PDA

View Full Version : Major oil shutdown in Alaska...

OklahomaTuba
8/6/2006, 10:39 PM
Prudhoe bay just shut down. Its the largest domestic oil field we have.

Considering what the north slope means to our oil supply, you might want to keep an eye on those gas prices.

royalfan5
8/6/2006, 10:40 PM
Prudhoe bay just shut down.

Considering what the north slope means to our oil supply, you might want to keep an eye on those gas prices.
Here's a link.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a4sIj4Dr47BY&refer=home
corrosion appears to be the culprit.

BudSooner
8/6/2006, 10:49 PM
****, this and if we get a major hurricane in the near future..$5 a gallon gas.

OklahomaTuba
8/6/2006, 10:52 PM
Damn.

This really sucks. Very Very bad news.

Later this month, we are going to have to put sanctions on Iran as well. #4 in the world in exporting oil.

Expect Hugo and Iran to team up to **** with their exports in an effort to hurt us all if that happens.

I wonder how long before we start seeing gas lines?

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/6/2006, 11:12 PM
You'd be surprised how quickly oil companies can get things accomplished when oil is this pricey and fields are shut in. I'm sure there are fees they can pay to the gov't to get inspections expedited... expidited? enquickened.

yermom
8/6/2006, 11:15 PM
you'd think Beano used to work for an oil company or something

Mongo
8/6/2006, 11:19 PM
Closure of some 400,000 barrels a day of output, or 8 percent of the nation's total, after a leak will take ``days,'' field operator BP, based in London, said in a statement through PRNewswire. The company doesn't know when production will resume

This may suck for a while, but the folks in the oil industry(especially BP, a very large oil entity) will bust their ace to fix the problem. Just think, if your company had to fix a problem in their biggest money making market that produced the most revenue, how quick would they fix it?

If these leaks are a problem in casing of a well or two(casing=pipe that is placed in a well to bring up oil/gas from a producing geological formation), it will only take a couple of days/weeks to fix. If the leaks are in a transfer pipe line, it wont take long to replace that either.

Besides, we all know how evil oil companies are, they wont go long without missing some capital from their investments.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/6/2006, 11:20 PM
you'd think Beano used to work for an oil company or something

Yeah, but that was back when the oil was still walking around in dinosaur form.

AlbqSooner
8/6/2006, 11:26 PM
I recall reading a few years ago that the production from Prudhoe was transported down the pipeline and loaded onto tankers bound for Japan, etc. Is that not still the case?

royalfan5
8/6/2006, 11:30 PM
I recall reading a few years ago that the production from Prudhoe was transported down the pipeline and loaded onto tankers bound for Japan, etc. Is that not still the case?
It's still pulling supply out of the world market. That gap will have to be made up from somewhere.

olevetonahill
8/6/2006, 11:31 PM
I don't care if it goes to 20 bucks a gal.
Ive installed an electric fuel pump where I can pull up beside you car, place a small hose in your tank and pump it dry Oh and if you think A locking gas cap will stop me , think again . Just under that is a rubber hose that all I have to do is make a small hole in . so while your watching a movie or eating out Im filling up :eek:
I haven't done this But it is that easy :P
With the price getting so high I just thought I would warn Y'all:cool:
Kinda like the phone tap thing

SCOUT
8/6/2006, 11:32 PM
they can pay to the gov't to get inspections expedited... expidited? enquickened.

I may be naive but there are always issues with complex mechanical operations and repairs are appropriately prioritized. These will be fixed in short order.

With that said, the above quote made me laugh enough to come back and post in this thread.

nanimonai
8/7/2006, 07:57 AM
Sucks for that dude in the Hummer next to me at the gas pump this morning.

OklahomaTuba
8/7/2006, 08:40 AM
You'd be surprised how quickly oil companies can get things accomplished when oil is this pricey and fields are shut in. I'm sure there are fees they can pay to the gov't to get inspections expedited... expidited? enquickened.

I'd have more confidence if it was someone other than BP.

BP is f'ed up. They have more problems than they should have, and they don't like to spend a lot of money either.

Hopefully they can get it fixed before the next hurricane comes down in the gulf, or before this happens:

Mr Larijani also served warning that Iran would retaliate if the world imposed sanctions. “We will react in a way that would be painful for them. They should not think that they can hurt us and we would stand still without a reaction.

“We do not want to use the oil weapon. Do not force us to do something that will make people shiver in the cold. We do not want that,” he said.

Experts are divided over whether Iran would carry out its threat to withhold oil sales as a political weapon. The dispute with Iran is already responsible for pushing crude oil prices up to record levels.

As Iran is the fourth largest Opec exporter, a freeze on oil sales could push up prices even further and could trigger an energy crisis.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,251-2301870,00.html

JohnnyMack
8/7/2006, 08:56 AM
Clearly Cheney's hurricance creation machine is on the fritz as evidenced by Chris' premature fizzling out last week. Looks like they've turned to their old tried and true methods of jacking up prices, government contracted ninjas.

OklahomaTuba
8/7/2006, 09:05 AM
Clearly Cheney's hurricance creation machine is on the fritz as evidenced by Chris' premature fizzling out last week. Looks like they've turned to their old tried and true methods of jacking up prices, government contracted ninjas.

Oh come on, there HAS to be some levees Bush and Haliburton can blowup somewhere?

Maybe the leaks in the pipelines in Alaska are this years attempt at killing brown people for oil..The Eskimos! Next to the rag headed brown people, who has more oil???

He also gets to exact some revenge on the moose and raindeer that keep him and his cronies from turning the vast northern paradise on into a hellish oil drilling no man's land.

:pop:

Petro-Sooner
8/7/2006, 09:49 AM
:texan:

TheHumanAlphabet
8/7/2006, 09:58 AM
My fear is that corrosion is more of an issue than currently expected. I don't know where the corrosion is coming from, I thought North Slope crude was sweet. I would think that they have or will shoot instrumented pigs through the pipeline to check it out. I beat the flights to anchorage are filling up. This will probably be almost as big of a repair job as was seen when building it...Throw people and money at it and "get r done"...

Okla-homey
8/7/2006, 10:14 AM
woo-hoo. 4.50 a gallon by Labor Day!

Rusher
8/7/2006, 11:08 AM
CNN dudes said it'll be a few weeks to get it fixed. Then again, it's CNN we're talking about :rolleyes:

Vaevictis
8/7/2006, 01:07 PM
Ive installed an electric fuel pump where I can pull up beside you car, place a small hose in your tank and pump it dry Oh and if you think A locking gas cap will stop me , think again . Just under that is a rubber hose that all I have to do is make a small hole in . so while your watching a movie or eating out Im filling up :eek:

Oklahoma man shot while siphoning gas, film at 11.

OUstudent4life
8/7/2006, 03:19 PM
Oklahoma man shot while siphoning gas, film at 11.

You don't need to shoot him...his pump will fail at some point, and he'll turn to the ole' standby: :D

http://www.ouhsc.edu/article-display.asp?idnum=923

Over the past two months, the siphoning of gasoline has been largely responsible for the 500 percent jump in gasoline poisoning among adults in the United States. According to data from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, this is undoubtedly the greatest number of gasoline poisonings since the end of the 1974 gasoline shortage...

...Gasoline is not well absorbed from the stomach, but large amounts can produce side effects ranging from vomiting, vertigo, drowsiness and confusion to loss of consciousness, convulsions, hemorrhaging of the lungs and internal organs, and death due to circulatory failure. Inhalation of gasoline fumes is also particularly hazardous; more importantly, any amount of gasoline accidentally sucked into the lungs can be fatal. Death occurs from chemical pneumonia...

Scott D
8/7/2006, 03:30 PM
I blame Tuba, I know he's behind this somehow.

OklahomaTuba
8/7/2006, 04:16 PM
I wish I was.

That way, I could be making a killin, while laughing at you poor losers.

Oh wait...

;)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/8/2006, 09:45 AM
Perhaps now, the public will get the REAL impression of BP. Its not the tree hugging, renewable energy source company people think they are. They are an unsafe company that allows unsafe conditions! The 400,000 barrel oil leak in Prudhoe Bay with corroded pipes that they haven't instrument pigged since 1992 to the deaths in Texas. BP has some management issues...

OklahomaTuba
8/8/2006, 10:22 AM
Perhaps now, the public will get the REAL impression of BP. Its not the tree hugging, renewable energy source company people think they are. They are an unsafe company that allows unsafe conditions! The 400,000 barrel oil leak in Prudhoe Bay with corroded pipes that they haven't instrument pigged since 1992 to the deaths in Texas. BP has some management issues...

No kidding. BP is the worst of the worst.

And like I said, its cause they won't spend money. I don't know if the brits are just tightwads or if they are just clueless or what, but dear lord get with the friggin program already BP.