PDA

View Full Version : ?? for Okla school teachers?Mrs.Norm u out there

OUHOMER
8/6/2006, 07:26 PM
What exactly does "gifted student" mean. My nephew starts 4h grade here shortly. my BIL just got a letter stating that his son is a GIFTED STUDENT. they have a meeting scheduled for next week to talk about this.

just wondering what it really mean. And yes the kid is crazy smart. Brain is like a sponge. they have to check on him at night, they have caught him several times using a flash light so he could read..

TopDaugIn2000
8/6/2006, 07:27 PM
honestly, it's just a label. in our school, they occasionally went on a "special" trip or something. didn't really mean $hit though. might have changed since then.

Tailwind
8/6/2006, 07:27 PM
It means he's ahead of the pack. It's a good thing.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 07:30 PM
handi-capable i think ;)

actually its a pre-cursor to honors classes, they're a little tougher and more demanding.....sometimes a good thing and other times not

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 07:50 PM
My Daughter starts 3rd grade this year and was accepted into the "Gifted Program" also.

It's a good thing.

OUHOMER
8/6/2006, 07:58 PM
I hope they give them some specail classes. He gets bored real quick if its too easy. He's the kind that has to be challanged.

yermom
8/6/2006, 08:03 PM
depends on the school... in 4th or 5th grade i went to another school one day a week with another group of kids that went to museums, learned languages and programmed computers, etc...

this was in Tulsa in the 80's, i have no idea what they do now...

reevie
8/6/2006, 08:03 PM
just wondering what it really mean. And yes the kid is crazy smart. Brain is like a sponge. they have to check on him at night, they have caught him several times using a flash light so he could read..

I was thinking that was a behavior for teenage years?

BeetDigger
8/6/2006, 08:06 PM
Gifted = wierd. Very few kids are really gifted. When you find one, you know it. They don't spend a lot of time with other kids cause the other kids think they are strange.

High achiever = kid that is pretty normal, but excells by being smart and working their tail off.

Gifted programs are filled with high acheivers for the most part.

OUHOMER
8/6/2006, 08:09 PM
I was thinking that was a behavior for teenage years?

That was me :D i dont see well anymore either :eek:

PrideTrombone
8/6/2006, 08:22 PM
He's either really smart or really dumb. :)

GDC
8/6/2006, 08:30 PM
Ay my high school it meant you played D&D, chess, and basically goofed off for an hour a day.

Technically it means they have a certain IQ or standardized test score.

tbl
8/6/2006, 08:32 PM
honestly, it's just a label. in our school, they occasionally went on a "special" trip or something. didn't really mean $hit though. might have changed since then.
Sounds like one of the jealous dumb kids... ;)

GottaHavePride
8/6/2006, 09:33 PM
What exactly does "gifted student" mean. My nephew starts 4h grade here shortly. my BIL just got a letter stating that his son is a GIFTED STUDENT. they have a meeting scheduled for next week to talk about this.

Serious reply, Homer, at least as it works in Kansas:

If your kid is classified as gifted it means they're ahead of the pack. - Those outside the pack in the other direction are either "exceptional learners" or "special needs" depending on how PC the district is. - The school is required to have a conference with the student and parents and draw up an IEP (Individual Education Plan) and set goals specifically for your student. (that'll be the meeting they've already scheduled.) This can include accelerated classes, special projects, etc. etc. and they'll determine a certain number of minutes per week of instructional time that should be spent on these goals.

Some elementary schools will have a "gifted resource room" or some such with a teacher dedicated to teaching the children in the gifted program. So at certain times your nephew would get up and head to another room for his accelerated classes. Some middle schools will have a self-contained gifted program where they draw up paperwork to transfer students into that school so they have enough students to put them in classes together and teach them all advanced english, math, history, etc. This is good - no switching rooms and feeling out-of-place in the "regular" classes.

Also, my high school even had a "self-contained" gifted. So basically we got enrolled in advanced math and they had sort of "honors" sections of english and history for us. After the first year or two those teachers became sort of our "advisers", helping us with college applications, preparing for SAT, ACT, PSAT, etc.

So anyway, that's how it works in Kansas (still does, my mom works as a para-educator for the Wichita school district) from someone who went through the whole program. I'm assuming a lot of that will be similar wherever your nephew is going to school.

OUHOMER
8/6/2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks Pride i hope it works out for the kid, he does have something special.

BajaOklahoma
8/6/2006, 10:14 PM
Another option to consider is to see about testing out of some of the classes. We have 4th graders going to the middle school for 6th or 7th grade math. When they get to high school, they usually take college math.

Soonrboy
8/6/2006, 10:59 PM
It really depends on the school system you are in. If they are having a meeting, that's a good sign that the district actually may have a plan for these kids.

The way a kid is recognized can be a number of ways, good test scores or teacher recommendation, usually.

I know that the district gets monies based on the number of gifted students they serve...so they have to account for that money somewhere.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/6/2006, 11:16 PM
When I was in school, we had the same program. They didn't call it "gifted" then. I think we were called "special knees" or something like that I never really cared.

Some of my favorite memories were getting to wear a helmet at recess and nap time. Most of the other 9th graders didn't get to take naps during school.

Believe me, your neph will love it.

olevetonahill
8/6/2006, 11:21 PM
In the late 70s My oldest son was labeled "gifted" IE hes a slow learner . Nope at that time OK had changed from phonics to sight recognition . the kid was in the 4th grade bored **** less. I yanked him out of school and taught him at home . I had no clue about home school at the time :( He was 4 years behind the curve .
That same son is now reading Engineering drawings and working on power plants .
I think I taught him well , even with the cops coming to my house saying I cant do this .

Norm In Norman
8/7/2006, 07:32 AM
The Boy took some test and got a 97th percentile on it, so he's in the gifted and talented program. The test wasn't a fact test, it was more of a puzzle sort of IQ test. Anyway, he is supposed to be taking some more advanced classes than the other first graders this year. We didn't have a meeting though.

jeremy885
8/7/2006, 07:46 AM

Not really. I got into the program in HS, due to my score on the yearly test my school would do. We got do "special" trips to museums and other educational institutions. When you're a Senior, they would arrange "shadowing" trips on where you got to follow professionials in the field(s) you wanted to study in college. I got to go to Halliburton and Ft Sill to watch a petroleum engineer and a 1st lieutenant. The lieutenant even let me strip down a M-16 and put back together. I highly recommend the program to any kid that is eligible to get into it.

TopDaugIn2000
8/7/2006, 08:35 PM
well, in OUR tiny little school, it didn't mean crap. just sayin. hopefully it's better now, especially in the larger schools.