PDA

View Full Version : Allen Patrick

okcusooner
8/6/2006, 12:20 AM
Certainly all of us are hoping the offensive line creates enough daylight for Peterson to operate.

If Peterson does get adequate blocking, his accomplishments may be significantly affected by Allen Patrick.

Patrick has good size, speed, and power. I'm confident that he can move the chains when A.D. needs to catch his breath.

It's been said that Peterson could regularly get more than 30 carries a game.
We've seen A.D.'s increased productivity in the 3rd and 4th quarters. If timely substitutions of Patrick can keep Peterson fresh, A.D. may put up numbers that seal a Heisman Trophy.

Patrick will be a very important Sooner this fall.

Snrfn4ever08
8/6/2006, 12:23 AM
Certainly all of us are hoping the offensive line creates enough daylight for Peterson to operate.

If Peterson does get adequate blocking, his accomplishments may be significantly affected by Allen Patrick.

Patrick has good size, speed, and power. I'm confident that he can move the chains when A.D. needs to catch his breath.

It's been said that Peterson could regularly get more than 30 carries a game.
We've seen A.D.'s increased productivity in the 3rd and 4th quarters. If timely substitutions of Patrick can keep Peterson fresh, A.D. may put up numbers that seal a Heisman Trophy.

yea, i was really impressed with the way he played last season. especially in the baylor game. without him, we lose that game.
btw, welcome to soonerfans.com. i'll start you off with a little spek :D

AzianSooner
8/6/2006, 12:39 AM
A healthy Peterson could be a deadly in the 4th quater. So I agree with your point, okcusooner

Egeo
8/6/2006, 12:43 AM
ya sounds good
what about murray though? will he be good enough to supplant patrick? we always hear great stuff about frosh...

and, i didnt get to watch regular part of the baylor game (at work :( ) but i figured gutierrez was a more important part of the win than patrick...
am i wrong?

Blue
8/6/2006, 12:44 AM
With our running back depth, I wish we could get three at a time back there.

The Ensuing Kickoff
8/6/2006, 08:39 AM
Blue: Man, how do we do that??? Has that ever been done before???

We need the Wayback Machine.

Blues1
8/6/2006, 09:35 AM
With our running back depth, I wish we could get three at a time back there.

It would seem to me having AD and Patrick (or the new Las Vegas kid) on the field "at the same time" would be a answer to our offense now that we also have a QB that's also a run type player...

From what I remember of the Northwestern offense seems to me they had 2 back offense when they were ripping up the Big Ten....

With the all the defense's keying on AD puting another fast back in the offense would only open up more area for our offense to take advantage of our surplus talent and confuse the enemy -- and give AD a better chance to break longer runs....IMHO being in a one back offense and giving AD 30 plus carries a game makes us too predictable and just increase's the chance of AD getting hurt....

When Steve Owens was carring the ball 30 to 35 times a game we went 6 and 4 for the season....Yep Steve won the heisman and it was fun watching him plow through the line time after time -- but a 6 and 4 season is not what we want....Plus the season is 13 to 14 games now - not 10 games in days of Steve Owens.

JMHO...But a one back offense is gonna hurt us IF thats the way we go this year...Since the *car lot screw up* ---- We need to take a New Look at what we have and how we are gonna use it,
Once again JMHO...

Gotta Keep Rockin'

GDC
8/6/2006, 01:04 PM
OU practice report
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/6/2006

POSITION BATTLE

Running back

OK, with Adrian Peterson back there, to say there is a battle at this position might be a reach. But who are his backups?

Saturday, the workload was spread around between returning veterans Allen Patrick (one media observer called him "college football's best-kept secret") and Jacob Gutierrez (looking strong and quick despite a brace on his left knee following offseason surgery), and freshmen Mossis Madu, Chris Brown and DeMarco Murray.

Patrick provided a highlight run during the team session when he juked a linebacker and broke outside, then accelerated past a defensive back on a 50-yard touchdown.

NEWS AND NOTES

New policy: OU coach Bob Stoops said that beginning Monday, all preseason practices will be closed to the public and the media. He also restricted post-practice media interviews to Tuesday and Thursday only. He said scrimmages may still be open to the public.

Sunday's practice -- the last open practice of the year -- starts at 5 p.m. and is expected to run 2 1/2 hours.

Saturday's practice was the third of the preseason

and the first in shoulder pads. Monday's drills will be the first in full pads, and Tuesday marks the first two-a-day session.

Play of the day: Sophomore cornerback Reggie Smith jumped a comeback route by Quentin Chaney, intercepted a Paul Thompson pass and went 55 yards for a touchdown.

OU legend dies: Harry Moore, co-captain of Oklahoma's first national championship football team in 1950 and an All-Big Seven center, died Thursday in Oklahoma City. He was 84. A memorial service is scheduled for 2 p.m. Friday at First Presbyterian Church in Edmond.

Moore, who founded Moore Energy in Oklahoma City, was a Marine during World War II before coming to OU.

Practice schedule

Date Time
Aug. 6: Practice 5-7:30 p.m.
Aug. 7: Practice 5-7:30 p.m. (full pads)
Aug. 8: Practice 9-11:15 a.m.; 6-8:10 p.m.
Aug. 9: Practice 5-7:30 p.m.
Aug. 10: Practice 9-11:15 a.m.; 6-8:10 p.m.
Aug. 11: Practice 9:30-11:45 a.m.
Aug. 12: Scrimmage 6 p.m.
Aug. 13: Meetings only
Aug. 14: Practice 9-11:15 a.m.; 6-8:10 p.m.
Aug. 15: Practice 5-7:30 p.m.
Aug. 16: Practice 5-7:30 p.m.
Aug. 17: Practice 9-11:15 a.m.; 6-8:10 p.m.
Aug. 18: Practice 9:30-11:45 a.m.
Aug. 19: Scrimmage 11 a.m.
Aug. 20: Off
Aug. 21: Classes begin

All practices after Sunday are closed; scrimmages may remain open to the public).

King Crimson
8/6/2006, 01:32 PM
i don't think he'll carry too much of the load but Gutierrez played a heckuva game against Baylor with AD and Kejuan out--minus a turnover and the brainkilling D backfield lapse late we win that game by two TD's. Runnells too, but that's different. I'd like to see Jacob get some touches.

Paperclip
8/6/2006, 01:49 PM

Are you another fan of the Evil Empire on NW 23rd?

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 11:23 AM
I think Patrick is the most under rated person on the entire team. That kid was constantly placing punts on the opposing 1 yard line last year, and was always the first or second person to hit the return man on kickoffs. He also gained 10+ yards on most of his carries. No one ever really said anything about him last year (as far as the media was concerned), but it seemed that everytime there was a great play on ST or Offense, he was involved somehow, if he was on the field.

I say let him back up AD (guit is too small, and we still need to see Murray in some games), and give him a chance to shine! :pop:

I_Live_In_OK
8/7/2006, 11:31 AM
Patrick will rank among the top position changes under Stoops, the best being Jamal Brown from DT to OT.

My question is — is there a difference between Moses Madu and Chris Brown? Besides their mothers...5'11'', 190, 4.4.

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 01:11 PM
Patrick will rank among the top position changes under Stoops, the best being Jamal Brown from DT to OT.

My question is — is there a difference between Moses Madu and Chris Brown? Besides their mothers...5'11'', 190, 4.4.
Mossis Madu plays like a madman, i'm not sure about the other guy

Widescreen
8/7/2006, 01:18 PM
That kid was constantly placing punts on the opposing 1 yard line last year
Well, he did do a lot last year, but I don't remember him punting much.

;)

I personally think we need to redshirt the 2 frosh RB's unless we REALLY need them for something - like kick returns. AD, Patrick and Gut should be able to give opposing defenses plenty of problems.

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Widescreen]Well, he did do a lot last year, but I don't remember him punting much.

I didnt mean he punted. That would be retarded. I meant he covered punts that were about to bounce into the endzone for touchbacks, and placed them softly on the one yard line, pinning the opponent deep. Did you not see him do this?

However, if he also punted well, it would be even more reason to love him...:pop:

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 01:34 PM
I personally think we need to redshirt the 2 frosh RB's unless we REALLY need them for something - like kick returns. AD, Patrick and Gut should be able to give opposing defenses plenty of problems.
i'm glad i'm not the only person who's thought about this. i wonder that hasn't really been discussed. i don't see any reason for wasting the eligibility of our freshman RB's when we already have three backs that work pefectly well. we're gonna need these freshman once peterson, gute, and patrick move on

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 01:51 PM
I doubt they'll redshirt Demarco, bc great RBs are usually 3 year players. Gutte maybe, bc hes so small that he gets hurt easily (he is no Q).

Maybe we should bust the wishbone back out?

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/7/2006, 01:55 PM
Gute saved us against Baylor.

I don't want to toss him out in the street just yet

I_Live_In_OK
8/7/2006, 02:28 PM
Hasn't Gutierrez already been redshirted anyway?

KYHonorarySooner
8/7/2006, 02:33 PM
I doubt they'll redshirt Demarco, bc great RBs are usually 3 year players. Gutte maybe, bc hes so small that he gets hurt easily (he is no Q).

Maybe we should bust the wishbone back out?

You're right, there is NO way they will redshirt Demarco. Anyone who has seen the tapes on this kid knows he must have the chance to get on the field as soon as possible.

However, obviously not at the expense of Amf'nD!

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 02:35 PM
Hasn't Gutierrez already been redshirted anyway?

I think he may have, or maybe he had a medical redshirt....but, Im not sure on either of those.

As far as him saving us against the Bears, that is def true. He had an incredible game there. But, he is really just too small. Now that we have Murray, Patrick, and AD, I have a feeling he will only see very limited play time. Especially if he has even one fumble.

Collier11
8/7/2006, 02:40 PM
I watched one live practice so far and this is what I can tell you guys...
Demarco is going to be great IMO, catching passes, returning kicks/punts, and running the ball..he will get touches this year

Mossis great athlete, may still end up at DB or wideout but will be good wherever he plays-redshirt

Chris Brown Tough runner, good hands..will be good but IMO never the starter but thats just my measily opinion

Widescreen
8/7/2006, 02:54 PM
I didnt mean he punted. That would be retarded. I meant he covered punts that were about to bounce into the endzone for touchbacks, and placed them softly on the one yard line, pinning the opponent deep. Did you not see him do this?
Hence the ;). Guess you missed it.

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 03:03 PM
You're right, there is NO way they will redshirt Demarco. Anyone who has seen the tapes on this kid knows he must have the chance to get on the field as soon as possible.

However, obviously not at the expense of Amf'nD!
see, not to cause any arguments or anything here, but what is the logic behind that. how about we just redshirt demarco and then he'll most likely have full eligibility once peterson leaves. that would help take up the slack and reduce dropoff from losing peterson. we'd then probably have him for three years after AD

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 03:05 PM
Hence the ;). Guess you missed it.

all good, my man. not lookin to argue.

:)

Desert Sapper
8/7/2006, 03:09 PM
see, not to cause any arguments or anything here, but what is the logic behind that. how about we just redshirt demarco and then he'll most likely have full eligibility once peterson leaves. that would help take up the slack and reduce dropoff from losing peterson. we'd then probably have him for three years after AD

Or you could run split backs (known to some as the Pro), and defenses would be split between the two. How do you, as a DC, prepare to stop both AD and DeMarco? You might have to load DBs in to stop Murray, but then you leave yourself open to AD's power. Call it a compromise between the bone and the I, that doesn't require us to have a great FB.

Collier11
8/7/2006, 03:09 PM

Or we could play him and ala white and bush at Usc and teams never know who is getting the ball out of the backfield, or when, or where. IF the coaches think Murray is ready then by all means I say play him. Plus, we dont want a redshirt freshmen starting next year cus it doesnt always work

Collier11
8/7/2006, 03:10 PM
For all of you who are gonna say im rediculous for comparing bush and murray, Im not comparing them talent wise yet, but murray is the same kind of player and gives us the same kind of options that Bush gave Usc so I think it would work and take alot of pressure off of ENA

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 03:11 PM
Or we could play him and ala white and bush at Usc and teams never know who is getting the ball out of the backfield, or when, or where. IF the coaches think Murray is ready then by all means I say play him. Plus, we dont want a redshirt freshmen starting next year cus it doesnt always work
if they would run this kind of offense, i could definately see the logic in that. i think that kind of offense would be great for the team, but they've never really been know to run anything like that.

pgagolfpro77
8/7/2006, 03:15 PM

I gaurantee we will be yanking some plays out of the USC playbook from last year. With two badas* RBs in the backfield (AD and Patrick/Murray) plus a fleet-footed PT, and two throw-it-to-me-and-I'll-take-it-all-the-way recievers like Iglesias and Kelly lined up wide, DC's will be lost as to what we might do (there could be hundreds of possibilities), and we could use this same formation over and over. How would you stop that??

BOOMER, BABY!!!!

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 03:16 PM
I gaurantee we will be yanking some plays out of the USC playbook from last year. With two badas* RBs in the backfield (AD and Patrick/Murray) plus a fleet-footed PT, and two throw-it-to-me-and-I'll-take-it-all-the-way recievers like Iglesias and Kelly lined up wide, DC's will be lost as to what we might do (there could be hundreds of possibilities), and we could use this same formation over and over. How would you stop that??

BOOMER, BABY!!!!
i'd be all for that

Desert Sapper
8/7/2006, 03:20 PM
I like the USC Offense coupled with our defense. That would be...yikes!!

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 03:21 PM
Or you could run split backs (known to some as the Pro), and defenses would be split between the two. How do you, as a DC, prepare to stop both AD and DeMarco? You might have to load DBs in to stop Murray, but then you leave yourself open to AD's power. Call it a compromise between the bone and the I, that doesn't require us to have a great FB.
that's funny, i think i've seen this before:D

Collier11
8/7/2006, 04:32 PM
see, now were talking. Im gonna go smash a beer can over my head and do a line real quick im so fired up!!!

Collier11
8/7/2006, 04:33 PM
wait, I dont do drugs and I have no money for beer!! F*CK!!!