PDA

View Full Version : Red River Rivalry--How do u think this affects it?

footballfanatic
8/4/2006, 02:06 PM
Needless to say, everyone is Austin is feeling that the edge has swung back to UT.
Like him or not, Bomar provided stability and proven talent at the QB position for OU. He and AD were the reasons OU had the advantage, since the UT QB's have no experience. Now, for all practical purposes, it's even at QB, as Thompson was so highly considered, he was moved to wideout. Quinn must be considered a loss, as well. The loss of Romance Taylor is a negative for Texas, but UT has tremendous speed fromnew players to offset the loss. Thompson allows UT to jam the line, which will probably be OU's defensive strategy, as well. As good as Peterson is, his skills are negated by little or no passing attack. So I see a low-scoring game, with both sides trying to establish ground control, with Texas prevailing, based on our superior line play.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/4/2006, 02:09 PM
Okay that's fine....But you're still wrong

sooneron
8/4/2006, 02:09 PM
I would give ut slightly more of an edge, of course, I reserve the right to retract this after seeing the teams play a couple of games. Your boys may debut with Waterford like saucer eyes. We just don't know. I (almost always) feel this contest goes either way each year. This is one of them, but I give Uterus a slight edge this week. And, before this week, I thought the winner of this game would be the first to score 17-20.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 02:12 PM
I hope Texas gets the death penalty for that fake Dick Justice story.....and by death penalty, I mean everyone literally put to death including Bevo.

Miko
8/4/2006, 02:16 PM
I hope Texas get the death penalty for that fake Dick Justice story.....and by death penalty, I mean everyone literally put to death including Bevo.

That is wrong. So wrong. Must quit laughing. This is wrong.

Must clean coke off of keyboard. This is so wrong.:D :D :D

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/4/2006, 02:18 PM
since the UT QB's have no experience. Now, for all practical purposes, it's even at QB
Of course I am not saying that ENA will take us to the promised land, but I think its pure homerism to make QB's a draw considering our QB has actually taken a college snap - Edge OU

Quinn must be considered a loss, as well
I suppose so

The loss of Romance Taylor is a negative for Texas, but UT has tremendous speed from new players to offset the loss.
I disagree, but if you say so :rolleyes:

As good as Peterson is, his skills are negated by little or no passing attack.
We don't know that just yet, and neither do you

So I see a low-scoring game, with both sides trying to establish ground control, with Texas prevailing, based on our superior line play.
I wouldn't expect you to come out and say OU wins, but I don't think our O line will be all that bad, actually....Im not buying that superior nonsense

mdklatt
8/4/2006, 02:23 PM
Like him or not, Bomar provided stability and proven talent at the QB position for OU.

Stability? He started for one season, and not even every game. Proven talent? Not yet.

Miko
8/4/2006, 02:24 PM
Im not buying that superior nonsense

The inferior nonsence is much cheaper, but it dosn't fit as well nor last as long as the superior kind. :D

Sorry, still giddy from the putting bevo to death bit.

Big Red Ron
8/4/2006, 02:33 PM
He moved to wideout to be on the field not because he was a bad QB. Long's plan was to have Rhett start for 4 years and that left ONE OF THE MOST athletic players on the team to either ride the pine or learn a new position.

His move to WR was NOT a reflection of his QB ability, as he beat Bomar out in a head to head battle last year.

Now fucc off horn.

BoomerJack
8/4/2006, 03:35 PM
FWIW, I think that before the Bomar exit that the game would have been a pick 'em from the wiseguys. This is also assuming that both teams were pretty much expected to be undefeated going into the game.

Now, I think that UT would be a 3 - 4 point favorite. A big factor in this, of course, is the stronger possibility of an OU road loss at Oregon.

footballfanatic
8/4/2006, 04:12 PM
Stability? He started for one season, and not even every game. Proven talent? Not yet.

Bomar's been practicing since last fall as the starting QB. That is stability. And lots of posters here have certainly stated that he is very talented--at least until last Wednesday. While the UT QB's have no game experience, they have been practicing every day as the UT QB--McCoy since last summer, and Snead since January. Paul Thompson hasn't been practicing at the Qb position on a regular basis since early last fall, since his primary focus has been on contributing at the WR position. While Thompson is physically gifted, we can assume that his strongest area will be running, since timing with receivers will be rudamentary, at best. Expect UT to do what OU will do--crowd the line and force the young QB's to throw. Yes, we don't know how the UT QB's will react under game pressure on Sept 9th against OSU, but we will in OCtober. I don't expect UT to repeat as champs, but all major publications are now giving them the edge over OU in the Big 12 South and I agree.

BASSooner
8/4/2006, 04:14 PM
Bob Stoops + Good defense> Texas reguardless how bad or good the team is

1991SOONER
8/4/2006, 04:14 PM
Thompson will do ok. From what I saw in the TCU game, he wasn't moving the ball and Bomar was. That was why they put Bomar in. Unfortunatley, Bomar fumbled the ball that allowed TCU to win. Thompson won't fumble the ball as much as Bomar did.

I believe the coaches realize now they made a mistake by putting Bomar in this soon. I also believe we would have beat TCU had they kept Thompson in and had alittle Sooner magic.

footballfanatic
8/4/2006, 04:15 PM
He moved to wideout to be on the field not because he was a bad QB. Long's plan was to have Rhett start for 4 years and that left ONE OF THE MOST athletic players on the team to either ride the pine or learn a new position.

His move to WR was NOT a reflection of his QB ability, as he beat Bomar out in a head to head battle last year.

Now fucc off horn.

I never said he wasn't a talented player, but the OU coaching staff felt he was inferior in some way to Bomar, or he would have been the long-term starter last year. And you should save your harsh words for your former QB--it was his thoughtless actions that created the present situation, not I.

1991SOONER
8/4/2006, 04:19 PM
I never said he wasn't a talented player, but the OU coaching staff felt he was inferior in some way to Bomar, or he would have been the long-term starter last year. And you should save your harsh words for your former QB--it was his thoughtless actions that created the present situation, not I.

Remember that in the past several years that UT has been given the edge more than they've given OU the edge, and we'll...look at the outcome. It took UT to be in their peak and OU to be at their worst for you guys to finally beat us. I'm just saying, don't count your chickens...

Uncle Russ
8/4/2006, 04:21 PM
The edge at quarterback definitely stays with OU, at least unless and until our two kids prove otherwise. Thompson has, after all, played the position in college. OU always did and will have the edge at RB with Peterson, again, until proven otherwise. He is an AA all-downs running back. Whether the overall edge shifts back to us, I don't know--OU s OL has always appeared to be an issue and gets worse without Quinn-no way around that.

I would say overall it's still the shootout. I won't watch until the fourth quarter, and if we are a couple of TD's up, I may have the guts to stay the course.

Russ

BASSooner
8/4/2006, 04:22 PM
I don't think a QB will be a big issue right now. We've beaten texas with QBs that have had no legs, and something that Heupel had didn't he have an elbow that was about the size of a grapefruit?

Big Red Ron
8/4/2006, 04:22 PM
I never said he wasn't a talented player, but the OU coaching staff felt he was inferior in some way to Bomar, or he would have been the long-term starter last year. Incorrect.

footballfanatic
8/4/2006, 04:24 PM
Remember that in the past several years that UT has been given the edge more than they've given OU the edge, and we'll...look at the outcome. It took UT to be in their peak and OU to be at their worst for you guys to finally beat us. I'm just saying, don't count your chickens...

Wise words, that I fully agree with. More games and wars have been lost to overconfidnece than can be written here. Plus, I am not hiving UT an overwhelming edge by any stretch. I expect a hard fought game, possibly very sloppy, low scoring, and frankly, quite ugly. It really could go any way -- It could be one of those horrible 8 turnover games that is decided who fumbles last. Also, the defenses are both strong, and of course, you have Peterson, who can carry a game himself. If he is asked to do so, as he did a few times last year, it might be too hard against the athletes at UT, but he will come to play.

Partial Qualifier
8/4/2006, 04:25 PM
I like how you know OU has little or no passing attack. Since we haven't seen ENA in this new offense -- heck we haven't even seen the new offense ourselves -- your insight is valuable.

:rolleyes:

and it's amazing how a healthy superstar running back can make a bad OL good, and a good OL great. We have a new O-Line coach whose sole focus is the OL (something we haven't had in several years) so imma reserve judgement until they'bve played a few games.

Partial Qualifier
8/4/2006, 04:33 PM
While the UT QB's have no game experience, they have been practicing every day as the UT QB--McCoy since last summer, and Snead since January. Paul Thompson hasn't been practicing at the Qb position on a regular basis since early last fall

Okay, I'll play: but Thompson was backing up a Rose Bowl MVP and a Heisman winner, and being coached by a proven, big-time QB coach (Long) while your guys were SOPHOMORES & JUNIORS IN HIGH SCHOOL.

Your turn. :pop:

josh09
8/4/2006, 04:34 PM
Bob Stoops + Good defense> Texas reguardless how bad or good the team is

lol good point there

Sooner-N-KS
8/4/2006, 04:44 PM
Here's something to think about.

Paul Thompson has been on the team for 4 Tejas games with 3 of them being wins.

PT played mop up QB in the 2003 Tejas game.

PT was Jason's backup in 2004 but didn't play due to the redshirt.

PT played WR in last years game.

These two pimply faced Tejas kids have no clue what it's like to be in the Cotton Bowl in October. They'll be peeing their pants when they go down the ramp.

OUstud
8/4/2006, 04:46 PM
I hope Texas gets the death penalty for that fake Dick Justice story.....and by death penalty, I mean everyone literally put to death including Bevo.

Introducing my new quote!

1991SOONER
8/4/2006, 05:24 PM
These two pimply faced Tejas kids have no clue what it's like to be in the Cotton Bowl in October. They'll be peeing their pants when they go down the ramp.

Probably the single most likely reason Stoops chose Thompson...

FlatheadSooner
8/4/2006, 05:25 PM
Very little potential negative effect with probable positive OU shift in advantage.

Paul Thompson will provide instant improved leadership to the offense. His passing will quickly improve as he get's more reps and OUr receivers (rapid improvement over the last year) are going to burn a lot of opposing teams this year. Paul will probably be more of a dual pass / run threat than Bomar - much like Vince was last year.

I think OUr chances just inadvertently improved!

Hook 'em

SoonerBacker
8/4/2006, 06:12 PM
Paul Thompson hasn't been practicing at the Qb position on a regular basis since early last fall, since his primary focus has been on contributing at the WR position. While Thompson is physically gifted, we can assume that his strongest area will be running, since timing with receivers will be rudamentary, at best.

According to OUr Coach, Thompson continued to take snaps at QB throughout the season as QB because he WAS the number 2 man if The Idiot went down to injury. So, that blows THIS argument away.

I still don't understand why everyone thinks Thompson can't pass. That is based TOTALLY on PART of ONE game last year. (TCU) I can remember him coming off the bench several times when he was #2 behind White and delivering the ball on target to many receivers. As a matter of fact, I still have those games on tape and have gone back to watch them.

You folks south of the border just keep on thinking that you have this game won. Let the whorns walk onto the floor of the Cotton Bowl with that attitude in October and y'all will be heading for the exits by halftime again! :pop:

Miko
8/4/2006, 06:31 PM
In a related story, the NCAA has proposed sanctions resulting from this incident causing OU to "...forfeit all football games on paper for the entire 2006-2007 season, and... only the results from the field of play will count."

They go on to clarify that "as a result of the loss of certain players and this potential ruling...absolute certain victory may be claimed prior to the contest by opponents of the University of Oklahoma including, but not limited to:

aggies
aggies lite
Hindus (and all others who worship cows)
crackwhores
assistant crackwhores
furry animals of any sort
pedifiles
those of parents related in ways other than marriage
most, if not all, drooling morons
and those who could not otherwise find their azzes even if given a mirror on a stick"

This could be very bad for us. Fortunatey, no talk of scholarships or bowl appearances yet. :D

Sooner-N-KS
8/4/2006, 06:35 PM
I still don't understand why everyone thinks Thompson can't pass. That is based TOTALLY on PART of ONE game last year. (TCU) I can remember him coming off the bench several times when he was #2 behind White and delivering the ball on target to many receivers. As a matter of fact, I still have those games on tape and have gone back to watch them.

PT played QB in 15 games.
42 of 73 completed for 428 yards for his career.

But he did set his passing reputation in the TCU game. Prior to that he was usually handing the ball off to run down the clock.

He may have an advantage this year over last year in that he doesn't have a QB competition. I think this may mean that he gets more reps this month instead of sharing with "The Idiot." I'm assuming the "pimple faces" are having to share the load right now in a QB competition.

Sooner-N-KS
8/4/2006, 06:38 PM
In a related story, the NCAA has proposed sanctions resulting from this incident causing OU to "...forfeit all football games on paper for the entire 2006-2007 season, and... only the results from the field of play will count."

The NCAA doesn't propose anything. They are a dictatorship with no accountability for their decisions.

RooseveltRoughRider
8/4/2006, 06:56 PM

WHOAH.....They have given UT the edge???? Hmmmm...

1989 Texas 28 #15 Oklahoma 24 Dallas
1990 Texas 14 #4 Oklahoma 13 Dallas
1991 Texas 10 #6 Oklahoma 7 Dallas
1992 Texas 34 #16 Oklahoma 24 Dallas
1993 #10 Oklahoma 38 Texas 17 Dallas
1994 #15 Texas 17 #16 Oklahoma 10 Dallas
1995 #13 Oklahoma 24 #18 Texas 24 Dallas
1996 Oklahoma 30 #25 Texas 27 Dallas (OT)
1997 Texas 27 Oklahoma 24 Dallas
1998 Texas 34 Oklahoma 3 Dallas
1999 #23 Texas 38 Oklahoma 28 Dallas
2000 #10 Oklahoma 63 #11 Texas 14 Dallas
2001 #3 Oklahoma 14 #5 Texas 3 Dallas
2002 #2 Oklahoma 35 #3 Texas 24 Dallas
2003 #1 Oklahoma 65 #11 Texas 13 Dallas
2004 #2 Oklahoma 12 #5 Texas 0 Dallas
2005 #2 Texas 45 Oklahoma 12 Dallas

You sure Texas is always expected to win?!?!?! During the 5 game Streak look at what OU's rank was. In recent years it look like the top ranked team usually won. The only significant period that it wasnt like that in recent years was in the late 80's early 90's..

westcoast_sooner
8/4/2006, 07:49 PM
I have to admit being on The Idiot's bandwagon from last season. I saw him play, and how he grew up over the course of the season, at least he played better - maybe grew up isn't the right term.

In any case, FWIW, the thing that strikes me about having PT at QB is how he's handled all of the shuffling around. First, he's a backup, then he's redshirted, then he's the backup, then he's the man, then he's the backup again. Then, after he moves to WR, and practices BOTH positions during last season, he works out at WR during the spring and looks pretty good. And THEN he has to move back to QB again.

I think you have to give the guy kudos for sticking with the program, hanging in there and doing whatever the coaches asked him to do.

I think since Coach Stoops named him the starter so quickly, we need to get behind the guy. I think that his attitude so far has shown he's a true team player, and will do whatever he needs to do to be successful.

As to how the QB play affects the RRS, seems like a certain hit by Roy Williams answered that question with an exclamation point when a ball popped into Teddy Lehman's hands.

Everything starts with the QB. Not saying that they didn't recruit talented kids in Austin, but I think at this juncture you have to give the edge to Paul Thompson.

Since we just started fall practice, I think we wait and see how Paul does, and what we hear from South of the Border, then watch the first few games this season.

1991SOONER
8/4/2006, 08:59 PM
You sure Texas is always expected to win?!?!?! During the 5 game Streak look at what OU's rank was. In recent years it look like the top ranked team usually won. The only significant period that it wasnt like that in recent years was in the late 80's early 90's..

Well....i never said who "they" were. The "they" you are referring to are the polls.

That seems to be the thinking among Longhorn fans here in Texas. That they usually have more talent and are expected to win. And somehow, by some intervention of evil spirits, they end up losing. Somehow, they failed to show up for the game. There is always some "legitament" reason why they lost other than they just didn't have a good enough team to beat OU. LOL. Trust me, I hear it ALL the time....

Besides, do you actually believe in rankings RRR??? Do you actually think just because a team is ranked higher in the polls that its expected by the general population to win?? Come on, please tell me your not that naive....

AlbqSooner
8/4/2006, 09:12 PM

Forget the poll standings. Check the pre-game point spreads. Texass has been favored more often than not in this century. Hell, just go with the opening line so we don't have to argue about the line moving because texas has more population which would skew the betting. Same result.

SleestakSooner
8/4/2006, 09:23 PM
Like him or not, Bomar provided chaos and proven mediocrity at the QB position for OU.

Fixed :D

JiuJitsuSooner
8/4/2006, 09:42 PM
If there is such thing as Karma, Paul Thompson will have a great season and and be the winning QB on Oct. 9th.

BTW, I am a firm believer in KARMA!!

1991SOONER
8/4/2006, 10:02 PM
Like him or not, Bomar provided chaos and proven mediocrity at the QB position for OU.

Fixed :D

YUP, THAT PRETTY MUCH SUMS IT UP...

SoonerBacker
8/5/2006, 07:50 AM
What AlbqSooner said! Even though OU was ranked above texA$$ in many of those games, the Whorns were predicted to win the game! I have tapes of the originial broadcast from most of those games, and in EVERY one of them, the commentators are saying that texA$$ is favored. At the end, they're asking WHY the whorns were predicted to win. That is true for virtually every one of the games in the Stoops era!

XingTheRubicon
8/10/2006, 09:39 AM

UT was favored by 2 1/2 to 4 points in 2000, 2001, and 2002.

In '03, OU was favored by 6 1/2 and won by 52.
In '04, OU was favored by 7 and won by 0 + 12.

The reason UT was favored in 00, 01, and 02 was due to 26 million Texican Americans that were dumber than f*cking mulch and betting up UT in early games. The reason that OU was favored in '03 and '04 is two fold....the aforementioned "dumber than f*cking mulch Texicans were gunshy and broke AND OU was clearly better to the rest of the betting public.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2006, 09:57 AM
If there is such thing as Karma, Paul Thompson will have a great season and and be the winning QB on Oct. 9th.

BTW, I am a firm believer in KARMA!!
Of course the flip side of that coin is Stoops has some bad karma coming for jacking Thompson around so much. ;)

sooneron
8/10/2006, 10:11 AM
Of course the flip side of that coin is Stoops has some bad karma coming for jacking Thompson around so much. ;)
Of course, karma could also be construed as Paul coming out and kicking ***, thus making Stoops and Long look like fools for yanking him last year.:texan:

Herr Scholz
8/10/2006, 10:18 AM
Of course, karma could also be construed as Paul coming out and kicking ***, thus making Stoops and Long look like fools for yanking him last year.:texan:
Then there's the "traiterous to your home state of Texas" karma that could hurt Thompson in the RRS. ;) This theory might actually have some legs since Texas prep school QBs aren't doing so well for you guys of late.

sooneron
8/10/2006, 10:35 AM
Then there's the "traiterous to your home state of Texas" karma that could hurt Thompson in the RRS. ;) This theory might actually have some legs since Texas prep school QBs aren't doing so well for you guys of late.
Historically, it's worked pretty well for all other positions though!:texan:

Soonerman08
8/10/2006, 10:40 AM

That karma bull**** you feed out must have missed Mark Clayton and Derrick Strait. :P I think Texas remembers those two all too well. :D

jwlynn64
8/10/2006, 10:49 AM

The only way he was considered inferior to Bomar is that he had only two seasons left and Bomar had four.

The prevailing wisdom was that if we were going to have to go through growing pains, it might as well be with the guy with the most years left.

The only question we have is whether the maturation that Thompson gained in playing WR will transfer to the QB position.

SoonerBacker
8/10/2006, 11:42 AM
That karma bull**** you feed out must have missed Mark Clayton and Derrick Strait. :P I think Texas remembers those two all too well. :D

And let's not forget Q! Record 6 TDs in 2000. He kicked texA$$ every year he started for OU!

footballfanatic
8/10/2006, 11:45 AM
The only way he was considered inferior to Bomar is that he had only two seasons left and Bomar had four.

The prevailing wisdom was that if we were going to have to go through growing pains, it might as well be with the guy with the most years left.

The only question we have is whether the maturation that Thompson gained in playing WR will transfer to the QB position.

If Thompson was clearly better than Blowhard, he would have started last year, case closed. No way Stoops would go with an unproven red-shirt over a sure thing. Thopson did not distinguish himself in the previous spring, nor in the August practices. Look how fast he was pulled against TCU--it was pretty humiliating, considering he didn't even get to go the whole game. I'm sure Thompson is a good athlete, and he's a great team player, but he is probably, at best, a capable backup. Of course, sports is full of surprises, and he could turn out to have a magical year. I'll be the first to take my hat off to him--he's a local kid, out of Leander High, who is kicking *** in 5A these days.

goingoneight
8/10/2006, 03:18 PM
This could be an ugly game. As in defenses making opposing offenses look really stupid all day long. QB's fubling, getting intercepted, two great RB's getting stacked up against (although OUrs can actually runs defenses over...). It could be very tiring and boring up until the final minutes.

C&CDean
8/10/2006, 03:23 PM
A 2-0 OU victory works for me.

ashley
8/10/2006, 03:25 PM
Most big games that are close are determined by field position, which is determined generally be turnovers and the kicking game. My guess is that in this year's game field position will be more important than ever because the inexperience at QB and their turnovers will determine the game unless it is a runaway by either team.

Herr Scholz
8/11/2006, 10:27 AM
A 2-0 OU victory works for me.
You guys find a punter yet?