PDA

View Full Version : That wacky Steve Spurrier

royalfan5
8/5/2006, 07:52 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/college-football/our-polling-process-may-be-flawed-192324.php

giving Duke a vote in his poll as appreciation for his time there. That folks is why preseason polls are joke.

SicEmBaylor
8/5/2006, 07:59 PM
I admire that.

Blue
8/5/2006, 08:04 PM
I don't. It shows favoritism in the most blatant way.

Luckily there's more than 10 people voting or Duke would be a top 10 team.

GottaHavePride
8/5/2006, 09:31 PM
I don't. It shows favoritism in the most blatant way.

Luckily there's more than 10 people voting or Duke would be a top 10 team.

1. It's preseason.

2. Spurrier only does that on the first poll, and has been doing it for years from most accounts.

Blue
8/5/2006, 11:06 PM
1. It's preseason.

2. Spurrier only does that on the first poll, and has been doing it for years from most accounts.

3. The preseason poll makes it very difficult for a good team ranked low to climb it during the season. Coaches should take it seriously.

Egeo
8/6/2006, 12:50 AM
he only gives duke the 25th spot i believe

and no matter what spurrier does, pretty much all human polls are a joke

cause the writers arent biased and know alot about football
and the coaches have tons of spare time to research ooc teams

Blue
8/6/2006, 12:52 AM
he only gives duke the 25th spot i believe

and no matter what spurrier does, pretty much all human polls are a joke

cause the writers arent biased and know alot about football
and the coaches have tons of spare time to research ooc teams

But the computers can't figure it out either! What do we do!

It's a vicious circle.

GDC
8/6/2006, 01:05 PM
Spurrier speaks of Bomar
By The Associated Press
8/6/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Less turbulence, same old problems with commitment. Steve Spurrier knows he's got plenty of work ahead to bring South Carolina a championship.

Spurrier can't wait to watch his younger players take the field when the Gamecocks open fall practice Saturday. Part of that is the usual excitedness coaches feel this time of year. But another part is sheer desperation.

"I wish I could say I was excited about our older guys, but some of them don't quite know the commitment level that's necessary," Spurrier said Friday.

A year ago, the run-up to Spurrier's debut season at South Carolina was a tabloid writer's dream with arrests, drug suspensions, lawsuits, fallout from team's 2004 brawl with Clemson, a flap with some state high school coaches and the looming team probation. This offseason has been relatively quiet.

Spurrier thinks the dismissals from last year showed those who remain that if they embarrass the team or the school, they won't be here anymore. "I can't say it's not going to happen, it could happen, not as regularly hopefully," Spurrier said.

Spurrier's brand of discipline sticks with some former assistants. Spurrier said he recently heard from Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who was Spurrier's defensive

coordinator at Florida from 1996-98, about possible NCAA violations by Sooners quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn.

Spurrier said Stoops told him that "if all this proves out, we'll just get rid of them." Both were kicked off the team Wednesday..

GreenSooner
8/6/2006, 01:37 PM
3. The preseason poll makes it very difficult for a good team ranked low to climb it during the season.
Yes. Which is why...

a) Preseason polls matter (though they shouldn't). And...

b) We need a performance-based playoff system, so we can do away with the BCS and the MNC once and for all. (Yeah, I know it will never happen, but a guy can always dream...)

Shaz-Bot
8/6/2006, 05:32 PM
OU had 1 or 2 points in the 1999 preseason coaches poll from Spurrier's vote.