PDA

View Full Version : Do Not, I Repeat, Do Not Underestimate Paul Thompson

SoonerFan80
8/3/2006, 08:12 PM
Look, I'm not trying to sugarcoat the situation by saying that OU's season just got better because Rhett Bomar got kicked off the team. However, that being said, I honestly feel that people are not giving Paul Thompson enough credit for the kind of player and athlete he is. I'm not saying that he is as a refined of a passer as Bomar and I'm not saying he's Vince Young, but if there's one thing Vince Young proved over his career, it's that you don't have to be the most proficient passer in the world to make big plays. Paul Thompson is big, strong and fast and I promise you he will surprise, especially with his speed and mobility, the critics of his ability. We all know he never got a fair chance to prove himself, 1 1/2 games is simply not near enough time to show what you can do (we all know there was an agenda last year that it was gonna be Bomar all along). You'd be surprised what a player can do when he gets a second and in Paul's case last chance at stardom.

85sooners
8/3/2006, 08:51 PM
option please

Miko
8/3/2006, 08:52 PM
I agree. And I think we all feel that if any person derserves a shot at redemption and for things to go his way, it's PT.

I think if Stoops told this young man that it would help this team if Paul sold chairbacks in the stands or joined the cheerleading squad, PT would race into the stands with his little money apron on or start doing backflips.

The good guys don't always finish last.

Indy Sooner
8/3/2006, 09:00 PM
option please

Wishbone please...

MTSCSooner
8/3/2006, 09:43 PM
I gotta say that I am somewhat torn here. You have to love the unselfishness of PT and I agree that he would do whatever the coaches asked, but what happens for the next 2-3 years. There is a possibility of having 4 different QB's in 4 years. I guess I am just a little concerned that by not playing one of the younger guys this year, there may be issues with consistency over the next few years.

goingoneight
8/3/2006, 10:13 PM
I gotta say that I am somewhat torn here. You have to love the unselfishness of PT and I agree that he would do whatever the coaches asked, but what happens for the next 2-3 years. There is a possibility of having 4 different QB's in 4 years. I guess I am just a little concerned that by not playing one of the younger guys this year, there may be issues with consistency over the next few years.

I've got a feeling Stoops has learned by now that when you're up 42-14 against the worst in the conference, you need to give the n00bs some snaps.

SoonerAcesUp
8/3/2006, 10:22 PM

I understand where you are coming from. But with that being said, I also feel that Thompson gives us the best chance to win this year and we probably shouldn't sacrifice this year especially since it may be AD's last year. I'm not giving up hope on a great season! Nobody expected us to win the NC in 2000!

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 10:33 PM
I understand where you are coming from. But with that being said, I also feel that Thompson gives us the best chance to win this year and we probably shouldn't sacrifice this year especially since it may be AD's last year. I'm not giving up hope on a great season! Nobody expected us to win the NC in 2000!
that's the spirit. i think talent-wise we're still more talented than in 2000 and, in retrospect, i still think we're in a better position than last year. one player doesn't make the team, nate hybl proved that one.

badger
8/3/2006, 10:37 PM
option please
warm...

wishbone please
warmer...

trick play that nebraska used against us in 2001, please
bingo!

mikeelikee
8/3/2006, 10:40 PM
What gives me cause for some optimism is that, as we've learned more and more about Bomar, it has become clear his attitude was a cancer on team unity and morale. Paul Thompson has earned the respect of his teammates for his sacrificial, team-first attitude, and this can serve as a rallying point for them.

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 10:41 PM
What gives me cause for some optimism is that, as we've learned more and more about Bomar, it has become clear his attitude was a cancer on team unity and morale. Paul Thompson has earned the respect of his teammates for his sacrificial, team-first attitude, and this can serve as a rallying point for them.
sounds like a definite + to me

GottaHavePride
8/4/2006, 12:09 PM
There is a possibility of having 4 different QB's in 4 years. I guess I am just a little concerned that by not playing one of the younger guys this year, there may be issues with consistency over the next few years.

This has not been a problem for Mike Leach's offenses. Consistency = overrated. ;)

BASSooner
8/4/2006, 12:13 PM
Thompson gives us something that this team needed so bad, leadership.

Texas Golfer
8/4/2006, 12:18 PM

Joey will get playing time but PT is the "go to guy" right now. Joey is not ready yet.

CU Sooner
8/4/2006, 01:48 PM
1 1/2 games is simply not near enough time to show what you can do (we all know there was an agenda last year that it was gonna be Bomar all along). You'd be surprised what a player can do when he gets a second and in Paul's case last chance at stardom.

Where was the 1, he only got the 1/2. I do think PT will be successful, it's amazing what you can do when you know that if you do make a mistake that your still going to keep playing. Plus, KW had a big time offense at Northwesern with less talent. My expectations haven't lessened.

footballfanatic
8/4/2006, 01:49 PM
Thompson wasa great athlete who starred at Leander in Austin. While I never saw him play in person, I have heard that he was sensational. Also, his old coach was singing his praises in the paper today. While he isn't as good a passer, his mobility may make him more valuable, since the line is possibly suspect.

sooneron
8/4/2006, 02:00 PM
I can definitely see Halzle seeing the field this year. We have to work him into games. Go into a game with the plan that we will use him in a diff scheme than Paul's to shake up the other team a few times. Ala Fran at atm with what they have done the past two years with us. It was successful to an extent.

Miko
8/4/2006, 04:22 PM
Remember the time Paul Thompson showed up at the halftime of the Bourbon Bowl...?

Big Red Ron
8/4/2006, 04:26 PM
Remember when all you jokers said we should bench JW and put in PT in the Sugar Bowl.

Good times.

josh09
8/4/2006, 04:52 PM
those were the days

AzianSooner
8/4/2006, 05:41 PM
I would only wish to see PT drop some accurate long ball.

Then "Rest In Peace" Texass.