PDA

View Full Version : Paul Thompson is the Starter

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 01:18 PM
my dad just called to say that Al Eschbach said he has spoken with Bob Stoops and Paul Thompson will be the starting quarterback hands down. He approached Paul and asked him if he wanted the job, and Thompson accepted. this helps a little bit now that we've got a set-in-stone starter

Newbomb Turk
8/3/2006, 01:23 PM
just heard that too. Good to hear PT jumped at the chance.

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 01:27 PM
YEAH. So lets all let the kid have have a fighting chance. As everyone has mentioned he has not been working at QB for a while. Personally, I will give him til game three until I get critical.

Fraggle145
8/3/2006, 01:33 PM
you beat me too it... but we both beat Crimson Kid

Booner
8/3/2006, 01:37 PM
I think it would be a good idea to install some freeze option plays like Syracuse ran with D. McNabb. Heck even some wishbone mixed in would be nice and would keep opposing defenses on their toes (like Air Force runs).

Crimson Kid
8/3/2006, 01:38 PM
Afraid not, i posted at 1:25, you posted at 1:33. ;)

GottaHavePride
8/3/2006, 01:43 PM
This thread went up at 1:18, yours went up at 1:22. Of course, I'm just nit-picking while I wait for new rumors to come out. ;)

Mac94
8/3/2006, 01:46 PM
Paul is an athletic kid ... and along with Wilson you guys have coach Sumlin assisting in running the offense.

The last time Sumlin was running an offense was 2002 in College Station and he had a hot shot athletic freshman named Reggie. Ya'll remember how that turned out, right? When Sumlin took over A&M's offense a few games into the 2002 season the offense really took off (who ever would have figured the dfense would implode?). I think OU will give Paul a good offense to run.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 01:48 PM
So Dean and I were wrong I guess.

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 02:06 PM
Afraid not, i posted at 1:25, you posted at 1:33. ;)
get over it, i put it up at 1:18. i beat both of y'all. now take your bickering over who was second somewhere else:D

CU Sooner
8/3/2006, 02:09 PM
I think PT will be fine, especially without having to look over his shoulder waiting to be replaced. He really is in a situation where he can't lose and has a better chance at being a hero. With KW's offense he could have a good year. No matter who is at QB, as long as we run more than 8 different offensive plays we will win the first two and by Oregon PT will be in a groove. I still have my crimson colored glasses on and see Glendale in sight.

boomersooner28
8/3/2006, 02:10 PM
Atleast we have a leader...which may be the MOST important thing!

GO ENA!!!!!!

jbstrick
8/3/2006, 02:26 PM
The good thing about Paul. We KNOW he is a team player and puts the team above self.

Vegas Vic
8/3/2006, 02:27 PM
Thompson is going to surprise a lot of people this year.

A lot of people are fixated with his poor performance against TCU last year, but they are neglecting several key points. First, TCU was a hell of a lot better than anyone gave them credit for. Second, two OU offensive linemen quit the week before the game, leaving the line in disarray. Third, he had virtually no support from an inexperienced wide receiver corps. Those freshmen receivers were playing at a high level by the end of the year, but they were nowhere to be found in the first few games.

With a healthy AD and much improved receiving corps, Thompson should do very well in Kevin Wilson's spread offense. Of course, the O-line will be the determining factor. They have to step up, and the depth is razor thin now.

The Sooner defense will be one of the best in the land. They're not going to give up a lot of points.

Thompson doesn't have to be a world beater. He just has to manage the offense and be effective enough throwing the ball to keep the defenses off guard.

OU still has a shot to win the south. The games against Texas and Texas Tech are the only real trouble spots, even with Bomar's departure. Nine or ten wins are definitely a reasonable goal.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 02:31 PM
get over it, i put it up at 1:18. i beat both of y'all. now take your bickering over who was second somewhere else:DI beat you both sometime last evening. Just ask Dean.:D

OU_PhD
8/3/2006, 02:44 PM
I'm glad its PT.

I complained more about Chuck Long in that TCU game than I did PT. I think Wilson's offense will be MUCH MORE suited to PT and we CAN be successful. I don't have the high hopes I had a week ago but ALL IS NOT LOST!

Boomer.....
8/3/2006, 02:51 PM
It is amazing how big of a team player ENA is. He got the shaft multiple times, and did what he could to help. I'm very glad he is getting his turn at QB.

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 02:54 PM
I beat you both sometime last evening. Just ask Dean.:D
mine was official, your's was a guess:D

badger
8/3/2006, 02:58 PM
there should be more information soon, but here's what's up now:
http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_215150240.html

Mac94
8/3/2006, 03:08 PM
You know what would be funny ... first play against UAB bring in AD, Patrick, and Zaslaw and line up in the wishbone with Paul under center. Run some true, old school Sooner option right off the bat ... then go 5 wideouts on the next play.

John Kochtoston
8/3/2006, 03:15 PM
YEAH. So lets all let the kid have have a fighting chance. As everyone has mentioned he has not been working at QB for a while. Personally, I will give him til game three until I get critical.

With all this guy has been through, redshirting, losing the QB slot without, IMO, receiving a fair shot, moving to WR without a fuss, and then moving back to QB without complaint, we can fire out an 0-12 and I won't criticize PT.

Sco
8/3/2006, 03:15 PM
Funny how last season I was rooting for PT to take the spot.

Hey - we can still win. Now it'll just be a little more challenging. Should make the season a heck of a lot more fun to watch.

Soonerman08
8/3/2006, 04:33 PM
I just don't like the idea of putting Thompson as the starting quarterback.....I think they should put Halzle in there, get him experience, and we'd be better off next year. Don't get me wrong I like Thompson, but I am trying to think of the bigger picture. Next year we're back to rebuilding....when will this ever end?!

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 04:35 PM
I just don't like the idea of putting Thompson as the starting quarterback.....I think they should put Halzle in there, get him experience, and we'd be better off next year. Don't get me wrong I like Thompson, but I am trying to think of the bigger picture. Next year we're back to rebuilding....when will this ever end?!This year is last year's "next year." We must win now! We have AD/Rufus for THIS YEAR not next.

Great decision and a wise move by coach.

Boomer Sooner

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 04:35 PM
I just don't like the idea of putting Thompson as the starting quarterback.....I think they should put Halzle in there, get him experience, and we'd be better off next year. Don't get me wrong I like Thompson, but I am trying to think of the bigger picture. Next year we're back to rebuilding....when will this ever end?!

Next year your gonna have a new Qb either way. Boy, if i were a highly rated HS QB. I would be giving OU a serious look, even if I hadd already committed to another school.

Soonerman08
8/3/2006, 04:37 PM
This year is last year's "next year." We must win now! We have AD/Rufus for THIS YEAR not next.

Great decision and a wise move by coach.

Boomer Sooner

Next year we're ****ed yet again. Breaking in new quarterback.....again!

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 04:40 PM

I see your point, but my mind has been changed. ENA gives us the best option this year

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 04:43 PM
Next year we're ****ed yet again. Breaking in new quarterback.....again!So we sacrifice this season for next? When we have less talent next year? Bad choice.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/3/2006, 04:47 PM
So we sacrifice this season for next? When we have less talent next year? Bad choice.

Next year we probably have a more experienced team overall. I think it'll be tough to replace AD and Rufus though.

Soonerman08
8/3/2006, 04:51 PM
So we sacrifice this season for next? When we have less talent next year? Bad choice.

Who says we're sacrificing this season if we start Halzle? We judge this person before he even plays in a game. I sure hope I am proven wrong by Thompson but all I remember is....he didn't get the job done. Great receiver....just not a leader. He wasn't a leader last year, and I wonder how he made "so much more progress" considering he hasn't taken a snap at quarterback in over a year? I hope to god I am proven wrong. :(

MI Sooner
8/3/2006, 04:52 PM
I have yet to hear a convincing explanation of how the line/receivers/quarterback controversy was responsible for ENA's overthrow on the first pass of the year. Gawd that guy was open.

Worst.

Pass.

Evar.

That said, I have a lot of respect for ENA, and hope he isn't booed even if he plays terribly.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 04:54 PM
I have yet to hear a convincing explanation of how the line/receivers/quarterback controversy was responsible for ENA's overthrow on the first pass of the year. Gawd that guy was open.

Worst.

Pass.

Evar.

That said, I have a lot of respect for ENA, and hope he isn't booed even if he plays terribly.I think you cannot judge him by that game. Look it was his first game and the entire stadium wanted to see Bomar. He was nervous. rhett didn't look ANY better until he played several games.

Widescreen
8/3/2006, 04:56 PM
I'm hoping that ENA plays so well that we see a lot of Halzle in the 2nd half of games.

SoonerBacker
8/3/2006, 04:57 PM
Naw! Wait for the t.u. game for that move!!!!

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 05:00 PM
Naw! Wait for the t.u. game for that move!!!!Don't hold your breath. Stoops said at his press conference that "Thompson didn't get a fair shot last year."

HarrisTubbsFan
8/3/2006, 05:01 PM

Worst.

Pass.

Evar.

That said, I have a lot of respect for ENA, and hope he isn't booed even if he plays terribly.

I guess you don't remember any passes by Chris Simms against OU.

Pricetag
8/3/2006, 05:01 PM
There's a good chance we'll have a new QB next year no matter what happens. Halzle is a sophomore, same as Bomar was. He was not brought in to be the next big thing at OU.

sooneron
8/3/2006, 05:03 PM

Worst.

Pass.

Evar.

I guess you don't know much about percentage pass plays. I've heard numerous qb's mention that it's a tough pass to pull off, especially, the first play of the game.

This place stinks of noobs.

GottaHavePride
8/3/2006, 06:54 PM
I guess you don't know much about percentage pass plays. I've heard numerous qb's mention that it's a tough pass to pull off, especially, the first play of the game.

This place stinks of noobs.

Yes, filthy gelflings. I mean noobs.

The Ensuing Kickoff
8/3/2006, 07:26 PM
Guys, I feel about ENA about the same way I felt about Brandon Daniels. And after getting the shaft over and over, twas Brandon who I watched return a kickoff for a TD at Notre Dame. That kid gave it all to OU.

ENA seems to be turning out to be a similar situation.

ENA's got a freaking rocket for an arm - now if he can just get it to go where he wants more often, we could be pretty good.

AlbqSooner
8/3/2006, 08:08 PM
The silver lining to all of this is that SOME QB has a chance to etch his name in the OU history books as the guy who stepped up when called on and won.

Thompson has the first shot at it and that makes a lot of sense. The announcement did not say he is the starter. It said the job is his to lose.

Also, Stoops has agonized all off season that many of the players have a sense of entitlement. I suspect that the sense of entitlement has been replaced with a chip on the shoulder. "People think we are not going to be very good because of this adversity? Sit back and watch this." Could work out to be a very good season because of the advesity, not in spite of it. Sooner teams in the past have shown how that can work.

Egeo
8/3/2006, 08:29 PM
im just glad paul is getting the chance he deserves - although i wish it were on better terms

Widescreen
8/3/2006, 08:48 PM
Also, Stoops has agonized all off season that many of the players have a sense of entitlement. I suspect that the sense of entitlement has been replaced with a chip on the shoulder. "People think we are not going to be very good because of this adversity? Sit back and watch this." Could work out to be a very good season because of the advesity, not in spite of it. Sooner teams in the past have shown how that can work.
This is a good point, except that the last time we had this chip on our shoulders, the QB was a guy named Heupel. That's a major difference.

MiccoMacey
8/3/2006, 09:16 PM

Worst.

Pass.

Evar.

Glad to hear Jason White/Josh Heuple/Nate Hybl NEVER overthrew someone wide open. :rolleyes:

If one bad pass is your indication of failure or success, you'll be disappointed for the rest of your life with every Sooner QB.

He made a bad pass. So did Bomar in that game.

Sonner magic923
8/3/2006, 09:40 PM
I dont rember that pass being that bad as i remember it was like the first play of the freaking season so ya hes gonna be a little pumped up and anxious wouldnt you?

Sooner-N-KS
8/3/2006, 09:47 PM
I dont rember that pass being that bad as i remember it was like the first play of the freaking season so ya hes gonna be a little pumped up and anxious wouldnt you?

Travis Wilson (I think it was him anyway) was about 30 yards down the west sideline with the nearest defender about 10 yards away. PT overthrew by about 10 yards. That was 7 early points lost, including the momentem it would have given us. PT would have been QB all year. Bomar would still be kicked off the team, but we'd all be saying, "Oh well."

goingoneight
8/3/2006, 10:33 PM
Paul Thompson is incredibly strong and a very flashy runner. I hate to keep bringing up the comparison since he is not Vince Young... but quality repetition and the sense of job security really helps a QB's passing game.

What I really liked was the press conference today. Stoops said he asked ENA if "he wanted the job." To add, he told ENA to sleep on it, talk with his family, make the decision that best suits HIM, not OU. And ENA has been nothing but a team player. He is dependable and never unwilling to sacrifice himself for others. Bob ensured me that PT is a blessing in disguise and that he is a group leader which is something people doubted all along with Bomar.