08
8/8/2006, 10:43 AM
there's lotsa car lots (we tote the note) on 28th st. , & some on main, just north of down town ft. worth.

plenty of job oppurtunities, especially if they're bi-lingual.
aren't you born bilingual in texas? bomar should already have that down:D

Katy's Most Wanted
8/8/2006, 11:05 AM
The word i got was that Patterson thought about it and then the admin got involved and said no.
but then what do i know????

MiccoMacey
8/8/2006, 11:11 AM
He's a kid that made a mistake. I've made plenty in my life.

I wish him luck, and hope he matures and learns from this. It does no one any good to have them not learn a lesson and become better people in our society.

Desert Sapper
8/8/2006, 11:20 AM
I put these guys in the Marcus Dupree category. I would rather not talk about them because to do so makes me angry.

Then again, according to the Boz's book, this whole payment in excess thing is nothing new...

Snrfn4ever08
8/8/2006, 11:20 AM
He's a kid that made a mistake. I've made plenty in my life.

I wish him luck, and hope he matures and learns from this. It does no one any good to have them not learn a lesson and become better people in our society.
maybe i just have this point of view because i'm younger than he is, but "He's a kid that made a mistake" just doesn't work for me

47straight
8/8/2006, 11:30 AM
I was actually thinking that TCU might make sense for Bomar. Maybe being closer to home will keep him in line a little better.

Desert Sapper
8/8/2006, 11:31 AM
It looks like Texas A&M Commerce is trying to get OU to reinstate Bomar to them (or however that should be phrased). Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/08/05/bc.fbc.bomar.a.m.commerce.ap/index.html)

meoveryouxinfinity
8/8/2006, 11:35 AM
lol @ texas CHRISTIAN taking in these crooks

heheh.

footballfanatic
8/8/2006, 11:41 AM

Why so gracious towards him? He set the Sooner QB situation back by several years.

MiccoMacey
8/8/2006, 02:13 PM
Why so gracious towards him? He set the Sooner QB situation back by several years.

I can't answer that for Soonermagik, but for myself it's because I realize OU football isn't as important as some other things in life (such as this message board :D).

Sports are a means to teach kids some great tools to be used in life. Teamwork, dilligence, work ethics, etc. There is no cutoff age when sports can no longer teach people these tools - hopefully they can learn from this and become better people.

I'm not giving Bomar and Quinn a free pass...they made a mistake and they need to be punished for it.

But how shallow would I be if I couldn't forgive them and wish them luck, especially knowing some of the shenanigans I've pulled in my youth. Some of those were pretty costly to others, yet they showed me compassion and forgiveness.

pb4ou
8/8/2006, 02:41 PM
The word i got was that Patterson thought about it and then the admin got involved and said no.
but then what do i know????

I heard that mentioned on a Dallas station earlier today also.

Snrfn4ever08
8/8/2006, 02:43 PM
But how shallow would I be if I couldn't forgive them and wish them luck, especially knowing some of the shenanigans I've pulled in my youth. Some of those were pretty costly to others, yet they showed me compassion and forgiveness.
maybe i've just yet to go through some of these things myself, but i that it's hard to have compassion or forgiveness for either one of these idiots.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/8/2006, 02:52 PM
Oh come on now, they made a mistake that didn't cost anyone their lives. They are fools to be sure but our very own president had a cocaine addiction and look at where he is now. I hope these two end up playing somewhere and I hope they turn out allright regardless of how much heartache they have caused Sooner Nation. Buy the Sooners Legends DVD and I think you will understand that our University is like a family. I hope that Bomar and Quinn both can both grow and learn from this situation.

Snrfn4ever08
8/8/2006, 02:55 PM
Oh come on now, they made a mistake that didn't cost anyone their lives. They are fools to be sure but our very own president had a cocaine addiction and look at where he is now. I hope these two end up playing somewhere and I hope they turn out allright regardless of how much heartache they have caused Sooner Nation. Buy the Sooners Legends DVD and I think you will understand that our University is like a family. I hope that Bomar and Quinn both can both grow and learn from this situation.
i don't necessarily wish anything bad on them, but i wouldn't be upset to see their entire careers flushed down the toilet.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/8/2006, 03:28 PM
Well I don't even want their careers ruined really. I mean, most people on here will agree when I say that Bomar is one of the toughest SOB's to ever play QB at OU. There was so many times last year..I was at least 90% sure he wasn't getting up. That also makes you realize how blessed we have been under Stoops. I mean Jason was obviously tough after coming back from 2 knee surgeries. Nate Hybl took some epic beatings and Josh Heupel basically played half of his last season with no strength in his elbows. The thing is that Bomar gave me a year of amazing memories and those won't ever go away.