PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it!

SOONER44EVER
8/5/2006, 03:00 AM
Why are we the only ones in trouble?

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:fbsa6b2taFgJ:www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/NCAAF_20060102_ND%40OHST+%22ohio+state%22+football +illegal+quarterback+suspended&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

SUSPENDED from last year's Alamo Bowl FOR TAKING $500 FROM A BOOSTER, Smith hooked up on a pair of long touchdown passes and fourth-ranked Ohio State beat the No. 5 Irish 34-20 Monday night, sending them to their eighth straight bowl loss.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/042306aai.html

Bush's family allegedly lived in the house in Spring Valley, Calif., owned by a man who had sought to handle the star tailback's professional marketing WHILE BUSH WAS STILL PLAYING FOR USC, Yahoo.com reported Sunday.

The Web site reported that the family moved out of the house this weekend after questions over its ownership arose.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-bush042806&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

One document obtained by Yahoo! Sports alleges the Bush family received "over $100,000 in cash disbursements" from Michaels and New Era Sports & Entertainment associate Lloyd Lake between November 2004 and February 2006.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2004-11-26-clarett-cars_x.htm

That led to Clarett pleading guilty to failure to aid a law enforcement officer, and an NCAA investigation that found that Clarett had an improper relationship with the car dealer who loaned him the Monte Carlo.

berry5
8/5/2006, 03:44 AM
Well, most of those were discovered after the player had finished his collegiate career. The exception being Troy Smith. I'm not sure why he didn't receive a bigger penalty for accepting $500 from a booster. But Bomar accepted $18K in unearned cash, so I can see why the penalty for him was so severe. The only question is where does the NCAA draw the line for such offenses? Are there different punishments dependent upon dollar amounts?

SOONER44EVER
8/5/2006, 04:12 AM
Well, most of those were discovered after the player had finished his collegiate career. The exception being Troy Smith. I'm not sure why he didn't receive a bigger penalty for accepting $500 from a booster. But Bomar accepted $18K in unearned cash, so I can see why the penalty for him was so severe. The only question is where does the NCAA draw the line for such offenses? Are there different punishments dependent upon dollar amounts?
I heard that Bomar worked for most of the money. There were just a few hundred dollars where he clocked in but didn't actually work. Something like $630. And if all these other infractions happened while the players were playing they should be being investigated too. Nothing will ever come of the Clarett deal. Its been about 3 years ago right? Smith did basically the same thing Bomar did but only missed 1 game and got to resume his career. Bush? Thats a whole different story.

AlbqSooner
8/5/2006, 08:52 AM
That is what happens to teams who are one of two named plaintiffs in a suit by an association of several colleges against the NCAA. Especially when the result of the suit is to take the exclusive right to negotiate TV deals from the NCAA.

The penalty for Bomar was so comparatively harsh because Stoops is less tolerant than most coaches of willful infractions; or any other infractions for that matter.

picasso
8/5/2006, 08:59 AM
it wasn't $18,000. It was betwixt $2,000 and $6,000.
Quit using ESPN as your only news source.

also, we're getting it worse because of our problems with the basketball program and for the simple fact we're hated by many.

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2006, 09:02 AM
...we remain the red headed step child of college footballf'em, f'em all!

Sooner-N-KS
8/5/2006, 09:28 AM
From reading some of the different threads it sounds like "The Idiot" had a bad attitude, some of the team didn't respect him, and he was like a cancer for the team. We may actually end up being better off without him.

On top of that the team may feel like they have something major to prove.

I think that before the NCAA tries to come down on us they will have to take away the National Championship win from USC. I think some of their violations started during that year. And talk about lack of institutional control??? The media points out that he doesn't seem to be too concerned about addressing the problems. He just tries to sweep them under the rug. Even last week they had a guy doing steroids leave the program, but our troubles made it seem minor. Some reported it like SI.com, but it hasn't even been reported on ESPN.com.

boomersooner28
8/5/2006, 09:45 AM
What about Dwayne Jarrett (USC WR) living in a $3,000/month apartment last year? That seems like it was just forgotten about.

tbl
8/5/2006, 09:49 AM
Consider it a compliment that all these liberal media outlets hate the Sooners. ;)

wheatonsooner
8/5/2006, 10:53 AM
FSU has players that get in trouble too

Sooner-N-KS
8/5/2006, 11:07 AM
I just read a quote from the Dallas Morning News online. It looks like it may have been worse than I thought. Check out this quote:

"A lot of people thought he was the great white hype and whatnot," Birdine said Friday at OU's media day. "Yeah, he was a great athlete. But football is more than just one player."

The Consumate Showman
8/5/2006, 11:11 AM
From reading some of the different threads it sounds like "The Idiot" had a bad attitude, some of the team didn't respect him, and he was like a cancer for the team. We may actually end up being better off without him.

You hit the nail on the head...

MamaMia
8/5/2006, 11:13 AM
Plus, we sued the NCAA and won, so we are not, by a long shot, their favorite university.

tulsaoilerfan
8/5/2006, 11:43 AM
I just read a quote from the Dallas Morning News online. It looks like it may have been worse than I thought. Check out this quote:

"A lot of people thought he was the great white hype and whatnot," Birdine said Friday at OU's media day. "Yeah, he was a great athlete. But football is more than just one player."
Leave it to Birdine to tell it like it is. :D

tulsaoilerfan
8/5/2006, 11:44 AM
Bomar=Cale Gundy?

GottaHavePride
8/5/2006, 12:07 PM

Heh. I knew I liked Birdine.

umberto
8/5/2006, 12:38 PM

Looks like Larry's mouth is in mid-season form. :)

yermom
8/5/2006, 01:08 PM
last time i checked it wasn't the NCAA that kicked Bomar and Quinn off the team

SOONER44EVER
8/7/2006, 01:34 AM
last time i checked it wasn't the NCAA that kicked Bomar and Quinn off the team
Yes but there will be an NCAA investigation. Wanna bet Ohio St. and USC get off lighter than us for doing basically the same thing?