PDA

View Full Version : WHat Happens IF......

FaninAma
8/3/2006, 08:26 AM
Bomar goes to one of the other D-1 programs that are recruiting him and this happens? Does it get swept under the rug? Only an insanely naive person would deny this crap happens almost everywhere but you never see stars at other programs getting booted off the team for booster payments(see Ohio State and USC). Why is that?

My theory is that at most places it is so wide spread that they can't boot anybody off or else a lot of finger pointing and recriminations would result in major NCAA penalties.

One other thing....if USC skated on all of the crap that has been brought to light over there then how in the world can the NCAA ever punish anybody for player inducements again? Oh yeah.....they're probaly the biggest hypocritical organization in existence today. Silly me.

Anybody else(beside Texas fans) believe that there's no shenanigans being perpetrated by the big fat-cat Horn boosters?

OULenexaman
8/3/2006, 08:38 AM
so the guy had a part time job at $69.23 an hour...what's the big deal?? :pop:

Landthief 1972
8/3/2006, 08:40 AM
If Bomar goes to another Div. I school, the only thing he's doing for the next two years is riding pine, per NCAA rules - one year for transfer, one year for probation for breaking NCAA rules, if what I heard is true. The only way he's playing this year is in the NAIA. YOU'RE THE BMOC, RHETT! WAY TO GO!

stoopified
8/3/2006, 09:30 AM
so the guy had a part time job at $69.23 an hour...what's the big deal?? :pop:My wife and I are moving to Norman anyhow and now I gotta lead on a part-time job.I actually hear they have two openings.

Tear Down This Wall
8/3/2006, 09:31 AM
He broke NCAA rules, so he's currently ineligibile at all NCAA levels. A school would have to petition to get him a waiver. Not likely. Enjoy your NAIA career, Rhett.

GDC
8/3/2006, 09:34 AM
Anybody else(beside Texas fans) believe that there's no shenanigans being perpetrated by the big fat-cat Horn boosters?

The escalades, plasma tvs, jewelry, and dope have to be paid for by somebody.:texan:

homerSimpsonsBrain
8/3/2006, 10:06 AM
I wonder if the magnitude of just what that $18K has cost Bomar has sunk into his thick head. He probably had a decent chance to play in the NFL and make millions.

King Crimson
8/3/2006, 10:38 AM

i'm not saying it's true; nor can i confirm any of it.....but you are starting to see references to Barnes and money changing hands on quite a few conference boards here and there. it's just rumors.....but it's notable that in the last year these things have started to crop up in unrelated places.

if you talk to Texas fans, it was *the rest* of the SWC that was cheating to keep up with UT. :rolleyes:

FaninAma
8/3/2006, 10:44 AM
In my first post I didn't make the premise of my question clear. I should have asked if Bomar had signed with another program coming out of highschool and the same scenario had played out at the other university would the other program had cut him loose like Stoops did?

Plano UT
8/3/2006, 10:51 AM
Almost ever major program would have dropped him just as fast. Once it is coming out, the only chance the school has to avoid major NCAA punishment is to cut the cancer out.

Don't give Stoops credit for "Taking the high road that other coaches wouldn't do". He did the right thing as almost every other coach would have done.

And yes this happens at every school from booster to agents to financial advisors that want the kid to work with them once they are out of school.

soonerlaw
8/3/2006, 11:07 AM
So I guess you guys don't think that Rhett will stick around and finish his degree, I mean he didn't get kicked out of school, did he?:D

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 11:08 AM
I agree with a whorn for once. This does happen at every school and we would be naive to think otherwise, but as you guys say its simply swept under the rug.

But where I disagree with the horn is where he said that every D1 coach would have done the same.....O really ? Pete Carroll ring a bell, dude ?

GrapevineSooner
8/3/2006, 11:17 AM
I think other schools would have notified the NCAA then asked 'what can be done to avoid suspending the kid for a substantial length of time?'

Obviously, Stoops doesn't play by those rules.

RiddlerOK
8/3/2006, 11:23 AM
So I guess you guys don't think that Rhett will stick around and finish his degree, I mean he didn't get kicked out of school, did he?:D

You bring up a good point. I'm somewhat interested to see if he will stick it out at OU for the rest of this year or do an immediate transfer to an NAIA school. It would also be an interesting thought as to whether he has fielded any calls from agents since his dismissal. Does the "3-years removed from High School" rule apply to his eligibility?

Don't get me wrong, he's definitely not considered ready for the NFL in most folks' opinion however, that doesn't mean the slime won't come creeping out from under the nearest rock.

OklaUalum
8/3/2006, 11:24 AM
Bomar CAN'T go to another program D1 or otherwise. It's my understanding that NCAA rules prohibit him from playing at any other instution, including as low as a D3 program ever again. He's done.

re to Rhett getting kicked out of school, I would think he is still able to continue his education at OU. The issue is, he has no scholarship.

caphorns
8/3/2006, 11:37 AM
Bomar CAN'T go to another program D1 or otherwise. It's my understanding that NCAA rules prohibit him from playing at any other instution, including as low as a D3 program ever again. He's done.

re to Rhett getting kicked out of school, I would think he is still able to continue his education at OU. The issue is, he has no scholarship.

I thought the NCAA was still investigating? Until they make something official, I'm not sure Bomar's tied up. What I had understood about yesterday is that it was action being taken by OU unilaterally.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 11:39 AM
I think the NCAA will say that kicking the idiot off the team and Quinn will be good enough

canesdominate
8/3/2006, 11:41 AM
At Miami we make our players work at least 10 hours to get a 40 hour paycheck. However, half of this time can be spent on the gun range.

Canes all the way. Why not, with FAU and FIU on the schedule.

redbeerman
8/3/2006, 12:05 PM
Only an insanely naive person would deny this crap happens almost everywhere

I bet you would not have said that last week.

It goes on other places but to say almost everywhere is really extreme. $18,000

It happened at OU so it must be happening everywehre.

redbeerman
8/3/2006, 12:08 PM
I think the NCAA will say that kicking the idiot off the team and Quinn will be good enough

You are kidding right.

Hey kid, you can take the money but if anyone finds out you are gone.

The NCAA is coming and they will not be happy.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/3/2006, 12:21 PM
Bomar goes to one of the other D-1 programs that are recruiting him and this happens? Does it get swept under the rug? Only an insanely naive person would deny this crap happens almost everywhere but you never see stars at other programs getting booted off the team for booster payments(see Ohio State and USC). Why is that?

My theory is that at most places it is so wide spread that they can't boot anybody off or else a lot of finger pointing and recriminations would result in major NCAA penalties.

One other thing....if USC skated on all of the crap that has been brought to light over there then how in the world can the NCAA ever punish anybody for player inducements again? Oh yeah.....they're probaly the biggest hypocritical organization in existence today. Silly me.

Anybody else(beside Texas fans) believe that there's no shenanigans being perpetrated by the big fat-cat Horn boosters?Wonderful post, an all-time classic!

Plano UT
8/3/2006, 01:15 PM
Boomer,

You are forgetting about the part that said "once it is out". Once it gets to the point that the information/speculation is at the level that this situation is, the team/coach/school has three options:

1. Suspend said player until an internal investigation/NCAA investigation is done (and nobody wants the NCAA involved to catch the other players that are getting paid smaller figures that are easier to hide).

2. Blow it off like SMU did and challenge the NCAA of hope they don't investigate (bad idea).

3. Kick player off of team.

The key to this situation is how far out in the open it was and the fact that this is clear black/white and not gray (like the Reggie Bush home, Matt Leinert/Jarrett rent agreement and AP's car loan).

Dio
8/3/2006, 02:16 PM
At Miami we make our players work at least 10 hours to get a 40 hour paycheck. However, half of this time can be spent on the gun range.

Canes all the way. Why not, with FAU and FIU on the schedule.

Best

Cane Fan

EVAR

Dio
8/3/2006, 02:23 PM
Boomer,

You are forgetting about the part that said "once it is out". Once it gets to the point that the information/speculation is at the level that this situation is, the team/coach/school has three options:

1. Suspend said player until an internal investigation/NCAA investigation is done (and nobody wants the NCAA involved to catch the other players that are getting paid smaller figures that are easier to hide).

2. Blow it off like SMU did and challenge the NCAA of hope they don't investigate (bad idea).

3. Kick player off of team.

The key to this situation is how far out in the open it was and the fact that this is clear black/white and not gray (like the Reggie Bush home, Matt Leinert/Jarrett rent agreement and AP's car loan).

And what you are forgetting is that the only reason this is out in the open is because our University brought it out into the open. We discovered the problem, investigated it, and took drastic steps to remedy it. Maybe your university needs to start making sure your players can score higher than 6 out of 50 on any intelligence test they might have to take to get a j-o-b job!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/3/2006, 02:37 PM
OH MY GOD! nobody gets kicked off of teams for improper benefits.

http://www.fantasycriminal.com/crimes.php?Crimes=Improper%20Benefits

Uncle Russ
8/3/2006, 02:45 PM
OklaUalum hit it on the head...how many kids can continue in school without a scholarship.

What needs to happen is for both Bomar and Quinn to go to the same NAIA school that Ramonce Taylor is attending. Bomar and Taylor doing the zone read over Quinn. Has possibilities.

Sco
8/3/2006, 03:24 PM
so the guy had a part time job at $69.23 an hour...what's the big deal?? :pop:

Um... don't you mean his wage was $3,600 an hour?

Wouldn't it be weird if he was picked up by a team we later played? Then we could punish him more for his idiocy. I'd make T-shirts to sell.

Scott D
8/3/2006, 03:32 PM
I'm thinking this falls in the Brent Schaefer/Adrian McPherson category.

GottaHavePride
8/3/2006, 06:41 PM
Best

Cane Fan

EVAR

I concur.

Big John
8/3/2006, 07:16 PM
You are kidding right.

Hey kid, you can take the money but if anyone finds out you are gone.

The NCAA is coming and they will not be happy.
Are you saying that is what OU did, so now the NCAA will be displeased with OU's actions?