PDA

View Full Version : Halzle. Book it.

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 02:08 AM
He'll be the starter. He'll do great. Book it.

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 05:53 AM
Is this more brasky inside info ???

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 06:46 AM
Indeed it is Carolina. You heard it here first.

Stay Tuned.

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 06:50 AM
Indeed it is Carolina. You heard it here first.

Stay Tuned.This is deja vu all over again.

First the inside info on the BB HC search and now this.

We are damn lucky to have Brasky sliding us inside info :D

:pop:

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 06:54 AM
This is deja vu all over again.

First the inside info on the BB HC search and now this.

We are damn lucky to have Brasky sliding us inside info :D

Damn Lucky is right. Y'all should be paying me for the work I do for this site.

More developments to develop.

Stay Tuned.

Blues1
8/3/2006, 07:49 AM
IF Halzle is the Starter ...??? - Surely They won't have a True Freshman as his backup - Will They..?? - Still looks to me PT will have to start getting snaps at QB starting today....What you Think...??

Keep Rockin'

sanantoniosooner
8/3/2006, 07:51 AM
Keep Rockin'
I'm try'n dude.

I'm try'n.

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 07:54 AM
IF Halzle is the Starter ...??? - Surely They won't have a True Freshman as his backup - Will They..?? - Still looks to me PT will have to start getting snaps at QB starting today....What you Think...??

The word at Brasky Central is that PT will be moved back to QB. Will he be there full-time and drop all WR responsibilites? We haven't heard.

Stay Tuned and Stay Rockin'!

sanantoniosooner
8/3/2006, 07:57 AM
My sources say that we are going to hike the ball directly to AD and play without a QB this year.

FaninAma
8/3/2006, 08:07 AM
The word at Brasky Central is that PT will be moved back to QB. Will he be there full-time and drop all WR responsibilites? We haven't heard.

Stay Tuned and Stay Rockin'!

I don't know. If he's moved back to QB only to ride the pines I don't think that will be well received by the fans or media. If he's good enough to start at WR then he should stay there. The kid has sacrificed enough for the screwups in the QB decision making process by the coaches.

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 08:15 AM
I don't know. If he's moved back to QB only to ride the pines I don't think that will be well received by the fans or media. If he's good enough to start at WR then he should stay there. The kid has sacrificed enough for the screwups in the QB decision making process by the coaches.

I agree, but PT is the kind of team player that would do it.

If they do move him to QB and is not the starter I hope he still gets some WR snaps in games.

Hats off to PT for being a Sooner.

Stay Tuned

SoonerSince72
8/3/2006, 08:16 AM
I say let Halzle start, lets see what he can do. It's obvious he was brought in to play backup to Bomar, so it seems to me, the coaches had little or no intention of placing PT back at QB. Besides, he can't do any worse than PT then or now (if PT is moved back to QB) and if he can hit some receivers in between ADs monster runs, then we can still scare the living hell out of everyone we play. Dont forget folks, we have a team of receivers that if you get the ball to them, they will make plays, we will score points! I still believe OU wins 10+ games.

Crimson Glasses and all, this year could still be SOONER OWNED!

FaninAma
8/3/2006, 08:18 AM
I agree, but PT is the kind of team player that would do it.

If they do move him to QB and is not the starter I hope he still gets some WR snaps in games.

Hats off to PT for being a Sooner.

Stay Tuned

If Paul is willing to do this then he automatically becomes one of my all-time favorite Sooners.

swardboy
8/3/2006, 08:22 AM
For all the talk about how passing the ball will open things up for AD, I think it also goes that having an Adrian Peterson in your backfield also opens up the passing game.

Halzle can throw. He proved that at the juco level. He also said coming in how he loved to study film and pick defenses apart. Now this is the man OU recruited to back up Bomar. He's no slouch. With Ad's running threat, I'm rooting for Halzle to step up and amaze us all. Josh Heupel would have killed to have the running game we have now, and see what he did. :D

uncle mo
8/3/2006, 08:26 AM
Bob told the team in the meeting yesterday afternoon that Paul would be the starter. He said that 15 practices with Joey just wasn't enough. Paul, once again, is putting the team ahead of himself. I don't think Bomar or his jack@ss of a father have ever put anything ahead of themselves.

stoopified
8/3/2006, 08:31 AM
He'll be the starter. He'll do great. Book it.Hope you are right but I ain't holdin' my breath.

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 08:37 AM
Bob told the team in the meeting yesterday afternoon that Paul would be the starter. He said that 15 practices with Joey just wasn't enough. Paul, once again, is putting the team ahead of himself. I don't think Bomar or his jack@ss of a father have ever put anything ahead of themselves.Why would Bob name a starter...just like that? No competition...sounds kind of premature.

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 08:43 AM
Uncle Mo, this is the Brasky Central, a reliable and highly respected newssource on soonerfans.com and across the entire universe, thread.

Go start your own thread about this meeting in which you were in attendance yesterday. The Uncle Moe Newsource has no credibility at Brasky Central.

Stay Tuned. Stay Rockin'.

Sidenote: Imagine if PT gets half reps with QB, half with WR. Reverse passes/ Screen Pass Passes/etc. package. Crazy stuff like that. Very exciting.

william_brasky
Why would Bob name a starter...just like that? No competition...sounds kind of premature.

Yes. Stoops always talks about competition.

cowboys70
Tulsa World is reporting that "sources" say that it will be PT.

Sooner-N-KS
8/3/2006, 08:44 AM
He'll be the starter. He'll do great. Book it.

Are we talking about starting punter? :D

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 08:44 AM
Tulsa World is reporting that "sources" say that it will be PT.

Uncle Mo and his orangutan.

cowboys70
8/3/2006, 08:52 AM
Here's what Uncle Mo and his Orangutan said:

What's next for Sooners?: Sources: Thompson will take over at QB
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/3/2006

Paul Thompson's patience has apparently paid off.

Multiple sources on the University of Oklahoma football team said Wednesday night that Thompson, a senior from Leander, Texas, will quarterback the Sooners this season following the dismissal of starter Rhett Bomar.

"Paul's going to be the guy," said one source, who requested anonymity. "There's no trying out. There's no competition. Paul's the guy."

The sources confirmed that head coach Bob Stoops informed the team Wednesday during a routine meeting to welcome the team back from summer break. Players reported Wednesday and preseason practice begins Thursday.

"He said it during the meeting," the source said. "He said Paul's ready, and Paul didn't seem too worried about it."

Many observers anticipated junior college transfer Joey Halzle would inherit the job because he spent all of spring practice at the position while Thompson moved full-time to wide receiver, or that there would at least be a competition between Thompson and Halzle. But Stoops has apparently already chosen Thompson.

A second source with the team said Thompson is the starter now but said that would change if he proved he was not capable of being the Sooners' QB.

"He'll have every opportunity," the second source said.

Thompson and Halzle -- as well as QB coach Josh Heupel -- declined comment following Wednesday night's meeting.

"We're not allowed to talk," Thompson said.

Stoops also declined comment.

Thompson came to Oklahoma in 2002 and was an effective backup to Jason White during White's Heisman Trophy season in 2003. Thompson redshirted the 2004 season -- he was the emergency QB behind White as freshman Tommy Grady got all the mop-up snaps -- in hopes of having two full seasons as the starter.

After Grady transferred to Utah, Thompson beat out Bomar last preseason in a close battle, but was benched after a poor showing in the Sooners' shocking season-opening loss to TCU. In that game, Thompson completed just 11-of-26 passes for 109 yards with an interception and two fumbles and was benched the remainder of the season in favor of Bomar.

While Bomar became seemingly entrenched as the starter, Thompson continued to practice as the backup quarterback, but also moved to wide receiver, where he caught 11 passes for 106 yards last season.

Thompson then spent all of spring practice working out full-time at the wide receiver spot as Halzle was Bomar's backup.

"He had every chance to get a bad attitude and never did," the second source said. "People like that have a tendency to win out in the end."

Halzle signed with OU in December apparently not intimidated by the possibility of Bomar being a four-year starter.

Halzle arrived at OU after two years at Golden West (Calif.) College. He spent one season with a broken ankle, so he has three seasons of eligibility at OU.

Halzle was an academic qualifier out of Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, Calif., but he was undersized and wasn't highly recruited.

Last fall, he completed just 47 percent of his passes (169-of-363) for 2,077 yards with 13 touchdowns and 13 interceptions as the Rustlers battled through major injuries and finished the season just 1-9.

Halzle was a three-year starter at Oaks Christian and was named All-Tri-Valley League and first-team All-California Interscholastic Federation (Oaks Christian won the CIF Division XI title his senior year).

But, he said in December, "I was an inch shorter and about 35 pounds lighter than I am now," Halzle said. "I was a late bloomer, I guess."

Bomar became the Sooners' starter last year, two games into his redshirt freshman season. As the Sooners won six of their last seven games, he showed big-play ability in clutch situations as well as a reliable knowledge of the offense and the trust of his teammates.

Bomar, a third-year sophomore from Grand Prairie, Texas, passed for an OU freshman record 2,018 yards last season. He completed 54.2 percent of his passes with 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Last December, Bomar was named MVP of the Holiday Bowl when he led OU to a 17-14 victory over sixth-ranked Oregon. In that game, Bomar completed 17-of-30 passes for 208 yards and three touchdowns.

OU's other quarterbacks include first-year freshman Sam Bradford from Putnam City North and third-year sophomore Hays McEachern from Austin, Texas.

uncle mo
8/3/2006, 11:16 AM
Uncle Mo and his orangutan.
Bill, my boy, if you wanna PM me I will be happy to tell you what triggered this latest investigation. I will also tell you somewhere that all of the players have been banned from visiting. I will also tell you what Bob told the team about this situation vis a vis previous suspensions.

I haven't posted much or been much on this board in the past couple of years. Maybe this is an in-joke that I don't get. I am just trying to pass on information given to me by a defensive starter following the team meeting last night. FYI.

Soonerman08
8/3/2006, 11:30 AM
Here's what Uncle Mo and his Orangutan said:

What's next for Sooners?: Sources: Thompson will take over at QB
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/3/2006

Paul Thompson's patience has apparently paid off.

Multiple sources on the University of Oklahoma football team said Wednesday night that Thompson, a senior from Leander, Texas, will quarterback the Sooners this season following the dismissal of starter Rhett Bomar.

"Paul's going to be the guy," said one source, who requested anonymity. "There's no trying out. There's no competition. Paul's the guy."

The sources confirmed that head coach Bob Stoops informed the team Wednesday during a routine meeting to welcome the team back from summer break. Players reported Wednesday and preseason practice begins Thursday.

"He said it during the meeting," the source said. "He said Paul's ready, and Paul didn't seem too worried about it."

Many observers anticipated junior college transfer Joey Halzle would inherit the job because he spent all of spring practice at the position while Thompson moved full-time to wide receiver, or that there would at least be a competition between Thompson and Halzle. But Stoops has apparently already chosen Thompson.

A second source with the team said Thompson is the starter now but said that would change if he proved he was not capable of being the Sooners' QB.

"He'll have every opportunity," the second source said.

Thompson and Halzle -- as well as QB coach Josh Heupel -- declined comment following Wednesday night's meeting.

"We're not allowed to talk," Thompson said.

Stoops also declined comment.

Thompson came to Oklahoma in 2002 and was an effective backup to Jason White during White's Heisman Trophy season in 2003. Thompson redshirted the 2004 season -- he was the emergency QB behind White as freshman Tommy Grady got all the mop-up snaps -- in hopes of having two full seasons as the starter.

After Grady transferred to Utah, Thompson beat out Bomar last preseason in a close battle, but was benched after a poor showing in the Sooners' shocking season-opening loss to TCU. In that game, Thompson completed just 11-of-26 passes for 109 yards with an interception and two fumbles and was benched the remainder of the season in favor of Bomar.

While Bomar became seemingly entrenched as the starter, Thompson continued to practice as the backup quarterback, but also moved to wide receiver, where he caught 11 passes for 106 yards last season.

Thompson then spent all of spring practice working out full-time at the wide receiver spot as Halzle was Bomar's backup.

"He had every chance to get a bad attitude and never did," the second source said. "People like that have a tendency to win out in the end."

Halzle signed with OU in December apparently not intimidated by the possibility of Bomar being a four-year starter.

Halzle arrived at OU after two years at Golden West (Calif.) College. He spent one season with a broken ankle, so he has three seasons of eligibility at OU.

Halzle was an academic qualifier out of Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, Calif., but he was undersized and wasn't highly recruited.

Last fall, he completed just 47 percent of his passes (169-of-363) for 2,077 yards with 13 touchdowns and 13 interceptions as the Rustlers battled through major injuries and finished the season just 1-9.

Halzle was a three-year starter at Oaks Christian and was named All-Tri-Valley League and first-team All-California Interscholastic Federation (Oaks Christian won the CIF Division XI title his senior year).

But, he said in December, "I was an inch shorter and about 35 pounds lighter than I am now," Halzle said. "I was a late bloomer, I guess."

Bomar became the Sooners' starter last year, two games into his redshirt freshman season. As the Sooners won six of their last seven games, he showed big-play ability in clutch situations as well as a reliable knowledge of the offense and the trust of his teammates.

Bomar, a third-year sophomore from Grand Prairie, Texas, passed for an OU freshman record 2,018 yards last season. He completed 54.2 percent of his passes with 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Last December, Bomar was named MVP of the Holiday Bowl when he led OU to a 17-14 victory over sixth-ranked Oregon. In that game, Bomar completed 17-of-30 passes for 208 yards and three touchdowns.

OU's other quarterbacks include first-year freshman Sam Bradford from Putnam City North and third-year sophomore Hays McEachern from Austin, Texas.

Unless Paul Thompson can actually show he can throw the ball.....then I say Halzle is in the game sooner rather than later. I don't think it is a wise move to move Thompson to quarterback again...leave him at receiver. The better our receivers our the better it is for the team. Thompson just didn't get it done in the first place when he started against TCU.

Sooner-N-KS
8/3/2006, 11:32 AM
Bill, my boy, if you wanna PM me I will be happy to tell you what triggered this latest investigation. I will also tell you somewhere that all of the players have been banned from visiting. I will also tell you what Bob told the team about this situation vis a vis previous suspensions.

I haven't posted much or been much on this board in the past couple of years. Maybe this is an in-joke that I don't get. I am just trying to pass on information given to me by a defensive starter following the team meeting last night. FYI.

Could you fill us in on your information?

uncle mo
8/3/2006, 11:46 AM
I will tell the part about what Bob said regarding previous suspensions. He told the team that he had given second chances to Dusty and to Brandon Everage because their infractions involved non-NCAA violations of team rules. This time B&Q had flat out violated NCAA rules and there was nothing else that could be done.

I also know that since Bomar was 21, Bob did not have to notify Jerry Jack@ss Bomar that he was taking this action. Found a little bit of justice with that.

That's pretty broad, but it's all I feel comfortable putting out on the public board.

As I have stated, I don't post much here and I don't know how much of what Bill said was a joke. However, I don't think that post counts or post frequency have too much to do with whether someone is posting true info.

I have lived in Norman since the fall of 1981. I have dealt with players in a business relationship since 1989. You can take my word or not, but I will post information that I can and that I think should be made public.

FlatheadSooner
8/3/2006, 11:57 AM
I will tell the part about what Bob said regarding previous suspensions. He told the team that he had given second chances to Dusty and to Brandon Everage because their infractions involved non-NCAA violations of team rules. This time B&Q had flat out violated NCAA rules and there was nothing else that could be done.

I also know that since Bomar was 21, Bob did not have to notify Jerry Jack@ss Bomar that he was taking this action. Found a little bit of justice with that.

That's pretty broad, but it's all I feel comfortable putting out on the public board.

As I have stated, I don't post much here and I don't know how much of what Bill said was a joke. However, I don't think that post counts or post frequency have too much to do with whether someone is posting true info.

I have lived in Norman since the fall of 1981. I have dealt with players in a business relationship since 1989. You can take my word or not, but I will post information that I can and that I think should be made public.

Thanks for the scoop.
Spek.

zeke
8/3/2006, 12:05 PM
I'm confident that Coach Stoops will have the best guy in the QB position.
No matter what the rest of us think.

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 12:09 PM
I will also tell you somewhere that all of the players have been banned from visiting.

Suger's?

JoeUSooner
8/3/2006, 12:32 PM
Halzle is talented, and very much so. He was ranked the #3 JUCO quarterback in the country.

Halzle was timed this past spring at 4.57 and 4.58. Not blazing speed, but he’s not far behind Bomar’s 4.54 and 4.55. Wilson has publicly stated that Halzle has excellent footwork, and (although Halzle is naturally more of a “drop back” passer) he can scramble well enough when needed. He’s bigger (an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier) than Bomar. He has a strong arm (not a true cannon, but much better than average), and the coaches unanimously (!) agree that his long ball is better than Bomar’s! In fact, he actually has a tendency to overpower his passes – which Heupel will have to tone down, very quickly. Admittedly, it has yet to be seen how well he passes on the run, while scrambling or moving the pocket.

Halzle is very bright (and is every bit as much of a “film rat” as Heupel himself), and he amazed the coaches with how fast he learned the playbook. Halzle has not had much time or opportunity to gain control of the offense, but his teammates do (so far) respond well to him in the huddle.

Granted, Halzle did not have a good performance in the Spring game … but he had only been on campus for a few weeks at that time. And his performances in practices up to that time were a pleasant surprise to Wilson AND to Stoops. Nobody’s perfect, but Halzle has a HUGE upside, especially in Wilson’s offense. With Heupel’s tutoring, Halzle should be at least sufficient to give OU a legitimate chance to win every game on the schedule.

Thompson is a terrific athlete, and an excellent runner, and he is a natural leader. And a favorite of many fans (myself included). But his passing is the poorest of the four remaining quarterbacks (it’s even below walkon McEachern’s passing!). While Thompson might be able to run a modified “short spread” offense such as the one Wilson ran his first year at Northwestern, there is no way Thompson can maintain a 55% completion rate. Ain’t happening! Besides, Thompson is an excellent receiver, and that’s where his future lies if he get to play in the pros. After all the sacrifices he made for the team over his first four years here, the coaches owe him the opportunity to shine as a receiver in his senior year.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/3/2006, 12:32 PM
Well Nick Zep says it will be PT and Haz will be #2. So who's it going to be. Brasky or Nick?

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 01:10 PM
Well Nick Zep says it will be PT and Haz will be #2. So who's it going to be. Brasky or Nick?

Please don't pit me against NickLeppard.

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 01:17 PM
If Paul is willing to do this then he automatically becomes one of my all-time favorite Sooners.

I agree. I do not know of any Sooner that has sacrificed as much with a good attitude as he has had. Hell it deserves its own special yearly award.

Crimson Kid
8/3/2006, 01:33 PM
Well poster it looks like you're wrong. he was named the starter today by stoops. ;)

poke4christ
8/3/2006, 01:37 PM
Hazel was a QB coming from a one win Juco team, the only other college recruiting him was Wyoming, and he performed poorly in the spring game. He may get better, but he's not OU stater material at the moment. Thompson is the best bet and will likely start. Hopefully (for OU fans) he won't be too rusty.

Zach

TheHumanAlphabet
8/3/2006, 01:41 PM
Looks like Nick called this one.

Thompson upsides were better than Halzle's. He has three years to learn the system. I like our chances with ENA, a good mix of throw, run and option...Seeing ENA and AD run out to the corners and ENA pitching to AD seems awesome...

poke4christ
8/3/2006, 01:50 PM
Holding up large glass of wiskey

"To Bill Brasky" (Ala drunken Will Ferral)

Zach

P.S. sorry if that jokes been done before

BASSooner
8/3/2006, 01:52 PM
Looks like Nick called this one.

Thompson upsides were better than Halzle's. He has three years to learn the system. I like our chances with ENA, a good mix of throw, run and option...Seeing ENA and AD run out to the corners and ENA pitching to AD seems awesome...
ENA needs to learn to throw the ball to a receiver...if he can do that then I'm comfortable with him starting.

VolinArizona
8/3/2006, 02:41 PM
ROFL at Brasky saying "Book it"

Spray
8/3/2006, 03:24 PM
I have dealt with players in a business relationship since 1989.

That's kind of scary.:D

Crimson Kid
8/3/2006, 05:10 PM
Where's Bill brasky at now lol....

This right here should tell you, never trust anything till you hear it from stoops. :)

Right brasky?

Clever Trevor
8/3/2006, 05:25 PM
Let it be known that your's truly said it early yesterday, that I thought Paul would get the nod.

You should all feel blessed in my presence

okievol
8/3/2006, 05:29 PM
It's a scary time for this program. Losing your QB is like driving down the interstate and the driver faints leaving all the passengers gasping in one voice...''oh chit!''. But it's times like these that new faces come outta seemingly no where as it did with Tennessee when Tony Robinson went down...and Daryl Dickey stepped in and had a great season topping it off with destroying Miami in the Sugar bowl. Most polls I've seen have OU dying on the vine after losing Bomar, with no chance at post season play. I disagree...I think the Sooners will find a way...Stoops is that good, and your recruited back-ups were recruited for a reason, that being they are fine athletes. Its bascially now a matter of coach Stoops leadership and player character IMO.

dolemitesooner
8/3/2006, 07:38 PM
Book it huh ...looks like you can open your mouth and insert your foot cause stoops has announced paul as the starter

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 07:41 PM
When Brasky talks, people giggle.

:D

C&CDean
8/3/2006, 07:42 PM
Book it huh ...looks like you can open your mouth and insert your foot cause stoops has announced paul as the starter

Dang doleo, did yermom let you up for air?

Y'all need to be careful about jumping down ol' Brasky's throat. Before you know it, he's gonna be right.

MiccoMacey
8/3/2006, 08:07 PM
Unless Paul Thompson can actually show he can throw the ball.....then I say Halzle is in the game sooner rather than later. I don't think it is a wise move to move Thompson to quarterback again...leave him at receiver. The better our receivers our the better it is for the team. Thompson just didn't get it done in the first place when he started against TCU.

That's as unfair and possibly dumb a statement as I've heard.

Bomar didn't get it done in the first place against TCU either. Bomar didn't show he could throw the ball very well against TCU...or Tulsa.

This is not to bash Bomar...just to show how inaccurate your statement is.