PDA

View Full Version : Will Bomar be back in 2007

SouthernSooner
8/5/2006, 10:18 AM
I was just curious because I have not heard that OU has released him from his Scholarship. He has to be released before he can seek transfer. As in the case with Dusty a couple of seasons ago, will he just ride out the season going to school and then be re-instated? Though I find Bomar's and the dealership I shall not speak of deeds completley ****ed. Bomar still has great potential. Will Stoops give his caracter time to develop like he did with Dusty? What is the scenario when the NCAA finds that OU correctly handled the situation and no further penalties are needed? Does Stoops give him a second chance? Would that not fall in line with what he has done with other troubled players?

A question for those that are living in Norman, Has the dealership that shall remain nameless been properly hashed in the local press? Do you think that OU should relieve themselves of that booster? Why have the fans not teamed up and gone over to the dealership I shall not name with Baseball bats and crushed every car in thier lot?

You know as fans we have more power over boosters than universities!
All we have to do is stop doing business with said boosters business. There should be more pride in OU as fans to want to wreck this guy for trying to wreck OU.

soonerjoker
8/5/2006, 10:21 AM
no

SoonerWood
8/5/2006, 10:22 AM
no

x2

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2006, 10:33 AM
Coach said he was waiting to find out where Bomar and Quinn wanted to go, and then he'd release them from the scholly......they'll never wear a sooner uni again

SouthernSooner
8/5/2006, 10:40 AM
thanks

SouthernSooner
8/5/2006, 11:34 AM
Just to make myself feel better I have been sending hate emails to the dealership that will remain nameless for the past couple of days now. Today I wished they all came down with pancreatic cancer. heh

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2006, 11:38 AM
Just to make myself feel better I have been sending hate emails to the dealership that will remain nameless for the past couple of days now. Today I wished they all came down with pancreatic cancer. heh

you do realize they're under new ownership and that the new owners had nothing to do with the scandal?

SouthernSooner
8/5/2006, 11:41 AM
Yea, they have a big diclaimer on their website but I don't believe it. It is all just a big conspiracy. They are all guilty.

Snrfn4ever08
8/5/2006, 12:23 PM
i wish i could find the article for you, but the press release from bob stoops when all of this happened said they were permanently dismissed with no way of ever returning

SouthernSooner
8/5/2006, 12:56 PM
i wish i could find the article for you, but the press release from bob stoops when all of this happened said they were permanently dismissed with no way of ever returning

Thats cool. I have read that but took it with a grain of salt since they still have not released the scholarships. But maybe they are just waiting to see where they want to go.

Does anyone know if this indeed give us 2 more scholly's for this recruitment year or is ther some kind of phantom NCAA jerk off rule about not being able to use it until 2008.

StoopTroup
8/5/2006, 01:40 PM
I can't speak for Bob or the University but in reading about this story...one of the biggest things RB and JDQ did was lie about it all.

If there was anything that put the final nail in the coffin for them...I believe that lying to your mentors is one that they will be forgiven for...but not forgotten.

Fool me once...shame on you...

Fool me twice....

usmc-sooner
8/5/2006, 02:09 PM
I think Rhett will end up transferring to Fowler Dodge and re-unite with Brad MaCrae.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/5/2006, 02:11 PM
Fool me once...shame on you...

Fool me twice........Uhh uhhh uhhhh, not gonna fool me again

Fixed ;)

Sooner98
8/5/2006, 02:11 PM
Yea, they have a big diclaimer on their website but I don't believe it. It is all just a big conspiracy. They are all guilty.

Mmmkay.

GDC
8/5/2006, 03:24 PM
Notebook: Bomar's next stop?
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/5/2006

The coach at NCAA Div. II Texas A&M-Commerce told ESPN.com on Friday that he has asked OU to release Rhett Bomar from his scholarship on the chance Bomar might consider transferring into his program.

"From what we know right now, he looks like a kid who just made a mistake," A&M-Commerce coach Scotty Conley said.

That being, he violated NCAA extra benefits legislation by accepting money from Norman car dealership Big Red Sports and Imports, and was subsequently kicked off the team.

OU will almost certainly grant Bomar a release, but that will not free him to quarterback at another NCAA school.

To regain his eligibility, Bomar must have his next school submit a reinstatement request to the NCAA on his behalf. The NCAA would then either grant him full reinstatement, partial reinstatement with some kind of suspension, or declare him ineligible once more.

The only way for Bomar to sidestep the process would be to transfer to a non-NCAA institution.

Simmons recovering: Brian Simmons, in line to move up the depth chart with the dismissal of guard J.D. Quinn, sat out another day of preseason drills Friday with a knee injury. The 6-foot-4, 285-pound redshirt freshman tore cartilage last summer and may

not be ready to play until a few weeks into the season.

It's a tough blow for Simmons, who took significant snaps last spring after moving from defensive tackle. The depth chart published in OU's media guide had him behind Quinn at right guard.

During the Sooners' two practices thus far, junior college transfer Brandon Walker has been first-team right guard.

Another good day: On Friday, for the second straight night, Bob Stoops came off the field praising Paul Thompson.

"I thought Paul, for the limited number of days he has been out here, threw some really good balls," Stoops said.

As was the case Thursday, Thompson's best pass Friday was completed to wide receiver Malcolm Kelly. During the 11-on-11 drill, Kelly went over corner D.J. Wolfe to pull in a 40-yard completion for a touchdown.

Watch list: Defensive back Reggie Smith has been named to the preseason watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is presented annually to the nation's best college defensive back..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GDC
8/5/2006, 03:25 PM
Bomar, Quinn could retain OU scholarships
By Staff Reports
8/5/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

In the unlikely scenario that Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn remain students at the University of Oklahoma, they might still have scholarships. The players were dismissed from the football team this week for breaking NCAA rules.

"There has not been a determination made yet with respect to their scholarships," said OU associate athletics director Kenny Mossman in a prepared statement. Since the semester has not begun yet, it's possible the players' scholarships could be revoked, Mossman said, "but that's a decision that coach (Bob) Stoops would make."

Other schools have expressed interest in Bomar. According to a report on ESPN.com, Texas A&M-Commerce, a Division II school, has contacted OU for permission to speak with the ex-Sooner quarterback.

Speaking to the press during Southwest Junior College Football Conference media days on Thursday in Athens, Texas, Trinity Valley (Texas) College coach Mark Sartain said he contacted Bomar but was told by Bomar that he had committed to another program. According to Friday's Corsicana (Texas) Daily Sun, Sartain was told that Tyler (Texas) Junior College coach Jamie Critchlow had beaten him to the punch..

HarrisTubbsFan
8/5/2006, 04:51 PM
We don't need Bomar back and we don't want him back.

He could have been good player but the fact is he wasn't by choice. He got what he deserved.

Jerk
8/5/2006, 05:07 PM
Will Bomar be back?

I think you're more likely to see Mel Gibson at a Bar Mitzvah

Snrfn4ever08
8/5/2006, 05:08 PM
Will Bomar be back?

funny:D

TUSooner
8/5/2006, 09:32 PM
wow

stoopified
8/5/2006, 09:50 PM
Will Bomar be back?

I think you're more likely to see Mel Gibson at a Bar MitzvahShalom.

LSUFan1950
8/5/2006, 10:01 PM
I just want to say I am sorry about the Bomar thing. I know it is hard some times to take what he did. But it is hard for a player not to take the money when a School Booster hands him money. Who ever the team or player is. It could happen to LSU as well as OU.

Geaux Tigers

1991SOONER
8/5/2006, 10:27 PM
Will Bonehead be back??

How could this question even be asked???

I think there is more of a chance that I'll get a date with Pamela Anderson which is about .0000000000000000001% chance. LOL

goingoneight
8/5/2006, 10:38 PM
Will Bonehead be back??

How could this question even be asked???

I think there is more of a chance that I'll get a date with Pamela Anderson which is about .0000000000000000001% chance. LOL

I think everyone's had a piece of PA. However, I still agree wit' ya!

Texas A&M Commerce? I told you the aggies would find him one way or another...

soonerloyal
8/5/2006, 11:22 PM
I get the distinct feeling that when Bobby Stoops says PERMANENTLY, he means just that.

I don't remember Stoops ever saying Dusty Dvoracek was *permanently* dismissed from the team...did he? My searches haven't turned that up. I do remember Stoops saying something about Dusty continuing to be offered the resources of the University.

KYHonorarySooner
8/5/2006, 11:26 PM
Will Bomar be back?

good stuff

HarrisTubbsFan
8/5/2006, 11:37 PM
Another thing about Bomar being back. It would just hurt our image more. Stoops has not wanted us to have a renegade image like Switzer ended up with at the end.

Flagstaffsooner
8/6/2006, 01:27 AM
I just want to say I am sorry about the Bomar thing. I know it is hard some times to take what he did. But it is hard for a player not to take the money when a School Booster hands him money. Who ever the team or player is. It could happen to LSU as well as OU.

Geaux TigersNaw, not at LSU.:rolleyes:

goingoneight
8/6/2006, 01:39 AM
Because this guy has been a class act, I hope things go well for them. Kind of like I don't HATE-HATE the Huskers, I just loather Cally-han. Same respect with Lester.

jackietreehorn
8/6/2006, 01:47 AM
As in the case with Dusty a couple of seasons ago, will he just ride out the season going to school and then be re-instated? Will Stoops give his caracter time to develop like he did with Dusty? What is the scenario when the NCAA finds that OU correctly handled the situation and no further penalties are needed? Does Stoops give him a second chance?

dusty had a "medical" issue called raging alcoholism.

in bomar's case, having an IQ comparable to forrest gump doesn't really fall into this category. he could have brought down the whole ship.

dusty didn't potentially f*ck the whole team for many years, he simply didn't adhere to certain societal norms. it's not nice to throw bar stools on people. he was only screwing himself and our defense.

hence PERMANENT!

LSUFan1950
8/6/2006, 07:32 AM
Flagstaffsooner, are you having a bad day or is it, you have a chip on your shoulder? I came without any smack talking and you want to start something. Look Flag, this stuff goes on every year and I know it is bad when a good team like OU has players on a payroll from a Booster. I just hope that the NCAA don't come down hard on OU, because OU kicked him (Bomar) off the team first.

Look Flag I am on your side (OU), because it is ashame when you have a bad Booster and a bad player. Well not a bad player because it will be hard for any player not to take the money when it is handed to you right in front of your face. What Bomar is 20 years old? I see on the News that there a lot more 20 year olds that are doing a lot worse.

Geaux Tigers

Scott D
8/6/2006, 08:22 AM
Flagstaffsooner, are you having a bad day or is it, you have a chip on your shoulder? I came without any smack talking and you want to start something. Look Flag, this stuff goes on every year and I know it is bad when a good team like OU has players on a payroll from a Booster. I just hope that the NCAA don't come down hard on OU, because OU kicked him (Bomar) off the team first.

Look Flag I am on your side (OU), because it is ashame when you have a bad Booster and a bad player. Well not a bad player because it will be hard for any player not to take the money when it is handed to you right in front of your face. What Bomar is 20 years old? I see on the News that there a lot more 20 year olds that are doing a lot worse.

Geaux Tigers

I love when fans of other schools assume that the NCAA is going to come down on us because of this. Have they come down on USC because of either the Bush or Jarrett things? Have they come down on Ohio State because of either the Clarett, bunk classes, or Troy Smith things? Have they come down on Auburn because of the fake grades issue?

LSUFan1950
8/6/2006, 08:59 AM
I don't know how the Ohio State is going with the NCAA. But I do know this much the NCAA is still looking into Auburn and USC. Boy ya"ll do have a chip on your shoulder. It it because LSU beat ya"ll in 2003 for the National Championship, man it is coming up on 3 seasons ago. Give it a break.

Scott D
8/6/2006, 09:17 AM
I don't know how the Ohio State is going with the NCAA. But I do know this much the NCAA is still looking into Auburn and USC. Boy ya"ll do have a chip on your shoulder. It it because LSU beat ya"ll in 2003 for the National Championship, man it is coming up on 3 seasons ago. Give it a break.

Ohio State in football has pretty much been declared safe by the NCAA. Improper benefits when nipped in the bud by a university before the NCAA gets involved usually results in non-sanctions. I assure you that any collective chip on 'our' shoulder has very little to do with LSU individually.

LSUFan1950
8/6/2006, 02:24 PM
Scott D, I came in good faith, I did come to start trouble. I am glad that you can see that I am not trying to cause any trouble. The only reason I know about USC and the on going witch hunt with the NCAA is because of the New Orleans Drafting Reggie Bush. Now and then one of the Local Sports Shows will say something the USC and the NCAA dealings. As for as Auburn goes you can keep up with them and the NCAA on any SEC Message Boards.

:pop:

poke4christ
8/7/2006, 08:53 AM
If he was smart, he would stay in Norman and work his butt of to get back on the team. He is out for at least one year now, but if he can make it back on the team next year, that's his best chance at making it to the next level. Otherwise, he'll have to play at D-II or lower just to have two more years left. If he transfers to a D-I school, he'll only get his senior year.

However, he's allready shown how smart he is, so who knows? :rolleyes:

Zach

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 09:42 AM
If he was smart, he would stay in Norman and work his butt of to get back on the team. He is out for at least one year now, but if he can make it back on the team next year, that's his best chance at making it to the next level. Otherwise, he'll have to play at D-II or lower just to have two more years left. If he transfers to a D-I school, he'll only get his senior year.

However, he's allready shown how smart he is, so who knows? :rolleyes:

Zach
Stoops said PERMANENTLY DISMISSED which would lead me to believe he's never coming back. On the contrary, he never said anything permanent about Dusty, and he was therefore given the opportunity to work his way back onto the team

astro5169
8/7/2006, 09:45 AM
3 years from now he is playing for Texas at OU vs Texas....Sitting the bench like the other great Major ....:pop:

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 09:48 AM
3 years from now he is playing for Texas at OU vs Texas....Sitting the bench like the other great Major ....:pop:
right where he belongs

Texas Golfer
8/7/2006, 10:02 AM
Boomer Sooner. Bummer, Bomar.

Texas Golfer
8/7/2006, 10:04 AM
Hey, Guys. Leave LSUFan1950 alone. He hasn't been antagonizing, he's been sympathizing.

Flagstaffsooner
8/7/2006, 12:41 PM
LSUFan, I was was just kidding, relax. I feel you pain too. You have Les "crazy boy" Miles.;)

Snrfn4ever08
8/7/2006, 01:08 PM
LSUFan, I was was just kidding, relax. I feel you pain too. You have Les "crazy boy" Miles.;)
you have to have sympathy for almost anybody under those circumstances

Socrefbek
8/7/2006, 01:58 PM

Geaux Tigers

Lighten up there Francis. :cool:

We all know how Louisiana is renowned for their above board dealings.

BTW. I hear Rhett needs someone to help with writing his resume. Doen't LSU has a tutoring department that handles things like that for football players?

Beef
8/7/2006, 02:40 PM
:les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: :les: