PDA

View Full Version : What might the NCAA do here? We Ags have been here before.

Mac94
8/3/2006, 09:25 AM
Reading the schetchy details here reminds me of another time with my other team. December 1992 ... my Aggies were 12-0 and headed to the Cotton Bowl when a shocking story broke about a group of Aggie players getting paid for work not done by Aggie alum and Booster Warren Gilbert. A group of 7 or 8 kids were invovled, each netting around $2,000 for work not done, the most famous of which was RB Greg Hill but also included other starters on both sides of the ball.

All the kids were suspended by the staff for the Cotton Bowl, a game in which a distracted Aggie team would get physically manhandled 28-3 by a Jerome Bettis led Notre Dame squad. Many of these kids were still suspended early into the 1993 season ... including an ill fated trip to Norman in our second game of the season.

Of course, the NCAA stepped in and began their own investigation. Violations did occur, but the NCAA found no fault within the coaching staff or athletic department itself. But, still, they did impose penalties.

Anyone remember the riviting 1994 Oklahoma - A&M game at Kyle Field? Few do, because we were banned from TV that season as well as from any post season bowl. In addition we were under probation for 5 years. We did not, though, suffer any loss of scholarships or any other recruiting restrictions.

Of course, to be fair, Oklahoma is a much more storied program than A&M ... and that matters ALOT to the NCAA. But, anyone hear anything on what may come of this NCAA wise, esp in light of the basketball issues?

mrowl
8/3/2006, 09:28 AM
nothing, if its found that the coaches or officials at OU were not involved.