PDA

View Full Version : I feel Vindicated

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 04:14 PM
Bobs stoops admitted that they did not give Paul a proper chance last year.
This according to Al.

Mjcpr
8/3/2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think that's what he said.

He said they were very close in competition and with that being equal they went with Rhett because of upside and time left.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 04:20 PM
That worked out well for us ;)

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2006, 04:23 PM
i knew this post was coming......i wasnt sure exactly what it would say, but i knew it was coming

Mjcpr
8/3/2006, 04:23 PM
That worked out well for us ;)

Had they been able to see the future, they probably would've gone in a different direction.

Ban One Sooner
8/3/2006, 04:25 PM
I think Paul could have been at least as high a draft pick as Brandon Jones and maybe Travis Wilson if he had been able to stick with WR. It's good for the team having him to step in at QB, but you have to wonder how much money Bomar's stupidity cost Paul. Hopefully he can pull an Anquan Boldin even though he plays QB this year.

Paul's had to really get hosed personally over his career because of the stupidity of our other QB's.

Long must not have been much for recruiting based on character: Rawls, Wall and now Bomar.

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 04:32 PM
I don't think that's what he said.

He said they were very close in competition and with that being equal they went with Rhett because of upside and time left.

Al Stated that Bob said this at the luncheon. He said that Bob said they did not use him to his strengths and he was not given a really fair opportunity.

who knows he might be bad but

He played in his first starting game at home in front of 80K fans against a team that ended up being pretty damn good. What 10-1. with our O line was very new and it showed throughout the first half of the season. Rhett was chosen for his longevity and I understand that. That is prologue

Anyway no reason to rehash, we will see how he does. Its a new year. I hope he has a good year. Kevin wilson might be a big help as opposed to Coach long

Soonerman08
8/3/2006, 04:57 PM
Al Stated that Bob said this at the luncheon. He said that Bob said they did not use him to his strengths and he was not given a really fair opportunity.

who knows he might be bad but

He played in his first starting game at home in front of 80K fans against a team that ended up being pretty damn good. What 10-1. with our O line was very new and it showed throughout the first half of the season. Rhett was chosen for his longevity and I understand that. That is prologue

Anyway no reason to rehash, we will see how he does. Its a new year. I hope he has a good year. Kevin wilson might be a big help as opposed to Coach long

He can't throw......how is that not giving him a fair opportunity? He threw how many screens and couldn't even complete a high percentage of them??? The screen to Runnels....could have been the worst pass I have ever seen.

Joe
8/3/2006, 05:01 PM
Takes a small Sooner fan to find satisfaction with anything that's happened the past 2 days.

Oh, sorry. Don't let me rain on your parade.

crawfish
8/3/2006, 05:04 PM
Had they been able to see the future, they probably would've gone in a different direction.

Our prognostication compliance staff obviously needs to be replaced.

sooneron
8/3/2006, 05:08 PM
He can't throw......how is that not giving him a fair opportunity? He threw how many screens and couldn't even complete a high percentage of them??? The screen to Runnels....could have been the worst pass I have ever seen.
Do you really think that this staff (One that included a guy pretty good at building qb's) would have kept Paul around as a qb until last fall if they thought he couldn't pass??

C&CDean
8/3/2006, 05:11 PM
Do you really think that this staff (One that included a guy pretty good at building qb's) would have kept Paul around as a qb until last fall if they thought he couldn't pass??

Well obviously.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 05:12 PM
Do you really think that this staff (One that included a guy pretty good at building qb's) would have kept Paul around as a qb until last fall if they thought he couldn't pass??The fact that you even have to ask that question is sad for the entire football board.:O Some of these people are effin stupid.

sooneron
8/3/2006, 05:19 PM
Well obviously.
Yeah, well, I wish that the staff knew as much as some of our posters. Then we'd be high on the hog.

C&CDean
8/3/2006, 05:25 PM
Give it a break ron. I like PT for all he's done for us, but he ain't a QB. Period. Yes, it makes sense for Stoops to announce him the starter in the name of "stability," but if he's still taking snaps by the MTSU game, I'll be one shocked puppy.

I would like nothing more than for PT to prove me wrong. Pretty much how I felt last year. I'll support whoever the coaches pick, but the reality is, our coaches aren't stupid. They're playing fireman right now. Name PT, get it over with, get the media to back off a little, etc. Believe me, they don't think PT is the better QB.

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 05:27 PM
THank you coach Dean

Pricetag
8/3/2006, 05:29 PM
I kinda winced last year when Rhett was given the starting job because, although that was what I wanted to see because I relished the idea of a four-year starter, it was pretty easy to see that Paul didn't get what I'd call a fair shot. Heck, Bomar sucked so bad against Tulsa that we didn't pass in the second half. He had hardly demonstrated that he was any better at that point.

I don't remember much about the TCU game besides Paul's fumble inside the TCU five and the miss on the first play of the game. I wonder how things might have been different had he completed the pass. I think we would definitely have won that game. Believe it or not, QBs not named Jason White do occasionally miss a deep ball or two.

Would Paul have hung on to the job all year? Who knows. I do know that those young receivers got better as the season went along. It wasn't just Bomar.

I think starting Thompson is the best possible move given the situation we're in, and if there is any good in this world at all, he'll do well. He certainly deserves it.

sooneron
8/3/2006, 05:30 PM
Strongly disagree. We were trying to shoe horn him into the Chuck Long O. That WAS the MO of the staff when Chuck was in charge. If the guy doesn't shine in the system, close down half the system to vanilla instead of looking for some schemes where the player can do some good.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 05:33 PM
Strongly disagree. We were trying to shoe horn him into the Chuck Long O. That WAS the MO of the staff when Chuck was in charge. If the guy doesn't shine in the system, close down half the system to vanilla instead of looking for some schemes where the player can do some good.True. Matbe Rhett will end uo at San Diego?

sooneron
8/3/2006, 05:36 PM
True. Matbe Rhett will end uo at San Diego?
That would be awesome!:texan:

King Crimson
8/3/2006, 05:38 PM
Strongly disagree. We were trying to shoe horn him into the Chuck Long O. That WAS the MO of the staff when Chuck was in charge. If the guy doesn't shine in the system, close down half the system to vanilla instead of looking for some schemes where the player can do some good.

i completely agree with "ron" on this one. Chuck calls a game like a drop back guy.

Dean is backpedaling since he was huffing Halzle last night as the starter.

doesn't mean we'll be great, but even with Bomar i thought we were a legit top 10 team...and that was that. we still have a very good to excellent D and a young OL. and one of the best RB's in the country. none of that has changed.

sanantoniosooner
8/3/2006, 05:40 PM
PT must be a good QB because RB is an idiot.

How can you not follow this logic?

sooneron
8/3/2006, 05:42 PM
3 keys-

Safeties stick to their assignments
OLine develops SOME DECENT cohesion by the ore. game
The qb doesn't make mistakes that kill us

That's it. We can still have a good year and possibly surprise some people.

Spray
8/3/2006, 05:42 PM
This according to Al.

Feeling vindicated is a good thing, right? So you're pretty pumped about all this? I mean, you're VINDICATED. You get to say "I told you so" on the Internet. F*** yeah! Of course, it sucks for the team and the university and the fans- but you were friggin' RIGHT ALL ALONG! How sah-weeet it is!

caphorns
8/3/2006, 06:03 PM
Long was quite the cancer for your team apparently. He's even to blame for not turning PT into a superstar QB apparently.

Look, I have to agree with Dean. PT is a serviceable college QB, who could be an NFL caliber WR. When Hazle or Bradford are ready to take over, I would not be suprised to see him move back.

Blue
8/3/2006, 06:08 PM
Feeling vindicated is a good thing, right? So you're pretty pumped about all this? I mean, you're VINDICATED. You get to say "I told you so" on the Internet. F*** yeah! Of course, it sucks for the team and the university and the fans- but you were friggin' RIGHT ALL ALONG! How sah-weeet it is!

Agreed. Pretty lame.

Jello Biafra
8/3/2006, 06:08 PM
Long was quite the cancer for your team apparently. He's even to blame for not turning PT into a superstar QB apparently.

Look, I have to agree with Dean. PT is a serviceable college QB, who could be an NFL caliber WR. When Hazle or Bradford are ready to take over, I would not be suprised to see him move back.

thanks for your input. now shut up and don't come back until you can tell us which qb our defense gets to beat down.

ps our defense is still better than yours..........

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 06:09 PM

I don't feel that way at all. I had alot of nasty things said to me last year true. I understood the logic of Bomar but nevertheless I didn't feel PT got a fair shot and this confirms the coaches thought. now if Bomar would have worked out, he would have never said it.
I think it will be good for the team. If bomar was as arrogant and self serving as he appeared to be, there had to be alot of negative feelings about him on the team. I do think the team will work extra hard to help PT and I hope it proves to solidify the front 5 and they can have a successful year. Hey its what we have and I am still excited for the season to begin. Copeeesh

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 06:11 PM
By the way if your gonna neg leave your name.
Same to ya

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 06:34 PM

Look, I have to agree with Dean. PT is a serviceable college QB, who could be an NFL caliber WR. When Hazle or Bradford are ready to take over, I would not be suprised to see him move back.you hope

GottaHavePride
8/3/2006, 07:06 PM
I think Paul could have been at least as high a draft pick as Brandon Jones and maybe Travis Wilson if he had been able to stick with WR. It's good for the team having him to step in at QB, but you have to wonder how much money Bomar's stupidity cost Paul. Hopefully he can pull an Anquan Boldin even though he plays QB this year.

Paul's had to really get hosed personally over his career because of the stupidity of our other QB's.

Long must not have been much for recruiting based on character: Rawls, Wall and now Bomar.

Antwaan Randle-El did pretty well for himself.

And I agree. Chuck Long seems to have chosen... poorly.

PDXsooner
8/3/2006, 07:09 PM
with all these coaches on this board, i wonder why we don't just fax the gameplan right to stoops's office before each game

GottaHavePride
8/3/2006, 07:12 PM
I think we tried that once a few years ago and got Reggie McNeal-ed.

sooneron
8/3/2006, 07:19 PM

I 'm sorry but where in the **** did I say that? If you're going to put words in my mouth, at least be CLOSE to right about it. Seriously, you ****ing whorns are WAY too comfy over here.
Long was notoriously stubborn when it came to his system/playcalling. I also fail to see my prediction on Thompson being a superstar. I think he can be a good qb, not great, but somewhere in the realm of N8. As long as he doesn't lose us games and he keeps the O moving, we'll be fine.
Basically, we need someone that can complete about 18-20 passes a game. IF the line can give him time, I think he can do that with around a 55 - 58% completion percentage.
That leaves around 30-35 running plays. AD gets 25 of those and spread around the rest.

MiccoMacey
8/3/2006, 07:35 PM
Give it a break ron. I like PT for all he's done for us, but he ain't a QB. Period. Yes, it makes sense for Stoops to announce him the starter in the name of "stability," but if he's still taking snaps by the MTSU game, I'll be one shocked puppy.

I would like nothing more than for PT to prove me wrong. Pretty much how I felt last year. I'll support whoever the coaches pick, but the reality is, our coaches aren't stupid. They're playing fireman right now. Name PT, get it over with, get the media to back off a little, etc. Believe me, they don't think PT is the better QB.

Disagree.

He is a QB. Bomar looked pretty bad in that game as well. He had some gawd-awful passes as well, and not just in that game. He got better as the season progressed, but there's no reason to believe PT wouldn't have gotten better as well.

Like you, I support whomever the coaches pick. But it's not about being better than Bomar. The statement just said he wasn't given a fair chance. And Bob Stoops agrees.

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 07:36 PM
with all these coaches on this board, i wonder why we don't just fax the gameplan right to stoops's office before each game
DONE :)

C&CDean
8/3/2006, 07:38 PM
i completely agree with "ron" on this one. Chuck calls a game like a drop back guy.

Dean is backpedaling since he was huffing Halzle last night as the starter.

doesn't mean we'll be great, but even with Bomar i thought we were a legit top 10 team...and that was that. we still have a very good to excellent D and a young OL. and one of the best RB's in the country. none of that has changed.

Backpedaling? Nope. I still say Halzle starts. If not UAB, very soon thereafter. He's simply the better QB.

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 07:39 PM
Backpedaling? Nope. I still say Halzle starts. If not UAB, very soon thereafter. He's simply the better QB.

Huh??????????/ he said Halze not Bomar, he is gone and its 2006 not 2005:P

dolemitesooner
8/3/2006, 07:40 PM
This according to Al.
Your wrong that not what he said. Don't putwords in his mouth. He said that paul was an equal but they went with upside and the 4 years Bomar had left

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 07:45 PM
Your wrong that not what he said. Don't putwords in his mouth. He said that paul was an equal but they went with upside and the 4 years Bomar had left

Did you listen to al on the animal. Last time I checked, my hearing was fine. According to al he did say that so who do ya believe. If anyone put words in stoops mouth then it would be al.
Nevertheless, PT was not given an equal chance last year. I know and understand why, yet so many people deny it. I played competitive sports for 14 years, and worked for two pro teams. I know what I saw but lets move on to a new fun year whaduyasay.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 07:48 PM
Your wrong that not what he said. Don't putwords in his mouth. He said that paul was an equal but they went with upside and the 4 years Bomar had leftHe also said they did not run plays that fit his game and that will not happen this time. Interesting indeed. People on the team were ****ed about Paul's diss and Long's obsession with playing Rhett regardless of how horrible he played. Not giving paul another shot was AS BIG of a mistake as the Mack Brown/Appleberry/int guy deal was. We lost two games because the QB system was jacked up. Who was the QB "guru" and OC again?

There is some serious joy on the team right now. People more willing to give up there *** for Paul than Rhett, I can promise you that. We might be better this year because of it.

Also, it's "you're" (I just hate to see that, do that at work and you'll get passed over for a raise or promotion).

westcoast_sooner
8/3/2006, 08:46 PM
Bomar sucked against Tulsa, he sucked against UCLA, and he sucked in Dallas. But he grew up and the Sooners damned near ran that table after the RRS.

OK, so he's gone and PT is named the starter. He is the only guy that has experience, so it makes sense to name him the starter. But it isn't as if Halzle hasn't had some experience, and the reason he lost his job when he was in High School was to make way for Casey Clausen.

I'm guessing that if PT doesn't perform in the first couple of games, that Halzle will make a start early in the season.

I've come to like PT, though, as he's my starting QB on NCAA 06 and I'm 28-3. :)

Blue
8/3/2006, 08:56 PM
Also, it's "you're" (I just hate to see that, do that at work and you'll get passed over for a raise or promotion).

And he's been wanting to get off that fryer, too. :D

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 11:25 PM
Only *******s who have no balls neg without leaving their name.

Blue
8/3/2006, 11:30 PM

Ante up for a sponsorship, big dog. Your wildest dreams will come true.

badger
8/3/2006, 11:38 PM
How experienced of a QB do you need to hand off to AD? ENA is quick and he's a team player, so here's hoping he plays both positions--- some trickery would be fun :)

Blue
8/3/2006, 11:42 PM
How experienced of a QB do you need to hand off to AD? ENA is quick and he's a team player, so here's hoping he plays both positions--- some trickery would be fun :)

Do you remember 80 people in the backfield when AD got the ball last year? I do.

We've got to establish some kind of passing threat.

stonecoldsoonerfan
8/4/2006, 05:19 AM
i think that with wilson calling the plays p.t. has a good chance to bring his best game. chuck long was a decent coach, but had a problem with making players fit into his system instead of patterning the system around his players. this will be an interesting season for sure.

olevetonahill
8/4/2006, 05:38 AM
i think that with wilson calling the plays p.t. has a good chance to bring his best game. chuck long was a decent coach, but had a problem with making players fit into his system instead of patterning the system around his players. this will be an interesting season for sure.
And I am ready for some OU football :D Win lose or draw Just give me the season ;)

Boffingham
8/4/2006, 05:56 AM
I bet PT's daddy is happy. Maybe he can remove his website now.

PDXsooner
8/4/2006, 10:47 AM
Bomar sucked against Tulsa, he sucked against UCLA, and he sucked in Dallas. But he grew up and the Sooners damned near ran that table after the RRS.

actually, he didn't suck against UCLA. 20-29 241 yards and no picks. it was the first game where he showed decent potential.

colleyvillesooner
8/4/2006, 10:58 AM

Pssst. Spek isn't real and it's not worth calling names over.

MiccoMacey
8/4/2006, 11:00 AM
Pssst. Spek isn't real and it's not worth calling names over.

Says the man who's spek reads "knows more about stuff than NickZepp". :D

Sooner in Tampa
8/4/2006, 11:02 AM
This could quite possibly be the most pompous post of the year.

Grimey
8/4/2006, 12:38 PM
Do you remember 80 people in the backfield when AD got the ball last year? I do.

We've got to establish some kind of passing threat.

I'm betting we'll see quite a bit more fake handoffs to AD, and Paul taking off running. At least until they respect his running ability.

RacerX
8/4/2006, 01:24 PM
Ante up for a sponsorship, big dog. Your wildest dreams will come true.

Ding, ding, ding!

Joe
8/4/2006, 02:09 PM
Why should you feel vindicated? Your whole basis for PT not getting a fair shot is racism. While Stoops maintains he didn't get a fair shot because of Rhet's 4 year "upside".

85Sooner
8/4/2006, 02:19 PM
Why should you feel vindicated? Your whole basis for PT not getting a fair shot is racism. While Stoops maintains he didn't get a fair shot because of Rhet's 4 year "upside".

I never said there was racism. Where do you come up with that. I do remember some folks talking about it and I do have inside connections which mentioned that some of the players felt it might have been a factor. But personally I never thought it was. OU has too much of a good history in that area for that to be true. I simply held the view that PT did not get a fair chance when others were saying that he did. Bomar was no better and finally started showing progress after several games. I think PT would have too. Especially not having to play with one eye on the bench. Yet I understood the decision due to the long term issues involved. the vindicated part is merely toung in cheek.

Joe
8/4/2006, 02:39 PM
OK, checking back on some of the threads last year, I'll admit I was wrong about it being a racist issue with you. Sorry for going off half-cocked :O

85Sooner
8/4/2006, 03:34 PM
OK, checking back on some of the threads last year, I'll admit I was wrong about it being a racist issue with you. Sorry for going off half-cocked :O

Thank-you.

sanantoniosooner
8/4/2006, 09:23 PM
Could we just quit dancing around the subject?

Bob hate people from Leander. Just say it.

Blue
8/5/2006, 12:29 AM

HeHateLe-ander.

85Sooner
8/5/2006, 08:23 AM

Was wonderin where you were?:)

FaninAma
8/5/2006, 09:30 AM
I agree with Dean that Hazle is the better QB but I disagree that he will start this year bar an injury to Thompson. Stoops has made his decision and counted to three. He's a stubborn man and no way in hell will he repeat last year.

For all of you who are saying Thompson wasn't given a fair shot last year let me ask you 2 questions.

1.What, in your opinion, would have constituted a fair shot? And be specific. Don't say "Well, more than 2 1/2 quarters." How many games did Thompson deserve to start to prove himself last year?

2.If Thompson's career has been mismanaged who's fault is that? And again, don't say Chuck Long. Last time I checked Bob Stoops' name had the title of "Head Coach" after it.

PT is the epitomy of a team player. I would want an army of men like PT to go into battle with, but I am dubious as to whether he is a game day type QB that can get this team to where it needs to be. All I can say is that AD better have his iron underwear on this year because he will have about 3 to 4 people keying on him on every play.