PDA

View Full Version : Did Stoops just rip on Bomar?

XingTheRubicon
8/3/2006, 09:18 PM
Bob Stoops- "Well, it's not like we just lost Jason White who threw 40 touchdowns or anything"

Several posters on another board claim that Stoops went "Kabba" on Rhett.

and he said it twice.

I hope this isn't true. Anyone hear it?
it was on the animal btw

Widescreen
8/3/2006, 09:20 PM
Hard to blame the guy. Wasn't really necessary but I can't imagine the frustration Stoops is feeling right now.

soonercody
8/3/2006, 09:20 PM
I don't know. But I doubt it.

Fraggle145
8/3/2006, 09:22 PM
Bob Stoops- "Well, it's not like we just lost Jason White who threw 40 touchdowns or anything"

I dont know if he did, but it's true...

Octavian
8/3/2006, 09:24 PM
Yes he did...in an interview w/ Al.

I laughed.

Norman Sooner
8/3/2006, 09:25 PM
yup he did..i thought it was funny...

Sonner magic923
8/3/2006, 09:25 PM
wow if that came out of bobs mouth i would be astonished that the constant proffesional that he is would let his emotions get the best of him.

XingTheRubicon
8/3/2006, 09:26 PM
I don't know. But I doubt it.

I do too, but there is about 8 posters that have confirmed it and they all said Stoops said it twice.

Wow.

starclassic tama
8/3/2006, 09:26 PM
if you're referring to the news conference he held earlier, this is what went down: a reporter asked him if the sooners national championship dreams are dashed and he said no, he had never been tooting this team's horn as a national title contender. he said that rhett wasn't that experienced, and it wasn't like they were losing jason white coming off a heisman trophy.

XingTheRubicon
8/3/2006, 09:28 PM
Bob is better than that, he may want to take a media break.

That is low rent, period.

Octavian
8/3/2006, 09:28 PM
He didn't say it in a condescending way towards Bomar though...

He was making the point that the season didn't hang on Bomar. He said, "Yeah, we were all excited about the potential for his future but...it's not like we just lost Jason White after he threw 40 touchdowns."

He was being positive and saying the two quarterbacks throughout last year were very close and the reason Bomar got the nod was because he had more years ahead of him and the potential for more growth was possible w/ Rhett.

Octavian
8/3/2006, 09:29 PM

No, it really wasn't.

If you read it in on paper it sounds bad if you didn't hear it in the context in which Bob said it.

It was in a very positive (not mean or vindictive) tone and he was talking about the season and team as a whole. Not just Bomar.

Ark_Sooner
8/3/2006, 09:33 PM
Stoops just spoke the truth, here's what he said quoted in the espn article: (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2538692):

"I don't know that I feel a whole lot different than I did before this, meaning I don't believe Rhett had that much experience that we're losing," Stoops said. "And so, from the end of the year, I felt we have a lot that we need to work on for that to happen. I don't think we were coming into the year that he was Jason White coming back from his Heisman Trophy year the year before.

"It's safe to say, I know there's a lot of expectations for Rhett, what we have had to this point hasn't been anything that we can't overcome."

tbl
8/3/2006, 09:38 PM
I agree that this was a completely understandable thing to see, and to claim he was being "low rent" or classless is missing the entire point of what he was saying. He has an entire team left to motivate, so he's putting perspective on it and basically looking at the positive side of things.

Spray
8/3/2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah, it was very matter-of-fact and an honest appraisal of the QB situation since last fall. Nothing mean-spirited about it.

Octavian
8/3/2006, 09:39 PM
well, it does kinda sound bad if you just read it and didn't hear it...but it wasn't intended as a slam on Bomar.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/3/2006, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't have cared if he was rude. It isn't like he owes Bomar anything. Things would have been easier with Bomar. But let's face it...he wasn't Jason White

JohnnyMack
8/3/2006, 10:09 PM

That wasn't EXACTLY what he said and you're taking it out of context.

TheGodfather889
8/3/2006, 10:18 PM
Bob was referring to OU's chances actually about next year. He was saying his expectations aren't any different because Rhett wasn't that experienced. Then he said: "It's not like we lost Jason White coming off of a Heisman season".

badger
8/3/2006, 10:43 PM
The fact that "The Idiot" did not win a Heisman is neither here nor there. However, he did not even start the entire season--- he had comparable performances to PT in the season opener last year, and PT's experience is comparable to "The Idiot"'s.

MikeInNorman
8/3/2006, 10:45 PM
For the record, he threw ten touchdowns. That matched his ten interceptions perfectly.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/3/2006, 10:48 PM
The Idiot did run for a couple of TDs didn't he?

badger
8/3/2006, 10:49 PM
"The Idiot" was a very good runner, as shown in our little "There's only one Oklahoma" video near the end of the season.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 12:46 AM
FYI, the ESPN quote is not EXACTLY the same as the WWLS quote.

http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=131348.top ic&start=1&stop=20

If Stoops said this in private to Bomar's face, I have no problem with it.

But here are the facts.

1. Bomar was the #1 HS QB in the nation with a lot of light on him.
2. Bomar chose OU and OU wanted him badly.
3. Bomar repeatedly f'ed up and committed an act that was unforgiveable.
4. Bomar (and JD) embarrassed themselves and their program.....badly.
5. The length of time from Bomar's first inflated check to the program's knowledge of it was around a year.
6. Bomar and JD, because it was the only thing that could and should be done, were kicked out of the Oklahoma Football Program.
7. One day passes and Stoops says: "Well, it's not like we just lost Jason White who threw 40 touchdowns or anything" Twice.

That's weak sauce. There's no 2 ways about it. Stoops is better than that. In my opinion, Bob Stoops is the best CFB coach in the nation, but this particular comment was a lapse in judgment.

OU took in the #1 HS QB recruit in the nation and he reduced himself to rubble. This reflects poorly on OU regardless of the fact that it was Bomar's fault......bite your ******* lip and move on.

Egeo
8/4/2006, 12:55 AM
stoops also said something about replacing a guy who caught 8 passes in 98...
it hurts cause its true

picasso
8/4/2006, 01:28 AM
He didn't say it in a condescending way towards Bomar though...

He was making the point that the season didn't hang on Bomar. He said, "Yeah, we were all excited about the potential for his future but...it's not like we just lost Jason White after he threw 40 touchdowns."

He was being positive and saying the two quarterbacks throughout last year were very close and the reason Bomar got the nod was because he had more years ahead of him and the potential for more growth was possible w/ Rhett.
that's in better context.
lord how some things get thrown out of proportion.:rolleyes:

Blue
8/4/2006, 01:47 AM
Weak sauce or not, Stoops is moving on and I gotta say, I'm over it.

This team has to play ball in one month. The more people who say, "Bomar who?", the better, IMO.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/4/2006, 09:22 AM
what's kabba, is that like Bomar?

JohnnyMack
8/4/2006, 09:39 AM
This thread is weak. XTR is looking for a scandal that just isn't there.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 09:48 AM
Perhaps you could teach a "levelheaded" internet class.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2006, 09:53 AM
Perhaps you could teach a "levelheaded" internet class.

:les:POP QUIZ!!!!!!!

fadada1
8/4/2006, 09:55 AM
i don't blame coach stoops at all for speaking his mind. has he always been professional? YES.

every man has a breaking point... and dealing with the media circus surounding this mess just quickens the breaking point being sighted. i know if i had to deal with dean blevins on a daily basis i'd be a bit of an a-hole with this too.

JLB
8/4/2006, 10:33 AM
Who gives a **** if Bob said that.Its true.I guess what he should have
said was"Folks we are screwed.With Rhett getting kicked off the team
and all I dont think we will win one this year.I mean Rhett was honestly
in my opinion the second coming of christ.We have never had a better QB
at this university.I mean the way he presented himself in public was
second to none.I cant talk anymore."Bob leaves the room crying.

mhackl
8/4/2006, 11:11 AM
I bet it's already registered.

Seamus
8/4/2006, 11:18 AM
...bite your ******* lip and move on.

Don't suppose there's any chance you'll take your own advice ... ?

MikeInNorman
8/4/2006, 11:57 AM
The Idiot did run for a couple of TDs didn't he?

For the record, he ran for 4 touchdowns, not quite perfectly matched by 17 fumbles. In fairness, he lost only 4 of the 17 fumbles, and I think two of them resulted in TDs for the other guys.

So, 14 touchdowns, 14 turnovers.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 12:26 PM

It doesn't really matter what I do, Semen, I'm not the centerpiece of the football program making bush league comments.

It's bush, and you are just too simple to understand it.

Big Red Ron
8/4/2006, 12:36 PM
I disagree Rub!

Bob has every right to speak his mind. He is absolutely correct, heck forget Jason white, he was no Nate Hybl.

He's no has been, he's a never was. Good riddance.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 12:46 PM
Bob Stoops "I molest little boys!"

At least half of the fan base: "Bob's the man! He's just can't help being tough on those kids...."

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 12:49 PM
I disagree Rub!

Bob has every right to speak his mind. He is absolutely correct, heck forget Jason white, he was no Nate Hybl.

He's no has been, he's a never was. Good riddance.

This is debatable, however, maybe our HC could refrain from saying that as well, in public.

Partial Qualifier
8/4/2006, 12:57 PM
kabba is Ahmed Kabba, subject of Stoops' famous "I think we can find someone to catch 11 balls a year" quote when asked how badly OU will miss him (stoops' first summer here)

I heard this on the radio and the context of the discussion was the amount of experience we're losing, not the production (as repeated above). They were talking about the loss of experience and Bob used '40 touchdowns' in describing JW.

Even if it was mean-spirited, I'm willing to let Bob slide on this considering the spot he's in, having to deal with this while practices are starting & what-not

This raises a question: in the summer of 1999 when Bob said what he did about Kabba, were any of you incensed enough to start a thread & call him a bush-leaguer?

Seamus
8/4/2006, 01:01 PM
It doesn't really matter what I do, Semen, I'm not the centerpiece of the football program making bush league comments.

It's bush, and you are just too simple to understand it.

Semen? Is that the best you can do? Look, I don't really care what kind of protein drink you enjoy in the morning.

I just wish you'd stop making the damn Himalayas out of nothing and go wash the colon polyps out of your hair.

GottaHavePride
8/4/2006, 01:11 PM

At least half of the fan base: "Bob's the man! He's just can't help being tough on those kids...."

Wait, which logical fallacy is that? Straw man or ad hominem? I just can't seem to decide.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 01:27 PM
kabba is Ahmed Kabba, subject of Stoops' famous "I think we can find someone to catch 11 balls a year" quote when asked how badly OU will miss him (stoops' first summer here)

I heard this on the radio and the context of the discussion was the amount of experience we're losing, not the production (as repeated above). They were talking about the loss of experience and Bob used '40 touchdowns' in describing JW.

Even if it was mean-spirited, I'm willing to let Bob slide on this considering the spot he's in, having to deal with this while practices are starting & what-not

This raises a question: in the summer of 1999 when Bob said what he did about Kabba, were any of you incensed enough to start a thread & call him a bush-leaguer?

Does it matter that he transferred and he was a nobody?

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 01:31 PM
Semen? Is that the best you can do? Look, I don't really care what kind of protein drink you enjoy in the morning.

I just wish you'd stop making the damn Himalayas out of nothing and go wash the colon polyps out of your hair.

Read more, post less.

You are not providing any input, just attacking my opinion. The subject matter is over your head and we'll just leave it at that.

Texas Golfer
8/4/2006, 01:36 PM
FYI, the ESPN quote is not EXACTLY the same as the WWLS quote.

http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=131348.top ic&start=1&stop=20

If Stoops said this in private to Bomar's face, I have no problem with it.

But here are the facts.

1. Bomar was the #1 HS QB in the nation with a lot of light on him.
2. Bomar chose OU and OU wanted him badly.
3. Bomar repeatedly f'ed up and committed an act that was unforgiveable.
4. Bomar (and JD) embarrassed themselves and their program.....badly.
5. The length of time from Bomar's first inflated check to the program's knowledge of it was around a year.
6. Bomar and JD, because it was the only thing that could and should be done, were kicked out of the Oklahoma Football Program.
7. One day passes and Stoops says: "Well, it's not like we just lost Jason White who threw 40 touchdowns or anything" Twice.

That's weak sauce. There's no 2 ways about it. Stoops is better than that. In my opinion, Bob Stoops is the best CFB coach in the nation, but this particular comment was a lapse in judgment.

OU took in the #1 HS QB recruit in the nation and he reduced himself to rubble. This reflects poorly on OU regardless of the fact that it was Bomar's fault......bite your ******* lip and move on.

Bomar's HS prowess nothwithstanding, Stoops answered the question about OU's upcoming season without Bomar honestly. Bomar had a good last half of the season last year. That doesn't make him a Heisman contender. We lost more by losing JWhite than we did with Bomar (based on the only performance to judge).

To determine Stoops' emotion level during that response is reading into his professional answer. He could have meant no disrespect but some are deliberately trying to read into it. But then, he could have meant it very disparagingly.

Regardless of Stoops' intent, the answer nonetheless is a very true response to the question.

uncle mo
8/4/2006, 02:04 PM
Actually, Bob did go completely "Kabba" on Bomar in the team meeting Tuesday night. He said, "The QB threw for 10 touchdowns last year. I think we have more than one guy in this room who can do better than that this year. Don't you guys?" He wouldn't say Bomar's name in front of the team.

I think it is great. Bomar's gone. Isn't going to do any good for the team or the fans to think about him this season, is it?

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 02:09 PM
Actually, Bob did go completely "Kabba" on Bomar in the team meeting Tuesday night. He said, "The QB threw for 10 touchdowns last year. I think we have more than one guy in this room who can do better than that this year. Don't you guys?" He wouldn't say Bomar's name in front of the team.

I think it is great. Bomar's gone. Isn't going to do any good for the team or the fans to think about him this season, is it?

But, but he didn't mean anything derogatory toward Bomar.........I......

thought....................oh yeah..

Mulleted Tshirt fan "That Stoops is sure tough on those boys. Hoo-whee it's hot out here."

uncle mo
8/4/2006, 02:20 PM
Of course he meant it as a derogatory statement. You think that you or I wouldn't have made worse statements? C'mon, be realistic.

FaninAma
8/4/2006, 02:21 PM
XTR is right on in his comments.

As a man who has become a multi-millionaire thanks to the accomplishments of the young men he coaches, and in no small part to his own prowess as a football coach, he should be above comments like this when one of his charges disappoints him and the Sooner faithful.

Personally I am disappointed in Stoops' failure to admit he and the compliance office could have done a better job of policing the program and players.

I'm tired of the program cozying up to a few fat cat boosters without keeping close enough tabs on how these booster are interacting with the athletes.

24 or more players worked for BRS&I and yet it took the media to flesh out the AD fiasco and the new owners of BRS&I to bring the Boamr saga to their attention.

Not good.

1stTimeCaller
8/4/2006, 02:22 PM
don't let the facts get in the way of your stance on this issue

Big Red Ron
8/4/2006, 02:27 PM
Rub and I usually agree and stuff. This time, not so much.

Rhett Bomar is to blame and Stoops is right. Who the fucc does Bomar think he is?

Anyone who thinks Bomar was going to be anything but marginally better than last year just had high hopes.

I too think we can replace 10 td's and 10 int's.

Joe
8/4/2006, 02:34 PM
I just see it as Bob being Bob. Nothing different than what he's done for the past 7 years. I wouldn't have thought about it twice personally.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 02:40 PM
Rub and I usually agree and stuff. This time, not so much.

Rhett Bomar is to blame and Stoops is right. Who the fucc does Bomar think he is?

Anyone who thinks Bomar was going to be anything but marginally better than last year just had high hopes.

I too think we can replace 10 td's and 10 int's.

You just made the list, buddy.;)

I just think Bob could have pumped up Paul at that point instead of what he did.

uncle mo
8/4/2006, 02:45 PM
I just think Bob could have pumped up Paul at that point instead of what he did.[/QUOTE]

When has Bob not pumped up Paul? Bob can have a bit of a sharp tongue.

Again, I don't see it as a major deal. All of the coaches on the staff use much worse language to the players than that.

Big Red Ron
8/4/2006, 02:46 PM
You just made the list, buddy.;)

I just think Bob could have pumped up Paul at that point instead of what he did.I honestly think in Bob's way of thinking we was pumping Paul. He did also say that Paul never got a fair shot because of the play calling, which I think everyone can agree with.

I mean, during/after the Tulsa game I was ready to see more of Thompson. Long had other plans.

1stTimeCaller
8/4/2006, 02:46 PM
mo, you probably saw the press conference. the people that seem to have to biggest issues with what was said, didn't.

uncle mo
8/4/2006, 02:50 PM
Very true, 1TC. Having said that, I don't find fault with Bob's statements either public or private.

Pricetag
8/4/2006, 03:01 PM
I didn't read that quote as a slam in any way. There are tons of fans and media members--who are just loving this whole thing and looking to add fuel to the fire--who would have everyone believe that the upcoming season is a complete wash because we lost Bomar.

The fact of the matter is that we got where we did last season with a quarterback who passed for just over 2,000 yards, threw ten touchdown passes, and ten interceptions.

Now, all of us, and I think the coaches too, saw Rhett as a guy who may have had the potential to be the type of player that Jason was (hence mentioning the stats), and because of this, we feel like that's what we lost.

IMO, Coach Stoops is simply reminding everyone that while we may have lost a tremendous potential player, that wasn't what we saw on the field last year, and it's not what we have to replace this year to have at least a decent season.

Doged
8/4/2006, 03:02 PM
Very true, 1TC. Having said that, I don't find fault with Bob's statements either public or private.

Whether you do or not, there will be some people who will remain determined to find fault with it regardless of the context. If a couple of Sooner fans are that determined to make it a bad thing it can't be long until some media rube takes the same spin.

soonerloyal
8/4/2006, 03:05 PM

:eek:

Dayum, did I just wander into the Whornfan den by mistake? That's just a whole pan of cornpone wrong...
:hot:

kruss1971
8/4/2006, 03:10 PM
Several posters on another board claim that Stoops went "Kabba" on Rhett.

and he said it twice.

I hope this isn't true. Anyone hear it?
it was on the animal btw

XTC...this is hilarious. Every post of yours in this thread seems to be an effort to convince people that Stoops was making bush-league comments about The Idiot.

But wait...what is that...you "hope it isn't true?" Did you or did you not see/hear the press conference in its full context? There was nothing at all wrong with the way that he handled his comments. Your analogy about his hypothetical comment and the hypothetical reaction was quite a stretch. I'm more inclined to propose another hypothetical.

Scene: You working at your job...your boss walks in to discuss some news with you.

Boss: XTC...we're getting a new printer.
XTC: But...what about all my documents? How will I print them all?
Boss: It's not like you're printing a book or something.
XTC: GOSH!!! THAT IS SO BUSH-LEAGUE!!!

You have a chip on your shoulder...or something.

starclassic tama
8/4/2006, 03:21 PM
EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION TO ME !

Seamus
8/4/2006, 03:35 PM
XTC...this is hilarious. Every post of yours in this thread seems to be an effort to convince people that Stoops was making bush-league comments about The Idiot.

But wait...what is that...you "hope it isn't true?" Did you or did you not see/hear the press conference in its full context? There was nothing at all wrong with the way that he handled his comments. Your analogy about his hypothetical comment and the hypothetical reaction was quite a stretch. I'm more inclined to propose another hypothetical.

Scene: You working at your job...your boss walks in to discuss some news with you.

Boss: XTC...we're getting a new printer.
XTC: But...what about all my documents? How will I print them all?
Boss: It's not like you're printing a book or something.
XTC: GOSH!!! THAT IS SO BUSH-LEAGUE!!!

You have a chip on your shoulder...or something.

Thank you. Exactly.

But you'd better be careful or you'll be told it's over your head.

XTR is just another ****-stirrer who can't wait to dip his spoon in.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2006, 03:54 PM
I just think Bob could have pumped up Paul at that point instead of what he did.

Boo, ****ing, hoo.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/4/2006, 04:05 PM
First of all guys..XTR is a regular around here and has earned his right to voice his opinion. If you have less than 500 post it would be best to just disagree with him without attacking him. The next thing is.....Stoops is raising men, he isn't here to coddle people. One of Bomar's biggest problems is that he believes his **** doesn't stink and thinks he is entitled to lots of things. What does Bomar need to become a man...he needs to realize that Rhett Bomar's are a dime a dozen in this world. It's like Adrian...he is a world class athlete...a once in a generation type star...but he came in replacing the number 2 all time rusher at this University, we would have won 9, 10, 11 games with or without him. I am sure he said something similar about Dvoracek..

MiccoMacey
8/4/2006, 04:16 PM
Bob Stoops is human.

I do not require the HC of a program I follow to be the next JC.

If this is his largest transgression to date, I'm a happy man.

Maybe he erred...maybe he didn't.

Either case, it's not a huge deal.

colleyvillesooner
8/4/2006, 04:18 PM
First of all guys..XTR is a regular around here and has earned his right to voice his opinion. If you have less than 500 post it would be best to just disagree with him without attacking him. The next thing is.....Stoops is raising men, he isn't here to coddle people. One of Bomar's biggest problems is that he believes his **** doesn't stink and thinks he is entitled to lots of things. What does Bomar need to become a man...he needs to realize that Rhett Bomar's are a dime a dozen in this world. It's like Adrian...he is a world class athlete...a once in a generation type star...but he came in replacing the number 2 all time rusher at this University, we would have won 9, 10, 11 games with or without him. I am sure he said something similar about Dvoracek..

Quiet noob.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/4/2006, 04:20 PM
Yes Sir Master!

colleyvillesooner
8/4/2006, 04:21 PM
As much as this sucks, at least it livened the board up a little before the season started!

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/4/2006, 04:25 PM
Well to be fair..that truly was Bomar's intention, since he is a regular poster here(Fuque) He was like what can I do to destroy the played out political threads and played out Stanley threads!!

JohnnyMack
8/4/2006, 04:25 PM
As much as this sucks, at least it livened the board up a little before the season started!

:rolleyes:

<runs away>

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 04:33 PM
XTR is right on in his comments. -FaninAma

XTR is right on in his comments. -XTR

XTR is wrong, I hope he dies. I'm tough, just like Bob Stoops -MulletedSF

Grad degree - DR.

Grad degree - Att.

Mullett (sleeves cut off)

Blue
8/4/2006, 04:35 PM
Knowing some of the Dr's and attorneys I know, that isn't saying much.

Jus Sayin'

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 04:35 PM
Boo, ****ing, hoo.

Found those cinder blocks yet, genius..

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 04:37 PM
Grad degree - DR.

Grad degree - Att.

Mullett (sleeves cut off)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was just a slight jab, for entertainment purposes only.

Octavian
8/4/2006, 04:38 PM
I honestly think in Bob's way of thinking we was pumping Paul.

So do I.

Rhett took money...Rhett lied to Bob.

Stoops was the one betrayed...not the other way around.

Bob said in yesterday's press conference that he will still help both of them play somewhere else.

That's more than he owes 'em.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2006, 04:43 PM
Found those cinder blocks yet, genius..

The cinder blocks comment was an attempt at levity. I would think with all your fancy advanced degrees you would know that.

Question. Why are you so quick to take umbrage with what Stoops said? Bomar is the one who disgraced himself, the University, his team and the coaching staff. A team and a coaching staff that had invested years grooming this kid to be our QB. Bomar made the mistake here, not Stoops. Bomar is spoiled rich kid with the sense of bullet-proof entitlement who fu*ked us over, Stoops is the one left to pick up the pieces. So if Robert decides that Bomar earned that shot across the bow, then so be it. If Bomar can't handle it, he can run to daddy and cry and point fingers at the bad, bad Stoopsie monster. You don't think Stoops should have said what he did and I respect your opinion. What I don't get is your misplaced sense of loyalty in all this.

MikeInNorman
8/4/2006, 04:49 PM
I honestly think in Bob's way of thinking we was pumping Paul. He did also say that Paul never got a fair shot because of the play calling, which I think everyone can agree with.

I mean, during/after the Tulsa game I was ready to see more of Thompson. Long had other plans.

The next time you repeat this saga it will be: "Yeah, Stoops said that Chuck Long held him down and gave him noogies until he agreed to make Paul fail, on purpose. He said Wilson had already cried Uncle due to a severe pink belly administered by CL. That how the Plot to Keep Paul Down was formed. "

What you don't know about the QB situation last year could fill warehouses.

You hate CL. WE GET IT. WE GET IT. WE GET IT.

CL is not the coach here anymore. I know that's tough to deal with, but it's true.

I feel sorry for Kevin Wilson.

Octavian
8/4/2006, 04:55 PM
The next time you repeat this saga it will be: "Yeah, Stoops said that Chuck Long held him down and gave him noogies until he agreed to make Paul fail, on purpose. He said Wilson had already cried Uncle due to a severe pink belly administered by CL. That how the Plot to Keep Paul Down was formed. "

What you don't know about the QB situation last year could fill warehouses.

You hate CL. WE GET IT. WE GET IT. WE GET IT.

CL is not the coach here anymore. I know that's tough to deal with, but it's true.

I feel sorry for Kevin Wilson.

methinks you haven't quite put it behind you either.

MikeInNorman
8/4/2006, 05:01 PM
methinks you haven't quite put it behind you either.

methinks I just can't stand history being (re)-written by these types.

OUstud
8/4/2006, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't consider his comments a "rip", just reminding everyone that he was not, indeed, the reigning Heisman winner or anything. So he was a big shot in HS, I believe it was Stoops who would tell players to throw out their HS scrapbooks, because it means nothing here.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 05:10 PM
The cinder blocks comment was an attempt at levity. I would think with all your fancy advanced degrees you would know that.

Question. Why are you so quick to take umbrage with what Stoops said? Bomar is the one who disgraced himself, the University, his team and the coaching staff. A team and a coaching staff that had invested years grooming this kid to be our QB. Bomar made the mistake here, not Stoops. Bomar is spoiled rich kid with the sense of bullet-proof entitlement who fu*ked us over, Stoops is the one left to pick up the pieces. So if Robert decides that Bomar earned that shot across the bow, then so be it. If Bomar can't handle it, he can run to daddy and cry and point fingers at the bad, bad Stoopsie monster. You don't think Stoops should have said what he did and I respect your opinion. What I don't get is your misplaced sense of loyalty in all this.

Freaking finally.

I've been holding out on the answer until someone finally asked the question. It took long enough.

Here's the answer.

I do not give a **** about Bomar's place in all this when it comes to the comment.

It's about the future.

Here we go.....

Mack Brown "Hey, how's it going"
Top recruit in the nation (2007) "I'm great"
MB "you thinking about visiting OU?"
Recruit "Yeah."
MB "Let me tell you a story. About how OU handles "Top recruits." The last time they had one, he f'ed up and was ran out of town on a rail, and do you know what Stoops did for him after his career was reduced to ****? He dogged him in the media. The second you are no longer eligible to help him, he will crucify you."
Recruit "****"
MB "**** yeah"
Recruit "Don't touch me."
MB "You got it."

That's why. Thanks for finally asking the question, JM.

colleyvillesooner
8/4/2006, 05:13 PM
FIt's about the future.

Here we go.....

Recruit "Yeah."
MB "Let me tell you a story. About how OU handles "Top recruits." The last time they had one, he f'ed up and was ran out of town on a rail, and do you know what Stoops did for him after his career was reduced to ****? He dogged him in the media. The second you are no longer eligible to help him, he will crucify you."
Recruit "****"
MB "**** yeah"
Recruit: "Well, I'm not planning on ****ing up like that *********, so I'm still going to OU. See you in October...bitch."
MB "oh."
Recruit: "Owned."

Fixed :D

bomber64manat
8/4/2006, 05:20 PM
rhett is a grown a** man bob is not his daddy and he coulda told big red to stop giving him unearned money but no he took the easy way out and now look he can go texas and play 4 wack a** mack brown and oh yea bob stoops made the best decision possible 4 his team and the university of OU

Blue
8/4/2006, 05:26 PM
rhett is a grown a** man bob is not his daddy and he coulda told big red to stop giving him unearned money but no he took the easy way out and now look he can go texas and play 4 wack a** mack brown and oh yea bob stoops made the best decision possible 4 his team and the university of OU

It's called a period. Look it up. And stop sleeping in English class.

Harry Beanbag
8/4/2006, 06:40 PM
Freaking finally.

I've been holding out on the answer until someone finally asked the question. It took long enough.

Here's the answer.

I do not give a **** about Bomar's place in all this when it comes to the comment.

It's about the future.

Here we go.....

Recruit "Yeah."
Recruit "****"
MB "**** yeah"
MB "You got it."

I'm pleased that you were finally able to find one of the lowly mulleted minions here at SF that was bright enough to understand where you wanted to steer this pathetic pile of **** thread. Congrats. :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
8/4/2006, 08:14 PM
Freaking finally.

Here's the answer.

It's about the future.

Here we go.....

Recruit "Yeah."
Recruit "****"
MB "**** yeah"
MB "You got it."

What an amazing load of bull****.

SleestakSooner
8/4/2006, 08:46 PM

Can I get an AMEN?!?! :pop:

Let the feeding frenzy begin... some sharks like XTR smell a little chum in the water and start biting whatever moves. How about directing that sort of slimeball anger towards those south of the RR? If you haven't noticed we have had enough BS to digest around here lately. You calling out Stoops "in public" seems a bit bush league too.

sanantoniosooner
8/4/2006, 09:20 PM
So......what is Mack's line?

"Violate NCAA rules and we'll turn a blind eye"?

I can't imagine using "He runs a clean program" as a negative recruiting tactic.

tulsaoilerfan
8/4/2006, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't have cared if he was rude. It isn't like he owes Bomar anything. Things would have been easier with Bomar. But let's face it...he wasn't Jason White
Or even Nate Hybl:D

OKC-SLC
8/4/2006, 09:58 PM
MB "You got it."

agree with XTR or not, that's effing funny right there.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 10:03 PM
amazing.

Thanks.

Harry Beanbag
8/4/2006, 10:11 PM
So......what is Mack's line?

"Violate NCAA rules and we'll turn a blind eye"?

I can't imagine using "He runs a clean program" as a negative recruiting tactic.

Obviously, the subject matter is over your head as well. :)

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2006, 10:30 PM

Let the feeding frenzy begin... some sharks like XTR smell a little chum in the water and start biting whatever moves. How about directing that sort of slimeball anger towards those south of the RR? If you haven't noticed we have had enough BS to digest around here lately. You calling out Stoops "in public" seems a bit bush league too.

Listen here buddy, well,....... that's actually a pretty good point.

sanantoniosooner
8/4/2006, 10:32 PM
Obviously, the subject matter is over your head as well. :)
Although I've joined in late and haven't read most of the thread.......

It appears that XTR thinks this will be used as fodder for negative recruiting.

That's all I addressed.

If you want to summarize the entire thing, I'll be happy to comment more broadly.

Soonerfan88
8/4/2006, 10:49 PM
Personally I am disappointed in Stoops' failure to admit he and the compliance office could have done a better job of policing the program and players.
Player fills out summer job notice for compliance office..employer fills out summer job notice for compliance office..player turns in timesheet for hours/wages worked just as mandated..employer sends in corroborating form with hours/wages on it..employer writes check matching falsified hours/wages for player to turn in copy of paystub to compliance office..employer writes second check for bogus hours to player who cashes it without telling coach or compliance officer about it..player continues to "work" for employer during fall semester and get paid but tells neither coach nor compliance office about it. Please explain how to police this better without illegally accessing anyone's financial records or providing a 24 guard on every scholarship athlete (not just football players) at OU.

I'm tired of the program cozying up to a few fat cat boosters without keeping close enough tabs on how these booster are interacting with the athletes.
Please mail contribution to Sooner Club to pay for private investigators to watch all scholarship athletes and boosters 24/7 as said fat-cat boosters won't pay for the invasion of privacy themselves.

24 or more players worked for BRS&I and yet it took the media to flesh out the AD fiasco and the new owners of BRS&I to bring the Boamr saga to their attention.
FYI, they weren't all working there at the same time - that number is spread over 5-6 years so only 4-5 at a time.

Not good. You're right, RB & JD do not a single good reason for taking the money. Shame on them.

I laughed when I heard Stoops say it the first time and giggled again when he said it twice. :D

SouthFortySooner
8/4/2006, 11:36 PM
Turn the microscope down.

SleestakSooner
8/4/2006, 11:54 PM

Listen here buddy, well,....... that's actually a pretty good point.

Of course it is... why do you think I made it? ;)

Seamus
8/5/2006, 03:53 AM
First of all guys..XTR is a regular around here and has earned his right to voice his opinion. If you have less than 500 post it would be best to just disagree with him without attacking him.

Oh, so one has to reach a certain post limit to reveal oneself as a total vas deferens?

Well, we now know who's been providing XTR with the morning protein shakes ...

sanantoniosooner
8/5/2006, 11:06 AM
Oh, so one has to reach a certain post limit to reveal oneself as a total vas deferens?

Well, we now know who's been providing XTR with the morning protein shakes ...
Stuff that crap.

All it means is that he has provided plenty of opinion around here for the rest of us to know that he is a good fan with a differering opinion. If somebody doesn't have a few posts under their belt, then we don't know what type of poster they are.

All I know about you is that you like homo references.

Seamus
8/5/2006, 12:32 PM
Fair enough, and reasonable. Certainly moreso than the incredibly clever and knee-slapping juxtaposition of my name to semen.

But I'll let it rest.

sanantoniosooner
8/5/2006, 01:21 PM
Fair enough, and reasonable. Certainly moreso than the incredibly clever and knee-slapping juxtaposition of my name to semen.

But I'll let it rest.
actually it was a reference to the "protien shakes" you were suggesting the other poster was ingesting.

thanks for credit on the juxtaposition of the name though.

Seamus
8/5/2006, 01:34 PM
actually it was a reference to the "protien shakes" you were suggesting the other poster was ingesting.

thanks for credit on the juxtaposition of the name though.

take another look -- my blast was a reply to his. no biggie.

Big Red Ron
8/5/2006, 10:57 PM
:rolleyes: :twinkies:
methinks I just can't stand history being (re)-written by these types.

sanantoniosooner
8/6/2006, 12:33 AM
:rolleyes: :twinkies:
:hot: :rolleyes:

Egeo
8/6/2006, 01:22 AM
What an amazing load of bull****.
i concur

and for the record - i expected every bit of a better qb rating out of bomar this year
his go to wr's are now sophomores and he's had all year to get better
*let me state i am a big wilson fan, and thought rankins had some talent - but they were much injured*
put it this way, he could complete a pass against tulsa now

and a grad degree does not make an opinion any less like an *******

C&CDean
8/6/2006, 03:42 PM
Freaking finally.

Here's the answer.

It's about the future.

Here we go.....

Recruit "Yeah."
Recruit "****"
MB "**** yeah"
MB "You got it."

I finally looked at this POS thread. And all I gotta say is "you gotta be kidding me, right?"

You liberals even let your silliness pervade your football thoughts too. Wow.

"Ooh, let's be gentle with the kid, it's bush league to rip him, he's all sensitive and ****, some big-time crybaby kid ain't gonna want to come here cause Stoops might embarrass him if he ****s up. Be gentle with him....."

Give me a break X. Bomar is a ****ing dildo, and as far as I'm concerned, got off pretty easy with the press. He should be run outta town on a rail. He should be publicly ostracized. The choice of one selfish, ****ed up kid has resulted in setting our program back 2 ****ing decades in terms of national reputation. **** him. Period.

Stoops only spoke the truth. Without malice. Which makes him a hell of a lot classier than I would have been in the same situation.

RedstickSooner
8/6/2006, 04:17 PM
Dean, seriously - no need to bring politics up, yo.

Surely we're having enough fun in this thread already? :D

I liked this thread (at first, before I got a headache wading through all of it) because I like it when someone makes me consider something I hadn't considered before: Namely, was it "unclassy" for Stoops to say something like that?

Because of the thread, and to kill time while I churned through it, I did some thinking on the subject. And figured that while it might not have been the nicest thing ever, it sure didn't seem out of line. Stoops has stated repeatedly that they're very clear with kids on what we expect out of them -- and I have yet to have anyone tell me precisely how it is that universities can investigate this sort of thing more closely unless the business in question (or player in question) voluntarily confesses to the violation. I still wonder if the university is privvy (legally) to anything more than tax returns once they become available during tax season. (Although, you'd still think we'd figure stuff out a few months faster.)

I'd rather we scare recruits away, if the upside is that they make damn sure they want to be *clean* if they play for us.

The Idiot knew what he was doing was wrong. We don't owe him squat. Frankly, he'll probably get more support from Stoops than he should.

OklahomaSooners
8/6/2006, 05:53 PM
rhett is a grown a** man bob is not his daddy and he coulda told big red to stop giving him unearned money but no he took the easy way out and now look he can go texas and play 4 wack a** mack brown and oh yea bob stoops made the best decision possible 4 his team and the university of OU Um not sure about the way you write, But Finally the voice of reason!!!