PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta ****** *******s

TopDaugIn2000
8/5/2006, 09:55 PM
Heading to Atlanta bright and early in the a.m. (Sunday) for more training. I'll have tomorrow afternoon/evening and most of Wednesday free. What to do?

Of COURSE I already have my ticket for the new aquarium, hitting that wed morning. But what else?

Training is actually North of Atlanta, so I really can't do much Monday or Tuesday other than work.

critical_phil
8/5/2006, 09:58 PM
stone mountain light show (hillbilly goodness, complete with people standing at attention when Dixie is played)

braves game.

boiled peanuts.

King Crimson
8/5/2006, 10:04 PM
Buford Highway for the chinese restaurants where the chinese mafia eat.

the Varsity for chili dogs is worth a shot....if you are feeling perverse.

try around Buckhead for good, upscale restaurants.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/6/2006, 12:44 AM
Margaret Mitchell/GWTW Museum

Blue
8/6/2006, 12:49 AM
How you doin?

Jimminy Crimson
8/6/2006, 04:32 AM
Mellow Mushroom. Nuff said.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/6/2006, 06:21 AM
Buford Highway for the chinese restaurants where the chinese mafia eat.

You got that right. My family calls the area Chambodia...

We know, I am from Dunwoody and this area was nothing but cracker town 30 years ago...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/6/2006, 06:24 AM
I'd hit the new Aquarium. You said North Atlanta, I don't know if you mean MArietta or where? If you are near a Marta Rail, that will take you about anywhere you would want to go. I would suggest the High Museum if you are into art. Or perhaps local flavor? go to Buckhead, or better yet, Little Five Points.

TopDaugIn2000
8/6/2006, 06:54 AM
yes, hitting the aquarium. not TOUCHING boiled peanuts....ewwww, and hate baseball. will look up some of the eating places mentioned above though.

will be staying/working in Alpharetta, about 45 minutes north of atlanta.

heading to the airport now.

later

Okla-homey
8/6/2006, 07:10 AM
:les: ATLANTA HISTORY CENTER!

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/700/bbbacvbhistorycenterlg6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Seriously. Best Civil War exhibit on the planet.

Also, as an architect, you would probably find the design and cultural exhibits fascinating. Plus, the big honkin' mansions in the same neighborhood are drop-dead gorgeous.

JohnnyMack
8/6/2006, 08:49 AM
Buckhead.

Mjcpr
8/6/2006, 10:25 AM
Quick jaunt to Augusta for a round of golf.

Wait, you're not a chick are ya?

King Crimson
8/6/2006, 10:57 AM
little five points is a good suggestion.

critical_phil
8/6/2006, 01:15 PM
not TOUCHING boiled peanuts....ewwww

sad.

just sad......

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2006, 01:17 PM
nobody suggested Cheetahs?

hmmm

C&CDean
8/6/2006, 02:19 PM
Two words:

Atlanta sucks.

Used to be cool, but it's just NYC south nowadays.

Buckhead? If you want really expensive drinks/food in an average/below average entertainment district. Underground? Meh. Braves game? Double-meh. Hate me some Braves.

The only recommendations I'll suggest are Stone Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain civil war battelfield, and getting on an airplane and getting the hell out.

olevetonahill
8/6/2006, 02:25 PM
I would add visiting the Museum that houses the General in Kennasaw also
The Train engine Made famous In the Movie the "Great locomotive chase "

Blue
8/6/2006, 02:25 PM
Alpharetta is only about 10 minutes from Buckhead and 20 from downtown, without traffic.

TopDaugIn2000
8/6/2006, 07:24 PM
found Alpharetta w/o any trouble (GOD I LOVE GPS!!!!). anyway, settled in and then explored a bit. really is a pretty little city. the d00d at enterprise told me about a Persian restaurant, so I looked it up and drove out there, but it's out of bidness. oops. ended up going back towards the hotel and hitting a steak place nearby. drove around alpharetta and surrounding cities after dinner. it's really nice being able to just drive and drive and then hit "home" on the GPS and get back to where I started. REALLY helpful for people like me with no sense of direction, especially since this place is anything BUT a grid layout.

training from 8-5 tomorrow, then I'll see what other things I can find. I'll head back down to Atlanta tuesday afternoon when I'm finished with training.

King Crimson
8/6/2006, 07:30 PM
well, be careful gps-wise in atlanta because about 75% of the paved thoroughfares are named "Peachtree".

TopDaugIn2000
8/6/2006, 07:31 PM
yeah, and such and such BRIDGE ROAD.

once again, Thank God for GPS

Blue
8/6/2006, 08:21 PM
yeah, and such and such BRIDGE ROAD.

once again, Thank God for GPS

Lot of Ferries.

Bridge Ferry Rd., Haines`Ferry, etc..

tbl
8/6/2006, 08:36 PM
Two words:

Atlanta sucks.

Buckhead? If you want really expensive drinks/food in an average/below average entertainment district. Underground? Meh. Braves game? Double-meh. Hate me some Braves.

The only recommendations I'll suggest are Stone Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain civil war battelfield, and getting on an airplane and getting the hell out.

As somebody who has lived in Atlanta the past 9 months, I wholeheartedly agree with everything in this post. Unfortunately I'm going to have a son born in this place within the next month or so. Hopefully I'll be out of here before he and my daughter start forming permanent memories...

Blue
8/6/2006, 08:40 PM
As somebody who has lived in Atlanta the past 9 months, I wholeheartedly agree with everything in this post. Unfortunately I'm going to have a son born in this place within the next month or so. Hopefully I'll be out of here before he and my daughter start forming permanent memories...

Only Okla-Homers would think Atlanta sucks. Let's compare...

Things to do- Atl>Ok
Good lookin women- Atl>Ok
Scenery- Atl>Ok

Give me something that's better in Ok.

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 08:41 PM
Football.
http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/K/Glen.S.Krutz-1/HYRIADGDISCZWBS.jpghttp://www.newsok.pointshop.com/ImgUpload/P_16967055_1465006.JPG

tbl
8/6/2006, 08:43 PM
well, be careful gps-wise in atlanta because about 75% of the paved thoroughfares are named "Peachtree".
I've been meaning to get GPS ever since I moved here. There is no doubt in my mind that the entire Atlanta area has the absolute worst road system of any civilized city on earth.
3 Interstates, the loop, and 400 are the only highways in the entire metro area.
The roads change names every 5 miles, and none of the road signs stick to the old state hwy name that it actually is, but instead keep changing with the names. You are correct regarding Peachtree. Apparently these unoriginal jerkwads couldn't think of another name for main streets when they designed them.
All the red lights hang from wires, and there are very few that are actually mounted on poles. Along with that comes automatic timers instead of motion or touch sensors. You can get stuck at a red light for literally 5 minutes when nobody is even coming from the other direction.

Did I mention I hate this place????

Blue
8/6/2006, 08:46 PM
Football.
http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/K/Glen.S.Krutz-1/HYRIADGDISCZWBS.jpghttp://www.newsok.pointshop.com/ImgUpload/P_16967055_1465006.JPG

I surrender! How could I be so dumb? :D

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 08:47 PM
I surrender! How could I be so dumb? :D
I'm just having a good day.

I think it's because I watching a FOOTBALL GAME. :D

Blue
8/6/2006, 08:47 PM
Did I mention I hate this place????

What do you do?

Why don't you move?

tbl
8/6/2006, 08:50 PM

Things to do- Atl>Ok
Scenery- Atl>Ok

I'm not comparing it to Oklahoma. I grew up in Oklahoma, but I lived in Dallas/Fort Worth for over 10 years, and Atlanta can't hold a candle to DFW. DFW beats Atlanta in every single category, and there is no argument you can make to prove otherwise. I've lived in both and Texas rocks Georgia's butt off.

For the sake of argument though, let's compare to Oklahoma.

Crime - Atl>OK
Ghetto's - Atl>OK
Liberal pukes - Atl>OK
Sports - OK>Atl
Good looking women - OK>Atl (You're totally wrong on that one. When was the last time a Ms. GA won the Ms America???)
Road system - OK>Atl
Customer service in restaurants - OK>Atl (You want bad attitudes and horrible service, go get some food in the south)
Racial Tension - Atl>OK

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 08:54 PM
Road system - OK>Atl
ok...

Even I have to question this one...

I haven't been to Georgia in a long time.

They must be pretty darn bad if you think they are worse than here.

I do remember that Atlanta was growing so fast that they were having trouble keeping the infrastructure / roads up-to-date.

tbl
8/6/2006, 08:54 PM
What do you do?

Why don't you move?
I work in National Sales for a Philips Lighting distributor, and I've been very loyal to my company. They needed me out here to cover the East Coast, and they paid all the expenses for me to move here (realtor and all moving fees), plus a big fat bonus. At the time, I thought it might be a decent decision to move, but I was WAY off.

I'm working on a plan to get back to DFW in the next 1-3 years, but we'll see what happens. I'm not actively searching, but if a good opportunity came available in DFW I might have to take it.

Blue
8/6/2006, 08:58 PM
Good looking women - OK>Atl (You're totally wrong on that one. When was the last time a Ms. GA won the Ms America???)
Road system - OK>Atl

Women- You're smoking crack. Most women here look like Ms. Georgia, where as Ms. Oklahoma is the only looker in a 50 mile radius.

Roads?- If it isn't off the turnpike in Oklahoma, it's dead. Have you taken a ride down Hwy 81 from Enid to Waurika lately?

Blue
8/6/2006, 09:00 PM
I work in National Sales for a Philips Lighting distributor, and I've been very loyal to my company. They needed me out here to cover the East Coast, and they paid all the expenses for me to move here (realtor and all moving fees), plus a big fat bonus. At the time, I thought it might be a decent decision to move, but I was WAY off.

I'm working on a plan to get back to DFW in the next 1-3 years, but we'll see what happens. I'm not actively searching, but if a good opportunity came available in DFW I might have to take it.

I didn't much care for Dallas. But to each his own...

tbl
8/6/2006, 09:07 PM
ok...

Even I have to question this one...

I haven't been to Georgia in a long time.

They must be pretty darn bad if you think they are worse than here.

I do remember that Atlanta was growing so fast that they were having trouble keeping the infrastructure / roads up-to-date.
Dude... Look at any traffic list and Atlanta is always right up there with Houston, Miami, and LA. It's AWFUL.

Here's a couple of stats.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-02-19-traffic-bottlenecks_x.htm

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2005/05/dc_has_nations_third-worst_traffic/

Only the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas have worse traffic than Washington. This year’s big mover was Atlanta, which debuted in the “very large” city category at number four, just a notch below Washington.

And none of these actually tell the tale of the worst part of Atlanta traffic. Frankly, I'm fine with the highways, b/c I don't get on them at high traffic times. It's the red lights and all the backroads that are the real nightmare.

Blue
8/6/2006, 09:11 PM
Lebowski, where do you live in Atlanta?

StoopTroup
8/6/2006, 09:12 PM
I have a 4x4 truck because the streets here are so hard on cars.

tbl
8/6/2006, 09:14 PM
Women- You're smoking crack. Most women here look like Ms. Georgia, where as Ms. Oklahoma is the only looker in a 50 mile radius.

Roads?- If it isn't off the turnpike in Oklahoma, it's dead. Have you taken a ride down Hwy 81 from Enid to Waurika lately?
Where are these good looking women you speak of, b/c I don't see it. For one, I'm married, so I don't really spend time looking for them, so I might acquiesce on that point. ;)

I grew up in Duncan/Comanche, so I've taken the 81 treck many, many times in my life. The last time we were there was 5-6 months ago, and it hasn't changed any since I was a kid. Dead is good when it comes to traffic. I don't know anybody that has a big hankering to sit in a bunch of traffic.

By roads, I meant the layout and design. In Oklahoma & TX, it's N/S/E/W, and that's it (for the most part). Here, the roads curve all over the place and there's no rhyme or reason to any of it. In DFW, if a road changes names, it's typically one of the old FM roads. All the signs on that road will point that out, as well as give you the name of it.

tbl
8/6/2006, 09:19 PM
Lebowski, where do you live in Atlanta?
Southwest of Marietta in Paulding County. It's bad out here, but I go all over the area doing business, and it's the same thing everywhere you go. Roswell, Atlanta, Marietta, Alpharetta, Buckhead... it doesn't matter.

Frankly, my sour grapes with Atlanta have more to do with being out here solo, but all this other stuff I'm mentioning doesn't help things. It's just the wife and I and the kid (soon to be kids), and we don't have anybody here. No friends. No family. I'm a social person, and it's a real tough adjustment to make. We made the horrible decision of finding a house before we found a Church, and that's really the biggest mistakes I made. If I had a good solid Church to plug into, I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem with it here.

Blue
8/6/2006, 09:20 PM
By roads, I meant the layout and design. In Oklahoma & TX, it's N/S/E/W, and that's it (for the most part). Here, the roads curve all over the place and there's no rhyme or reason to any of it. In DFW, if a road changes names, it's typically one of the old FM roads. All the signs on that road will point that out, as well as give you the name of it.

It's called hills. ;)

Btw, I lived in Duncan around 85-88' about 100 yards from that Braums that sits there now. Right by the country club.

King Crimson
8/6/2006, 09:24 PM
I played the Duncun Country Club a couple times in high school tournaments. we stayed at the Chisolm Trail Motel.

i'd rather live in Atlanta than Dallas.....but a place where you have to spend as much time in the car to go *anywhere* doesn't appeal to me.

tbl
8/6/2006, 09:27 PM
That's true. One thing OK & DFW don't have are hills, so it makes road design in the midwest extremely easy.

There still is no excuse for the red light situation.... ;)

Blue
8/6/2006, 09:27 PM
Southwest of Marietta in Paulding County. It's bad out here, but I go all over the area doing business, and it's the same thing everywhere you go. Roswell, Atlanta, Marietta, Alpharetta, Buckhead... it doesn't matter.

Frankly, my sour grapes with Atlanta have more to do with being out here solo, but all this other stuff I'm mentioning doesn't help things. It's just the wife and I and the kid (soon to be kids), and we don't have anybody here. No friends. No family. I'm a social person, and it's a real tough adjustment to make. We made the horrible decision of finding a house before we found a Church, and that's really the biggest mistakes I made. If I had a good solid Church to plug into, I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem with it here.

Well, I don't have to deal with the traffic that much since I'm in North Gwinnett(Buford, Lake Lanier area). I'm also a social person and I have some friends w/ children down in your area(Mabelton). I show my *** on here tri-monthly, but I'm a decent guy and I would be happy to introduce you guys to some good people. I myself still like to go downtown.(My buddy owns a restaraunt in Little 5 points- Wisteria" If you ever want to meet up, let me know. I'm not psychotic and you and your wife could get a chance to hang out.

tbl
8/6/2006, 09:29 PM
I played the Duncun Country Club a couple times in high school tournaments. we stayed at the Chisolm Trail Motel.

i'd rather live in Atlanta than Dallas.....but a place where you have to spend as much time in the car to go *anywhere* doesn't appeal to me.
Have you lived in both?

Remember: Norman is only a short 2.5/3 hour drive away, Sooner sports are discussed frequently on DFW radio, you can find OU merchandise anywhere, and the RRW is right in your backyard.

Blue
8/6/2006, 09:34 PM
I think it's all in where your heart is....(Cheesy Natalie Portman movie, I know)

I just took a road trip for three weeks through every western state and National park and as cool as that was, i was glad to get home.

King Crimson
8/6/2006, 09:41 PM
Have you lived in both?

Remember: Norman is only a short 2.5/3 hour drive away, Sooner sports are discussed frequently on DFW radio, you can find OU merchandise anywhere, and the RRW is right in your backyard.

i've never lived in either one, and other than moving back to Norman (my hometown) i don't plan on leaving Denver--though it's possible job stuff could present a change, of course. but, based on my experience in both, i'd rather give ATL a shot if i had to choose.

Okla-homey
8/6/2006, 09:46 PM
The ATL suburbs have a lot to recommend them. The City of Atlanta however, is run by a bunch of nincompoops.

Traffic at rush hour blows. The city grew too fast in the 80's and 90's and the planning just didn't keep up.

Its blazing hot in summer and the humidity is a killer.

Other than that, its all good.

olevetonahill
8/6/2006, 11:55 PM

Things to do- Atl>Ok
Scenery- Atl>Ok

Oklahoma
DUH.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/7/2006, 09:03 AM
TD - where are you training?

I ask because Alpharetta is the HQ for our MES software of which I live my life for.

Alpharetta's a nice, new little techie town.

Atlanta is teh succ. I hate it with the power of 1,000 August-in-Oklahoma-suns...

C&CDean
8/7/2006, 09:14 AM
Blue,

There are some very large cities that I travel to that I love. Chicago. San Francisco. Baltimore. Kansas City. San Diego. St. Louis.

There are some that I hate. Boston. NYC. Atlanta. Dallas.

The thing that sucks most about Atlanta, is that the only thing it used to have going for it was it's "southern charm." Now, it doesn't even have that. Hell, go in a bar/restaurant and close your eyes. You'd swear you were in NYC. And the traffic. And the downtown area pretty much shuts down at 5 pm. And the cost. And the rude people.

Oklahoma's greatest resource (besides Sooner football) is it's people. And as bad as OK roads are, Atlanta's are worse. Much worse.

And anybody who makes the claim "the girls are purtier in................." is just plain dumb. The prettiest girl I've ever seen was in Shellsburg, Iowa. Pretty women are everywhere. Chances are a place with 10 million people will have a few more pretty girls than a place with 10K, no?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/7/2006, 09:30 AM
Its blazing hot in summer and the humidity is a killer.

Other than that, its all good.

I would question that...ATL is rather cool from a Southern summer temp side, but 90 degrees is still hot. Our house was one of the first homes that had AC in the neighborhood (built in early 70s). The house still had a whole house attic fan (very common) and a car port to help cool the house.

I agree with Dean ATL = Southern NYC. Too many damn Yankees have moved to ATL and have ruined its Southern charm and feel.

Top Dog in 2000, if you want to check out my H.S. haunts, head over to the Perimeter Mall. That area used to be the mall and trees, its changed a great deal now...Oh and the suggestion for the Cyclorama is awesome, I had forgotten about it...I think they call it the CIvil War history museum or some such as the person said earlier, but it is still the Cyclorama...

Blue
8/7/2006, 03:40 PM
Blue,

There are some very large cities that I travel to that I love. Chicago. San Francisco. Baltimore. Kansas City. San Diego. St. Louis.

There are some that I hate. Boston. NYC. Atlanta. Dallas.

The thing that sucks most about Atlanta, is that the only thing it used to have going for it was it's "southern charm." Now, it doesn't even have that. Hell, go in a bar/restaurant and close your eyes. You'd swear you were in NYC. And the traffic. And the downtown area pretty much shuts down at 5 pm. And the cost. And the rude people.

Oklahoma's greatest resource (besides Sooner football) is it's people. And as bad as OK roads are, Atlanta's are worse. Much worse.

And anybody who makes the claim "the girls are purtier in................." is just plain dumb. The prettiest girl I've ever seen was in Shellsburg, Iowa. Pretty women are everywhere. Chances are a place with 10 million people will have a few more pretty girls than a place with 10K, no?

I was making the "purty girl" comment, in relation to going to school at OU, Bama, and Auburn. Yes, there are lookers everywhere, I just think the South has more of them.

I'll give you all those Atl. arguments, but Ok is not better than my hometown of Mobile, Al.

So there.:D

C&CDean
8/7/2006, 06:41 PM
I was making the "purty girl" comment, in relation to going to school at OU, Bama, and Auburn. Yes, there are lookers everywhere, I just think the South has more of them.

I'll give you all those Atl. arguments, but Ok is not better than my hometown of Mobile, Al.

So there.:D

Mobile? I once dated the watermelon queen of Alabama. True story. And she couldn't carry BSG's jock.

StoopTroup
8/7/2006, 07:00 PM
Mobile? I once dated the watermelon queen of Alabama. True story. And she couldn't carry BSG's jock.
You've got to post a pic of her now. :D

Blue
8/7/2006, 07:40 PM

Well If we're comparing these women to BlondeSoonerGirl, then they'll never quite be up to snuff, now will they?

TopDaugIn2000
8/7/2006, 08:32 PM
TD - where are you training?

I ask because Alpharetta is the HQ for our MES software of which I live my life for.

Alpharetta's a nice, new little techie town.

Atlanta is teh succ. I hate it with the power of 1,000 August-in-Oklahoma-suns...

ETON systems. it's the ceiling conveyor system that delivers our covers to each sewing station throughout the plant. I'm in charge of programming and troubleshooting the system. I've used it for nearly a year, but since my boss is leaving we thought I should go through their "offishul" training session. It's only 2 days, but I built in a day for "other" (aquarium) things.

and yeah, I really like alpharetta. pretty place.

Cam
8/7/2006, 09:06 PM
Mellow Mushroom and Little Five Points brings back some memories. I miss 3 Dollar Cafe as well.

The day we decided to have kids was the day we decided to move out of Atlanta. The traffic just plain sucks. We lived in Marietta and it took 25 minutes to get to any of the highways. We lived 15 miles from work and a quick commute was an hour. Never again.

Oh, then there's the humidity. Holly hell, it was like hitting a brick wall when you walked outside. Oh, and the people. Not the nicest people in the world. Then again, nobody's who lives in Atl is from Atl, so...

TUSooner
8/7/2006, 10:38 PM
I understand it's in Georgia.

lame
lame
lame
:O

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/8/2006, 11:08 AM
Well If we're comparing these women to BlondeSoonerGirl, then they'll never quite be up to snuff, now will they?

This is the best post of the 7:00pm hour on August 7th, 2006...EVER.

:twinkies:

TopDaugIn2000
8/8/2006, 08:45 PM
ok, I hate this place. beautiful area, but the traffic really ruined it for me.

my class let out about 4:45 and I was headed south back to the airport area to stay tonight. It took me FOUR HOURS to go about 25 miles. Now, I admit, I did stop at 3 bike shops ALONG THE WAY, but STILL. It was NUTS. Lost count of the # of accidents. Just stupid.

Going to the aquarium in the morning and then gettin the hell outta here.

Blue
8/8/2006, 08:52 PM
ok, I hate this place. beautiful area, but the traffic really ruined it for me.

my class let out about 4:45 and I was headed south back to the airport area to stay tonight. It took me FOUR HOURS to go about 25 miles. Now, I admit, I did stop at 3 bike shops ALONG THE WAY, but STILL. It was NUTS. Lost count of the # of accidents. Just stupid.

Going to the aquarium in the morning and then gettin the hell outta here.

Ya just gotta know when to get out there.

TopDaugIn2000
8/8/2006, 08:56 PM
I didn't have much of a choice. once class let out, it was too late. and I stopped by the bike stores to break it up a bit, otherwise I would have gone COMPLETELY nuts just sitting still in traffic.

tbl
8/8/2006, 09:06 PM
I told you, dude. Everything else people have said is true as well.

Southern hospitality is truly hard to find. Oklahoma and Texas have them beat there, hands down.

Always book flights so that you're avoiding traffic. I fly about twice a week and I always fly out way early and get back right around 6:30-7:00.

Man I really hate it here. ;) Look at it this way; at least you get to get on a plane and leave for good.

LSUMeathead
8/8/2006, 09:25 PM
My buddy owns a restaurant in Little 5 points- Wisteria

I assume you mean Jason Hill. Wisteria is probably one of the best restaurants in the city (and I am from New Orleans, so I know good food). I took my wife there for our first date & we go back every year for our anniversary, Valentine's day, and any other special event. Jason is a great guy. I only know him from the restaurant, but he remembers me every time we come in.

As for the rest of the jackassery that is being coughed up on her about Hotlanta, I will respond shortly. But for now, I will only say that it sounds like some of you are scared of the big city while others are so proud to hate the city that you don't care to learn how to like it.

tbl
8/8/2006, 09:31 PM
I wish I could like it here. I REALLY do. I see no end in sight as to when I'm getting out, so I don't want to be in this mindset the whole time I'm here. Show me the way... seriously.

BTW, I love the big city, but ATL can't hang with DFW as far as cities go. It never will...

LSUMeathead
8/8/2006, 09:39 PM
Two words:

Atlanta sucks.

Funny how you listed the top three tourist hot spots in the city & condemned it from there. Buckhead? Underground? Braves game? Locals avoid 2 of those three for a reason. Buckhead used to be cool & fun until it was overrun by a questionable demographic (thanks MARTA!). The same goes for Underground. And Braves games are the bomb, so I will simply say that you are on crack.

As for the ATL being NYC South, you say it like it is a bad thing. So let me understand this. A monster economy, jobs everywhere, money practically falling from the sky for any fool to grab onto, a melting pot mixture of cultures, and the glory of still living in the South? Yeah...that really sucks!!

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 10:17 PM
Mellow Mushroom and Little Five Points brings back some memories. I miss 3 Dollar Cafe as well....

Three Dollar Cafe is all CLOSED. They were just about the best wings in town.

Now all we have is Taco Mac (BEER HEAVEN) and Wild Wings (SUK)

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 10:28 PM
Georgia is a great place to live. I have lived here since 89 and I love it. You will be hard pressed to find a prettier place in the US. The mountains here are spectacular.
Anyways, traffic is bad and it is bad everywhere ! Take Oklahoma's population and increase it to 4 million and see what happens. The roads here are better, layout is what it has to be because of the terrain but the road quality in OK has always been riddled with potholes and anyone saying different is lying through their teeth. Georgia spends lots of money for road construction.
This is a crappy subject that has no end. I love Oklahoma and it was awesome while I lived there (Westmoore High Rocks) and Georgia is now my home and I love it here. Both States have dislikes and likes. You just have to roll with it.

8/8/2006, 10:35 PM
I like Atlanta.

I remember this repair dude asking me to "get in theya and see what it start."

Might have been rural Louisianna, but I think it was Atlanta.

I do remember I was headed to the 1986 Orange Bowl.

LSUMeathead
8/8/2006, 10:37 PM
As someone who has lived here for over 5 years, I think you have not been here long enough to make a solid judgement. Unfortunately, you have already pre-judged the city, so you have no chance of ever liking it here.

I'm not comparing it to Oklahoma. I grew up in Oklahoma, but I lived in Dallas/Fort Worth for over 10 years, and Atlanta can't hold a candle to DFW. DFW beats Atlanta in every single category, and there is no argument you can make to prove otherwise. I've lived in both and Texas rocks Georgia's butt off.
I am not going to start a big Dallas vs Atlanta debate because the two are not comparable. One is so ridiculously spread out that it takes you an hour to get from point A to point B with no traffic whatsoever, while the other is Atlanta. While I have never lived in DFW, I have been there many many times. I used to manage a team in Dallas & my wife practically lived in Fort Worth for a year while she was on a project for work. I like Fort Worth, but the Dallas metro area is a flat barren wasteland with massive tracts of nothing. And don't even start on the road situation. Both cities, it seems, are in a never ending loop of road construction/improvement.

Well, that is your problem right there. You live in the middle of BFE nowhere! Your story is exactly the same as the one I hear from just about every other person I know who lives in the sticks. "I hate the commute! The city sucks! Every time I go into Atlanta, I spend 4 hours in traffic! But I cannot live without my 5000 sq ft house on 5 acres of land that I got for $2.50 & a jawbreaker." I moved here at the beginning of 2001 and moved into the Emory area. I then bought a house in Brookhaven where I lived for 3 years until I moved to Smyrna 4 months ago. Sounds to me like the biggest problem you have is that you chose a poor location, especially considering how much you seem to travel around the city.

As for being here solo, how is that an issue if you really are a social person? Have you not made an attempt to connect with the OU alumni chapter? Have you done something to **** off your neighbors? Do your kids friends not have parents? I came here being in the exact same situation as you. No friends, no family, nothing. I joined organizations to meet people & ended up serving as president of the LSU alumni chapter. I met people at work & in my neighborhood. While my true closest friends are not here, I still have plenty of people here that I do stuff with.

So your real beef is homesickness? I will give you that Big XII sports are not as popular as SEC & ACC sports, but what do you expect? Hell, I have to live with UGA/Falcons talk all year which kills me as an LSU & Saints fan, but I would not expect them to do full shows on LSU unless they were playing UGA or GA Tech that week. If you want them to talk about OU sports, call into the sports shows. My experience is that they will talk about anything if you simply call them about it.

Southern hospitality is truly hard to find. Oklahoma and Texas have them beat there, hands down.
Are you walking up to people & punching them in the face as soon as you meet them? That is the only possible explanation I can think of for you to say that Southern hospitality doesn't exist in Atlanta. Apart from some of the most rural areas in the South, Atlanta is the most hospitable major city in the South. I won't argue hospitality in TX & OK, but to say that it does not exist in GA is idiocy.

I wish I could like it here. I REALLY do. I see no end in sight as to when I'm getting out, so I don't want to be in this mindset the whole time I'm here. Show me the way... seriously.

BTW, I love the big city, but ATL can't hang with DFW as far as cities go. It never will...
Like I said already, you have judged the city & it will never be good enough in your mind. Atlanta has so much good going for it. There is so much to do & so much opportunity. Unfortunately, you will never experience that because you are jaded. If someone is kind to you here, you will see it as an abnormality. If someone tries to be your friend, you will spend all your time telling them how much it sucks here.

It has to be in your best interest to move back to Dallas, Oklahoma, or ANYWHERE else because your hatred for this city will end up polluting the rest of your family until every one of you is miserable.

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 10:42 PM
Amen

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 10:44 PM
I was trying to get a get together for Sooner Fans on Gameday but I got no response other than sarcasm from the people on this board that live here.

LSUMeathead
8/8/2006, 10:51 PM
I was trying to get a get together for Sooner Fans on Gameday but I got no response other than sarcasm from the people on this board that live here.
My last house in Brookhaven was across the street from Jocks & Jills. Their back room is RESERVED for OU!! The whole place is decked out with OU memorabilia. The OU alumni chapter brings tons of people there for game view-ins. It may not be a SoonerFans.com get-together, but it is a good place to meet OU fans on gameday.

So for anyone to say that there is nowhere to meet up with other OU fans, they just aren't looking hard enough.

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 10:54 PM
I did not know about Jocks and Jills...That is awesome and I will check it out. Thanks for that SOUTHERN hospitality.

LSUMeathead
8/8/2006, 10:56 PM
I did not know about Jocks and Jills...That is awesome and I will check it out. Thanks for that SOUTHERN hospitality.
Careful there...someone may start to think that Atlanta isn't such a bad place after all! :rolleyes:

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 11:00 PM
That is funny. I had some tough times here but I don't regret anything....Made lots of interesting fans. The love of Collge football out here in completely out of control and crazy....I LOVE IT

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 11:02 PM
This is the home of the Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta Thrashers, Georgia Force, Rome Braves and some others that I have missed but none compare to College Football season in this area (SouthEast).

LSUMeathead
8/8/2006, 11:05 PM
That is funny. I had some tough times here but I don't regret anything....Made lots of interesting fans. The love of Collge football out here in completely out of control and crazy....I LOVE IT
I agree completely. Before living here in Atlanta, I was in Baton Rouge. When you live in a college town, you are in a vacuum. You do not get any kind of input about other schools that is not slanted in some way.

Since I have lived here, I have been to a bunch of GA Tech football games and baseball games. I drive over to Auburn and UGA for games. Even if LSU is not playing. I have been to Falcons, Hawks, Braves, Thrashers, and even Gwinnett Gladiators games. This city may be the worst town for fans of the home team (ever go to Turner field when the Red Sox are in town?), but it is easily the greatest sports town in the South.

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 11:12 PM
No dount about it. I am a huge Braves fan and know all about visiting teams (boo). I have gone to a couple of Tech games in football and basketball since I work right next door. I grew up right outside of Norman and it was great. Lots of good times hanging out at Mr Bills with my friends and going to games and such but you are right it is kinda a vacuum. I went to the Alabama and Auburn game last season and it was a riot. I got lots of respect for my OU gear that I wore to the game. I was fed and given way to many drinks by total strangers it was great.

LSUMeathead
8/8/2006, 11:13 PM

Contact Randy Brogdon at (404) 885-3147 or [email protected] . He is the contact person for the OU Club of Atlanta. He can probably hook you up with anything you wanted to know.

And I am sure that thebiglebowski could get some info from him as well. :cool:

DrZaius
8/8/2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2006, 08:28 AM
(thanks MARTA!).

That's Martra to the locals...;)

Oh, and Underground ain't what it used to be either...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2006, 08:31 AM

Now all we have is Taco Mac (BEER HEAVEN) and Wild Wings (SUK)

Is Manual's (Maloof) Tavern still open?

DrZaius
8/9/2006, 10:16 AM
Yes, they just celebrated their 50th year. A Bar of Bars

Blue
8/9/2006, 05:51 PM
I assume you mean Jason Hill. Wisteria is probably one of the best restaurants in the city (and I am from New Orleans, so I know good food). I took my wife there for our first date & we go back every year for our anniversary, Valentine's day, and any other special event. Jason is a great guy. I only know him from the restaurant, but he remembers me every time we come in.

Yeah, Jason. My best friend growing up is a waiter there and I go there quite a bit. He just opened up another restaraunt in the Highlands called, Fazoli.

Your right. The food is great.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/9/2006, 05:54 PM
Well.

I guess I need to clarify.

I have never lived in Atlanta so let me say I hate visiting Atlanta. Hate. It.

That's all.

bellefay1
8/9/2006, 10:56 PM
Is Manual's (Maloof) Tavern still open?

yes...manuels is still open and doing well.

the traffic here does suck if your'e going north on 85 or 400...daily. inside the city is quite feasible to get around in if you know where you're going. all the roads are horse and buggy roads...so nothing really goes straight.

few thoughts:

if you're going to the aquarium...go early and park down there. you can park a block away for 5 bucks. order your ticker and pick your time online...the earlier the better. the stroller crowd starts kicking around lunch time.

buckhead does suck. if you're looking to get a drink..highlands is the way to go. darkhorse, blind willies, ashford park, moe's and joe's all have character and is not full of the places where the "nyc south" crowd hangs. personal favorite (not for the faint of heart) the infamous, as seen on comedy central's insomniac with dave attell....the clermont lounge.

downtown is not dead. in fact, more and more people are moving down there and giving it life. i'm not saying walking around 10th street @ 2am is fun, but, between atlantic station, loca luna, the twisted taco and the cheetah...you can get yourself into some fun.

you missed the falcons playing in piedmont park (near the best jocks and jills on 14th and peachtree) last saturday. that was fun.

anyway's, sorry for sounding high and mighty. i've lived in atlanta for 25 years and acutually live inside the perimeter. the north side (where it sounded like you were) with all the folks that left for cheap property over the last 15 years is horrible now. they're starting to move back down into infill housing homes.

sidenote:

CYNTHIA MCKINNEY IS GONE!!! WOOHOOO!!!

TopDaugIn2000
8/10/2006, 11:30 AM
Boy am I glad I flew home last night.........WHEW!

Cam
8/12/2006, 06:53 PM
That sucks.

tbl
8/12/2006, 07:13 PM
Contact Randy Brogdon at (404) 885-3147 or [email protected] . He is the contact person for the OU Club of Atlanta. He can probably hook you up with anything you wanted to know.

And I am sure that thebiglebowski could get some info from him as well. :cool:
I went there last year for the UCLA game. The atmosphere there was awesome, and I'll definitely be going there for some games this year.

tbl
8/12/2006, 07:32 PM
As someone who has lived here for over 5 years, I think you have not been here long enough to make a solid judgement. Unfortunately, you have already pre-judged the city, so you have no chance of ever liking it here.

I would agree that I haven't been here long enough to make a solid judgment, but that is my opinion as of right now. I haven't pre-judged it. I had high hopes when I moved out here. My opinion has changed pretty significantly since then though, for different reasons...

I am not going to start a big Dallas vs Atlanta debate because the two are not comparable. One is so ridiculously spread out that it takes you an hour to get from point A to point B with no traffic whatsoever, while the other is Atlanta. While I have never lived in DFW, I have been there many many times. I used to manage a team in Dallas & my wife practically lived in Fort Worth for a year while she was on a project for work. I like Fort Worth, but the Dallas metro area is a flat barren wasteland with massive tracts of nothing. And don't even start on the road situation. Both cities, it seems, are in a never ending loop of road construction/improvement.

So D/FW is more spread out than Atlanta??? I'd say the two metro area's are about the same in area, but like you pointed out, DFW has a MUCH better highway system and you can get all over the metro in 1/4 as much traffic as here. If something is 30 miles away in DFW, plan on around 20-30 minutes. Here, go ahead and double it to an hour. You can't argue the roads, and you know that.
Scenery, I give to Atlanta, as well as weather. However I got used to the open layout of DFW, so I never feel like I'm in the city here. Every interstate is surrounded by trees, so you constantly feel like you're in the forest and not the city. Some people like that, but not so much with me.

Well, that is your problem right there. You live in the middle of BFE nowhere! Your story is exactly the same as the one I hear from just about every other person I know who lives in the sticks. "I hate the commute! The city sucks! Every time I go into Atlanta, I spend 4 hours in traffic! But I cannot live without my 5000 sq ft house on 5 acres of land that I got for $2.50 & a jawbreaker." I moved here at the beginning of 2001 and moved into the Emory area. I then bought a house in Brookhaven where I lived for 3 years until I moved to Smyrna 4 months ago. Sounds to me like the biggest problem you have is that you chose a poor location, especially considering how much you seem to travel around the city.

Actually, I don't. I'm about 5-10 minutes from Marietta, and I wouldn't consider that middle of nowhere. Our office is in Smyrna, and that's only a 25-35 minute drive. I don't travel around the city that much, but when I do, it's the suck.

As for being here solo, how is that an issue if you really are a social person? Have you not made an attempt to connect with the OU alumni chapter? Have you done something to **** off your neighbors? Do your kids friends not have parents? I came here being in the exact same situation as you. No friends, no family, nothing. I joined organizations to meet people & ended up serving as president of the LSU alumni chapter. I met people at work & in my neighborhood. While my true closest friends are not here, I still have plenty of people here that I do stuff with.

As a Christian, I only make friendships with likeminded believers. I haven't found a Church yet, and that's been our biggest problem. It was totally my fault for moving before I found a Church, but I figured there would be plenty of good Churches in Atlanta, considering it's in the south. Most of my frustration has been on myself, and that has rolled over into nitpicking ATL.
I office out of the house, so that's not an option.
My daughter is 2 1/2, so she's not into anything.
The wife doesn't work, so nothing there either.

So your real beef is homesickness? I will give you that Big XII sports are not as popular as SEC & ACC sports, but what do you expect? Hell, I have to live with UGA/Falcons talk all year which kills me as an LSU & Saints fan, but I would not expect them to do full shows on LSU unless they were playing UGA or GA Tech that week. If you want them to talk about OU sports, call into the sports shows. My experience is that they will talk about anything if you simply call them about it.

The sports thing really wasn't a huge point of complaint for me, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Are you walking up to people & punching them in the face as soon as you meet them? That is the only possible explanation I can think of for you to say that Southern hospitality doesn't exist in Atlanta. Apart from some of the most rural areas in the South, Atlanta is the most hospitable major city in the South. I won't argue hospitality in TX & OK, but to say that it does not exist in GA is idiocy.

Obviously I'm not saying that it doesn't exist here at all. I'm just saying that as a whole, it's not as hospitable as TX/OK. Honestly, I think most of that has to do with racial tension...

Like I said already, you have judged the city & it will never be good enough in your mind. Atlanta has so much good going for it. There is so much to do & so much opportunity. Unfortunately, you will never experience that because you are jaded. If someone is kind to you here, you will see it as an abnormality. If someone tries to be your friend, you will spend all your time telling them how much it sucks here.

Not true. At the time I was posting, I was having a bad day about the city, so my thoughts at the time were a little more bitter than normal. You know how it is, man. You move somewhere and those homesick emotions do set in. I didn't realize, but I guess I am a homeboy. I've always lived near my family, and while they drive me batty sometimes, moving away has been a big adjustment.

It has to be in your best interest to move back to Dallas, Oklahoma, or ANYWHERE else because your hatred for this city will end up polluting the rest of your family until every one of you is miserable.

My wife feels the exact same way I do. We're trying a Church in Woodstock tomorrow, so hopefully that will pull things together. It's an hour away, but I already know some people there so hopefully it will be the place we're supposed to be serving in.

afs
8/16/2006, 10:04 PM
:pop:

tbl
8/16/2006, 11:03 PM
AFS is evil.... ;)