PDA

View Full Version : So whatever happened to all the USC violations?

tulsaoilerfan
8/6/2006, 11:02 AM
Haven't heard squat about Bush's parents and their mansion, nor have i heard anything about Jarrett living rent free in Leinart's apt that was paid for by Leinart's dad; it's funny how the media jumps all over our ***, but USC, for the most part, has gotten off scot free since these stories first appeared.

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 11:04 AM
Could be to our advantage.

Obviously we are not the Media's darlings...

Blues1
8/6/2006, 11:37 AM
Look at this....??

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2540721

Big Red Ron
8/6/2006, 11:42 AM
Look at this....??

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2540721it should be more difficult to reinstate him after bomar.

General Applewhite
8/6/2006, 11:56 AM
It's hard to think of a rule USC hasn't broken in the last 12 months.

OUHOMER
8/6/2006, 12:08 PM
unless, someone else was adding money for the rent, I really dont see a problem with this. If i am a parent who is paying the rent for my son, and he gets a room mate to help defray the cost, i would be happy. now if a booster is adding to the rent than that is a problem.

Sooner-N-KS
8/6/2006, 12:31 PM
unless, someone else was adding money for the rent, I really dont see a problem with this. If i am a parent who is paying the rent for my son, and he gets a room mate to help defray the cost, i would be happy. now if a booster is adding to the rent than that is a problem.

The problem is that's the way the NCAA has set up the rules, and everyone has to live by them.....even USC players.

The lease was $3,866/month.

If their are two people living there the fair share would be $1,933/person.

Jarret paid $650/month for his rent.

This means that Jarret was GIVEN benefits of $1,283/month!

I don't know exactly how long he lived there, but if you assume he lived there for a year that means he was given benefits of $15,396 for that year. This isn't chump change.

Why should Jarrett be able to live well beyond his means like this when the university already takes care of their living accomodations? It seems to me that even the $650/month is a stretch for a college football player to come up with.

Let's look at a theoretical example showing why this isn't acceptable.

Mack Brown decides to recruit the son of a billioinaire. The kid isn't good, but daddy's a billionaire. Daddy tells Mack, "If you recruit my boy I'll do whatever I can financially to help the team."

Mack Brown goes out and recruits other kids saying, "We have recruited a billionaire's son. He's agreed that if you join our team he'll buy you a new car and let you stay in a $2,000/month house. We can do that because he's a father, not a booster."

OUHOMER
8/6/2006, 12:39 PM
Well, if Matt L was the son of a billionaire and sucked i could follow you on this. And with the price of a decent place to live in LA was cheaper I could follow you on this. but if it's no more than Matt's best friend living with him I dont have a problem with it. I could see why the NCAA would investigate. Now i can see a problem with the Bush family getting a big new home for free

tulsaoilerfan
8/6/2006, 01:02 PM
How would it be legal for a parent to pay someone else's rent? Wouldn't that be an extra benefit?

tulsaoilerfan
8/6/2006, 01:04 PM
I also think that if a player chooses to live off campus, the university can provide him with some $ to help pay his rent as part of his room and board scholarship, unless that has been changed in the last couple of decades; anyone?

Sooner-N-KS
8/6/2006, 01:04 PM
Homer,

The rules have to be the same for every player. It shouldn't matter who it is.

I did give an extreme situation, but I was showing why that kind of rule had to be in place. What if you didn't suck and your dad was a billioniaire? Would that change the story? Only to the point of recruiting a player you normally wouldn't recruit.

Does it matter how much money Lienart has? It really doesn't. The NCAA doesn't seem to draw a line on benefits. They just say not benefits. You can't even give Rufus a Big Mac!

Jarrett doesn't need housing!!! USC takes care of the housing of all it's players. Who should be allowed to give $1,300/month for a house he doesn't need.

Let's get closer to the situation at hand. What if Pete Carroll was to go to someone he's recruiting and say, "If you come play for us at USC, I'll make sure you can live with the QB, and the QB's dad will pay for most of your rent."

AlbqSooner
8/6/2006, 02:00 PM
How would it be legal for a parent to pay someone else's rent? Wouldn't that be an extra benefit?
Bingo! If a parent (not your's) provides a benefit to you that is not available to other students, that is an benefit that violates NCAA rules. Hence, Jarrett received improper benefits of $1,283 each month that he enjoyed that living arrangement. SUC not only did not bring this to the attention of the NCAA, as did Stoops with the former players. They are attempting to utilize this player this season. There has not even been mention of a suspension for a game.

I prefer the high road taken by OU and Coach Stoops.

It will be interesting to see if the NCAA can see this for what it is.

OUHOMER
8/6/2006, 02:02 PM
trust me I see your point, and I also know that no matter what the rules, somebody will try and exploit every situation. Student athletes have a fine line they must walk. And I am not trying to justify anything SUC does by any means. But sometimes things can be just as they seem. Best friends living together, having a blast playing high profile football at a high profile school. Playing with the high profile girls etc. But if they find something wrong than yes throw the book at them.

goingoneight
8/6/2006, 03:04 PM
Long and short of this is, Bomar and a car dealership made the mistake...

and everyone who wears an OU ballcap, all the way down to the small children have been labeled cheaters for two parties' mistakes. Neither of which had anything to do with Bob Stoops, the Athletic Department, or the University of Oklahoma. But go to any board for any team in the US right now and we're all they're talking about...

Sooner-N-KS
8/6/2006, 03:08 PM
Homer,

I'm sure things are exactly as they seem. I think all intentions by Leinart's dad were honest and sincere. I don't question that at all. The problem is that those same benefits could be used for a wrongful benefit in another situation.

The NCAA can't judge intentions. They have to make an even playing field for all players on every team. Does Malcom Kelly have the ability to live in a house paid for by PT's Dad? Can Demarcus Murray live in a house paid for by AD's dad?

Remember the episode of Coach when Luthor finally got a head coaching job? He was so excited to have his own team that the first thing he did was take all of his guys out to lunch. That was a sincere mistake with only small benefits to the players, but he was fired.

Until the NCAA changes the rules even sincere violations are violations. It appears that Jarrett is gaining more honestly than "The Idiot" and Quinn by deception.

badger
8/6/2006, 11:45 PM
I think the NCAA is could be becoming a little bit TOO harsh in some instances. No, you can't give athletes millions. However, you should be able to let the athletes be students and representatives of the university without shrieking "YOU GAVE THAT ATHLETE ICE CUBES AND WATER!"

Leinart's dad was paying for his son's apartment. The fact that another guy was living there--- so what? I mean, have any of you ever invited friends to stay with you when times are tough? I've had friends do that for me, and I don't think their landlords would think there was anything wrong with it.

FaninAma
8/7/2006, 08:30 AM

Can you imagine the huge loophole this would open? And I'm pretty sure parents are classified as boosters since they are involved with the program.

It appears Mr. Jarrett recieved many times the amount of inducements that Bomar recieved.

SOONER44EVER
8/7/2006, 11:11 PM
Can you imagine the huge loophole this would open? And I'm pretty sure parents are classified as boosters since they are involved with the program.

It appears Mr. Jarrett recieved many times the amount of inducements that Bomar recieved.
Yeah but thats ok if you are from usc, ohio st. or notre dame. Don't you know anything about college football? :D

rainiersooner
8/8/2006, 01:57 AM
What if Leinart's Dad wanted to pay $3216 for Matt to live there but needed him to find a roommate to kick in $650. The NCAA sucks. It's just ridiculous. I hate that they beat us as much as anyone, but this is a stupid rule.

musikology
8/8/2006, 04:09 AM
They have OJ on their side

TUSooner
8/8/2006, 08:48 AM
Here's what I see:
Stoops: You're busted; hit the road!
Carroll: You're busted; let's see if we can help you beat the rap!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/8/2006, 10:28 AM
Here's what I see:
Stoops: You're busted; hit the road!
Carroll: You're busted; let's see if we can help you beat the rap!Oh, you're just paranoid! Shirley, it can't be so!

soonersam
8/8/2006, 10:29 AM
could they have to forfiet all the games that Bush played in... would that make us 2004 NC's

jwlynn64
8/8/2006, 11:13 AM
I think the NCAA is could be becoming a little bit TOO harsh in some instances. No, you can't give athletes millions. However, you should be able to let the athletes be students and representatives of the university without shrieking "YOU GAVE THAT ATHLETE ICE CUBES AND WATER!"

Leinart's dad was paying for his son's apartment. The fact that another guy was living there--- so what? I mean, have any of you ever invited friends to stay with you when times are tough? I've had friends do that for me, and I don't think their landlords would think there was anything wrong with it.

Maybe Leinart's Dad should have found him an apartment that he could afford and not try to let Leinart live beyond his means (in your example).

I guess I am totally surprised that anyone could look at this situation and not see the wrong in it. Just the rent alone is crazy. What college kid should live in an apartment that cost $3000+ a month in rent. I know that we are talking about LA but that is just crazy. Throw in letting another player live in that apartment while only kicking in 1/6 of the rent, that is just plain wrong.

This is not an example of two players trying to live in an affordable apartment and having to ask one of their fathers for help occasionally. This is a prime example of a father trying to get a top notch receiver to help out his son by providing that player with a much more luxurious apartment than he could live in if left to his own means.

This is a very serious offense not to be equated to bringing him a glass of water with ice. Well, I guess it could be the same if the glass of water cost $1300!!!

Please get off your liberal, democratic, high horse and put some perspective on what happened here.

Desert Sapper
8/8/2006, 11:47 AM
I think NCAA Athletes should have to live in the accomodations provided by their scholarship, unless none are available. If none are available, the university should have to pay a stipend for them to live on the economy. If you are a student athlete in the NCAA, then you are bound by the governing regulations of that organization. This would not allow you to receive any additional benefit, even if it is your coach giving you a ticket to fly home to see your dying mother... *ahem* If my child had a provided dorm room and wanted to live in town, what would I say? Get a job and rent one. Daddy isn't there to wipe your butt anymore. Suck it up.

SoonerJLB
8/8/2006, 12:35 PM
and Quinn did to the Jarrett living situation. Bomar and Quinn knew they were breaking the rules by getting paid a lot for not working much or at all.

When Leinart decided last year that he return for his senior year in 2005, Leinart and Jarrett were roomates at some apartment complex near their campus that SC used as dorms. With all the press after winning the Heisman and NC, Leinart couldn't even leave his apartment without press, fans and the like hounding him at all hours. Leinart's parents moved him to a more upscale gated apartment complex and ML asked Jarrett to move in and pay the same amount of rent that the University pay for at the other place. It may be against the NCAA rules but minor compared to boosters providing "phantom jobs" to players and paying them.

SC had ONE guy charged with a crime last year(Rey) for fighting at a party. Misdemeanor.

Jarretts: secondary(minor) violation

Bush ? Secondary unless they find complicity on the Univ's part

Sanchez- -NO charges EVER filed.

Rucker- Charges filed months after he left. How would anyone even KNOW he was involved in anything if the complaint hadn't been filed?

Ting- Steroids discovered AFTER the season. The NCAA even considers this a personal choice that wont hold the Univ accountable IF they can prove the proper education was provided

jwlynn64
8/8/2006, 02:07 PM
OK. Let me see if I get your logic right.

It's OK to steal as long as someone else kills someone. All behavior is OK if someone else does something worse. Or if you can get away with it.

Also, I like that the Bush situation is OK for USC if the school didn't know about it but OU should get harse penalties because they didn't know about the Bomar/Quinn situation.

Everything above aside, the only thing in question is the actions of Jarrett and the Leinarts. Getting a plush, off campus apartment at only 1/3 of what it should cost you is getting a benefit.

Nothing about the problems of living in the spotlight or excuses about why it should be OK change that fact. What Bomar and Quinn did, they did knowingly. If Jarrett didn't know that that what he was doing was wrong, he should have at least known to ask if it was OK.

Also, didn't the school know where he was living. I would hope that would be the least the school would know about it's players.

MiccoMacey
8/8/2006, 02:26 PM
and Quinn did to the Jarrett living situation. Bomar and Quinn knew they were breaking the rules by getting paid a lot for not working much or at all.

When Leinart decided last year that he return for his senior year in 2005, Leinart and Jarrett were roomates at some apartment complex near their campus that SC used as dorms. With all the press after winning the Heisman and NC, Leinart couldn't even leave his apartment without press, fans and the like hounding him at all hours. Leinart's parents moved him to a more upscale gated apartment complex and ML asked Jarrett to move in and pay the same amount of rent that the University pay for at the other place. It may be against the NCAA rules but minor compared to boosters providing "phantom jobs" to players and paying them.

SC had ONE guy charged with a crime last year(Rey) for fighting at a party. Misdemeanor.

Jarretts: secondary(minor) violation

Bush ? Secondary unless they find complicity on the Univ's part

Sanchez- -NO charges EVER filed.

Rucker- Charges filed months after he left. How would anyone even KNOW he was involved in anything if the complaint hadn't been filed?

Ting- Steroids discovered AFTER the season. The NCAA even considers this a personal choice that wont hold the Univ accountable IF they can prove the proper education was provided

So USC's situation is OK because they allegedly didn't know about it, but OU doesn't get that same standard? That doesn't pass any kind of logical or common sense test.

As for the Jarrett/Leinart roommate deal, I personally think it's a bogus wrap, but I understand that the NCAA may not see it as such. It is a violation and that's how they'll probably approach it. It isn't close to two players scheming to break a rule and cover it up.

Big Red Ron
8/8/2006, 08:50 PM
Like I said in another thread. Boren's actions regarding Bomar and Quin puts the NCAA in a bind on the USC stuff. There is the right way, or OU's way or the wrong way, USC's way, of doing things when confronted with NCAA rules.

Texas
8/8/2006, 08:55 PM
USC is pretty dirty. they let reggie bush and somebody else "intern" for the sports agent he later signed with.

as somebody said, if jarrett couldnt afford it, stay in the dorms!!!

athletic dorms are much nicer than regular ones anyway.

Big Red Ron
8/8/2006, 09:03 PM
USC is pretty dirty. they let reggie bush and somebody else "intern" for the sports agent he later signed with.

as somebody said, if jarrett couldnt afford it, stay in the dorms!!!

athletic dorms are much nicer than regular ones anyway.Not at NEO. :O