PDA

View Full Version : Sports Blitz and You Make The Call

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 09:05 AM
Did anyone in or around Tulsa watch this last night? The passes they showed PT completing were all low (shoestring catches by TE's), and they said that he had the most success running the ball after fake handoffs to AD. They also said that the two times he tried to go deep, the passes were incomplete, but that they could not be sure whether this was bc of PT's bad throws, or the fact that he was throwing against the nation's top defense. This was all from the Friday practice.

Now, as an OU fanatic, I am 100% behind PT. However, I have to wonder how long we will wait to let him "mature." In reality, the only experience this guy has is mop up duty in a few games here and there two years ago. He has no real experience at the college level playing full games. Thus he will be like The Dumbass was last year, at best. He will need several games to get the feel of the speed of the game at QB, and to get comfortable in the pocket. Further, there is only so many times we can run options and fakes to AD, however I see this as being very effective against the first few teams we play, and at random times against higher level opponents.

Thus, if he looses against UAB, UW, and Oregon, do we send him packing back to WR? Do we call for his head earlier than that? Do we give him the entire season, regardless of his record?

I know this is a doomsday sounding question, but I dont expect him to come out and play the first few games like a seasoned QB. Actually, I expect him to make some throws and decisions that make him look like what he is...a rookie QB. Given that OU fans tend to be extremely impatient, and only accept winning/domination (has Stoops spoiled us?), how long will it take before we are demanding to see more Halzle or to rip the red shirt off of Bradford?

sooneron
8/7/2006, 09:06 AM
Maybe we should just call off the season.

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 09:19 AM
Maybe we should just call off the season.

Obvioulsy, Im not saying we should call off the season. I'm just saying that people need to realize that PT is not a season QB and that he will need most of the year to look like a QB of OU caliber.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/7/2006, 09:24 AM
We still have roughly a month for him to practice against the #1 defense in th nation. He is throwing all day everyday im sure.

He will be fine

oKOIhoma fan
8/7/2006, 09:29 AM
is the fact that the defense has a bunch of studs, and will be much improved. Throw in the fact that AD will be healthy and that the WRs are expirenced means that all PT has to do is get the ball in their hands. Last year I think he kinda forced it. I also think Bob knows we got it going on and that we still have legitimate a chance, or else I think he would go with the freshman QB. Its going to be a great season yall!

MamaMia
8/7/2006, 09:29 AM
My brother says we have to bring back some wishbone type plays because if he cant pass then thats a good way to keep 'em guessing.

Why did we recruit a QB who cant pass? :confused:

sooneron
8/7/2006, 09:36 AM
I believe that Friday was his second practice since Dec., was it not? I don't think ANYONE is expecting 300+ yards a game passing out of him. If we get 200, we'll win most of the time, if not, nearly all the time. If yoou factor in another 200 for rushing via AD et al. I have serious doubts that we lose to UAB or UW, they just aren't that well rounded and good. If we do lose either of those games, we have serious issues with more spots on the team than the qb.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/7/2006, 09:37 AM
Why did we recruit a QB who cant pass? :confused:

He was listed as an athlete coming out of high school.

He played alot of QB,WR,...etc in high school

Blues1
8/7/2006, 09:40 AM
Didn't see the OU sports clip you are talking about but I would think we have to give PT at least 3 games maybe even 4 or 5 - and then IF you go that Long might as well let him ride out the whole Season...It's up to the Whole team to bring home Victories - IF the Defense does it's Job PT has more room to grow....We have to face the fact we may have a 8 -4 or 9- 3 season.

I would think after everything that's happen getting to a Bowl game and being in top twenty at the end of the year we would have successful year...

Rock On'

Widescreen
8/7/2006, 09:48 AM
I'm far more concerned with our OL than with PT. With a solid OL, I think most of our QB's could be serviceable. Unfortunately, losing Quinn and some of our other attrition will make things really uncomfortable for an inexperienced QB.

sooneron
8/7/2006, 09:59 AM
I'm far more concerned with our OL than with PT. With a solid OL, I think most of our QB's could be serviceable. Unfortunately, losing Quinn and some of our other attrition will make things really uncomfortable for an inexperienced QB.
Yep, The OL is a huge question mark now that Quinn is gone too. Before they were a mild question mark as we saw improvement in April. Simmons isn't projected to be back until a few weeks into the season.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/7/2006, 10:25 AM
They showed about 2 passes. You can really tell alot from 2 passes.

Soonermagik
8/7/2006, 10:27 AM
For some reason I see PT throwing lots of shorts routes to TE's, quick slants, some boot leg stuff, occasional option etc.. I don't think he's a pocket passer, but he might do okay with the short stuff. If you look at Heupel he didn't have a huge arm. However, he had a solid defense and good sesne.

I'm not saying we will win a championship with PT, but he should be able to do okay. Worst case scenario Juco Joey comes in to take over.

picasso
8/7/2006, 10:32 AM
the Tulsa market has been showing the same clip of PT throwing to Finely and the ball nearly hits him in the feet.
I'm sure he's just not stepping into his throws often enough (much like Bomar early last year).
I'm honestly not expecting PT to light it up passing the ball.

umberto
8/7/2006, 10:57 AM
I think PT needs to get more comfortable with the offense and make quicker decisions. In the TCU game he seemed to be incredibly afraid of making a mistake, which led to hurried throws at the last minute. If he makes a quicker decision, maybe he will have more time to set himself and make a good throw before the rush hammers him. Of course having a decent line and experienced receivers will make a world of difference over last year at this time.

picasso
8/7/2006, 11:13 AM
I think PT needs to get more comfortable with the offense and make quicker decisions. In the TCU game he seemed to be incredibly afraid of making a mistake, which led to hurried throws at the last minute. If he makes a quicker decision, maybe he will have more time to set himself and make a good throw before the rush hammers him. Of course having a decent line and experienced receivers will make a world of difference over last year at this time.
don't you think part of that was due to the QB competition last season? I hope so.
one thing about Bomar, he was a competitor and tough as nails. I hope we see that out of PT.

soonerinabilene
8/7/2006, 12:03 PM
look, i know that its not the same running a play from the slot as it is from behind the center, but the guy does have a full season of game experience from last year. he knows the speed of the game, he has to know the routes ALOT better since he freakin ran them for a year. give him this time(thats why its called practice) to get used to taking snaps and throwing the ball again. once he gets used to doing that again, he's going to be fine. he's not going to be the wide-eyed, so nervous he cant do anything right, starting for the first time guy that he was against tcu.

85Sooner
8/7/2006, 12:45 PM
don't you think part of that was due to the QB competition last season? I hope so.
one thing about Bomar, he was a competitor and tough as nails. I hope we see that out of PT.

I agree with this a bit.Paul has never been a pocket passer and I don't expect him to be either. That said I know he can pass better than the old wishbone QB's of the past.

With this new OL I don't expect him to have a whole lot of time to go through 3 or 4 reads.

It kinda like troy aikman. He was great behind a line that could allow him a 7 step drop. When the lines size and experience strated to wane so did troys performance.

As much as I would hope, i do think it will take a couple 3 games for us to get a real read on the rest of the season. Alot depends on the OL bliocking schemes, and Kevin wilsons game plans. If Chuck were still here I would be more worried. He seemed very set in his ways and theories. I can tell you the first Boo I hear is gonna be met with something more than a dirty look.

FaninAma
8/7/2006, 01:09 PM
It's like last year never even happened in regards to maturation of our QB.

I don't know how OU arrived at this situation. Once QB was a solid position with depth and returning experience for years to come just as recently as last summer it is now the biggest question mark on the team.

Why?

The Maestro
8/7/2006, 01:12 PM
Once QB was a solid position with depth and returning experience for years to come just as recently as last summer it is now the biggest question mark on the team.

Why?

Quitters and idiots.

JohnnyMack
8/7/2006, 01:20 PM
It's like last year never even happened in regards to maturation of our QB.

I don't know how OU arrived at this situation. Once QB was a solid position with depth and returning experience for years to come just as recently as last summer it is now the biggest question mark on the team.

Why?

Tommy Grady is a bitch.

Rhett Bomar is an idiot.

Socrefbek
8/7/2006, 01:48 PM
Tommy Grady is a bitch.

Rhett Bomar is an idiot.

You forgot. Rawls was a moron.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/7/2006, 01:50 PM
and Noah Allen got caught juicing

Collier11
8/7/2006, 02:15 PM
Paul will be fine!!! The guy hasnt thrown a meaningful pass in almost a year, give him some time. He has the intangibles that you need in a qb that cant be taught and learned, the accuracy and such can be taught and learned. He will never be a 65% completion qb like jason most likely but if he can lead this team and not turn the ball over, that is all we need. Dont look past the fact of what Kevin Wilson did at Northwestern with far less talent, I can see Paul breaking some qb runs, throwing some shovel passes for big gains to AD, and some screen passes that will make him look like a superstar so just give him time guys

ashley
8/7/2006, 03:30 PM
Fanin, I will tell you why. It is very hard if not almost impossible to recruit a big name QB when you have a incombent that is suppose to be around for a long time and is also suppose to be a star. Same with tailbacks. Look at the situation at TU.

goingoneight
8/7/2006, 09:41 PM
one thing about Bomar, he was a competitor and smart as a rock. I hope we see that out of PT.

fixed...

CtheB
8/8/2006, 08:37 AM
What is forgotten in this deal is that I truly believe that Wilson will do everything in his power to get PT into a situation he works best. PT is not White, Heupel and Hybl and will not function well in that offense. The visit to the Broncos camp is big, and it shows me they are going to get him on the run and out of the pocket. With a developing Oline, this is imperative.

For this, our offense is already strides ahead of last year, where we didn't adjust our schemes until the third week of the season.

PT will be fine. He doesn't need to beat people with his arm, only make them respect it. With Gresham's emergence as a big target, let's see someone stack the line. Let's see an OC that actually understands the importance of a TE in an I formation offense, unlike last year's (or four). Let's see someone tell a LB to jam the TE AND watch for AD.

For some reason, I think the combo of Wilson and Thompson may turn out to be really good for our offense, but I reserve all optimism.

If Paul can hit on 50-55% of his throws and get us a 120-140 yards a game, that will be enough to win em all but two.

And I think he can do it.