PDA

View Full Version : Joe C., Let's permanantly correct the situation

OklaUalum
8/3/2006, 10:06 AM
Like all Sooner Fans, I'm extremely upset about this turn of events with over zealous boosters who've come in and messed up yet another promising football season. Where does it stop? And how can it be at least abatted in the future?

It certainly looks like the NCAA will step in and impose sanctions on OU this time around. And probably,rightly so, for lack of institutional control. I actually welcome it. Please read on. Because, I think that OU should use this as a stepping stone, and a tool, to cease this kind of thing from ever happening again.

First, let us welcome sanctions of no-bowl games this seaon. Even IF the OU football team didn't play for the National Championship, let's say we'd at least be playing in a BCS game. Those pay-outs are AT LEAST a million dollars to the university playing in that game.

Next, here's the difficult part. OU has always been a program that in the past has been at the forefront of running an athletic department. Let's do something slightly really revolutionary here. Let's haul the guilty boosters into court. Yep, lets bring a civil suit for say a million bucks for loss of revenue. Yes, the damages may or may not be a million, but let's let the jury decide what damages they are. It may never reach the damages phase. But, hauling an over eager booster into court and having to pay legal bills, and maybe even real damages, probably, and might just in the future send a serious message to the boosters to not do this in the future. I think the University of Oklahoma has to look beyond the concern of irritating or shuning alums, supporters and boosters. This activity of overzelous boosters hurts all of us. I'm a booster, alum and a fan. I'm hurt. The Unversity is hurt -the athletic department will loose TV and ticket revenue which hurts recruitment and eventually hurts scholarship and facuility revenue.

We've got to hit the problem at the source, folks. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If the boosters don't open the wallets to start with, then this problem is solved for the future, right?

* I also place this note - I am an OU Alum, and and OU A.D. supporter/donner.

mdklatt
8/3/2006, 10:10 AM
First, let us welcome sanctions of no-bowl games this seaon. Even IF the OU football team didn't play for the National Championship, let's say we'd at least be playing in a BCS game. Those pay-outs are AT LEAST a million dollars to the university playing in that game.

Next, here's the difficult part. OU has always been a program that in the past has been at the forefront of running an athletic department. Let's do something slightly really revolutionary here. Let's haul the guilty boosters into court. Yep, lets bring a civil suit for say a million bucks for loss of revenue.

Interesting idea.

JohnnyMack
8/3/2006, 10:14 AM
My cinder block idea was so much better than this one.

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 10:26 AM
My cinder block idea was so much better than this one.I agree. :D

OklahomaTuba
8/3/2006, 10:36 AM
Lets do both.

:)

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 10:39 AM
And IF the NCAA imposes sanction...I may ****ing explode.

Fraggle145
8/3/2006, 11:20 AM

Next, here's the difficult part. OU has always been a program that in the past has been at the forefront of running an athletic department. Let's do something slightly really revolutionary here. Let's haul the guilty boosters into court. Yep, lets bring a civil suit for say a million bucks for loss of revenue.

Just heard you on the Animal.... sound like a good plan. not sure if it would work or not but it is interesting.

OklaUalum
8/3/2006, 11:38 AM
Just heard you on the Animal.... sound like a good plan. not sure if it would work or not but it is interesting.

-thanks for listening. I thought the idea was good enough to share on air. I actually think I'm going to do 2 things w/this idea. One, Joe C. is a member of my church, andwhen I see him, I'm going to mention it to him. Two, I'm going to write a letter to the AD and propose it. Who knows, it probably won't go very far, but.....

OklaUalum
8/3/2006, 11:39 AM

-thanks for listening. I thought the idea was good enough to share on air. I actually think I'm going to do 2 things w/this idea. One, Joe C. is a member of my church, andwhen I see him, I'm going to mention it to him. Two, I'm going to write a letter to the AD and propose it. Who knows, it probably won't go very far, but.....OU has attorneys, and....

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 11:41 AM
Echo...

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 11:44 AM
i don't see any reason why there should be sanctions against the university. they got rid of the problem. that should be punishment enough. if they're going to lay down sanctions anyway, we might as well have kept "The Idiot."

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 12:04 PM
i don't see any reason why there should be sanctions against the university. they got rid of the problem. that should be punishment enough. if they're going to lay down sanctions anyway, we might as well have kept "The Idiot."

You are the man

I Bury Paul
8/3/2006, 12:07 PM
While I agree suing the source of this problem would be an excellant way to stop their interference, I can't see the University taking this path. The burnt orange blood in my veins has enjoyed this escapade, but I'm not naive enough to think this doesn't happen everywhere.

This would be a very expensive and public suit. Deposition, after deposition, after deposition would be made public. Discovery information would be made public. And somewhere along the way the defendants would point a finger at someone employed at the University, whether true or not, to shed the liability and show that the University was just as much responsible for their own loss as the defendant. Then the NCAA has fuel to damage the University even more. Better to cut your losses and move on.

But I agree, something has to be done to stop this behavior.

SeattleOUstudent
8/3/2006, 12:09 PM
pretty sure our legal minds of the board can weigh in on this. Bringing suit against the donor doesnt sound like it will hold ANY water...then again, Im not in law.

poke4christ
8/3/2006, 12:09 PM
Wow, very good post and a great Idea. This problem isn't really OU's fault, but they will be the ones that pay for it. This would be a revolutionary case if it happened. Boosters would think twice before offering money to recruits.

Zach

Edit: Just another note to add. Every College in the nation (OSU and Texas included) would be thanking OU if they went through with an action like this.

mdklatt
8/3/2006, 12:15 PM
if they're going to lay down sanctions anyway, we
might as well have kept "The Idiot."

Oh hell no. Twice a dumbass, always a dumbass.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/3/2006, 12:16 PM
I'm thinking the shock of losing a 5-star starting QB, with 3 years of eligibility left might scare the bejesus out of current players and recruits for the next 3 or 4 yrs. Nothing long range, but enough to last a while. The whorn commenting in post #13 DOES have an important point.

TheGodfather889
8/3/2006, 12:28 PM
Probation can kill a program. I've been through it once and I don't want to do it again.

musikology
8/3/2006, 12:39 PM
Well, the Bomar bomb dropped 24 hours ago and I've been waiting to assess the damages. Should they have gotten the boot? Yes. Should they be kicked out of school? No. But does anyone really expect them to hang around after this incident. This is apples and oranges compared to the Dvorcek sabbatical. Do I think culpability should be assigned to this? Yes. But that's easier said than done. We know in the next few days we will get a statment from Bomar and/or Quinn from a family spokeperson stating how sorry they are and how they let their team down. So what? The Big Red issue is a little more tricky. If they were able to tap dance their way out of the AD situation, (Which by the way, still smells fishy to me), then they'll get out of this. Mcrae and Donohue may receive their fair share of venom and vitriol, but their not attached to the dealership anymore. No lawyer would touch this case because trying to prove a pre-season prediction that OU would make the BCS won't stand up. And how do you crack down on over-zealous boosters when these kids eyes light up with $$, even if it is just $18K a year. Unfortunatley, all the talks about integrity and using better judgement won't work unless you have a kid that has a basic understanding of moral ethics, or just plain right or wrong. That's tough to do with this prima donna college athletes. I assure you that these kickbacks have happened more times than we want to admit over the last 20 years since Barrygate. It's just we don't want to admit to ourselves that this happens at our alma mater or our favorite school. We like to eat the hot dog, we just don't want to see how it's made.

Go Sooners. Don't play like a champion today, play like the champions you are.

OklaUalum
8/3/2006, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking the shock of losing a 5-star starting QB, with 3 years of eligibility left might scare the bejesus out of current players and recruits for the next 3 or 4 yrs. Nothing long range, but enough to last a while. The whorn commenting in post #13 DOES have an important point.

I'm thinking BEYOND 3 or 4 years. This crap seems to happen every 10 years or so.

I frankly don't feel that there is ANY university offical at OU complicit, and if so, take them down in the law suit, too. See my original post. We are trying to correct the problem for the future. If there are univeristy officals coloring outside the lines, take them down, too, because they are certainly doing it outside of the AD's guidelines, too!

OklaUalum
8/3/2006, 12:44 PM
Musik,

I agree. You only name the figure of a million in the damages suit. Frankly, that's the starting point. The jury gets to decide. You mention "no lawyer". I assure you, OU has lawyers. They don't have to go out of the house to get counsel to file the action.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/3/2006, 12:52 PM
i say we fire stoops and hire mike price...and then franchione. we then put a trunk on the horse pigs and watch beano squirm...

musikology
8/3/2006, 12:54 PM
Okla, I agree that OU has a bevy of lawyers at their disposal. Good ones too, but legally, I still think it's the proverbial slippery slope.

Matthew
8/3/2006, 12:55 PM

When an athletic department is already under sanctions, the NCAA is far less inclined to allow the department to police itself. The thing that makes this news so scary, along with the stunning amount of money involved, is that it comes on the heels of the basketball and gymnastics transgressions just recently handed down.

The fact that the department investigated AD's car deal just months ago and claimed to find no other irregularities involving OU athletes connected to the dealership is disconcerting to say the least. Did the department find this info in the AD investigation and just decide to try and sit on it? What prompted them to make this announcement and this decision 4 months after their BRSI investigation in April? We can be assured that the NCAA will take a long look into what has gone down and the whole deal isn't over yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some serious paper shredding going on over the past 24 hours.

OklaUalum
8/3/2006, 01:01 PM
you know, I agree, it's a bit of a bitter pill. However, it's all pretty tough and unpalitable. And really, what I'm proposing is curing it for the future. Again, if over zealous boosters see that they are going to be held accountable and personally and financially accountable for the ramifcations of their irresponsibility toward college sporting athletes,then maybe this won't be as likely to happen in the future.

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 01:05 PM
When an athletic department is already under sanctions, the NCAA is far less inclined to allow the department to police itself. The thing that makes this news so scary, along with the stunning amount of money involved, is that it comes on the heels of the basketball and gymnastics transgressions just recently handed down.

The fact that the department investigated AD's car deal just months ago and claimed to find no other irregularities involving OU athletes connected to the dealership is disconcerting to say the least. Did the department find this info in the AD investigation and just decide to try and sit on it? What prompted them to make this announcement and this decision 4 months after their BRSI investigation in April? We can be assured that the NCAA will take a long look into what has gone down and the whole deal isn't over yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some serious paper shredding going on over the past 24 hours.
i don't care when they found out about it. if they didn't do anything about this immediately, it doesn't necessarily mean they were sitting on it. sometimes you have to sit back and think about the best decision. you have to analyze the situation and you can't make a knee-jerk reaction. what is important is that they got this taken care of before the start of the season. had they waited unitl some point in the season to handle it, it would look a little shady. it doesn't matter if they found out in january or if they found out last week. no damage was done during that time span. and if anybody knew about this beforehand, then why does it even make logical sense to some people that stoops would wait until the day before fall training to boot the players??? the timing wasn't exactly favorable for the football team.

Oldnslo
8/3/2006, 01:12 PM
I am a lawyer, but that doesn't mean I know anything about how the NCAA works.

I'm having a hard time seeing the University carrying an action against BRSI. After all, they can simply say, "Wait a minute! We overpaid our staff?! Darn our poor oversight! We should sue the kids to get our money back! We've been defrauded!" Well, maybe without so many exclamation points.

just not feeling it.

Partial Qualifier
8/3/2006, 01:34 PM
I am an OU Alum, and and OU A.D. supporter/donner.

No ****? I'm a supporter/blitzen! ;)

I agree, not feeling it