PDA

View Full Version : Bomar Should Have Stuck This Out

SoonerShark
8/3/2006, 04:40 AM
Thank God his transgressions were less chilling than having a photograph of another two seasons on campus Sooner quarterback on the cover of Sports Illustrated being carted off for selling cocaine.

Rightfully, a twenty year old drinking beer should have been no more of a news story than my minor in possession of beer "conviction" when I was a 16-year old guzzler in high school caught in conjunction with my best friend. The municipal court docket in the local newspaper actually called my legal faux pas "Possession," not "Possession of Beer." I was the grandson of a prominent small town doctor for whom the football field was named. My partner in crime was the son of a local millionaire civic leader. No big deal was made of our transgression though we were similarly situated to Bomar in our community.

Think about this: Other athletes nationally were allowed to pay back the booster overpayment and miss a couple of games. Bomar at least properly paid his taxes, which is why he was nabbed. Big Red's previous management should have paid them under the table if they were truly trying to pull something off. Issuing W-2s is not the standard scofflaw tactic. Personally, if I were Bomar, I would not have gotten on the plane last night and flown away. I would have fought it, citing to the aforementioned facts. The local and national press trying to fill and time and space and OU fans and foes in a feeding frenzy is no reason to leave. I would have tucked the ball and gone for the down marker rather than tucked tail and left town. You look less guilty that way.

To quote a prominent South Park citizen, "Screw you guys, I'm sticking around."

SoonerInFla
8/3/2006, 04:59 AM
I was under the impression Bob Stoops was running the show and he told Mr. Bomar he was no longer part of it.

redbeerman
8/3/2006, 05:52 AM
Yea, $18,000 is no big deal.

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 05:52 AM
I was under the impression Bob Stoops was running the show and he told Mr. Bomar he was no longer part of it.Yeah, I don't think Rhett had much of a choice.

Way to throw it all away young man. THANKS

SoonerShark
8/3/2006, 08:10 AM
Other players for other teams have been allowed to repay boosters and got off with a suspension, haven't they?

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 08:22 AM
Other players for other teams have been allowed to repay boosters and got off with a suspension, haven't they?Yes...Troy Smith from theOSU got suspended and had to pay back the money...He is now one of the favorites to win the heisman this year.

:twinkies:

stoopified
8/3/2006, 08:25 AM
I was under the impression Bob Stoops was running the show and he told Mr. Bomar he was no longer part of it.Bingo!

Dio
8/3/2006, 08:32 AM
A) The Idiot was picking up his girlfriend at the airport, not catching a flight

B) Stoops kicked him off the team, The Idiot didn't quit.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/3/2006, 08:38 AM
This isn't any "other team" this is OU, and as we all know OU = microscope for ncaa

TXBOOMER
8/3/2006, 08:40 AM
A) The Idiot was picking up his girlfriend at the airport, not catching a flight

B) Stoops kicked him off the team, The Idiot didn't quit.

Well Said

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 08:44 AM
This isn't any "other team" this is OU, and as we all know OU = microscope for ncaaTrue dat

Tear Down This Wall
8/3/2006, 08:57 AM
Look, I've got a law degree and could split the hairs legally on this a million ways, but that's not the point. The overall point here should be clear: the quarterback is the leader of the team. That means on the field and off the field.

The current situation aside, Bomar had already been busted publicly for things Heupel, Hybl, and White weren't. If you're a walk-on, squad team goof-off, drinking in public is one thing. When you're the highly-touted, much anticipated quarterback of the future, and one of the current "faces" of the program, it's another thing.

Whether it's fair or not, the starting quarterback at schools like OU, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. are going to get more scrutiny. Bomar had already drawn negative attention to himself and the program on and off the field.

Stoops did the right thing by ending the deal. Allowing Bomar to start legally splitting hairs over the whole affair would have been more bad publicity for the whole program.

Thank you, Bob, for ending it. Good luck Brett and J.D. at whatever NAIA school will take you since you are both ineligible at all NCAA levels now. Maybe you can try NW Oklahoma State. They're a pretty decent NAIA power.

cowboys70
8/3/2006, 09:03 AM
If this was Bomar (or Quinn's) first time getting in trouble and the violation wasn't so egregious ($500 like Troy Smith instead of $18,000) maybe the school would have taken a different approach. But here, they really had no choice.

XingTheRubicon
8/3/2006, 09:15 AM
If this was Bomar (or Quinn's) first time getting in trouble and the violation wasn't so egregious ($500 like Troy Smith instead of $18,000) maybe the school would have taken a different approach. But here, they really had no choice.

Texas got a pretty stiff probation for not much more than a player getting cowboy boots. Taking illegal money is taking illegal money.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/3/2006, 09:21 AM
You can't "stick it out" after permenantly being dismissed from the team.

The_Red_Patriot
8/3/2006, 09:25 AM
This isn't any "other team" this is OU, and as we all know OU = microscope for ncaa

so so true

soonerhubs
8/3/2006, 09:32 AM
Who is this Rhett you folks speak of? :D

mdklatt
8/3/2006, 09:36 AM
Rightfully, a twenty year old drinking beer should have been no more of a news story than my minor in possession of beer "conviction" when I was a 16-year old guzzler in high school caught in conjunction with my best friend. The municipal court docket in the local newspaper actually called my legal faux pas "Possession," not "Possession of Beer." I was the grandson of a prominent small town doctor for whom the football field was named. My partner in crime was the son of a local millionaire civic leader. No big deal was made of our transgression though we were similarly situated to Bomar in our community.

Did you guzzle beer in very public place where everybody knew who you were and knew you were underage? Did you continue to guzzle beer after being asked not to by the police? That incident wasn't about drinking beer, it was about being a dumbass. As soon as that happened I had a feeling we had another Brent Rawls on our hands.

This latest incident isn't about the money, it's about being a dumbass. Even if the NCAA said he could stay on the team I wouldn't want him back.

CatBallOU
8/3/2006, 09:38 AM
If Big Red supplied OU coaches/players with cars to drive without compensation, along with the fact that AD drove a car off the lot without a loan/payment, this story probably doesn't end for OU with Bomar being kicked off the team for not putting in his time at the dealership.

Titan_Fireman
8/3/2006, 09:48 AM
Besides, why WOULD he leave town?

There's TONS of opportunity to make $18,000 a year in Norman. And still use that golden arm...

To flip a hamburger.

What a schmuck.

Nice move, gimp.

soonerhubs
8/3/2006, 09:54 AM
If Big Red supplied OU coaches/players with cars to drive without compensation, along with the fact that AD drove a car off the lot without a loan/payment, this story probably doesn't end for OU with Bomar being kicked off the team for not putting in his time at the dealership.
Actually I don't think they'll find much more to it than that.

Call me an optimist.

Hamhock
8/3/2006, 09:55 AM
Rightfully, a twenty year old drinking beer should have been no more of a news story than my minor in possession of beer "conviction" when I was a 16-year old guzzler in high school caught in conjunction with my best friend.

i disagree. he willingly accepted the extra scrutiny when he took the job. if he wanted to blend in to society and get away with things that the average kid gets away with, then he shouldn't have accepted the position of leader of the premier program in the country.

he was the big fish in the big pond. he knew it. i guarantee that stoops and heupel personally talked to him about this stuff. he threw it away.

Hamhock
8/3/2006, 09:58 AM

careful. ou coaches most definitely are supplied with cars to drive without compensation. just like every program in the country. there is nothing wrong with that. it's called advertising. coaches DO get paid for football. at one time, stoops' car was running a dealer tag.

CatBallOU
8/3/2006, 10:12 AM
The irony is, when you consider the rental use of the cars, the insurance, tags, repairs, etc., it was more of an economic benefit to the coaches driving the dealer's cars than Bomar received on $18,000 after tax. At least, he reported it.

GottaHavePride
8/3/2006, 10:32 AM
Yes, but an NCAA athlete is not allowed to make money off their football status. Coaches are allowed to make money. Big difference.

dsc29a
8/3/2006, 10:46 AM
All the talk about $18,000.00 may not be correct. The amount of money he made was not the central reason why he got in trouble. What got him in trouble was the money he received while he was not at work. Supposedly we are talking only a few hundred dollars, maybe around $600.00. He was supposedly clocked in at work while he was actually at practice. Rules are rules and he broke them, but you have to give credit to OU for not doing what other Universities would do, and let them pay it back with only a few games suspensions.

Hamhock
8/3/2006, 10:46 AM
The irony is, when you consider the rental use of the cars, the insurance, tags, repairs, etc., it was more of an economic benefit to the coaches driving the dealer's cars than Bomar received on $18,000 after tax. At least, he reported it.

are you insinuating that the coaches don't report it?

If so, you are an ignorant tard.

If not, what is the purpose of your posts?

boomersoonerdude
8/3/2006, 10:57 AM
One word sum it all up "IDIOT"

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 11:03 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about....Did some player get in trouble?

;)

soonerlaw
8/3/2006, 11:11 AM
Along the lines of Idiot.. I wonder who Bomar's accountant was. Surely Bomar did not fill out his own tax returns, I mean, he was too busy working at BRSI.

douxpaysan
8/3/2006, 11:49 AM
Yes, but an NCAA athlete is not allowed to make money off their football status. Coaches are allowed to make money. Big difference.
This is the problem...Universities nationwide rake in millions of dollars in revenue, gather public relations goldmines and smugly extort all these ill-gotten gains from the athletes who must live by these spartan rules. Until the system is changed we are bound to run into these problems. Having said that, Bomar and Quinn both knew what was right and what was wrong. They chose the temptingly easy path and unfortunately not only they but everyone else will pay for it. Life is a ****sandwich...eat it or starve.

soonersam
8/3/2006, 11:55 AM
Hey Bomar,,, the 20,000,000 dollar nfl signing bonus called and it wants its 18,000 back.....

IDIOT!!!

zeke
8/3/2006, 12:14 PM
Did you guzzle beer in very public place where everybody knew who you were and knew you were underage? Did you continue to guzzle beer after being asked not to by the police? That incident wasn't about drinking beer, it was about being a dumbass. As soon as that happened I had a feeling we had another Brent Rawls on our hands.

This latest incident isn't about the money, it's about being a dumbass. Even if the NCAA said he could stay on the team I wouldn't want him back.

well said!

Dio
8/3/2006, 12:28 PM

YMSSRA...