View Full Version : dog whisperer

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 01:37 PM
i am addicted to this show

if your're a dog lover - alot to learn from this show

MamaMia
8/6/2006, 02:06 PM
i am addicted to this show

if your're a dog lover - alot to learn from this showI tried some of his tips on my Shih Tzu, Watson, because he barks at teenage girls when they walk anywhere near our vehicles, he just looked at me like "whatever" and continued acting all tough. I think its his way of flirting because when the girls scream, jump and then laugh at how cute he is, he starts smiling and wagging his tail.

Meet my mean watch dog...Watson :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/ThePerfectWatsonwithText.jpg

yermom
8/6/2006, 02:12 PM
do NOT let 1TC around that dog ;)

i haven't seen that show but the South Park goof on it was absolutely hilarious

BajaOklahoma
8/6/2006, 04:22 PM
The dog sites I check give him mixed reviews.
The lawsuits are tarnishing him a bit.

bri
8/6/2006, 04:25 PM
My ex-roommate would DVR that show and have marathon watching sessions...and all he learned was to do that "ssst" thing and push the dog to the ground to "correct" it.

What a tool.

WILBURJIM
8/6/2006, 04:54 PM
My brother and sister in-law met Cesar Millan yesterday, they are huge fans of the show, as is my wife. I suck at getting dogs to behave and watching The Dog Whisperer only frustrates me(he makes it look way too easy-which is part of the attraction to the show I guess). But my eleven year old son, now shuts up when I say "sshhsst" so some good has come from watching the show.

BoogercountySooner
8/6/2006, 05:21 PM
They don't show you Cesar's family inside makin burrito's with the dogs that don't behave for their Roach Coach. Cesar whispers in the Dogs ear "You wanna be a burrito to?" Wahla well behaved dog.;) :D

Widescreen
8/6/2006, 05:40 PM
The dog sites I check give him mixed reviews.
The lawsuits are tarnishing him a bit.
He's getting sued?

MamaMia
8/6/2006, 06:23 PM
He's getting sued?
Yes he is. A while back I read that he is being sued by some producer for something that happened at his behavioral place. Apparently they severely injured his lab by using a choke collar on him before they forced him onto a treadmill and then they left him unattended. I'm wasn't surprised. I think hes mean.

If I remember correctly, when the producer arrived at the vet clinic, his dog was bleeding from his mouth and ears.

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 06:27 PM
Once a Lab is in it's attack pose...

You've really got no choice but to get rough with them. ;)

http://www.maskworld.com/pix/new/small/mu-25129.jpg

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 06:31 PM
They are smart and able to stalk like the big game cats.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/images/xxmas9.jpg

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 07:11 PM
cesar wasnt personally involved with the incident that is cause of the law suit, some of his people at the center were

a tool? wow....ok, well i've seen him help countless families with problem dogs......dogs what would have been otherwise put down

BajaOklahoma
8/6/2006, 07:30 PM
The dog died, I believe.
And it seems like there is at least one more lawsuit.
I don't watch the show, so I don't really keep up.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 07:32 PM
there's one lawsuit i've read about.......and it has to do with something that happened when he wasnt there at the center

as many dogs and families as he's helped, i think one failure is a fairly good success rate.....the problem is that he can show the owners how to correct their own behavior but they have to follow thru with it

i used to frequent a dog message board, and frankly, dog snobs are the most annoying breed of human i've ever met.....so it doesnt surprise me that they have mixed feelings about him

the results speaks volumes imo

C&CDean
8/6/2006, 07:42 PM
City people. Meh.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 07:44 PM
he teaches people to treat dogs .......like dogs, rather than like humans, which is when they get all jacked up

MamaMia
8/6/2006, 07:51 PM
Call me a dog snob, but I dont like the choke chain.

Here is an interesting article on him...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=434660

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 07:54 PM
i use a prong collar on both my goldens on walks because there's no other way to walk them........the choke collars dont hurt the dogs

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 08:07 PM
Those radio shock collars suck BTW.

Nothing like a good cattle guard to keep em in the yard.

http://static.flickr.com/17/22812258_0ab72c73c0_o.jpg

MamaMia
8/6/2006, 08:16 PM
i use a prong collar on both my goldens on walks because there's no other way to walk them........the choke collars dont hurt the dogsYes they do. They choke them.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 08:18 PM
then why do the dogs never yelp?

when my dogs play and one gets to rough with the biting, she yelps and lets jake know she's hurt.....he backs off

you dont ever hear the dogs yelping with those collars......

we'll just have to agree to disagree

soonerboomer93
8/6/2006, 08:23 PM
they can't yelp if you're choking them and cutting off their airway

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 08:24 PM
if they can breathe, which they can - they can yelp

Jerk
8/6/2006, 08:34 PM
The trick with the choak collar is to always let the dog pull, because when he does it too hard, he will always back off. Always. What you do not want to do is yank or pull on the leash yourself, unless you're taking up slack. You can hold the leash firm to stop, but there's no need to pull back.

Blue
8/6/2006, 08:45 PM
There's nothing worse than a dog who is emasculated. That's what he does.

If you want a boring dog with no personality, call Cesar.

MamaMia
8/6/2006, 08:50 PM
I always hide the choke chains when I'm in the store.

WILBURJIM
8/6/2006, 09:19 PM
There's nothing worse than a dog who is emasculated. That's what he does.

If you want a boring dog with no personality, call Cesar.

I don't that is it at all. There is no taking away a dogs personality, all Cesar does is show people, train people how to be in charge of their dogs.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 09:24 PM
I don't that is it at all. There is no taking away a dogs personality, all Cesar does is show people, train people how to be in charge of their dogs.

exactly, my dogs have all the personality in the world, but they dont run/rule the house

he's dealing with dogs that have serious behavior issues...not personality issues

Blue
8/6/2006, 09:38 PM
exactly, my dogs have all the personality in the world, but they dont run/rule the house

he's dealing with dogs that have serious behavior issues...not personality issues

I can buy that. I was just thinking of my neighbor who has a Golden Ret. in a 1-bedroom apt. I feel really sorry for that dog.

tulsaoilerfan
8/6/2006, 09:40 PM
He had an episode on tonight where there was a Brichon Frise or however you spell it(little white fluffy dog)that always bit the wife when she tried to pick him up or even get near him, and it had been going on for several years; of course you don't know what started it, but if i had a dog like that, it would be finding a new home

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 09:41 PM
I can buy that. I was just thinking of my neighbor who has a Golden Ret. in a 1-bedroom apt. I feel really sorry for that dog.

yeah i would too, thats not enough room for a golden imo

tulsaoilerfan
8/6/2006, 09:41 PM
he teaches people to treat dogs .......like dogs, rather than like humans, which is when they get all jacked up
Yup, some of these people actually like their dogs more than they do their children, which is pretty sad

MamaMia
8/7/2006, 09:16 AM
Yup, some of these people actually like their dogs more than they do their children, which is pretty sad
Oh now, thats just silly.

We love our kids just as much. :P

Widescreen
8/7/2006, 09:39 AM
He had an episode on tonight where there was a Brichon Frise or however you spell it(little white fluffy dog)that always bit the wife when she tried to pick him up or even get near him, and it had been going on for several years; of course you don't know what started it, but if i had a dog like that, it would be finding a new home
I saw that one the other night. That dog was INSANE! But it appeared to be the owners' fault.

My dog would act that way once.

ONCE!

C&CDean
8/7/2006, 09:50 AM
We had a registered miniature poodle when we lived in France (1960-1963). It was my older sister's dog. Constance Danielle de Montini. No ****. Of course we called her "Connie." Anyhow, this dog became very protective of my sister. If me or my other sister or brother even approached my older sister too fast, the dog was on us like white on rice.

So, one day, after we moved back to the states (maybe 1965 or so), my sister popped off to my dad. Dad gave sis the ol' backhand to the chops, and Connie went after dad like a demon. Well, dad, being dad, picked that dog up and did his very best Bob Gibson imitation off the closest wall. Connie survived, and lived until the day my sister got married (16 years old - the dog, not my sister ya freaks). And in all that time, Connie never, ever once tried to bite somebody again. Dog whisperer? Nah.

MamaMia
8/7/2006, 10:02 AM
We had a registered miniature poodle when we lived in France (1960-1963). It was my older sister's dog. Constance Danielle de Montini. No ****. Of course we called her "Connie." Anyhow, this dog became very protective of my sister. If me or my other sister or brother even approached my older sister too fast, the dog was on us like white on rice.

So, one day, after we moved back to the states (maybe 1965 or so), my sister popped off to my dad. Dad gave sis the ol' backhand to the chops, and Connie went after dad like a demon. Well, dad, being dad, picked that dog up and did his very best Bob Gibson imitation off the closest wall. Connie survived, and lived until the day my sister got married (16 years old - the dog, not my sister ya freaks). And in all that time, Connie never, ever once tried to bite somebody again. Dog whisperer? Nah.That explains alot.

sooneron
8/7/2006, 10:09 AM
We use the Gentle lead. Our dog hardly pulls at all on walks. He heals pretty well, he just needs some learning when it comes to running into other dogs on the walk. I'm working on it. Group lessons will be forthcoming.

Mjcpr
8/7/2006, 10:10 AM
We use the Gentle lead. Our dog hardly pulls at all on walks. He heals pretty well, he just needs some learning when it comes to running into other dogs on the walk. I'm working on it. Group lessons will be forthcoming.

Do you think he could be blind?

sooneron
8/7/2006, 10:15 AM
Do you think he could be blind?
heh

C&CDean
8/7/2006, 10:16 AM
That explains alot.

Yeah, it probably does. But then again, I don't even own a leash, and I think people who own dogs larger than 20 pounds should be required by law to have at least 5 acres for their dogs, and I think that people who keep sick animals alive are cruel, and I think that people who think their dogs are semi-human are whack jobs, and I think that people who cannot personally euthanize their dogs shouldn't be allowed to own them. I think animal rights people should be lobotomized (like there aren't enough human causes to devote your time/$$/attention to), I think there should be an open season on cats who wander into your yard, and I think that people who get caught dumping animals should get serious prison time.

But hey, that's just me.

MamaMia
8/7/2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, it probably does. But then again, I don't even own a leash, and I think people who own dogs larger than 20 pounds should be required by law to have at least 5 acres for their dogs, and I think that people who keep sick animals alive are cruel, and I think that people who think their dogs are semi-human are whack jobs, and I think that people who cannot personally euthanize their dogs shouldn't be allowed to own them. I think animal rights people should be lobotomized (like there aren't enough human causes to devote your time/$$/attention to), I think there should be an open season on cats who wander into your yard, and I think that people who get caught dumping animals should get serious prison time.

But hey, that's just me.Are you in a bad mood, because you seem a little cranky? :P

Scott D
8/7/2006, 02:54 PM

But hey, that's just me.

and Dean, all this guy did was basically tell the wife to be more assertive with the dog and not be afraid of it, and for the husband (whom was the object of protection) to be more assertive in supporting the wife and putting the dog in it's place.

The issue with the german shepherds was very interesting in that episode.