PDA

View Full Version : Damn nail leaver *******s

BeetDigger
8/4/2006, 11:03 AM
Well, the front tire of my wife's car found one. If that tire is ruined I'm gonna be ****ed. If any of you drop nails and don't pick them up, I sure hope that you have something inconvienent happen to you. :texan:

etouffee
8/4/2006, 11:12 AM
The title is misleading. I thought sure this was going to be some woman griping about men cutting their toenails and leaving the clippings on the coffee table.

Not that *I* ever did anything like that...I've just heard about it is all. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/bushtit/smilies/uhh.gif

toast
8/4/2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah I've been looking for that nail since the other day, can you mail it to me? TIA.

Boarder
8/4/2006, 12:01 PM
One time on the way back from Dallas, my dad was one of the many victims of a roofing nail spill on top of the Arbuckles. Problem is, he was driving a dually with a three axle trailer. That's 12 tires.

Mjcpr
8/4/2006, 12:05 PM
One time on the way back from Dallas, my dad was one of the many victims of a roofing nail spill on top of the Arbuckles. Problem is, he was driving a dually with a three axle trailer. That's 12 tires.

For us non-tire store owner type people, that could've really been a problem.

:D

BeetDigger
8/4/2006, 01:11 PM
Update,

Pulled the tire off and took it to the store to get repaired. Decided against putting on the spare - why do duplicate work? Now, watch them tell me that the tire is unrepairable and my pro-rated warranty means that a new tire will only run me $100, $112 with tax and disposal fee.

BeetDigger
8/4/2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your concern everyone. :rolleyes: I left the freaking tire off at noon. Went to pick it up at 6:45. It hadn't been touched. The kid apologized and got right on it. I said to the manager, who I left it with, "I guess you forgot about me". He says "It was out there all day" implying that the guys missed it. I thought, way to throw your guys under the bus, take some responsibility. Anyway, it is fixed and back on the auto. And btw, Mercedes has the weirdest jacks. It worked, but I wasn't completly confident the whole time.:eek:

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2006, 09:23 PM
I had a nail in my tire a while back. The nail was right where the sidewall meets the part that hits the ground (whatever that part is called). I took it to three different places - none would fix it. They said I had to replace it. With 40,000 miles on the tires, I decided to replace all four (they were good for another 10,000).

StoopTroup
8/4/2006, 09:23 PM
Your a good man for taking care of the Wife's car for her.

Is she going to mow the lawn for you this week? :D

sanantoniosooner
8/4/2006, 09:26 PM
A nail in the tire.

In the grand scheme of SO complaints...........I'd rank it just below Howzit's itchy anus.

StoopTroup
8/4/2006, 09:31 PM
I had a nail in my tire a while back. The nail was right where the sidewall meets the part that hits the ground (whatever that part is called). I took it to three different places - none would fix it. They said I had to replace it. With 40,000 miles on the tires, I decided to replace all four (they were good for another 10,000).
Tip from StoopTroup...

Pay them to dismount the tire next time.

Take the tire home.

Use a wire brush in your cordless drill and scuff the area where the nail went through the tire, on the inside of the tire. Be careful not to remove too much rubber and take it down to the cord...as doing so will make way for air inside the tire to cause a separation much easier than if you just scuff it. Now...get yourself a Hot Patch. Place it inside the tire and light it. It will vulcanize the patch to the tire. You can also use some Hi-Temp black tire RTV goo over the patch as an edge sealer. Make sure you don't goop it...you don't want to do anything too much as you'll create a bigger balance problem.

Now...

Go back and have them mount the tire and balance it after they put it back on the rim.

This doesn't always work and sometimes it might even lead to air bubbles which will cause a sidewall separation. If you just do in-town driving and want to get some more miles out of the set of tires...it's worth it IMO.

Anyway...

Good Luck with the new ones.

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2006, 09:37 PM
ST

I drove with the nail in the tire for about 3 months - just back and forth to work (relatively low speeds). The tire didn't even lose any air. The wife and and I were going on a trip a few months back and I didn't want to drive 80 mph with the nail in the tire, and I don't think I would have trusted any patch job I did.

sanantoniosooner
8/4/2006, 09:40 PM
If it wasn't leaking with the nail still in it, a patch would have worked probably.

The problem with a patch on the side is the flexing. But if it wasn't flexing enough to leak, then it probably wouldn't shed the patch.

StoopTroup
8/4/2006, 09:41 PM
ST

I drove with the nail in the tire for about 3 months - just back and forth to work (relatively low speeds). The tire didn't even lose any air. The wife and and I were going on a trip a few months back and I didn't want to drive 80 mph with the nail in the tire, and I don't think I would have trusted any patch job I did.
I understand...

I sold tires for a living out of HS while I was going to College.

I later even worked a 2nd job as an auto mechanic and did tons of tire repairs.

This procedure worked 9 times out of ten and it might be even better than that...

Your Families safety is what is most important however and if your going to do lots of high speed driving on expensive to replace rims...it's probably best to just replace the tire.

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2006, 09:50 PM
Your Families safety is what is most important however and if your going to do lots of high speed driving...

exactly - I could have never have forgiven myself if something bad had happened because I was too cheap to save a few bucks.

OUHOMER
8/5/2006, 07:09 AM
Had a nail in my motorcycles rear tire. Was going a round a corner and get real wobbly. Now that sucks. had to have the boy bring the trailer, go buy tied down straps. than take in for repair. $50 later i was on the road. Now that sucks

BeetDigger
8/6/2006, 07:54 PM
Your a good man for taking care of the Wife's car for her.

Is she going to mow the lawn for you this week? :D

I didn't even mow the lawn this week. One small conciliation for it being so dry around here and being on water restriction.

BeetDigger
8/6/2006, 07:55 PM
A nail in the tire.

In the grand scheme of SO complaints...........I'd rank it just below Howzit's itchy anus.

Thankfully, I missed that thread. Are you implying that you got up and personal with it? :D

No, the thing that ****es me off is that it happened in the alley. But given how inconsiderate in general my neighborhood is, it's not surprising.

C&CDean
8/6/2006, 08:01 PM
You drive a Mercedes? BWQAAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

BeetDigger
8/6/2006, 08:02 PM
You drive a Mercedes? BWQAAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Don't you have a plane to DC to catch?

C&CDean
8/6/2006, 08:04 PM
Don't you have a plane to DC to catch?

Nah, I'm already here. And do yourself a favor. Ditch the POS Mercedes, and get momma a Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or even a dang Taurus.

YWIA

BeetDigger
8/6/2006, 08:07 PM
Nah, I'm already here. And do yourself a favor. Ditch the POS Mercedes, and get momma a Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or even a dang Taurus.

YWIA

This is what you get for drinking heavily on the plane. :texan:

afs
8/16/2006, 10:00 PM
ttt