PDA

View Full Version : Web Page Question...

GeneralCartmanLee
8/5/2006, 01:51 PM
Can someone give me the link to the website that can look back at old versions of a web page? Like a cached history? I thought it was a Google site but I can’t find it.

Thanks in advance
GCL

Sooner_Bob
8/5/2006, 02:17 PM
I think if you do a Google search for a site it will give you a link to view the cached version . . .

GeneralCartmanLee
8/5/2006, 02:21 PM
I tried that I got nothing....I accidentally deleted a webpage, I don’t have a backup. I just need the text from that page. I knew FrontPage was going to bite me in the *** one day.

Vaevictis
8/5/2006, 02:24 PM
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Try that.

Sooner_Bob
8/5/2006, 02:39 PM
I tried that I got nothing....I accidentally deleted a webpage, I don’t have a backup. I just need the text from that page. I knew FrontPage was going to bite me in the *** one day.

I actually had that happen to me one day . . . I was able to view the cached version from the GIS.

I'd strongly suggest using something else besides FrontPage. There's a free program called Nvu that is supposed to be much better.

etouffee
8/5/2006, 02:43 PM
people still use frontpage? jeebis. i thought that p.o.s. died back in 2000 or 01.

OUTromBoNado
8/5/2006, 02:48 PM
Apparently FP 2003 has some pretty useful extensions or some such. I just bought some webspace and a domain. I'm going to start playing with some of the advanced content managers like Joomla and Drupal to build my new site.

etouffee
8/5/2006, 02:50 PM
I'd highly recommend Drupal over Joomla.

What exactly are you planning to do with the site?

GeneralCartmanLee
8/5/2006, 11:32 PM
thanks guys....still no dice.
I guess it wasn't online long enough to be cached.

GeneralCartmanLee
8/5/2006, 11:37 PM
people still use frontpage? jeebis. i thought that p.o.s. died back in 2000 or 01.

I like FP 2003, but my problem is that I build it live in real time. There is no copy on my hard drive and I don't have to FTP it every time I make a small change. Most of the time this is good, except when you forget to do backups.
Lesson learned....Backup my files

OUTromBoNado
8/6/2006, 03:01 AM
I'd highly recommend Drupal over Joomla.

What exactly are you planning to do with the site?

I lost my old web site, so I'm redesigning it. It's going to have all of my photos, videos, and logs from my storm chases. Ideally, I'm hoping to have some kind of "update blog" on the main page. I'd like to be able to write a log of my storm chase and have it on a dedicated page separate from the other logs. I might open up a subdomain for another blog of some kind.

I can do all of this simply and easily without PHP or anything. I just want to be fancy and try something new. Oh yeah, I know about as much about PHP and advanced content managers as :mack: know about coaching.

yermom
8/6/2006, 03:55 AM
all the goofy HTML code Frontpage adds is enough to not use it

etouffee
8/6/2006, 08:07 AM
I lost my old web site, so I'm redesigning it. It's going to have all of my photos, videos, and logs from my storm chases. Ideally, I'm hoping to have some kind of "update blog" on the main page. I'd like to be able to write a log of my storm chase and have it on a dedicated page separate from the other logs. I might open up a subdomain for another blog of some kind.

I can do all of this simply and easily without PHP or anything. I just want to be fancy and try something new. Oh yeah, I know about as much about PHP and advanced content managers as :mack: know about coaching.

You might want to look into Expression Engine. I've used it on a number of projects and it's a very solid CMS.