PDA

View Full Version : Practices to be closed to the media and public starting monday

HarrisTubbsFan
8/5/2006, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure about scrimmages. I'm guessing they would be opened to the public.

westcoast_sooner
8/5/2006, 11:01 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Lets the players focus on practice and preparation rather than media attention. And, it should help build the kind of attitude that Stoops wants. I'm sure there will be critics who think that the coaching staff are covering things up, but I think it's a shrewd move so that Stoops and Co. can get the guys focused.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/5/2006, 11:03 PM
I also think some of it has to do with the increased media interest trying to pry for information on the Bomar thing. But that's more of a theory. I do think it's obvious that Stoops doesn't want a repeat of last year.

soonerloyal
8/6/2006, 12:03 AM
Whatever the boys want/need to focus and gel as a team. Good to go.

47straight
8/6/2006, 03:45 AM
Dang... open practices are a ******TREAT****** for fans. I've made it each of the last three years to at least one, wasn't going to make it this year anyway. I would catch a morning session, less fans.

I was always paranoid that a fan would get out of line and BLAM - Stoops would shut it down, and 1 joker would ruin it for everyone. I hope this decision is only b/c of the unusually heightened media/public pressure associated with the QB situation, and not a permanent move. FWIW, I always love ripped on the whorns because dang near ALL of their practices are closed.

Sco
8/6/2006, 07:28 AM
Surprise... looks like no one expected us to be so awesome against UAB!!!

That's gonna rock.

TMcGee86
8/6/2006, 09:28 AM
I was kinda hoping this would happen when I heard all the media last week saying that we wern't running any new plays with ENA behind center.

Now, hopefully, the coaches can install some new tweaks to the O, to take advantage of ENA's skills and we can actually surprise some teams, at least early on.

Flagstaffsooner
8/6/2006, 12:00 PM
Ninja double secret practice. Watch out boys!

umberto
8/6/2006, 12:02 PM
I read in the Daily Disappointment that they were closing practices so they could begin to add a few new "wrinkles" for PT.

MamaMia
8/6/2006, 12:29 PM
Sounds good to me. Now, if they would just keep the opposing teams coaches from [spying]visiting[spying]. I know they do that as a courtesy, but still. It just never made sense to me, unless they made sure they didn't run any new plays while they were standing right there.

The Consumate Showman
8/6/2006, 02:21 PM
Right now, the scrimmages are going to be open to the public, BUT...that could change. Stoops could close it all down. I think he'll open up the 12th and 19th scrimmages to satisy the media, but I would bet that at 26th scrimmage (if there is one scheduled) would be closed since it will be the week before UAB...

Flagstaffsooner
8/6/2006, 02:31 PM
Must gonna be puttin in some new funky offense.:D

http://eteamz.active.com/admin/econtent/images/923.jpg

FaninAma
8/6/2006, 03:03 PM
I was kinda hoping this would happen when I heard all the media last week saying that we wern't running any new plays with ENA behind center.

Now, hopefully, the coaches can install some new tweaks to the O, to take advantage of ENA's skills and we can actually surprise some teams, at least early on.

They're going to have to develop an offense that emphasizes Thompson's strengths. His weaknesses right now are(IMO) :

1.Difficulties reading defenses.
2.Inaccurate long ball.
3.So-so accuracy on short passes.
4.Fast but doesn't see the field well when running(ie. doesn't see the running lanes downfield).

Defenses are going to load up the box and cover the short passes and play man on man with the deep receivers. Make no doubt about it, PT will need to make some plays and Wilson will need to be very creative in his gameplan.

RedstickSooner
8/6/2006, 03:41 PM
They're going to have to develop an offense that emphasizes Thompson's strengths. His weaknesses right now are(IMO) :

2.Inaccurate long ball.
4.Fast but doesn't see the field well when running(ie. doesn't see the running lanes downfield).

So... You're saying, basically, his weaknesses are that he's not very good at quarterbacking?

:eek:

He'd still make a decent receiver, though, right? :D

Dude's a senior, maybe he just needs to settle in and enjoy himself, and he'll blossom. Hybl did that his senior year, after a rocky road earlier.

FaninAma
8/6/2006, 06:45 PM
So... You're saying, basically, his weaknesses are that he's not very good at quarterbacking?

:eek:

He'd still make a decent receiver, though, right? :D

Dude's a senior, maybe he just needs to settle in and enjoy himself, and he'll blossom. Hybl did that his senior year, after a rocky road earlier.

My honest opinion is that Paul thinks too much. The position isn't instinctive to him. It's the thinking and hesitancy that is the biggest problem Thompson has to overcome, IMO. I don't know if he can ever overcome the lack of instincts at the position but we'll see.

C&CDean
8/6/2006, 06:55 PM
I've said it in other threads, and I'll say it here. PT ain't a QB. NO way, NO how.

He's a great Sooner, but he'll never be an even average QB.

sooner94
8/6/2006, 09:48 PM

2.Inaccurate long ball.

Defenses are going to load up the box and cover the short passes and play man on man with the deep receivers. Make no doubt about it, PT will need to make some plays and Wilson will need to be very creative in his gameplan.

That's kind of funny, that his weaknesses would prevent anyone from being a good QB. Unfortunately, I think you are pretty accurate on that list.

Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen in the next 3 weeks. I'm going to start going to church and pray for one. I'll even send some $$$ to Jerry Falwell too.

The Consumate Showman
8/6/2006, 11:19 PM
I've said it in other threads, and I'll say it here. PT ain't a QB. NO way, NO how.

Could we all breath a little here and NOT dog on our starting QB??

Can you honestly say that PT got a fair shake at QB last season?

Can you honestly say that a QB who knows that in the back of his mind that the first big screw up he makes might cost him his job is going to be a relaxed and steady QB??

Give Paul a little time man. I think guys like Heupel, Hybl, and White have spoiled us. Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% sold on PT myself, but I'm willing to let him try to prove it on the field before I judge...

badger
8/6/2006, 11:21 PM

it's been a year since TCU. Please give the guy a chance.

C&CDean
8/7/2006, 08:34 AM
Oh I'll be the guy out there screaming for him the loudest. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING would make me happier than to see PT (saying ENA is gay, BTW) lead this team to the promised land. What a story that would be. Cinder-****in'-rella baby, all the way. Could you imagine all the media fools fawning all over him? Hell, it'd be bigger than Rudy.

I'm an eternal optimist. I always think we'll be undefeated. I've been ragged out on this board many times by those "scientific" football fans who always predict 2-3 losses, and then offer up a bunch of BS as "proof."

Right now, we're undefeated. PT is the man. I hope that's the case in January. However, knowing what I know about the two players - based on game performance/practice performance - tells me Halzle is the better QB. But hey, Vince Young couldn't QB his way out of a paper sack, and look at him, so who knows?