PDA

View Full Version : ozone worth it?

Egeo
8/6/2006, 11:24 PM
is the content really really good?
can you give me some examples of whats in it?

ive seen lsu's through a buddy and its got recruit highlight vids and just important highlights that have happened recently
in good quality - and i believe he can watch full games without commercials (after said game is played)

Snrfn4ever08
8/6/2006, 11:45 PM

ive seen lsu's through a buddy and its got recruit highlight vids and just important highlights that have happened recently
in good quality - and i believe he can watch full games without commercials (after said game is played)
yea, i wouldn't mind knowing myself

starclassic tama
8/6/2006, 11:45 PM
i know you can watch full games with ozone... i used a friends awhile back and i thought it was pretty cool. hard to say whether or not you think it would be worth your money though....

AlbqSooner
8/7/2006, 06:15 AM
No question in my mind. It is one of The Lost Planet Airmen's best.

Miko
8/7/2006, 07:01 AM
No question in my mind. It is one of The Lost Planet Airmen's best.

Is that the one with Seeds and Stems Again and Two Triple Cheese, Side Order of Fries ??

:cool:

ouflak
8/7/2006, 08:47 AM
I tried to reply earlier, but my rant caused a crash....

http://www.ukflak.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/OzoneRantCausedACrash1.jpg

I'll try to post my replay again later when I'm home.

MamaMia
8/7/2006, 09:35 AM
We got the O Zone and love it. We were able to watch every home basketball game the girls played. It was great. I wish they could stream the away games and have videos of all the interviews instead of just the sound, because you lose so much without seeing the body language and expressions of the team members. They do have the live videos of the weekly press conferences but after its over they change it to just sound.

They send you emails anytime something happens, which is nice too. It keeps you on top off things. You guys would be surprised how much more I know than you do.

Just kidding...:P

They have podcast now. I dont know what that is though.

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 10:14 AM
I get the o zone every year for the football season. Its really nice bc you can re watch all of the games. The bad thing is that they are set up so that its hard to move right to a specific point in the game to watch specific plays.

The real bonus is that you get the weekly press conferences live.

However, I may not get it this year, bc I have an HDTV recorder, which is all I really use o zone for (rewatching games).

I just need to find a way to get those damn press conferences.....:pop:

Flagstaffsooner
8/7/2006, 12:29 PM
Anyone else got that netscape thing on flaks post?

sooner_born_1960
8/7/2006, 12:32 PM
I do.

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 01:09 PM
Anyone else got that netscape thing on flaks post?
i do

ouflak
8/7/2006, 01:27 PM
ozone worth it?

Since my earlier rant caused a crash, which subsequently caused a very confusing graphic which blended so well into the backgroud that people thought their Netscape crashed (even if they weren't running Netscape), I'm just going to sum up my likes and dislike in fragment sentences and try to stay off the soapbox.

1. Good content of stuff that is not their own original work. Especially Volleyball, Baseball and Soccer.

2. Not the worst response to feedback, atleast as far as timeliness is concerned.

3. Get to replay stuff at own desire.

Dislikes:

1. No live Football and men's Basketball of any kind whatsoever. Also many women's games are not broadcast. Still grumble about how misleading they've been about that. Especially when I first signed up a couple of years ago.

2. No low bandwidth streams, which means if internet has issues anywhere between me and them, or at either end, then I don't get my money's worth.

3. No way to download content, probably because of copyright concerns, which is idiotic as I can record the stuff off of TV onto my harddrive, DVD, CD, ... etc, etc... as I wish. And that doens't cost me $10 a month!

4. No direct affiliation with OU no matter how much they want you to believe there is. It's a company that provides likewise services to several schools. Means that they really don't care about OU-specific requests, which is unfortunate.

5. No guaranteed broadcast of anything. If OU decides to sell out its live broadcast to somebody else who offers more money, they'll yank the OZone broadcast and all of the rest of us are just screwed. Has happend way to often (not only with OZone, but with Yahoo as well). Sad that OU has sold out so completely.

6. Historical content (pre 2001) sucks something awful. Not worth waste of bandwidth.

I'm going to give them until the first game or two of the football season. If I'm still unable to view the streams, well there is no real reason for me to give them anymore money. Too bad, but I barely could use it last year because of this poor consideration for reasonable service.

batonrougesooner
8/7/2006, 01:38 PM
I thought it was great while I was living in Baton Rouge. I could watch Stoops' replay show and the press conferences as mentioned.

I'm sure I'll continue my subscription now that I'm back in OKC.

King Crimson
8/7/2006, 01:43 PM
no live baskbetball or football? i thought that was the major draw.

Egeo
8/9/2006, 12:31 AM
but could i watch a full game say from .... 2002?

also, im only interested for football content

ouflak
8/9/2006, 04:28 AM
no live baskbetball or football? i thought that was the major draw.

Yeah, when they first started, they pretty much made you believe that that was the main feature you were getting when you first shelled over your money. What a pleasant surprise to find out that wasn't true. Ahhhh... such a relaxing memory that is....

[rant]Anyway, this year they actually finally come out and say that they don't show live coverage of Football or men's Basketball. Further, although they don't come right out and say this, they imply the reason behind all of this is that OU has whored itself shamelessly. Which is true. I swear, I think they have about 5 - 10 layers of contracts and subcontracts dealing with who gets to broadcast the games, each of them with the escape clause that if somebody comes along with a suitcase full of enough money, then that's who gets to broadcast the game! :mad: What this means is that I can subscribe to Yahoo, CSTV, ESPN Broadband, OZone, etc, etc,... and STILL HAVE NO GUARANTEE that I will actually get to see/hear an OU event. Even worse, any planned live broadcast can get yanked at the last moment. It's very frustrating. I'm a lifelong fan. That will never change. I just suspect the day is soon coming that I will simply never be able to get a live broadcast of an OU game. It won't be a matter of money, which I'm willing to spend. It will just be that they have tied themselves into so many damned broadcast contracts for $$$$$$$$ that the only people who will get to actually see/hear the games will have to physically be in the stadium.[/endrant]

... *sigh* ... Anyway, none of that is really OZone's fault. Well, them being so misleading is there fault. Anyway, no live broadcasts of of Football or Men's basketball, and no guaranteed broadcast of whatever they do actually schedule.

but could i watch a full game say from .... 2002?

also, im only interested for football content

Well, if you've got the bandwidth, or they improve their service so that you can download the contenet, then yes, this is excellent. You can replay every game quarter-by-quarter, any time you like. If that's what you want, it's definitely worth it. You also get condensed highlights of the games which 85% of the time are pretty good.

Also, although you're not interested (somebody else might be), most of the time if they do show a sport live, you get archived access to that as well. I really like this, since I often can't catch broadcasts that are very late in the evening U.S. time (very, very early morning my time). I can watch the archive any time I like, ... as long as the internet is willing to cooperate.

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2006, 07:34 AM
It's not too bad, but I can completely understand flak's frustrations. I've used it to rewatch football games and some of the highlights but that's about it.

pgagolfpro77
8/9/2006, 08:03 AM
Summary:

Ozone is not worth it if you have a way to record the games on some other medium.

If you live somewhere where they dont broadcast the games, however, it gaines a smidge more value.

:pop:

arkbengal
8/9/2006, 10:10 AM

Actually I think you can watch the LSU games live on Geaux Zone but I've seen mixed reviews on the quality and reliability of the feed.