PDA

View Full Version : Switzer bashing

crimson&cream
8/4/2006, 10:49 PM
Over the last few days national and local news media and local web sites, have brought up Switzer's name like it always does when incidents like that of the last few days arise at OU.
It's like he's the epitome of a rouge leader of a FB team, that he never tried to play by the rules. How stupid.
Do you think he wanted the bad things to happen that did during his days of being the head coach.If you do your deranged. Switzer isn't that bold or dumb.
It seems the slightest rumor of wrong doing during his day is gospel truth as time has past. I really wonder just how much all these supposedly wrong doings can be verified and documented, But, hell it's more fun to believe a six gun swagging out of bounds leader that he's made out to be. Hogwash!
Yep. He really wanted Thompson to get caught selling dope to an undercover agent, hell many would believe he supplied the dope for Thompson. Yep, he was so proud of the player who shot a machine gun off the dorm balcany, even gave him a metal, probably even bought him the Uzi and said why don't you go shoot it off the dorm balcany that ought to cause quite the excitment. Most of all he loved the publicity it brought down himself.
Hell, he probably even told thsoe guys to go pick out a pretty girl an rape her for the fun of it. Remember he never diciplined anybody while Head coach, well actualy thats not true as I do remember some who caught his wrath, didn't Rhymes have to sit out a yr , a DB who was caught stealing was dismissed and transfered to UNLV and there were others. BUt, $hit thats contrary to his rouge image and not as fun to talk about. Was he a saint...NO! But, he sure wasn't the loose cannon or bad as he's always made out to be.
Think about it the man would have to be some kind of stupid to want these things to happen while he's the Head coach and put his job on the line as for sure did in the end, but was that really his fault.
Only if you expected him to split himself into a 100 Switzer's and follow all 100+ players around 24/7 to ensure they do nothing against the rules, Of course that wouldn't leave much time for sleeping & eating or coaching, but hey what the heck thats what he should have done to appease his critic's.Maybe he could have hired to the KGB to keep eyes on the players.
All these people who want to always point fingers at Switzer days with countless I know about this friend or family or.... who paid OU players under the table etc, etc etc and that his was a very dirty program- I would like to see them face to face tell his players that especially somebody like the "BOZ".
Why there's always this infinite need to bring up Switzer "The King" as the epitome of dirty programs especially OU is beyond me since he hasn't coach at OU in almost 20yrs. Why isn't Bud's name ever brought up at these particular times since OU went on probation 2/3 times during his head coaching days,is it because he's revered and Switzer is only the King. ?
Can't we just Leave the most successful OU coach alone to enjoy his memories.

sanantoniosooner
8/4/2006, 10:55 PM
Perhaps none of Bud's players were ever on the cover of a magazine in an orange jumpsuit.

Just a thought.

crimson&cream
8/4/2006, 10:59 PM
Perhaps none of Bud's players were ever on the cover of a magazine in an orange jumpsuit.

Just a thought.
Your right and Switzer probably lobbied SI to do that.Did looney Looney ever make a front page.?

monty
8/4/2006, 11:03 PM
Gene's (espn) article made at least the 3rd time i've heard some sort of Switzer bashing this week. Sadly, everyone likes to see the top dog fall and in the mid/late eighties we were the top dog. I'm sure that is still in the back of peoples mind even to this day. So every thing OU related that is negative will be: "sounds just like the Switzer days, or something Switzer would have allowed without taking action".

The tree hugging hippee from the Austin "American" Statesman had to take his jabs too it seems. "Switzer would have made sure [Bomar] got a raise...and a convertible". Excuse me while i yack.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/4/2006, 11:04 PM
Switzer is one of the greatest college coaches ever. I still wouldn't put him above Bud. But he is in that class. But what happened at the end of his tenure ended up really scarring the university to this day. Now people nationally don't think of Barry as a great coach. They think of him as a renegade that broke the rules. When it was his players that broke the rules.

crimson&cream
8/4/2006, 11:50 PM
Switzer is one of the greatest college coaches ever. I still wouldn't put him above Bud. But he is in that class. But what happened at the end of his tenure ended up really scarring the university to this day. Now people nationally don't think of Barry as a great coach. They think of him as a renegade that broke the rules. When it was his players that broke the rules.
What the hell was he suppose to do in their minds. He can't be in a 100+ places watching a 100+ players 24/7 how unrealistic is that.
In 1994 NSU won the NAIA National Champsionship and in 1995 they play for it again, but got a very good butt whipping because at the beginnin of the season Coach Eckert dismissed something like 7/8/9 starters off the team for rules violations. In doing so he said. I'm your coach my job is to coach you not be your parent. You should have learned from your parent/parents right & wrong, integrity and values before your stepped foot on NSU campus. I'm not going to hold your hand while your here your grown young men who should know whats right & wrong. It probably cost him back to back NAIA NC's
I heard this over NSU radio as I was going home from the championship game that day in 1995. Same goes for any coach they shouldn't have to hold them by the hand. Switzer included.Screw their narrow mindedness.

Octavian
8/5/2006, 12:14 AM
Has the 4th best coach's winning % in college football history...

The last coach that successful was Knute Rockne in the 1930s.

Switzer knew this....and didn't mind saying it openly w/ a smile.

Nor did he mind pumping his previous national title rings at the camera while celebrating his latest national championship in the post-game locker celebration after the victory over Penn St.

Or saying that Darrell Royal (who never beat him) would rather hang out w/ his country music buddies than work his butt off on the recruiting trail....like he did.

He thought nothing of crashing the Bob Devaney Show to present him w/ tacos before the 1980 game - as a smybolic prediction that Nebraska would end up playing in the Sun Bowl in El Paso...which they did after he beat them (again).

He joked w/ reporters about "hangin' half-a-hundred" and promised on more than one occasion not to "let my team score 100."

He didn't mind Little Joe's silver shoes, Thomas Lott's do-rags, or Boz's haircuts....he won, he won big, and he talked a big game.

Barry was a rock-star of a head coach.

When it came crashing down in '89 it was fun for many people to pounce on his downfall...and apparently it still is.

They can say what they want about him...his record and achievements speak for themselves.

royalfan5
8/5/2006, 12:20 AM
What the hell was he suppose to do in their minds. He can't be in a 100+ places watching a 100+ players 24/7 how unrealistic is that.
In 1994 NSU won the NAIA National Champsionship and in 1995 they play for it again, but got a very good butt whipping because at the beginnin of the season Coach Eckert dismissed something like 7/8/9 starters off the team for rules violations. In doing so he said. I'm your coach my job is to coach you not be your parent. You should have learned from your parent/parents right & wrong, integrity and values before your stepped foot on NSU campus. I'm not going to hold your hand while your here your grown young men who should know whats right & wrong. It probably cost him back to back NAIA NC's
I heard this over NSU radio as I was going home from the championship game that day in 1995. Same goes for any coach they shouldn't have to hold them by the hand. Switzer included.Screw their narrow mindedness.
It really doesn't matter what he could have done, or not done in the eyes of public outside of a coaches school. Coaches will always be crucified by media and fans for players transgressions. That's just how things work. You can complain all you want, but OU's image of Switzer will always be much different than the rest of the nation's. You can make that same statement for pretty much every successful coach in the history of the game that had a whiff of controversy. GADOCADWI

Octavian
8/5/2006, 12:25 AM
OU's image of Switzer will always be much different than the rest of the nation's. You can make that same statement for pretty much every successful coach in the history of the game that had a whiff of controversy.

Except for your boy Dr. Tom, I agree.

I understand "the coach who hit that kid and got fired" is still pretty popular in Columbus.

picasso
8/5/2006, 12:27 AM
the story broke and they jumped on the dogpile without even knowing the details.
it's not like we were paying Bomar to be our redshirt qb in the summer of '05.

also, ESPN apparently broke the $18,000 bit.:rolleyes:
Switz owned every icon type college coach he ever played against. USC is the only big timer that had his number.
I'm sure he laughs at his sumbitch naysayers.

royalfan5
8/5/2006, 12:31 AM
Except for your boy Dr. Tom, I agree.

I understand "the coach who hit that kid and got fired" is still pretty popular in Columbus.
I don't know if Osborne is that beloved by the national perception that he is an exception to that rule.

Marlon Brando
8/5/2006, 01:07 AM
How many National Championships did Bud win?

and

Where did Switzer coach before he came to OU?

I was just curious, if someone could tell me, all I know about Bud is he 55 straight right?

monty
8/5/2006, 01:45 AM
Both have 3 NC's. Bud had 47 straight wins. Both kick *** coaches.

crimson&cream
8/5/2006, 08:08 AM
It really doesn't matter what he could have done, or not done in the eyes of public outside of a coaches school. Coaches will always be crucified by media and fans for players transgressions. That's just how things work. You can complain all you want, but OU's image of Switzer will always be much different than the rest of the nation's. You can make that same statement for pretty much every successful coach in the history of the game that had a whiff of controversy. GADOCADWI
I always like to ask what he should or could've done because most times those who are critical have no answer, only blind criticism.

crimson&cream
8/5/2006, 08:10 AM
Both have 3 NC's. Bud had 47 straight wins. Both kick *** coaches.
Barry had a 31 game and 28 game win streak. Both Kicka$$ is right.

swardboy
8/5/2006, 08:15 AM
Switzer wore rouge? :eek:

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2006, 08:23 AM
Where did Switzer coach before he came to OU?

assistant at Arkansas.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/5/2006, 11:10 AM
Wilkinson coached at Oklahoma and in the Army before being the head coach at OU. He won 3 NCs(50, 55, 56) and had winning streaks of 31 and 47. He played college ball at Minnesota. I think he won a national title there as a player.

Switzer coached and played at Arkansas and Oklahoma. He came to OU with McKenzie and his staff.

sanantoniosooner
8/5/2006, 11:22 AM
People need to realize something here.

Switzer coached at a transition point in NCAA sports. Things that WERE accepatable and widespread became taboo and policed. It's not that he was the worst violator that ever lived, but he was at the end of an era and kind of symbolized the dying of an old way.

Barry was a great coach, but you can bet there is a middle ground between stalking your players off the field and nearly turning a blind eye.

I think the NCAA overreacted to things trying to get a handle on the situation and did some very stupid stuff back in the day. Not that they've smarted up much.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/5/2006, 01:24 PM
People need to realize something here.

Switzer coached at a transition point in NCAA sports. Things that WERE accepatable and widespread became taboo and policed. It's not that he was the worst violator that ever lived, but he was at the end of an era and kind of symbolized the dying of an old way.

Barry was a great coach, but you can bet there is a middle ground between stalking your players off the field and nearly turning a blind eye.

I think the NCAA overreacted to things trying to get a handle on the situation and did some very stupid stuff back in the day. Not that they've smarted up much.Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I do think OU is one of a small number of colleges that the NCAA is always "out to get".